SpecialFNK

2018 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Figured I'd send my 2 cents here from the other thread:

I have a strange feeling that Cash is about to pull out the proverbial stun gun and we will be seeing DeGrom in pinstripes.  See you all back here when it does happen.  Yanks need the arm way more than Machado and Cash knows this.  A splash needs to be made and this is exactly want Yankees fans want to see. We have enough pieces that Cash can whip together to get him.  Now.....sit back and get your popcorn ready.  If any get stuck on the way down......dont hesitate to grab a drink too.   Should be interesting.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

For those in AL only leagues, if you own machado prepare for collapse

Not sure why anyone would play in an -only league that wouldn't continue to count a player's stats after he gets traded out of the league. That's just masochism at this point.

I can’t take these Machado trade rumors serious anymore.  First it’s the Yankees are leading, then 3 minutes later the Phillies are “the most likely destination”, 7 minutes later it’s the Dodgers the favorite to land him.  Give me a break.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm taking the wait and see approach . Nothing else we can do. 

But I said this early on . His best friend plays for the Phillies . 

Wont be long now . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

As a Nola owner, I would love to see Manny get traded to the Phillies. Even though they are winning their division, they have a below-average offense. Manny could be a real difference maker ROS. 

Ditto as a Rhys owner.  Not sure where they'd bat them, but having Manny adjacent would give him a boost in production.

59 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I can’t take these Machado trade rumors serious anymore.  First it’s the Yankees are leading, then 3 minutes later the Phillies are “the most likely destination”, 7 minutes later it’s the Dodgers the favorite to land him.  Give me a break.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one getting annoyed at these obvious leaks from the Orioles camp trying to drive up the return for Manny. Obviously every team does this to some extent but I can’t recall a team doing it this much. It reeks of desperation. 

Seems like all the speculation is true. Something in place, they’ll announce tomorrow after game so Machado can play in game as Oriole.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one getting annoyed at these obvious leaks from the Orioles camp trying to drive up the return for Manny. Obviously every team does this to some extent but I can’t recall a team doing it this much. It reeks of desperation. 

We've got a few GM's in one of my keeper leagues that like to play this "sweepstakes" style trade deadline game.  Where they openly review offers on the league chat thread in an attempt to get participants to go "over the top" to win the deal.  I get wanting to maximize your return but this style is terribly obnoxious. 

Edited by ragrag

I trust USA Today but it does say "expected" and Dodgers don't make a lot of sense to me.  

The Dodgers do have the farm system.

3 hours ago, reichl555 said:

Image result for kit kat bar

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, B&F said:

Dodgers don't make a lot of sense to me.  

Huh?

From the perspective of need, trade assets available, and the financial ability to re-sign him in the off-season, they make more sense than any team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Dodgers seem to be including OF Diaz who homered twice Sunday.  They are absolutely loaded in the OF throughout the minors although the current MLB talent plus Verdugo is lefty heavy.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=la

I wonder if they bring him right to the show, dealing Adam Jones elsewhere before the deadline. 

After watching the Machado rental price skyrocket over the last week, this Phillies fan is happy that the club has (apparently) walked away.  Maybe Adonis Medina is a future star, maybe not, but what I do know is that the 2nd ranked prospect in the 5th ranked farm system is worth more than 2 months of Manny.  If I knew that Manny alone was enough to give them more than a puncher's chance in the playoffs, then I'd say pay whatever it takes, but I'd much rather cash that chip in to get a player who will contribute in 2019 or 2020 when the club is ready to truly contend.

There's nothing wrong in principle with taking a shot a year or two "early" on the rebuild schedule to see what happens, but once it became clear that Arrieta is just kind of a guy at this point in his career, that Hoskins is just a star right now and not a superstar, that the bullpen that we thought was going to be a strength is such a glaring weakness, etc. my interest in taking resources away from 2019 and beyond for one bite at the apple in 2018 is basically zero.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

After watching the Machado rental price skyrocket over the last week, this Phillies fan is happy that the club has (apparently) walked away.  Maybe Adonis Medina is a future star, maybe not, but what I do know is that the 2nd ranked prospect in the 5th ranked farm system is worth more than 2 months of Manny.  If I knew that Manny alone was enough to give them more than a puncher's chance in the playoffs, then I'd say pay whatever it takes, but I'd much rather cash that chip in to get a player who will contribute in 2019 or 2020 when the club is ready to truly contend.

There's nothing wrong in principle with taking a shot a year or two "early" on the rebuild schedule to see what happens, but once it became clear that Arrieta is just kind of a guy at this point in his career, that Hoskins is just a star right now and not a superstar, that the bullpen that we thought was going to be a strength is such a glaring weakness, my interest in taking resources away from 2019 and beyond for one bite at the apple in 2018 is basically zero.

Yeah I think the Phils have a great chance to resign him while the Dodgers are dealing with that multilayered CBT.  Logan Forsythe is not enough salary relief . . . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Yeah I think the Phils have a great chance to resign him while the Dodgers are dealing with that multilayered CBT.  Logan Forsythe is not enough salary relief . . . 

Phillies have the most money plus most under the luxury tax cap going into the off season so they are the favorites out of the gate.  Yankees can afford to sign one big contract probably but they need pitching not that there is a Machado equivalent in the pitching dept this winter.  Will the Yankees go all in on Machado or decide on Harper and the best pitcher that can get coupled with his contract?  Because Manny is going to command a bigger salary than Harper for sure.

So the Dodgers are in the lead now?  Last night someone thought the Brewers would swoop in at the last minute.  Phillies are still probably a year away from having the depth to get all the way to the World Series though they can make the playoffs now so they would be wise to back off and save their prospect pitchers for next year to either use down the road or to trade for a good vet pitcher at next year's deadline.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, panthers528 said:

Figured I'd send my 2 cents here from the other thread:

I have a strange feeling that Cash is about to pull out the proverbial stun gun and we will be seeing DeGrom in pinstripes.  See you all back here when it does happen.  Yanks need the arm way more than Machado and Cash knows this.  A splash needs to be made and this is exactly want Yankees fans want to see. We have enough pieces that Cash can whip together to get him.  Now.....sit back and get your popcorn ready.  If any get stuck on the way down......dont hesitate to grab a drink too.   Should be interesting.

DeGrom is the put you over the top play for any contender outside of Houston... and maybe even them.   

Cost controlled through 2020.

Stud.

Crappy SP free agency market.

I'm getting it done. 

• Like 1

Yusniel Diaz wasn't even on Fangraphs' updated list of Top 131 Prospects released last month. The fact that he's the rumored headliner in the Machado deal should give people some insight into how rentals are valued in today's game.

7 minutes ago, absknicks said:

The fact that he's the rumored headliner in the Machado deal

I read that he was included, not necessarily the headliner.  Who is reporting that he's the best prospect in the return?

9 minutes ago, absknicks said:

should give people some insight into how rentals are valued in today's game.

Or perhaps it says more about the extremely subjective and volatile nature of ranking prospects.  Medina made that Top 131 list, but he's in A-ball.  The O's reportedly want someone who's closer to the show, which means that an arbitrary Fangraphs ranking that may not take ETA into account as much as future potential doesn't say all that much about how highly rentals are valued these days.

3 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I read that he was included, not necessarily the headliner.  Who is reporting that he's the best prospect in the return?

Or perhaps it says more about the extremely subjective and volatile nature of ranking prospects.  Medina made that Top 131 list, but he's in A-ball.  The O's reportedly want someone who's closer to the show, which means that an arbitrary Fangraphs ranking that may not take ETA into account as much as future potential doesn't say all that much about how highly rentals are valued these days.

That's why De Los Santos was who the O's were said to be originally targeting because he was already up twice for spot starts.  Don't know why they turned to Medina instead though maybe the Phillies were the ones that turned them looking that way too.  You know, weak front office minds are easily influenced by the Force as in "This is not the prospect you are looking for."

53 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

DeGrom is the put you over the top play for any contender outside of Houston... and maybe even them.   

Cost controlled through 2020.

Stud.

Crappy SP free agency market.

I'm getting it done. 

Could be a Sox/Yanks bidding war we havent seen since the A-Rod days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

There's nothing wrong in principle with taking a shot a year or two "early" on the rebuild schedule to see what happens, but once it became clear that Arrieta is just kind of a guy at this point in his career, that Hoskins is just a star right now and not a superstar, that the bullpen that we thought was going to be a strength is such a glaring weakness, etc. my interest in taking resources away from 2019 and beyond for one bite at the apple in 2018 is basically zero.

If I’m an MLB gm these days I’d aggressively move my pitching prospects. Their injury rate is through the roof.  Imagine what Cardinals could of likely got for Alex Reyes who has another lost year.  Brett Honeywell TJ, AJ Puk TJ, Ohtani (somewhat of a prospect at least a rookie is done pitching for who knows how long), the list goes on and on of pitching prospects hurt.  If I spent more time on it I could give you laundry list of names.  I play in a dynasty league with 15 minors spots and every year I lose my top 2-3 guys to TJ, Espinoza another one that pops up.  Bottom line with the compensation picks a team will get for Machado rental I’m not letting any low level pitching prospect stand in way of a deal.  Odds are extremely high at some point that Medina (who owns a 4.92

era and 1.33 whip as a 21 year old in A+) will blow his elbow out before ever contributing in bigs and then you’ll spend 1.5-2 years wasted waiting for him to come back.  With a likelihood of that comp pick being able to get drafted and be near same level at time of the players return.  Bottom line, if Medina is only thing standing in way of Phil’s getting Machado they should do it.  Still got Sixto who’s higher rated prospect (even though he’s hurt like all pitching prospects seemingly).  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2