Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

4 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Doesn't matter. Building super teams is a passion of mine.

No, that's fine. I'm still just thinking about the mechanics here. Would I as another owner prefer that you make one superteam and one crappy team? Would depend on my own strategy.

2 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

No, that's fine. I'm still just thinking about the mechanics here. Would I as another owner prefer that you make one superteam and one crappy team? Would depend on my own strategy.

I would want everyone else to build two respectable teams so my super team could demolish them. My 0-13 team will just be happy to help.

Do sites allow one person to take over two teams in a private league?

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

I would want everyone else to build two respectable teams so my super team could demolish them. My 0-13 team will just be happy to help.

Right, see that's why you'd have to have separate divisions. Each owner with one team in each division. That way your superteam can only dominate half the league, while the other half of the league trounces your other team. Then when the big payout goes to the guy with two 10-6 teams instead of your 16-0 and 0-16 team...then you'll rue the day! Start ruing!

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Yahoo doesn't, I don't think. I run an All-IDP league that's hard to recruit owners for. One season we had to resort to 'Team Robot' that was an autopilot punching bag just to have Yahoo let us start the league--have to have an even number of teams, and we couldn't find one more owner. I had to create a separate account to 'manage' it.

5 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

Right, see that's why you'd have to have separate divisions. Each owner with one team in each division. That way your superteam can only dominate half the league, while the other half of the league trounces your other team. Then when the big payout goes to the guy with two 10-6 teams instead of your 16-0 and 0-16 team...then you'll rue the day! Start ruing!

I was assuming the biggest payout would go to the winner of the league

10 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I was assuming the biggest payout would go to the winner of the league

But if the other teams can get good records in the regular season to get the overall record payout, and then slide players over to their own superteams as teams get eliminated, your regular season dominant team won't be any better than what they can put together for the playoffs. 

Edited by Brotherbock
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

Yahoo doesn't, I don't think. I run an All-IDP league that's hard to recruit owners for. One season we had to resort to 'Team Robot' that was an autopilot punching bag just to have Yahoo let us start the league--have to have an even number of teams, and we couldn't find one more owner. I had to create a separate account to 'manage' it.

Yeah...that would make it sort of a pain to keep having to log on/ log off.  Especially on an app.  I still think it would be fun and interesting.   

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

On ESPN the league creator can be the second owner boot the first owner the person you invited who accepted the invite 

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

On ESPN the league creator can be the second owner boot the first owner the person you invited who accepted the invite 

giphy.gif

:) But honestly I'm confused. So the league owner can be invited to be the second owner, and then boot the first owner, and the league owner now owns two teams? Can that be done for the other owners, so more than just the one person can own two teams?

6 hours ago, afl5013 said:

That's messed up!

Tie in decimal is crazy...had it one time was gonna be first tie ever in our league and I was involved, the guy had Matt Ryan, he lost 2 yards rushing when he knelt at the end of game and I won by .2

ESPN had article up today about players who were on most fantasy playoff teams.  James Connor led the pack.  Not a big surprise, the lottery tickets basically turn to playoff gold.  It sort of confirms my frustration when it comes to fantasy football, that 1 spot matters way too much.  In baseball there are 10 categories and 23 active spots, 1 or 2 lucky picks is hardly a playoff team make.  In football, it seems in most leagues out there this occurs.  

Ways to diversify how to build rosters so that its not all lucky RB/WR driven?

* 2 QB-Superflex?  Brings more strategy into QB acquisition. 

* WE got rid of K and DEF, did 3 player IDP, but that basically turned out to be Kicker lite - basically teams took defensive guys for a $1 same as kickers and defenses. 

* Do you expand other positions points?  Maybe a 2TE league?

With regards to points vs record.  I like a lot of the ideas thrown out there.  We do top points not in playoffs gets 6 seed.  A 6-6 team this year got bumped for 4-8 team.  

7 minutes ago, parrothead said:

ESPN had article up today about players who were on most fantasy playoff teams.  James Connor led the pack.  Not a big surprise, the lottery tickets basically turn to playoff gold.  It sort of confirms my frustration when it comes to fantasy football, that 1 spot matters way too much.  In baseball there are 10 categories and 23 active spots, 1 or 2 lucky picks is hardly a playoff team make.  In football, it seems in most leagues out there this occurs.  

Ways to diversify how to build rosters so that its not all lucky RB/WR driven?

* 2 QB-Superflex?  Brings more strategy into QB acquisition. 

* WE got rid of K and DEF, did 3 player IDP, but that basically turned out to be Kicker lite - basically teams took defensive guys for a $1 same as kickers and defenses. 

* Do you expand other positions points?  Maybe a 2TE league?

With regards to points vs record.  I like a lot of the ideas thrown out there.  We do top points not in playoffs gets 6 seed.  A 6-6 team this year got bumped for 4-8 team.  

Conner was drafted in most leagues with Bells holdout, not sure people drafting him got lucky

7 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Because you obviously had the tougher schedule. This absolutely sucks. I rarely play in a league without one of the following to prevent BS like that

There's three things that you can put up for vote:

1. Two match-ups per week. This limits the weeks where one team who scores significantly high gets penalized with a lost because he faced the highest scoring team of the week. At least in this format, there is a chance to earn a "split" for the week.

2. The Sixth Seed Clause - The 6th seed is not based on record. It's based on the highest scoring team outside of the 5 playoff teams.

3. Victory Point Format - Top 4 teams in scoring get 2 points, Middle 4 teams get 1 points, Bottom 4 teams in scoring get 0 points for the week. End of season tie breakers based on Total Points

Why put your money and the season on the line for a completely randomized luck of the draw schedule.

Because head to head is great and shhtuff happens. 

People's crying and tears about unfairness fills my championship goblet every year. 

13 hours ago, Corleone said:

Are you in a league without decimal point scoring? If so, please switch to that next year :) 

As for the bench points for the year, does your league keep track of that? Or would you manually be adding that week by week to see whose total was highest? I've never heard of such a tiebreaker, but a trial by combat sounds spectacular. Do you get to pick the weapon and if so, the other owner gets to pick the location? If so, I recommend going with the pitchfork and hope for the best. 

Back to the tie option...I guess I could understand to a degree, using bench points as a tiebreaker for an individual week (although I think there are better options myself). But using it for a full season does not make sense to me. Do you guys have any language in your league constitution or rules to refer back to? 

10 hours ago, Johnny Rico said:

It happened to me this season.

46206263231_5f49071198_c.jpg

The no2 and no4 teams in my keeper league have the exact same number of points after 13 weeks...1407.28. We have a 4-team playoff, so we have one regular season week left. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

The no2 and no4 teams in my keeper league have the exact same number of points after 13 weeks...1407.28. We have a 4-team playoff, so we have one regular season week left. 

Good stuff and though it is rare, clearly a tie can happen even without decimal point scoring.

But everyone still should have decimal point scoring nonetheless :) 

Does anyone else have an issue with ESPN showing Colts D with 30+ last week? Pretty sure they finished with around 12 in standard scoring.. Nvm it's multiple defenses, saying my bears scored 20 last week when they had 5 

Edited by vthokie3

8 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

That's pretty crazy

11 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Conner was drafted in most leagues with Bells holdout, not sure people drafting him got lucky

ADP of 153 - thats lottery ticket range. 

43 minutes ago, parrothead said:

ADP of 153 - thats lottery ticket range. 

Speak for yourself.

Need some insight for next year. 

10 team league.

How many playoff teams would you deem fair? 

One league there is 6 the other 4. 

One division? 

What about 5? The top 4 and then the top scorer out of the remaining 6? 

1 bye 

2/5 ; 3/4 

44 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

10 team league.

One division? 

1 bye 

2/5 ; 3/4 

My main league is a 10-team, 2QB auction league (with no divisions). We've been playing since 2006 and the first season was with 4 playoff teams. We changed it to 6 playoff teams for 2007 (with the top 2 teams getting a 1st round bye) and it has remained that way ever since.

The reason for the change to 6, was because there was a consensus it would keep more people interested throughout the season. And it definitely has worked, as the league has lasted together for 13 years and is still going strong.

To give you historic numbers from our league from 2007--2017 (not counting 2006, since that was the 4-playoff team season):

--8 of 11 champions were the #1 or #2 seed, who had a 1st round bye. 

--1 of 11 champions was the #3 seed, with a 9-4 record going into the playoffs (CSB: this was me and this was the best team in league history, despite getting stuck with the #3 seed).

--1 of 11 champions was the #4 seed, with a 7-6 record going into the playoffs.

--1 of 11 champions was the #6 seed, with a 6-7 record going into the playoffs.

Anything can happen in a league, but in our history, the best teams have generally ended up as the championship team, even with 6 playoff spots.

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

10 team league.

One division? 

1 bye 

2/5 ; 3/4 

I think you need to leave aside the notion of "fairness" - if all was fair then you'd just be choosing the guy who scored the most points as the winner, which is dull.

Personally I think you should err on the side of smaller is better in playoffs. I'd always say 4 in a 10-teamer, and frankly I'd say 4 in a 12-teamer too. Six in a 16-teamer seems appropriate (maybe have a couple of byes) and then 8 in a 20-teamer. I think you should at least keep it below 50% to give some proper reward for the regular season.

The caveat is how interested you want the rest of the league to be all the way through. If you have engagement issues make a consolation tournament with real incentives t win or disincentives to lose. I still think keeping the playoffs tight is the best policy.

• Like 1

The idea of trying to remove luck in a game like football where injuries are so prevalent is kind of silly, IMO.  Hell, oftentimes the Super Bowl winner isn't the actual best team, that's the nature of a single elimination format (or a more extreme example, March Madness).

To the guy whose league doesn't want to do decimal scoring, just suggest multiplying points by 10 so that 1 yard = 1 point, lol.  The logic of being against decimals bc decimals seems ridiculous.