Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

24 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I'm fine with adding Britton, but I think the Yankees overpaid here.  Still a ton of question marks surrounding Britton and Tate/Carroll are both good prospects. Rogers isn't a slouch, either. 

As someone who's very familiar with the Yankees farm system, I have to say I think the Orioles did very well in this deal. 

they would be rule 5 guys

this was a smart trade tbh

Are the Padres as stupid as the Mets by buying into a player they can't keep come FA time.  Or will the Mets be too stupid to see all the young arms the Pads have.  Inquiring minds want to know.  I predict nothing will happen.

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that the Padres have checked in with the Mets about Noah Syndergaard.

San Diego has the kind of loaded farm system it would take to fetch Syndergaard, so there may be something to this even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface with the Padres far out of contention for the 2018 postseason. Syndergaard is under control through 2021 via salary arbitration, and this trade would be more about the next three seasons. The 25-year-old right-hander is currently on the disabled list with hand, foot, and mouth disease, but he is only expected to miss one start.

Source: Dennis Lin on Twitter                               Jul 24 - 10:45 PM

Weren't the Padres the ones who were doctoring medical reports in the past.  Maybe they can get Thor, doctor away all his endless injuries and flip him to another team, haha.

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY: Cheating Docs vs. Death Docs

26 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Are the Padres as stupid as the Mets by buying into a player they can't keep come FA time.  Or will the Mets be too stupid to see all the young arms the Pads have.  Inquiring minds want to know.  I predict nothing will happen.

Weren't the Padres the ones who were doctoring medical reports in the past.  Maybe they can get Thor, doctor away all his endless injuries and flip him to another team, haha.

Padres were caught. GM was suspended in 2016 I think.

32 minutes ago, BMcP said:

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY: Cheating Docs vs. Death Docs

WE'LL SELL YOU THE WHOLE SEAT... BUT YOU'RE ONLY GOING TO NEED THE EDGE!!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Padres were caught. GM was suspended in 2016 I think.

Again, suspended.  It was Preller’s second suspension - dude is mad shady.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They are also rumored to be looking at Archer.

In theory i like the idea of trading for a cost controlled high upside SP given how many prospects and young players they have. 

Not sure Archer is the guy though.  

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

they would be rule 5 guys

this was a smart trade tbh

Doesn't mean you have to lump them all in one trade for a rental reliever with health concerns. There's better ways to get value if you're dead set on not protecting them. And Carroll was going to be protected regardless. Tate was 50/50. 

3 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Doesn't mean you have to lump them all in one trade for a rental reliever with health concerns. There's better ways to get value if you're dead set on not protecting them. And Carroll was going to be protected regardless. Tate was 50/50. 

Carroll has no established secondary and struggles to throw strikes  - why protect him?

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

also means no chance of a degrom/noah or bumgarner

Idk about the Met's pitchers, but Bum was never an option.

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Are the Padres as stupid as the Mets by buying into a player they can't keep come FA time. 

what does this mean? i feel that i'm not grasping what you're alluding to.

22 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Nice get if the Rays can develop Beeks into the front line starter he looked like a couple years ago, still has nice stuff, and we only gave up eovaldi?? 

red sox may regret this one big time down the line

Agree with above.  Eovaldi is still Eovaldi.  BK crown him if they must . . .

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

Nice get if the Rays can develop Beeks into the front line starter he looked like a couple years ago, still has nice stuff, and we only gave up eovaldi?? 

red sox may regret this one big time down the line

Big win for you guys. Eovaldi has been pretty mediocre through this career. Beeks is a good talent and could develop into a top 25 SP in the future. 

11 hours ago, 96mnc said:

They are also rumored to be looking at Archer.

In theory i like the idea of trading for a cost controlled high upside SP given how many prospects and young players they have. 

Not sure Archer is the guy though.  

If Padres do acquire Archer I seen the Rays are after Francisco Mejia ... plus others in the deal. 

I'd like to see Mejia back in the AL with the DH.  Catchers who DH often are top offensive forces, obviously.  His bat should be maximized.

Rotoworld blurb on Evoldi trade:

Red Sox acquired RHP Nathan Eovaldi from the Rays for LHP Jalen Beeks.

Eovaldi was supposed to take the mound for Tampa Bay in a couple of hours, but he'll instead board a flight to Boston to meet up with the Red Sox ahead of Thursday night's series opener against the visiting Twins. The 28-year-old right-hander figures to make his Red Sox debut at some point this weekend. He was sporting a decent 4.26 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, and 53/8 K/BB ratio in 57 innings (10 starts) this season with the Rays. Eovaldi will be a free agent this winter.

Jul 25 - 10:50 AM

I don't mind the trade at all.  Jalen Beeks  seems to have regressed pretty badly from his hot start this spring and was going to be traded for someone for sure before his value totally tanked.  I thought he would go for a reliever so I guess they got more than they thought they would for him.  Eovaldi will probably be the long reliever and spot starter now filling in for Eddie Rodriguez short term.  Brian Johnson will now probably be assigned to clean up starter messes given how bad Pomeranz is doing this season.

Maybe Beeks can turn it around in TB.  They seem to have had a pretty good pitching factory going on for some time now.  He should get a chance with them sooner than later if they move Archer like they want to do.  At least if the kid blows up some there, there is far less pressure than when he did in Boston earlier.

Good trade for both sides.

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rotoworld blurb on Evoldi trade:

I don't mind the trade at all.  Jalen Beeks  seems to have regressed pretty badly from his hot start this spring and was going to be traded for someone for sure before his value totally tanked.  I thought he would go for a reliever so I guess they got more than they thought they would for him.  Eovaldi will probably be the long reliever and spot starter now filling in for Eddie Rodriguez short term.  Brian Johnson will now probably be assigned to clean up starter messes given how bad Pomeranz is doing this season.

Maybe Beeks can turn it around in TB.  They seem to have had a pretty good pitching factory going on for some time now.  He should get a chance with them sooner than later if they move Archer like they want to do.  At least if the kid blows up some there, there is far less pressure than when he did in Boston earlier.

Good trade for both sides.

Not trying to be a jerk but why does Beeks need to "turn it around" after regressing "really badly"? Is it because of 6 innings of work in the MLB where he wasnt given a fair shake or because his insanely amazing stats in AAA took a small step backwards (but still really damn good)?

This is a huge win for the Rays and Beeks. 

Just now, NoHablaIngles said:

Not trying to be a jerk but why does Beeks need to "turn it around" after regressing "really badly"? Is it because of 6 innings of work in the MLB where he wasnt given a fair shake or because his insanely amazing stats in AAA took a small step backwards (but still really damn good)?

This is a huge win for the Rays and Beeks. 

Beeks simply looked really bad on the mound in all facets when I watched him.  Add in his falling off in the minors as well and I don't see much here.  So no he doesn't look that good to me.  But TB has a talent for resurrecting arms so maybe they can help him.  I said that in my post.  I didn't say he was a goner.  He may have a chance with TB.

I mean it wasn't like Beeks was Anderson Espinoza out of the gate and look how badly Espinoza has done since.  Sometimes prospects fizzle.  Sometimes they may make it after an extra year or two or three.  And sometimes online prospect sites don't know what the hell they are talking about. 

No matter how it turns out for Beeks he just doesn't look like a pitcher that can pitch in a big spotlight so TB is a very good thing for his career.  That's why it is a win for him which I said in the original post.  And a win for Boston to move on from him and get that 6th starter which is needed as a 5th starter here and now.  You know.  Win-win.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Beeks simply looked really bad on the mound in all facets when I watched him.  Add in his falling off in the minors as well and I don't see much here.  So no he doesn't look that good to me.  But TB has a talent for resurrecting arms so maybe they can help him.  I said that in my post.  I didn't say he was a goner.  He may have a chance with TB.

I mean it wasn't like Beeks was Anderson Espinoza out of the gate and look how badly Espinoza has done since.  Sometimes prospects fizzle.  Sometimes they may make it after an extra year or two or three.  And sometimes online prospect sites don't know what the hell they are talking about. 

No matter how it turns out for Beeks he just doesn't look like a pitcher that can pitch in a big spotlight so TB is a very good thing for his career.  That's why it is a win for him which I said in the original post.  And a win for Boston to move on from him and get that 6th starter which is needed as a 5th starter here and now.  You know.  Win-win.

To be fair Espinoza has been hurt. 

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

To be fair Espinoza has been hurt. 

I was about to say the same: odd comment about Espinoza.

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I was about to say the same: odd comment about Espinoza.

Not really.  I think the Sox thought he would end up hurt due to his slight build.  There has been a lot of talk in these parts albeit after the fact about them dumping him before the first of what they saw as many injuries occurred.  And there is some truth to this talk I think. 

Remember when people were calling him the next Pedro?  That wasn't just because of his raw talent but also as a rationalization as to why he could sustain his pitching style because Pedro managed to with such a small frame.  But it's come out some since that the Boston front office saw signs that only Pedro is Pedro in the end and cut bait when they realized Espinoza didn't have the body type to sustain those fastballs long term and he was a major injury risk.  There were some major warning signs they saw that first year and they sold high when they could.

So that was why I made the comment.  It wasn't based on Espinoza's early talent.  It was because they didn't think his body would hold up long term.  There are a lot of ways a prospect can fizzle.