Dreams And Dwightmares

2018 Commissioner's Corner

Injury is obviously the largest one but nothing can be done about that. I guess we'll agree to disagree on the skill that auction adds vs. draft, but one allows multiple team construction strategies to be applied and measures your valuation skills relative to other league members, dramatically increasing the skill element, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trilly said:

Injury is obviously the largest one but nothing can be done about that. I guess we'll agree to disagree on the skill that auction adds vs. draft, but one allows multiple team construction strategies to be applied and measures your valuation skills relative to other league members, dramatically increasing the skill element, IMO.

You're not wrong that draft order adds more luck than auction, that wasn't my point. My point (and I'm one who constantly reminds people that this isn't all luck, btw) is that there are other much more significant elements of luck than draft order. As you say, injury, but also H2H scheduling for those who use it, weather. Woman-beating videos :/ 

I haven't ever seen any real correlation  between league winners and draft spot--it's not like the guys who get the 1-3 picks win more often than others. Well, maybe it is, but it's not anything I've ever noticed, and I've paid some attention to it.  But for sure the teams who get ravaged by injury don't do well, the guys who get the toughest H2H schedule, etc.

So you're right that you can eliminate some luck by going auction and leaving everything else the same. I was just saying that it's low down on how significant the effects of that luck are. And we may still disagree about that too :) 

7 minutes ago, trilly said:

Auction draft vs. snake draft isn't really all that much different in my opinion.  Yes, with auction you can control who you get a little better.  But if your 1st or 2nd round pick gets hurt or someone you don't 30+ percent of your auction budget on, is tough to recover.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I want some opinions here. I am in a money league with some of my best friends of over 10 years.
I needed a win this week and a loss for my brother to get into the playoffs. It looks like I did my part. I check my brother's opponent's lineup before the midday games and find that he benched Gurley for Rashad Penny and Juju Smith-Schuster for Saeed Blacknail (who he just picked up from free agents).
I reach out to the commissioner, who is the person I'd be playing in the playoffs next week if not for these surprise benchings, and he says there is nothing that can be done and that it's completely okay for that person to bench Gurley and Juju since he paid his league fees like everyone else.
I know that my brother did not reach out to tell the person to do this (my brother offered to bench two of his stars to balance it out which I said was ridiculous).

I obviously will not be in this league in the future, but can I get some opinions on a situation like this? Should the commissioner have stepped in?

8 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Hey guys, I want some opinions here. I am in a money league with some of my best friends of over 10 years.
I needed a win this week and a loss for my brother to get into the playoffs. It looks like I did my part. I check my brother's opponent's lineup before the midday games and find that he benched Gurley for Rashad Penny and Juju Smith-Schuster for Saeed Blacknail (who he just picked up from free agents).
I reach out to the commissioner, who is the person I'd be playing in the playoffs next week if not for these surprise benchings, and he says there is nothing that can be done and that it's completely okay for that person to bench Gurley and Juju since he paid his league fees like everyone else.
I know that my brother did not reach out to tell the person to do this (my brother offered to bench two of his stars to balance it out which I said was ridiculous).

I obviously will not be in this league in the future, but can I get some opinions on a situation like this? Should the commissioner have stepped in?

Why didn't he want to make the playoffs? Is there incentive to finish first team out?

Edit: I misread. So he threw his game to get a better playoff matchup? This happens a lot.

Edited by dmb3684

Just now, dmb3684 said:

Why didn't he want to make the playoffs? Is there incentive to finish first team out?

He has been eliminated for weeks. Sorry if my post was not very clear. The person playing my brother (the guy with juju gurley) has been eliminated for weeks, but my brother needs a win to be in the playoffs. I need a win and my brother's loss to get in.

5 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

He has been eliminated for weeks. Sorry if my post was not very clear. The person playing my brother (the guy with juju gurley) has been eliminated for weeks, but my brother needs a win to be in the playoffs. I need a win and my brother's loss to get in.

Bush league move.

4 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Oh. Then ya, commish should step in.

2 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Bush league move.

Just now, dmb3684 said:

Oh. Then ya, commish should step in.

If the commish should step in, what do you recommend he do? I asked if he could re-adjust the lineup and he said that is not his job.

Just now, MMLSU said:

If the commish should step in, what do you recommend he do? I asked if he could re-adjust the lineup and he said that is not his job.

I'm guessing you won't change his mind.

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

How did someone with Gurley and JuJu not make the playoffs?

Just now, dmb3684 said:

I'm guessing you won't change his mind.

He also has Kelce.. he had some terrible luck early on in terms of losing to very high scoring teams, etc.

Yeah guess not. Sucks to lose money AND friends over a fantasy game, honestly. Just pathetic.

1 minute ago, MMLSU said:

He also has Kelce.. he had some terrible luck early on in terms of losing to very high scoring teams, etc.

Yeah guess not. Sucks to lose money AND friends over a fantasy game, honestly. Just pathetic.

Whaaaat that's nuts. 

Gurley team is in first in all my leagues.

Whaaaat that's nuts. 

Gurley team is in first in all my leagues.

There are a number of different reasons as to why a Gurley team wouldn't have made the playoffs. Injuries...league format (such as 2QB or Superflex)...bad luck with playing opponents on their top week.

In my main league, during the regular seasons, the three different Gurley owners went a combined 5-8.
The first owner went 0-2 and desperately needed QB help (2QB league). I traded him Cousins and Thielen (both at great keeper prices, esp. Thielen).

I went 4-3 with Gurley. I desperately needed QB help as well, so I traded him for Ben/Ertz/Allen.

The final owner went 1-3 with Gurley.

Back to the question at hand though, I think the commish absolutely should have stepped in to put the starters back in that one owner's starting lineup. If the owner was headed to the playoffs, the benching could be justified because he might not have wanted to face you in the playoffs. I am not a fan of that strategy, but it does happen in some leagues. 

However, for someone out of the playoffs, that's just benching starters to be a d*ck and has no justification. 

9 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Are you and your brother not close? 'd say something if I were him.

9 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Yeah, I agree with the commish here that he has the freedom to set his own lineup, and it would be a bad precedent to set to have the commish adjust someone's lineup because they think its not their best one.

Him purposely benching his best players to influence the outcome of the playoffs is immature, and lame, but IMO there are only 2 things that can be done about it.  Either ask him not to come back next year because everyone wants to play in a competitive league, or you just leave the league.

1 minute ago, Corleone said:

There are a number of different reasons as to why a Gurley team wouldn't have made the playoffs. Injuries...league format (such as 2QB or Superflex)...bad luck with playing opponents on their top week.

In my main league, during the regular seasons, the three different Gurley owners went a combined 5-8.
The first owner went 0-2 and desperately needed QB help (2QB league). I traded him Cousins and Thielen (both at great keeper prices, esp. Thielen).

I went 4-3 with Gurley. I desperately needed QB help as well, so I traded him for Ben/Ertz/Allen.

The final owner went 1-3 with Gurley.

If you have Gurley and aren't in the playoffs, you aren't good at fantasy football. Period.

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Are you and your brother not close? 'd say something if I were him.

My brother reached out to both the opponent and the commissioner to fix it because we are both competitive and want a fair league. Both refused to do anything.

If you have Gurley and aren't in the playoffs, you aren't good at fantasy football. Period.

I stated several reasons as to why a Gurley owner might not make the playoffs, but we all have our opinions...

3 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

Yeah, I agree with the commish here that he has the freedom to set his own lineup, and it would be a bad precedent to set to have the commish adjust someone's lineup because they think its not their best one.

Him purposely benching his best players to influence the outcome of the playoffs is immature, and lame, but IMO there are only 2 things that can be done about it.  Either ask him not to come back next year because everyone wants to play in a competitive league, or you just leave the league.

Not a little fishy that it benefits the commissioner because now he gets a weaker opponent in round one? I can't prove any collusion, of course.

Fair enough though as I will not be playing with them next year. Just sucks because these are some of my best friends since elementary school even. Not sure why anyone would be such a sore loser about a fake game.

7 minutes ago, MMLSU said:

Not a little fishy that it benefits the commissioner because now he gets a weaker opponent in round one? I can't prove any collusion, of course.

Fair enough though as I will not be playing with them next year. Just sucks because these are some of my best friends since elementary school even. Not sure why anyone would be such a sore loser about a fake game.

Yeah, I mean its definitely a little fishy.  I just think that if I were commish my response to this wouldn't be to change his lineup.  It would be to reach out to this guy (obviously before the games are played if possible), and tell him if he does this then we will consider not having him back in the league next year.  

I know what you mean..unfortunately it can be hard to find a group of 10-12 people where everyone takes it seriously enough to be competitive and play respectfully.  

Edited by Hero202

Can't do much but as a commish I try and reach out to ppl before games if they have any empty spots or what not. This seems fishy and I would have msged to see what was going on.

On 12/8/2018 at 4:59 PM, trilly said:

Biggest way to minimize luck is to do an auction instead of draft, which I certainly prefer. 

If you're in a draft league and talking about minimizing luck, anything that doesn't start with that isn't a very serious conversation.

I play in both and think snake requires more skill.  I find that ADP fluctuates more than AAV so you have to think more on the fly. 

On 12/8/2018 at 1:59 PM, trilly said:

Biggest way to minimize luck is to do an auction instead of draft, which I certainly prefer. 

If you're in a draft league and talking about minimizing luck, anything that doesn't start with that isn't a very serious conversation.

We do auction, more because its a fairer way to do roster construction, but the "luck" in terms of falling a** backwards into a James Connoer or last year Alvin Kamara or things like that can happen same in either way.  I think the issue in FF is that when you remove the Kicker, Defense and 1 QB away, your really talking about in most average leagues a 5-6 player lineup and if you hit on 1 luck it has a much bigger impact. 

To use a fantasy comparison.  So compare it to traditional Roto baseball, 23 Active spots.   Rarely is someone going to "luck" into 4 or 5 guys who emerge as stars, but that is kind of what happens in football because that player makes up really 15-20+% of your core variable starting lineup.   

I also think sometimes in football, fantasy wise some of the scoring doesnt necessarily lessen the impact of "luck". 

* Game flow is nearly impossible to do much about - team is down, garbage time, Running back who doesnt catch passes and team falls behind - thats part of the game. 

* I think TD's perhaps are a little too valuable?   Ive proposed making them like worth 3 points for a TD less than 20 yards, 4 points 21-50 5 points 50-80 and 6 for 80+

* Decimal scoring with no bonus points 

28 minutes ago, parrothead said:

We do auction, more because its a fairer way to do roster construction, but the "luck" in terms of falling a** backwards into a James Connoer or last year Alvin Kamara or things like that can happen same in either way.

I agree. The difference between auction and snake in a nutshell.

--Snake draft: I want Todd Gurley. You want Todd Gurley. You got the 12th pick, so you have zero chance to draft a player you want. That's not fair and doesn't make sense.

--Auction draft: I want Todd Gurley. You want Todd Gurley. Either of us has the ability to draft the player we want. That's fair and makes sense.

And in both formats, either person can get a "lucky" pick of a player who does better than everyone expects.