Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

24 minutes ago, trilly said:

The idea of trying to remove luck in a game like football where injuries are so prevalent is kind of silly, IMO.  

You can't remove it obviously; but you can minimize it, and I think most people in here would think the less luck the better.

14 hours ago, parrothead said:

ESPN had article up today about players who were on most fantasy playoff teams.  James Connor led the pack.  Not a big surprise, the lottery tickets basically turn to playoff gold.  It sort of confirms my frustration when it comes to fantasy football, that 1 spot matters way too much.  In baseball there are 10 categories and 23 active spots, 1 or 2 lucky picks is hardly a playoff team make.  In football, it seems in most leagues out there this occurs.  

Ways to diversify how to build rosters so that its not all lucky RB/WR driven?

* 2 QB-Superflex?  Brings more strategy into QB acquisition. 

* WE got rid of K and DEF, did 3 player IDP, but that basically turned out to be Kicker lite - basically teams took defensive guys for a $1 same as kickers and defenses. 

* Do you expand other positions points?  Maybe a 2TE league?

With regards to points vs record.  I like a lot of the ideas thrown out there.  We do top points not in playoffs gets 6 seed.  A 6-6 team this year got bumped for 4-8 team.  

The only way to really do this would be to expand starting lineups.  Each individual player would have less effect then.  But really I don't see the problem, yes having Conner this year was a major advantage but not automatic playoffs.  That's just the nature of the game and why it's more popular than baseball.  Even people who don't scour Rotoworld message boards have a chance, because like you said all it takes is 1 or 2 "Lucky" picks and you have a good team.

15 hours ago, parrothead said:

ESPN had article up today about players who were on most fantasy playoff teams.  James Connor led the pack.  Not a big surprise, the lottery tickets basically turn to playoff gold.  It sort of confirms my frustration when it comes to fantasy football, that 1 spot matters way too much.  In baseball there are 10 categories and 23 active spots, 1 or 2 lucky picks is hardly a playoff team make.  In football, it seems in most leagues out there this occurs.  

Ways to diversify how to build rosters so that its not all lucky RB/WR driven?

* 2 QB-Superflex?  Brings more strategy into QB acquisition. 

* WE got rid of K and DEF, did 3 player IDP, but that basically turned out to be Kicker lite - basically teams took defensive guys for a $1 same as kickers and defenses. 

* Do you expand other positions points?  Maybe a 2TE league?

With regards to points vs record.  I like a lot of the ideas thrown out there.  We do top points not in playoffs gets 6 seed.  A 6-6 team this year got bumped for 4-8 team.  

I am all about the 2QB (or Superflex) format. Been doing it for 13 years and it is SO much better than the standard 1QB format. Being able to scoop up good QB's off the WW is really a joke IMO, when you consider that quarterback is the most important and high-profile position in all of sports. We have to consider using mediocre players like Stevan Ridley, Dion Lewis, and Jordy Nelson in our fantasy lineups, for the RB/WR position. But to only be able to use the top 10 to 12 QB's in most fantasy leagues on a weekly basis, while being able to stream top-notch QB's in their place, it just doesn't make sense. 

I also highly endorse the auction format. It gives every owner the ability to build their own roster how they want to, with no reliance on draft position like you see in snake drafts. I tried for a while to get my main league into auction, succeeded two years ago, and everyone loves it. Combine auction with 2QB, and you can build a team that is not just about RB/WR. 

Expanding points for TE has also been a big success. We do modified PPR...it is .25 per catch for RB/WR, but .50 per catch for TE. It gives TE's a bit more value and you have to give an extra consideration to how you draft them. To give an example of the difference in value, Zach Ertz is the #10 player amongst WR/TE in 1 point PPR format, where everyone gets the same 1 point per catch. In the .25/.50 format, Ertz is the #6 player amongst WR/TE. Not a huge change to drastically alter values out of whack, but enough to put TE's more on par with WR's.

As far as starting positions, along with 2 QB, we have it where you have to start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and 1 TE. Then as far as Flex goes, one of the spots is RB/WR. And then we have a final one that is WR/TE. So you can start a max of 3 RB's OR 4 WR's (or 2 TE's). Combining this with 2QB and it's not one of those leagues where it's just a focus on the RB position. 

That's all I got for right now :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

You can't remove it obviously; but you can minimize it, and I think most people in here would think the less luck the better.

I dunno. I think there's a balance to be struck, but I recognize that not everyone wants that balance in the same place. Personally, I think that head-to-head provides an essential bit of intrigue and frustration. I'm totally down with reducing luck by adopting auction drafts and FAAB, but I can live with the frustration of having to trot out an IDP and D/ST in my league. I just see it as part of the fun.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Need some insight for next year. 

10 team league.

How many playoff teams would you deem fair? 

One league there is 6 the other 4. 

One division? 

What about 5? The top 4 and then the top scorer out of the remaining 6? 

1 bye 

2/5 ; 3/4 

Divisions in Fantasy football or any sports dont really make sense, they are kind of an outdated model in real life sports - so no "divisions"

In that 2-5 vs 3-4 what about the next week when 3 teams remain?

In a 10-teamer?  I would say 4 teams myself, take in an extra week so 14 weeks then 4 v 1 and 2 vs 3.  Maybe 4 seed is highest remaining points not in top 3

2 hours ago, Corleone said:

I am all about the 2QB (or Superflex) format. Been doing it for 13 years and it is SO much better than the standard 1QB format. Being able to scoop up good QB's off the WW is really a joke IMO, when you consider that quarterback is the most important and high-profile position in all of sports. We have to consider using mediocre players like Stevan Ridley, Dion Lewis, and Jordy Nelson in our fantasy lineups, for the RB/WR position. But to only be able to use the top 10 to 12 QB's in most fantasy leagues on a weekly basis, while being able to stream top-notch QB's in their place, it just doesn't make sense. 

I also highly endorse the auction format. It gives every owner the ability to build their own roster how they want to, with no reliance on draft position like you see in snake drafts. I tried for a while to get my main league into auction, succeeded two years ago, and everyone loves it. Combine auction with 2QB, and you can build a team that is not just about RB/WR. 

Expanding points for TE has also been a big success. We do modified PPR...it is .25 per catch for RB/WR, but .50 per catch for TE. It gives TE's a bit more value and you have to give an extra consideration to how you draft them. To give an example of the difference in value, Zach Ertz is the #10 player amongst WR/TE in 1 point PPR format, where everyone gets the same 1 point per catch. In the .25/.50 format, Ertz is the #6 player amongst WR/TE. Not a huge change to drastically alter values out of whack, but enough to put TE's more on par with WR's.

As far as starting positions, along with 2 QB, we have it where you have to start 2 RB's, 2 WR's, and 1 TE. Then as far as Flex goes, one of the spots is RB/WR. And then we have a final one that is WR/TE. So you can start a max of 3 RB's OR 4 WR's (or 2 TE's). Combining this with 2QB and it's not one of those leagues where it's just a focus on the RB position. 

That's all I got for right now :) 

Thanks we have some of that in place. 

Our lineup has 2 flexes, in addition to 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, only rule is that one flex is WR/TE only so cant start 4 RB. 

We have been auction since day 1, we are actually auction-keeper. 

I have been lobbying 2QB to my co-commissioner for years and he just wont go for it.  His big thing is that QB are such a big scorer that he thinks with 12 teams in our league that it will create lobsided matchups where teams only have 1 QB to play and will struggle and that then it throws the fantasy schedule randomness into outcome.  

6 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Divisions in Fantasy football or any sports dont really make sense, they are kind of an outdated model in real life sports - so no "divisions"

In that 2-5 vs 3-4 what about the next week when 3 teams remain?

In a 10-teamer?  I would say 4 teams myself, take in an extra week so 14 weeks then 4 v 1 and 2 vs 3.  Maybe 4 seed is highest remaining points not in top 3

Agreed on the 4 teams. I quite like having divisions in our league, but only because it's 20 teams. We have four divisions of five. The winner of each division gets to draft their own division the following year in a snake draft. Each team plays their own divisional rivals twice and then five other guys. Of course, that adds an extra bit of luck into the equation too, but it spices it up a bit.

5 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Thanks we have some of that in place. 

Our lineup has 2 flexes, in addition to 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, only rule is that one flex is WR/TE only so cant start 4 RB. 

We have been auction since day 1, we are actually auction-keeper. 

I have been lobbying 2QB to my co-commissioner for years and he just wont go for it.  His big thing is that QB are such a big scorer that he thinks with 12 teams in our league that it will create lobsided matchups where teams only have 1 QB to play and will struggle and that then it throws the fantasy schedule randomness into outcome.  

Interesting similarities...and we are auction keeper as well (max of 3 keepers, where any keeper goes up $3 in price from their previous year's price). 

For the 2QB matter, what about going over to a Superflex spot? That way for any owners who don't have a second QB in a given week, they can still put a RB/WR/TE in that spot. That could be a good compromise between you and the co-commish.

One other thing, about fantasy schedule randomness. I play on CBS and am not certain that it is a completely random schedule. My feeling over the years has been that the top teams seem to get the tougher schedules (i.e. as we play 4 owners twice in a season, I think that the prior year's top owners get matched up twice against fellow top teams). Of course the schedule is generated before the draft, so last year's top owner might end up with a weak team the next season...but I think CBS pits the top owner slots against each other (similar to how the NFL has last year's 4th place teams play some 4th place teams from other divisions). Or it could just be my imagination too! :lol:

58 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I dunno. I think there's a balance to be struck, but I recognize that not everyone wants that balance in the same place. 

The only people in favor of adding luck into the equation are people not good at fantasy football.

52 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Agreed on the 4 teams. I quite like having divisions in our league, but only because it's 20 teams. We have four divisions of five. The winner of each division gets to draft their own division the following year in a snake draft. Each team plays their own divisional rivals twice and then five other guys. Of course, that adds an extra bit of luck into the equation too, but it spices it up a bit.

I should have maybe quantified my response, large leagues where the number of teams exceeds the number of weeks, divisions make 100% sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corleone said:

Interesting similarities...and we are auction keeper as well (max of 3 keepers, where any keeper goes up $3 in price from their previous year's price). 

For the 2QB matter, what about going over to a Superflex spot? That way for any owners who don't have a second QB in a given week, they can still put a RB/WR/TE in that spot. That could be a good compromise between you and the co-commish.

One other thing, about fantasy schedule randomness. I play on CBS and am not certain that it is a completely random schedule. My feeling over the years has been that the top teams seem to get the tougher schedules (i.e. as we play 4 owners twice in a season, I think that the prior year's top owners get matched up twice against fellow top teams). Of course the schedule is generated before the draft, so last year's top owner might end up with a weak team the next season...but I think CBS pits the top owner slots against each other (similar to how the NFL has last year's 4th place teams play some 4th place teams from other divisions). Or it could just be my imagination too! :lol:

We do MFFL and it seems the schedule is not all that random, I seem to play same team twice in most years. 

Our keepers (4 of them) are 1.5 times value from season before.  Can only be kept 2 seasons.   So year A draft for 10, second year 15, 3rd year 23.  

1 of the 4 who were in their first year you can "franchise' them for 1 year, they stay same salary but then year 2 becomes final year. 

I have offered the suggestion of super-flex, we have explained it to him to no avail...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

The only people in favor of adding luck into the equation are people not good at fantasy football.

At the expense of simplicity tho?

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

I don't mind the luck aspect of it.   It's the same as the real NFL season.   The good teams can withstand some bad luck such as the Chiefs and the Hunt situation or the Steelers and Connor.   They won't be as good but they've put together enough talent to still be a top team.   On the other hand, a weaker team like the Reskins (who might have limped in to the playoffs) are pretty much done with the Smith injury.   

• Like 1

Anyone know where to find the nfl channel expert league and the fantasy live experts legue settings/rules?

I want to implemented some changes next year and curious to what those experts league settings are.

55 minutes ago, fingers said:

At the expense of simplicity tho?

Not at all.

Removing the K spot, for example, minimizes luck and actually makes things simpler.

29 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Not at all.

Removing the K spot, for example, minimizes luck and actually makes things simpler.

Granted it's a longtime friends league, but I love beating my opponent with my kicker. Makes the s*** talk exponentially better. One of my favorite ways to win

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Not at all.

I'd like to see the team's kicker rolled into the D/ST 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, fingers said:

I'd like to see the team's kicker rolled into the D/ST 

If that was a Yahoo options I'd like that I think.

14 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Need some insight for next year. 

10 team league.

How many playoff teams would you deem fair? 

One league there is 6 the other 4. 

One division? 

What about 5? The top 4 and then the top scorer out of the remaining 6? 

1 bye 

2/5 ; 3/4 

I guess I'm not understanding correctly but this math doesn't seem to add up for me. 

If team 1 has a BYE then 4 others play, you will have 3 winners. 

You can't have a 3 way title game. I mean, I guess you could, but sounds dumb to me. 

I always believed that playoffs should be half the teams or less. Therefore in 10 man only 4 would go. 

13 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

I'm against luck removal. I love it. I've been playing a while and been on both sides. 

Obviously when you get screwed you're angry and might even demand change, but luck brings drama IMO and for me and my leagues I believe it's the drama that's always kept us coming back. 

Sad but interesting story... More people have died in my league than have left on their own the past 5 years. We're all fairly young too. 

• Thanks 1

If your league has issues in week 14, your league has issues. 

Issues are bad. 

8 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm against luck removal. I love it. I've been playing a while and been on both sides. 

How can anyone be against luck removal? Really? 

1 hour ago, weakkneeswilly said:

How can anyone be against luck removal? Really? 

I kind of understand where they are coming from cause it can make the league more competitive since it introduces a factor that makes it so "worse" teams can still  be competitive with "better" teams which can overall lead to increased tension, interest and drama. However, I think there is already enough luck/chance inherently involved in fantasy football that one should attempt to minimize it. I agree some luck is better than absolute zero luck but I don't see anyway to completely remove luck from the equation and in certain league settings (even some default ones) luck holds a much higher weight than it probably should. Luck can go both ways though so I think it ultimately comes down to the league members to decide the appropriate amount for them especially when factoring in league size and talent/experience/activity level of the members. 

Biggest way to minimize luck is to do an auction instead of draft, which I certainly prefer. 

If you're in a draft league and talking about minimizing luck, anything that doesn't start with that isn't a very serious conversation.

1 hour ago, trilly said:

Biggest way to minimize luck is to do an auction instead of draft, which I certainly prefer. 

If you're in a draft league and talking about minimizing luck, anything that doesn't start with that isn't a very serious conversation.

The draft order is probably the smallest contribution that luck makes to FF.