Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

15 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Bottom line with the compensation picks a team will get for Machado rental I’m not letting any low level pitching prospect stand in way of a deal. 

Teams that trade for players with comp picks attached to them don't receive those comp picks...they go away. If/When Manny walks away from the Dodgers at the end of the season, the Dodgers will get nothing.

9 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

Teams that trade for players with comp picks attached to them don't receive those comp picks...they go away. If/When Manny walks away from the Dodgers at the end of the season, the Dodgers will get nothing.

Good info I didn’t know that.

They should have included Gavin Lux rather than Dustin May but that's on them.  I'd rather have kept May.  

Rich Eisen show just said deal might be held up due to medicals... what's with bal and their strict physical reports anyway

22 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

I've felt this way too. I think Moustakas for 3B could be the backup plan for Machado. Possibly Duffy included as well. Then Andújar is centerpiece around a deal for an ace like DeGrom. 

If I'm dealing deGrom to the Yanks, Torres  would have to be the centerpeice of the deal.  Torres plus Frazie and Bird?  Anything less, and I'd move down to Wheeler, or Matz 

10 minutes ago, dgstrat said:

If I'm dealing deGrom to the Yanks, Torres  would have to be the centerpeice of the deal.  Torres plus Frazie and Bird?  Anything less, and I'd move down to Wheeler, or Matz 

Torres ain't getting moved for anyone.  Andujar maybe.

8 minutes ago, dgstrat said:

Would never happen in a bazillion years even for just Gleyber alone.

The Mets have two amazing assets but with zero support around them and very little support coming up through the system. So they can choose to deal their SP for an actual shot to rebuild or be stuck with two disgruntled aces and continue to lose.

Not exactly a great position to be in leverage-wise. 

57 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Rich Eisen show just said deal might be held up due to medicals... what's with bal and their strict physical reports anyway

damn hang nails

Torres is already more valuable than deGrom as a trade piece. 

1 hour ago, WahooManiac said:

Their BS strategy is so transparent... trying to get more last minute offers from other teams.

9 minutes ago, MireLurker said:

Their BS strategy is so transparent... trying to get more last minute offers from other teams.

Or LA trying to deal off a few lemons.  Julio Urias is healthy, we promise.

Like WahooManiac said, Manny still not wearing Dodger blue yet.  Rotoworld blurb about the situation:

Wed, Jul 18

According to Steve Phillips of MLB Network Radio, there is a "possible snag" in the Dodgers' expected acquisition of Orioles superstar Manny Machado.

Advice: Phillips hears from a source that "one or more" of the prospects that the Dodgers offered to Baltimore had some "issues in their physicals" -- as in, medical issues. This is not new territory for the Orioles, who have multiple times in the recent past rejected trades and asked for contracts to be reworked following physical examinations. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported Tuesday night, during the MLB All-Star Game, that Machado was all but certain to be dealt to Los Angeles before the start of the second half. Phillips now writes that this situation "may open the door for other clubs" to jump back in. Stay tuned.

More: Steve Phillips on Twitter                                                                     (Rotoworld.com)

All the other clubs must really hate dealing with the Orioles at this point.

I was going to put this in the Machado thread but it seems more appropriate here.  I really really hate it when people make the argument that "pitching prospects never work out, might as well trade em away for known talent". Yeah the bust rate is massive, especially recently it seems with injuries. Still developing a young ace starter can absolutely be franchise changing. Retrospect is 20/20 but you can look back and see plenty of examples of teams trading away pitchers for rentals/vets that backfired big time. Syndergaard for Dickey? Arrieta/Strop for Feldman? Hendricks for Dempster? Scherzer for Jackson/Kennedy? Wainwright for Drew? Lee for Colon? I'm sure there are more if you look further.  Severino had been thrown around in several rumors over the past few years.  The Yankees rotation would be pretty awful if they went that route.

Yeah I'm sure there are plenty of examples of the opposite.  I'm cherry picking and even including rumors.  Just my opinion that the high risk is worth the massive reward when it comes to pitching prospects for teams looking to the future.

13 hours ago, STLSU said:

Wow this is crazy talk:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/red-sox-trade-rumors-luxury-tax-starting-pitcher-rotation.html

Though the past 12 months in Major League Baseball have been largely punctuated by big-market clubs performing financial gymnastics to avoid crossing the $197MM luxury tax barrier (e.g. Giants, Yankees, Dodgers), the Red Sox are of a different mindset. Boston, of course, has already exceeded the $197MM threshold — so much so that the team is already on the hook for an extra 12 percent surtax on every dollar spent over $217MM (plus 20 percent on everything north of $197MM). But Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Bostonthat the organization is willing, in the right scenario, for its luxury tax ledger to cross the $237MM mark that represents the most severe point of taxation.

As Drellich explains, the Sox are already in line to pay something in the vicinity of $10MM in luxury tax penalties based on their spending to date. The collective bargaining agreement, though, stipulates that a team exceeding the initial tax barrier by more than $40MM will not only pay a 42.5 percent surtax on every dollar spent beyond $237MM (in addition to the standard 20 percent), it’d also see its top pick in the following year’s draft pushed back 10 spots (provided that pick is not within the top six of the draft, which obviously will not be the case).

So what they wasted money on Sandoval and Castillo and are paying an over the hill Pedroia, what's another $10 million? They are a  very rich team that can easily absorb the tax

15 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

So what they wasted money on Sandoval and Castillo and are paying an over the hill Pedroia, what's another $10 million? They are a  very rich team that can easily absorb the tax

2019 Red Sox: One Billion or Bust

3 hours ago, dgstrat said:

Here's how to even up that deal:

Remove: Frazier, Bird

Add: Syndergaard

15 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

2019 Red Sox: One Billion or Bust

Yea if the owner doesn't care why should anyone else, its his money

3 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

soooo quantity and not quality im assuming

Yeah I think that I read Diaz is only their 4th ranked prospect?  

18 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah I think that I read Diaz is only their 4th ranked prospect?  

according to mlb...hes #84 overall.

not to get all tinfoil, but this trade seems somewhat suspect.  i mean i get hes a rental...but i dunno.

People here don't seem satisfied with the return Baltimore is getting. Must be this is the best deal . Easy to say they should get this or that . Also easy to say Baltimore should wait or hold out . In the mean time what do they get if Machado gets hurt ? 

Major League Baseball front offices are smarter about this stuff than we are . No matter what happens most here will never be happy with what happens . 

1 minute ago, motown magic said:

People here don't seem satisfied with the return Baltimore is getting. Must be this is the best deal . Easy to say they should get this or that . Also easy to say Baltimore should wait or hold out . In the mean time what do they get if Machado gets hurt ? 

Major League Baseball front offices are smarter about this stuff than we are . No matter what happens most here will never be happy with what happens . 

It’s just wild to see rental Chapman land Torres, rental Samardzija land Russell, etc. and a superstar gets nothing near that return. But I guess it was so clear how desperate the Orioles were to move him they lost all leverage.

10 minutes ago, tywalson said:

It’s just wild to see rental Chapman land Torres, rental Samardzija land Russell, etc. and a superstar gets nothing near that return. But I guess it was so clear how desperate the Orioles were to move him they lost all leverage.

Samardzija was NOT a rental

Chapman trade was an exception. Not the norm

I guess I’m in the minority that feels this is a pretty solid return for Baltimore. I don’t think expecting them to land a top 50 prospect was all that realistic given how the market for rental position players has played out the last few years. Diaz looks to be a quick riser and I would be surprised if he doesn’t crack the preseason top 50 on prospect lists next year. They also seemed to land some other pretty interesting pieces in the deal.