dchamps

Zach Eflin 2018 Outlook

Kind of obscure, sure but I didn't see a topic on him and wanted to start one. 

Two starts into the year for him so far and his overall numbers are impressive:

DATE OPP IP H ER BB K DEC
5/7 SF 6.2 4 0 3 9 W
5/1 @Mia 6.0 3 1 0 4  

What really intrigues me is his new jump in velocity:

Per Nick Pollack of PitcherList - "Zach Eflin – 6.0 IP, 1 ER, 3 Hits, 0 BBs, 4 Ks. Eflin had a 5.54 ERA in 2018 and a 6.16 mark in 2017. There is nothing here to suggest that he is a new man, just like…wait. No there is something. Eflin averaged 93.7mph last year with his heater. This start? 95mph. Huh. I’m not going to do anything with that information, but…Huh."

And then from tonight:

With a corresponding tweet after it from Gelb stating Eflin threw a heater tonight at 96.7! Ched.

When pitchers make mechanical changes and start throwing harder, it's always something to look into. Therefore, thread.

Not sure of the underlying change yet, but I am intrigued nonetheless.

• Like 2

I was impressed but he got some amazing defensive help in this one by Kingery making an over the shoulder catch in shallow left/center saving 2 runs in the 1st, and also when Cesar Hernandez hit a 2R HR as Gorkys Hernandez dropped the HR ball over the fence in the 4th inning (jumped too early).

Time to pick up?  Other than consecutive starts versus Toronto and the Dodgers he's been excellent the whole season.  Quality strikeout totals too.  Does Effin's offspeed stuff rate well?

Gabe Kapler strikes again.  Eflin was yanked after 5 effective innings with only 73 pitches.  And he was yanked for a pinch hitter in Franco with an open base, so of course Franco got walked.  Crawford ended up drawing a bases-loaded walk, which makes Kap look like a genius if you don't know anything about baseball, but wow, this guy is managing like he's in the playoffs when he needs to be letting guys like Eflin show what they've got.

• Like 2

I don't even own this guy, but is there a reason he's not getting more shine?

3.44 era, 1.17 whip, 9.24 k/9

Edited by street sharks

Painted a really pretty picture tonight. Great command and stellar pitch sequencing. Yanks had no idea what was coming next.

His next start is vs the putrid Orioles . Lol I’ll be streaming him for this one . 

Surprisingly he was also sitting on my WW so added him this morning. What I find impressive is the teams he has beaten during that stretch. At the Cubs, home vs MIL, at MIL, at WAS, then home vs NYY. Pretty tough stretch of teams to pitch against. He’s got a 2.85 FIP and a 3.72 xFIP so it’s not like he’s outpitching his peripherals and there is regression to be expected. 

• Like 1

Picked him up as a flier.  Musgrove wasn't doing anything worthwhile so let's see what this kid has.

Any innings concerns with him? He is still young (24) and because he was injured for a good part of the last 2 years it looks like he hasnt pitched many innings at all...

“I cut my fingernail too short.” 

Wonderful. He dealt with blisters last year too so that makes this a bit more concerning.

14 hours ago, Marvin Suggs said:

Anyone know when Eflin’s next start is?

CBS is showing him as returning from injury as early as July 8 and still has him scheduled to start vs NYM on the 9th.  Not sure if that is accurate.

So is the blister issue a legit concern?

if not, can we expect him to continue to pitch at a high level?

Was planning in 2 turns after Velasquez DL'ed.  Oh well next weeks matchups are more delicious anyway.