Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, MireLurker said:

Didn't want to quote a long comment.

 

[ProTip: You can select a portion of a comment to quote only the relevant section, as I just did here.  Even works on mobile.  Carry on.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB.com's Mark Feinsand reports that the Padres are drawing "significant interest" in Kirby Yates.

Yates is set to take over as the Padres' closer following the trade of Brad Hand, but he could find himself as a setup man again on another team. The righty boasts a 2.89 ERA and 135/30 K/BB ratio over 93 1/3 innings for the Padres since last season and is under team control through 2020. If he does wind up getting traded Craig Stammen and/or Phil Maton might be next in line to close for the Padres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, absknicks said:

Torres is already more valuable than deGrom as a trade piece. 

 

Fangraphs has Torres ranked #20 and deGrom ranked #25 in their Trade Value rankings, for anyone interested. That's obviously taken in a vacuum, but anyone who thinks Torres+ for deGrom is something the Yankees are interested is mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, David Aames said:

MLB.com's Mark Feinsand reports that the Padres are drawing "significant interest" in Kirby Yates.

Yates is set to take over as the Padres' closer following the trade of Brad Hand, but he could find himself as a setup man again on another team. The righty boasts a 2.89 ERA and 135/30 K/BB ratio over 93 1/3 innings for the Padres since last season and is under team control through 2020. If he does wind up getting traded Craig Stammen and/or Phil Maton might be next in line to close for the Padres.

 

They 100% should deal Yates as well.   Hell, throw Stammen in the deal. 

 

This off-season's free agent reliever market is LOADED.  Plus SD has in house arms that may be able to replenish the bullpen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JFS179 said:

 

He played 3B in the AFL ... lots of scouts are convinced he's not a long term C anyway, and as you mentioned SD already has Hedges.  I've heard 2B and 3B mentioned as destinations for Mejia.  Stick him at 3rd for the next two months and find out if he can hit.

 

Yeah,  3B makes sense.   Hedges is a nice glove with some hitting upside, Urias is the future at 2b, and Tatis is the future at SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, absknicks said:

 

Fangraphs has Torres ranked #20 and deGrom ranked #25 in their Trade Value rankings, for anyone interested. That's obviously taken in a vacuum, but anyone who thinks Torres+ for deGrom is something the Yankees are interested is mistaken.

 

I wonder if the Yankees lose the wild card game how Brian Cashman will feel.

They would have to burn Severino should they win the WC game.

 

I think Cashman knows he needs a Bumgarner or deGrom if there is even the slightest chance either could be obtained,  which currently they are not.

He missed out on Verlander last year and watched Houston win the World Series.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

 

I wonder if the Yankees lose the wild card game how Brian Cashman will feel.

They would have to burn Severino should they win the WC game.

 

I think Cashman knows he needs a Bumgarner or deGrom if there is even the slightest chance either could be obtained,  which currently they are not.

He missed out on Verlander last year and watched Houston win the World Series.

 

To think they could've had Cole for Frazier+ probably still burns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

To think they could've had Cole for Frazier+ probably still burns.

 

Frazier + Andujar - whom Cash was unwilling to part with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

 

Frazier + Andujar - whom Cash was unwilling to part with

It wasn't that much. Frazier plus anyone would have better than what they got from Houston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

 

Frazier + Andujar - whom Cash was unwilling to part with

 

Interesting.

 

Reality is the Cole we're seeing this year is a completely different guy than we've seen in his career up until now.   Throw in a history including some elbow issues and I don't blame NYY for passing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, duke of queens said:

It wasn't that much. Frazier plus anyone would have better than what they got from Houston.

 

Incorrect:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinstripealley.com/platform/amp/2018/1/14/16889394/yankees-trade-rumors-gerrit-cole-miguel-andujar-gleyber-torres-estevan-florial-justus-sheffield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

No where in there does it say Frazier + Andujar was asked for.

 

You’re right that Frazier had to be included, but you probably missed this portion:

 

“...sources familiar with the discussions told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick that New York held the line on including prospects Gleyber TorresJustus SheffieldEstevan Florial or Miguel Andujar in any trade, so the Pirates had to shift their attention to other potential targets.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

 

You’re right that Frazier had to be included, but you probably missed this portion:

 

“...sources familiar with the discussions told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick that New York held the line on including prospects Gleyber TorresJustus SheffieldEstevan Florial or Miguel Andujar in any trade, so the Pirates had to shift their attention to other potential targets.”

"sources familar with the discussions" . So Andujar and Florial is worth it? He is a top 10 pitcher this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

 

...sources familiar with the discussions told ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick that New York held the line on including prospects Gleyber TorresJustus SheffieldEstevan Florial or Miguel Andujar in any trade, so the Pirates had to shift their attention to other potential targets.”

Andujar is not an untouchable IMO but whatever.  I feel Florial is improving but not there yet either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

To think they could've had Cole for Frazier+ probably still burns.

hindsight is always 20/20

 

cole was coming off a crappy year with a 4 and half era and high FIP in the weak hitting NL central.

 

his HR rate nearly doubled as well.  it was tough to predict hed have a break out year in the AL

 

sorry @96mnc - you basically said the same thing above. and i agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, duke of queens said:

"sources familar with the discussions" . So Andujar and Florial is worth it? He is a top 10 pitcher this year.

 

Clearly the Cole of 2018 is not the Cole of years prior.  I was simply pointing out the fact that you were incorrect in claiming Frazier + (anyone) would’ve gotten the deal done.  I think that point is sufficiently proven at this point and am moving on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

 

Clearly the Cole of 2018 is not the Cole of years prior.  I was simply pointing out the fact that you were incorrect in claiming Frazier + (anyone) would’ve gotten the deal done.  I think that point is sufficiently proven at this point and am moving on.

Not really as I heard this directly from Joel Sherman on MLB Network and you are quoting Jerry Crasnick. I'll take Sherman over Crasnick any day of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Cards will trade Jose Martinez to an AL team or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

 

Yeah,  3B makes sense.   Hedges is a nice glove with some hitting upside, Urias is the future at 2b, and Tatis is the future at SS.

I really think the Padres made a mistake acquiring Mejia ... His best position is DH. 

Defensive defencies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I wonder if the Cards will trade Jose Martinez to an AL team or something.

not sure who need him tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I wonder if the Cards will trade Jose Martinez to an AL team or something.

 

Why have the Cards benched him?  Has he faded seriously?  If so why would any AL team want him right now?  I'm actually asking because I haven't be following him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

Why have the Cards benched him?  Has he faded seriously?  If so why would any AL team want him right now?  I'm actually asking because I haven't be following him.

A butcher in the field.  He's a DH on an NL roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

Why have the Cards benched him?  Has he faded seriously?  If so why would any AL team want him right now?  I'm actually asking because I haven't be following him.

Great at hitting, terrible at fielding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites