Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

8 minutes ago, STLSU said:

If Machado plays Short that leaves Kingery without a clear position.  Makes his contract foolish on the Phils part in hypothetical hindsight.

They could trade Franco then for a reliever or something.  Kingery would go back to 3B where he was playing a lot before Crawford got injured.  That would also free up trading Crawford.  But not both of them unless they can also sign Manny over the winter.  And Crawford is a glove guy aka a utility player moving forward maybe.  If Manny became a Phillie long term Kingery is the guy that is safe of those three players given his long term contract and latent talent.

But handshake deals are not final either.  So I'm getting way ahead of myself.

If I had to guess it’s Machado to the Phils but in all likelihood Baltimore is leaking this deal to see if NY ups the ante. I own both Machado and Franco so hoping Franco lands someplace where he can play everyday if Machado ends up in PHL

2 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

If I had to guess it’s Machado to the Phils but in all likelihood Baltimore is leaking this deal to see if NY ups the ante. I own both Machado and Franco so hoping Franco lands someplace where he can play everyday if Machado ends up in PHL

It is LA that is competing with the Phils as well as the Brewers.  NY is already out of it per all the rumors.

And whether the Philly rumor is true or not both sides are going to totally deny it until a deal is made final ... or it falls through.

I’ve never negotiated an MLB trade but I will say from negotiating business deals the idea that a club is out / in or a deal is in place or not is typically posturing. Clubs are looking for any leverage they can get and floating rumors or deals in progress is a way to do so. I wouldn’t be shocked if a team that has never been rumored to be “in” is the team that lands Machado.

Wheeler for Frazier and Bird?   Seems like a fair deal.  Thoughts?  Andujar and Frazier too much for Wheeler?   Full disclousure:  I'm a Mets fan.  

4 minutes ago, dgstrat said:

Wheeler for Frazier and Bird?   Seems like a fair deal.  Thoughts?  Andujar and Frazier too much for Wheeler?   Full disclousure:  I'm a Mets fan.  

I think most of us here want to discuss actual rumors, not some fan’s wildest dream. 

That said, can’t imagine Wheeler could draw just Frazier, let alone another cheap, controlled MLB player. 

Can't see the Red Sox intone hunt for either Machado or Moustakas now that ERod is out for who knows how long . Think about it . Devers has sucked much of the year and Peddy had been out just about all year. They are getting by with Nunez and Holt . If they do anything it will be use some bullets to get another starter. Who that is I know freaking idea . Sale is their most reliable pitcher. Porcello had had a couple of clunkers recently and Price can't beat the Yankees  

Just now, Dark Kn19ht said:

That's what I meant by "click bait"....

It’s being reported many places that Machado will be dealt before Friday. Jayson Stark also hinting hard that something is in place with Philly. We’ll see.

41 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They could trade Franco then for a reliever or something.  Kingery would go back to 3B where he was playing a lot before Crawford got injured.  That would also free up trading Crawford.  But not both of them unless they can also sign Manny over the winter.  And Crawford is a glove guy aka a utility player moving forward maybe.  If Manny became a Phillie long term Kingery is the guy that is safe of those three players given his long term contract and latent talent.

But handshake deals are not final either.  So I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Yeah it makes sense to play or trade Franco separately for a decent pitcher like Happ.  We saw the Phils almost screw the pooch by benching him for light hitting Crawford and then when injury struck the latter, the former has gone relatively gangbusters.  I mean Franco isn't great but he isn't Jose Martinez defensively.  Just more or less mediocre, with about a defensive -0.3 WAR so I rolled my eyes at his then perma-benching.

Eventually next year the smart play is Kingery at Short Machado at Third.  Both players are better off there than vice versa.  Players should never dictate what is best for the team unless they are also a coach . . .

54 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It is LA that is competing with the Phils as well as the Brewers.  NY is already out of it per all the rumors.

And whether the Philly rumor is true or not both sides are going to totally deny it until a deal is made final ... or it falls through.

i dont think NY was ever in on machado.

think it was just a ploy by cashman to increase value of his own guys to maybe go after a pitcher.  unfortunately i dont think there are many (worthy) pitchers available.

35 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i dont think NY was ever in on machado.

think it was just a ploy by cashman to increase value of his own guys to maybe go after a pitcher.  unfortunately i dont think there are many (worthy) pitchers available.

Kinda like in an auction draft when you bid up the price of a guy you don't want, because you don't want anyone else to get him for cheap!

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Cardinals_chat_with_Derrick_Goold_114583f1fe48?Page=0

• I found it odd that Joel Sherman from the NY Post was throwing out C. Martinez as possible trade bait. Any credence to that claim, or is he just fishing for a news story?
    by IanM 11:26 AM
  • f3ee1df5-5b01-45ba-8660-d0701529a492.jpg
    Credence. It's drawn from reports. That's been mentioned in this chat, was mentioned by me on STL radio this morning, and is something that Cardinals would explore. This isn't rumor or innuendo. This is a possibility. The Cardinals' best chance at a significant return in the coming weeks will be seeing what the market is for Martinez.

I think that Arenado is the player we need to put us on top. I would be willing to trade to get him. Would an offer of C Martinez, a young pitching prospect, an outfield prospect be enough? What do you think would be a fair offer to the Rockies?
    by Sunny Jim Bottomly 11:50 AM
    f3ee1df5-5b01-45ba-8660-d0701529a492.jpg
    Rockies have been hesitant to acquire pitching prospects from outside. Whether that's going to change at this time, I don't know. In the past, under this group, they have talked about developing inside pitching and acquiring outside hitters. They feel that sets up the pitcher for better success at the ballpark and so on. Now, the Rockies did have interest in the past for Rosenthal, and at one point Martinez was brought up -- but a non-starter for the Cardinals, as he was everywhere. Not sure how they see that now. One pitcher who does fit the profile of what the Rockies are trying to add is Dakota Hudson. There isn't a better groundball-prospect in baseball, and that has a high value in the launch-angle game, especially at altitude. You're talking about several premium pieces being needed to make the Rockies consider a deal they aren't motivated to make at all.
    by Derrick Goold 11:52 AM

This is a bit CSB but a good friend of mine has a long time family member who is a STL scout. I know they have been looking at Machado for some time - wouldn’t be surprised to see them make a play but guessing given their current record they may be hesitant to give up major prospects for a rental. 

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

can't wait for Mystery Team to show up in trade talks

Toledo Mudhens

11 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Oakland could use a SS.

LOL, Billy Boy plays Moneyball 2.0 where you actually pay money for talent. I'd actually go see that movie.

21 minutes ago, sanderz16 said:

Source: #Phillies are willing to include Adonis Medina, their No. 2 prospect, in offer for Manny Machado. The #Orioles have strong interest in Medina. This is a significant development. Our updated story at http://MLB.com : https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-trade-rumor-deal-is-close/c-286163662?tid=282421090  @MLBNetwork

Must suck to be a prospect on a soon to be great team about to get dealt to the Orioles.

5 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Must suck to be a prospect on a soon to be great team about to get dealt to the Orioles.

It would even suck to be a prospect from an average team and be sent to the Orioles.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

It would even suck to be a prospect from an average team and be sent to the Orioles.

Especially a pitching prospect. Baltimore is a pitching prospect graveyard.

Well on the bright side the guy will be fast tracked to the majors like almost immediately.  Then his clock starts and he can count down the years until he is traded elsewhere.

As a Nola owner, I would love to see Manny get traded to the Phillies. Even though they are winning their division, they have a below-average offense. Manny could be a real difference maker ROS.