Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

18 minutes ago, BumpBaileysGhost said:

I’m having a hard time finding defensive metrics. Is this move good, bad or lateral for Fiers’s fantasy value? Obviously the park is an upgrade, but how do the A’s compare defensively (runs saved, errors, etc.) to Detroit?

CSB - Im in a 16-teamer and had to add Fiers due to McCullers/Wood losses and I want to see if I’ve struck bronze here. 

I think Oakland is somewhere in the middle of the pack defensively. They have a great 3B which helps immensely (Arenado recently said Chapman was better than him at third, for what that's worth). 

I think it's a solid move for Fiers. 

2 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I think Oakland is somewhere in the middle of the pack defensively. They have a great 3B which helps immensely (Arenado recently said Chapman was better than him at third, for what that's worth). 

I'm a Chapman fan. I love the scrappy, never quit, & give it all you got playing A's. Guess you can say I'm a Beane fan, but didn't realize Chapman's defense is that good. What a compliment from Arenado!

I agree, this is a good move for Fiers.

12 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

I'm a Chapman fan. I love the scrappy, never quit, & give it all you got playing A's. Guess you can say I'm a Beane fan, but didn't realize Chapman's defense is that good. What a compliment from Arenado!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/mlb/news/mlb-nolan-arenado-matt-chapman-colorado-rockies-oakland/mi40x9tte4x31rcx84zw8y3by

29 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Ive watched a ton of A's  baseball this year and Chapman is amazing at 3B. I can't believe some of the balls he gets to, and he might have the best infield arm in baseball.

9 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Ive watched a ton of A's  baseball this year and Chapman is amazing at 3B. I can't believe some of the balls he gets to, and he might have the best infield arm in baseball.

I don't get to see the A's play that often, when I do I truly enjoy watching those guys play. Going back many years ago can't explain what exactly it is, but I just like that team...Not going to say I'm a die-hard fan, not a fair thing to say, but since I've grown to like baseball more over the years, the A's is a team I've always like to see do well.

28 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

He's just being polite and humble, while quietly being the 3rd best player in MLB. 

3 minutes ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

Not what I was expecting at all. Could have interesting implications. 

Dodgers claim Harper, Nats pull him back and say FULA

2 hours ago, jmoney23 said:

Heyman is saying Murphy to the Cubs is happening.

Details:

Cubs acquired INF Daniel Murphy from the Nationals for INF Andruw Monasterio and a player to be named later or cash considerations.

And the teardown begins for the Nationals, three weeks after the July 31 trade deadline. Addison Russell has been dealing with a hand issue of late while Kris Bryant is still working his way back from a shoulder issue, so the Cubs should be able to find at-bats for Murphy down the stretch. The 33-year-old has been swinging the bat a lot better since the All-Star break, so there's very little downside to bringing him into the fold. It's surprising that another team in the National League didn't have the same idea here.                                         Aug 21 - 2:51 PM

Meanwhile the Nats can't pull the trigger on their very last chance to get something ... anything ... back for a Bryce Harper who will be gone forever in a little over a month.  Man the Nats waited way too long to make moves.  All they got to show for it at the end is someone named Andruw Monasterio.

Really good move by Theo though.

Might as well have traded away Harper as it seems he won't be resigning there after all the criticism he has received regarding leadership etc.  The players totally run the show there which has led to the multiple managerial firings.  Rizzo should take the majority of the blame for this.

1 hour ago, STLSU said:

Might as well have traded away Harper as it seems he won't be resigning there after all the criticism he has received regarding leadership etc.  The players totally run the show there which has led to the multiple managerial firings.  Rizzo should take the majority of the blame for this.

He NEVER was going to re-sign there.  Ever.  That was always a given.  Makes the Nats not moving him completely insane.

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He NEVER was going to re-sign there.  Ever.  That was always a given.  Makes the Nats not moving him completely insane.

They would have got pennies on the dollar.  I think the PR hit would be worse to trade him away and signal they were not going to try and re-sign him.   They'll make a big public display on trying to re-sign him and then he chooses to leave, that's not the Nat's fault sorta deal.  Harper getting the blame for leaving is better for Nat's business than middling prospects. 

With Soto, the Nats didn’t need Harper as the face of the franchise anymore. I figured they’d trot him out for All-Star festivities for a farewell tour and ship him off by trade deadline. This was a monumental mistake and the Nationals will regret not getting a few prospects back. I’m sure the Indians would have done Bieber and Mejia + some long shots. Oh well, I would’ve thought Harper signing with the Cubs was a sure thing but with Darvish sucking I don’t see it anymore. He would be wise to go to Atlanta or Cleveland now. 

42 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OK Bryce 

7 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

With Soto, the Nats didn’t need Harper as the face of the franchise anymore. I figured they’d trot him out for All-Star festivities for a farewell tour and ship him off by trade deadline. This was a monumental mistake and the Nationals will regret not getting a few prospects back. I’m sure the Indians would have done Bieber and Mejia + some long shots. Oh well, I would’ve thought Harper signing with the Cubs was a sure thing but with Darvish sucking I don’t see it anymore. He would be wise to go to Atlanta or Cleveland now. 

I was typing, "they aren't going to have enough money."

Then I realized Atlanta doesn't have to pay anyone but Freeman right now so they actually could pay Harper a lot.  I still think they'll get outbid but they can make a strong offer.

15 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

will cleveland pay him?

id imagine they will want to pay guys like joram, lindor and even trevor bauer

17 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Wrong. Harper was a rental. They refused to part with just Bieber for him. They weren’t throwing in more.

Are people giving zero value to the draft compensation pick the Nats will receive when Harper doesn’t sign. 

Pretty easy to figure out that picks worth versus what was offered by other teams. Add in the PR side and it makes sense to me. 

18 minutes ago, Smallball said:

Are people giving zero value to the draft compensation pick the Nats will receive when Harper doesn’t sign. 

Pretty easy to figure out that picks worth versus what was offered by other teams. Add in the PR side and it makes sense to me. 

Nats are above the luxury tax cap so I believe the compensation pick is worth a lot less.

26 minutes ago, Smallball said:

Beginning-of-the-fifth-round pick vs.  a couple of established prospects and $5M?

Eh, doesn’t make much sense to turn that down.

16 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Nats are above the luxury tax cap so I believe the compensation pick is worth a lot less.

Not any longer. I believe the trades of Kinzler, Murphy, & Adams have put them under the cap.

EDIT: Yeah, now just over 182M https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/