Backdoor Slider

Austin Meadows 2018 Outlook

Fwiw, I wrote on my blog about how Polanco hasn't had a hit on an inside pitch all year, and pitchers might start pounding him inside, leading to an increased chance of injury. Which would mean more playing time for Meadows, at least you'd think..

But at this point the closest route to playing time is crushing AAA and forcing the Pirates to make a move 

On 5/21/2018 at 10:44 AM, mpbaseball22 said:

Fwiw, I wrote on my blog about how Polanco hasn't had a hit on an inside pitch all year, and pitchers might start pounding him inside, leading to an increased chance of injury. Which would mean more playing time for Meadows, at least you'd think..

But at this point the closest route to playing time is crushing AAA and forcing the Pirates to make a move 

Or crushing AAAA....

• Like 1

Meadows homered for the second straight game Tuesday, going 1-for-4 against the Reds, DK Pittsburgh Sports reports. The left-handed hitting rookie went deep against lefty Amir Garrett, who he'd seen at Triple-A. Meadows, who is 6-for-15 in the early going, says he's able to read the spin of the ball much better under the bright lights of major-league stadiums. Team trainer Todd Tomczyk is expected to provide an update for Starling Marte (oblique) Wednesday. Meadows is expected to play nearly every day until Marte returns from the disabled list.

I thought the bolded part was rather interesting. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, machine3 said:

Meadows homered for the second straight game Tuesday, going 1-for-4 against the Reds, DK Pittsburgh Sports reports. The left-handed hitting rookie went deep against lefty Amir Garrett, who he'd seen at Triple-A. Meadows, who is 6-for-15 in the early going, says he's able to read the spin of the ball much better under the bright lights of major-league stadiums. Team trainer Todd Tomczyk is expected to provide an update for Starling Marte (oblique) Wednesday. Meadows is expected to play nearly every day until Marte returns from the disabled list.

I thought the bolded part was rather interesting. 

It is very interesting. Two others I ever heard make that claim was Ted Williams and Barry Bonds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love this dude! Has incredible eye. 

Edited by phizzics
Post updates in the game day thread please.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Well this was unexpected.  Too bad they aren't in the AL

I'm hoping someone's hand is forced.

Just now, mrfrood said:

Just platoon garbagelanco and Dickerson. Not that difficult. 

Yes platoon two lefties.

It's going to be tough to send him down now... I still think he gets sent back... but my goodness, he's crushing it. Have to think Polanco has a short leash ROS 

Pirates are contending. No chance he gets sent down if he continues to hit. 

I want to know where the hell this power came from!

3 minutes ago, kwelch said:

I want to know where the hell this power came from!

MLB ball.  That's part of it ... Meadows was a swing path guy though, meaning he needs a mechanical shift to drive the ball more for more power, like Winker does and like Yelich does.  Similar to Winker's power outburst last year, this feels very unsustainable.

• Like 2

He was riding a hot streak in the minors, but this is one hell of a start.

Take it straight from the guy himself: “The lights are brighter, you can see the ball a lot better, so that’s kind of been the main thing for me is being able to see the ball, being able to see the spin on the ball and guys are going to come at you."

Just checked his split stats. Nearly identical in day vs night games, sooo... there goes that. Unless the sun is brighter in the MLB vs minors. :P

Anyway, we still have a former top prospect who battled injuries the last couple seasons and is finally healthy. He won't keep us this pace, but there is no reason to believe he can't be valuable in fantasy given his pedigree. I've watched enough of his ABs for him to pass the eye test for me  

Of course he won't keep this up, as even Trout couldn't keep this pace up if it was him.  Still, he's been better than anyone could have imagined so far and it looks legit (as far as him continuing to be a valuable contributor if given the chance).

While I would be surprised if they made the right move here since it's the Pirates and they have enough invested in Polanco with an ever increasing several year contract, there really is only one logical move to make and that would be to sit/trade Polanco and keep Meadows up.  Again, I'd be shocked if they did, but Meadows is so much better than Polanco it's ridiculous (at least this lazy version of Polanco), and that's taking into account the inevitable regression for Meadows.

• Like 1

So.

It seems Meadows took my comment personally and is intent on making me look foolish. 

He might be a better real life hitter than Polanco right now. 

Edited by cs3

This guy man...

2/4 2 runs and 1 SB today again.

He's forcing my hand.

Do you think he's more valuable ROS over someone like Tyler Oneil or  Nimmo? Sorry if this is bench-coachy, but trying to gauge value of these guys. 

10 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

This guy man...

2/4 2 runs and 1 SB today again.

He's forcing my hand.

Do you think he's more valuable ROS over someone like Tyler Oneil or  Nimmo? Sorry if this is bench-coachy, but trying to gauge value of these guys. 

Sigh, hard to say until playing time is sorted out. He's playing like he has nothing to lose right now.

kind of wish I didn't pick this guy up in all leagues so i would avoid the eventual let down when they send him back down. my season in a nutshell.

can't say he isn't trying his damdest to make a case to stay up but i suspect they won't oblige. obviously a hold...

Pirates have somehow built something interesting. Keep in mind, Jordan Luplow could be in the majors and top pitching prospect Mitch Keller is probably a year away. After that nothing overly exciting in Pirates org, but the good "young talent" they have (Meadows, Moran, Musgrove, Luplow, Kuhl, Glasnow,  etc) are all pretty much now in the majors. Can they bring it all together? They have a nice mix of youth, young vets and vets...a potentially outstanding pitching staff, two catchers who can not only field, but hit. 

Of course, in this city where the Steelers and Penguins are elite, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has any confidence in the Pirates. So cynicism still exists, but they are sliding toward officially being "interesting" and Austin Meadows is one of those reasons. 

Edited by kwolf68

9 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Pirates have somehow built something interesting. Keep in mind, Jordan Luplow could be in the majors and top pitching prospect Mitch Keller is probably a year away. After that nothing overly exciting in Pirates org, but the good "young talent" they have (Meadows, Moran, Musgrove, Luplow, Kuhl, Glasnow,  etc) are all pretty much now in the majors. Can they bring it all together? They have a nice mix of youth, young vets and vets...a potentially outstanding pitching staff, two catchers who can not only field, but hit. 

Of course, in this city where the Steelers and Penguins are elite, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has any confidence in the Pirates. So cynicism still exists, but they are sliding toward officially being "interesting" and Austin Meadows is one of those reasons. 

Kingham also looks solid

Just now, Cubsfan22 said:

Kingham also looks solid

Yea he really does and he is in AAA now. I don't project him as a top of the rotation piece, but he would look tremendous as a back end guy or potentially a middle guy. The fact is he should be in the majors, but the Pirates are so deep in the rotation they put him in AAA. Cole is killing it for Houston, but the Pirates got some really nice pieces in that deal

-Musgrove-great first shot

-Moran-cutting his teeth at 3rd in the Burgh and doing solid

-Feliz-decent pen arm

-Martin-I project him as a fourth OF, but he's really doing awesome in AA right now. Wonder if he projects to being more?

Cole is fantastic , love that guy, but the Pirates didn't do so bad on that deal. 

I think eventually Austin will bat leadoff or #2 for the Pirates, but they are rightfully managing him by batting him a bit lower in the order at this time. 

49 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

I think eventually Austin will bat leadoff or #2 for the Pirates, but they are rightfully managing him by batting him a bit lower in the order at this time. 

This is a big if, but if they do the right thing and send Polanco down to AAA, then they very well could just slide Meadows in to his #2 spot in the order.

It's still the Pirates, so I'd still be mildly surprised if they do the right thing, but it's becoming at least slightly more likely the more I think about it.  Even if they don't want to give up on Polanco, having him continue to play in the Majors is becoming an obvious waste.  The only way he can get better is to actually send him down to AAA to work on his swing and such.  Maybe the team will actually see that, since even if keeping Meadows up and sending Polanco down is against what they would probably usually do, it's the only way they may ever get anything out of Polanco.  I never realized it until now, but Polanco has been bad almost his whole career, with an .OPS below .700 in multiple seasons.  What he has been doing obviously isn't working, so sending him down to try to work on things would be a smart move, and it allows them to still try to get something out of Polanco.

Back to fantasy, if they send Meadows back to AAA, that would obviously be a huge blow to us fantasy owners.  In a season where offense has been pretty poor overall, I don't think any of us can afford to lose a guy that's actually hitting way better than expected.  Obviously he's going to slow down eventually, but that doesn't mean he won't still be pretty valuable.  Put him in the #2 spot in the order, and things get even more interesting (counting stats wise), even if the Pirates aren't a high powered offense (regardless of where they rank in MLB since almost all of the hitting is way down league wide).