Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

where you homies coming up w these mad SB projects? Did I just pick up the right Juan, or the wrong Juan?

7 minutes ago, mcbane said:

And against a nasty Lefty in Alex Wood...Nats dgaf 

Juat checked his splits. Hitting well over .400 the past 2 seasons vs lefties. Granted he hasn’t played a ton of games.

1 minute ago, Helms said:

Juat checked his splits. Hitting well over .400 the past 2 seasons vs lefties. Granted he hasn’t played a ton of games.

Absolutely true. Big part of his potential is lefties haven’t given him any problems. 

Still, (bleeping) craasazy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

where you homies coming up w these mad SB projects? Did I just pick up the right Juan, or the wrong Juan?

Juan Soto has been clocked as having 70-grade speed this season running from home to first. It would not be out of the question for him to become a steals threat.

1 minute ago, mevins31 said:

He will be up like a week

Kendricks ruptured his achilles tonight. 

5 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

If you're referring to any stats I posted, they were all a joke.  If not, then carry on.

4 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

He will be up like a week

Probably more than that given the Nationals other options at the moment. Obviously, it will depend on performance. If he performs adequately, then he'll stick at the very least until Adam Eaton returns. But if he looks totally lost in the majors, he'll be sent back down quickly.

The odds are high that he will be sent back down to the minors at some point.

But if he's successful right away? Well, then he could stick.

Might as well find out with him on your roster.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright

Just now, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Probably more than that given the Nationals other options at the moment. Obviously, it will depend on performance. If he performs adequately, then he'll stick at the very least until Adam Eaton returns. But if he looks totally lost in the majors, he'll be sent back down quickly.

The odds are high that he will be sent back down to the minors at some point.

But if by some insane chance he's just successful right away it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could stick for good.

Might as well find out with him on your roster.

Actually, he'll probably be on the DL after tomorrow after he hits a HR in his first AB with such a high exit velocity it comes back and hits him right in the head and gives him a concussion.

• Like 1

All for Juan and Juan for all!!!

Go grab him sportsfans!  Now the Jays will see that it s'ok to trade Donaldson this week and call up Vlad Jr!!!!

The Revolution has begun

I suppose people shouldn't have incredibly high expectations, even the great Mike Trout wasn't very good in his first taste of the majors (.220/.281/.390/.671) also at age 19 after skipping AAA.

Trout career minor league (1126 AB) - .341/.426/.516/.942

Soto career minor league (449 AB) .361/.434/.608/1.042

Juan Soto is special.

35 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

It took me a good minute of sitting here still in shock to even type this out.  It's been an absolute disaster of a season to try to enjoy as a whole no matter how good your team is doing, but then something like this happens.  Even if he comes up tomorrow and goes 0-4 with 4 K's, 4 SBs, and 3 Runs (yes, he laughs in the face of the opposing team trying to get him out), it will be something exciting and a treat to watch.  Plus, he goes up against San Diego pitching after Sunday, so he could go through that series 2-10 with 8 K's, 2 BBs, 2 HR's, 8 RBI's, 8 Runs, and 10 SBs, and a Save.  Too bad we will never get credit for his historic Save on the day they rest Doolittle and they "double switch" him and Ryan Madson in the 9th....

Seriously though, I was being honest about everything except for the stats (that Save would be something though).  This is shocking, and something exciting in a season that has been largely infuriating where several computer mice were probably lost in "battle".  And to think I picked him up a week or so ago just to stash him as a potential keeper even if he never played a game this season.

Friends don't let friends post drunk...

1 minute ago, jstep13 said:

Friends don't let friends post drunk...

I'm actually perfectly sober.  Again, the stats were just meant to be a joke.  I guess some people just didn't get that, but oh well.  Let's just enjoy the fact that Soto is called up.

6 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

I own him so hardly trolling. I’ll say it again. He will be up a week or ten days. He’s 19. He’s not bryce Harper. He’s not going to be Fantasy relevant for a while. It’s not trolling it’s my opinion of what’s going to happen. Go pick up Jesus Aguilar and really help yourself move up 

I agree that the most likely scenario is he comes up, goes through some struggles and maybe does not become relevant this year - it’s the same thing I thought when Hoskins was called up last year and that cost me a championship.

So all that to say I’m willing to take the chance. If he struggles and is down in two weeks he’s an easy cut but from what I can tell he could be a league changing talent if he performs and therefore worth the lottery ticket.

This might be a silly exercise but...

The STEAMER Projection system estimates Juan Soto will hit .264/.322/.433. Which would be fantastic for his age and level of experience.

However, I saw an article with an analysis on projections for rookies recently, and the conclusion was that rookies ranked in the top 50 prospects on average end up beating their OPS by about 50 points.

Applying the bump, Soto would be projected for something like .270/.340/.460. (Yes, an .800 OPS)

Take these projections with a massive gain of salt, obviously.

But those kind of projections just highlight how unbelievably dominant Soto has been in the minors during his time there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, treat88 said:

Results may prove you correct, but what evidence do we have to date that he is not an equivalent talent as Harper was at the same stage? 

Harper was being forecast as the “next big thing” in MLB when he was in high school. Soto...yeah, not so much.  

6 minutes ago, CAT said:

Harper was being forecast as the “next big thing” in MLB when he was in high school. Soto...yeah, not so much.  

Sure, Harper had the pedigree but Sotos results speak for themselves. 

His career arc is pretty similar to Bryces.

Obviously I have no clue how it shakes out, but with the bat in his hands he's been every bit Harper's equal thru similar stages at similar ages. 

Edited by treat88
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

This might be a silly exercise but...

The STEAMER Projection system estimates Juan Soto will hit .264/.322/.433. Which would be fantastic for his age and level of experience.

However, I saw an article with an analysis on projections for rookies recently, and the conclusion was that rookies ranked in the top 50 prospects on average end up beating their OPS by about 50 points.

Applying the bump, Soto would be projected for something like .270/.340/.460. (Yes, an .800 OPS)

Take these projections with a massive gain of salt, obviously.

But those kind of projections just highlight how unbelievably dominant Soto has been in the minors during his time there.

75cad67228d8a3e9cfeabd20de71b75c.gif

How about this?  Instead of engaging in pointless speculation and conjecture and how long he'll be up and how he will fare, why not just go grab Soto if you haven't already and see how the lad does?  Join the party.  You are in the Juan Solo thread.  I remember Vlad talking about the old saying in the DR....no one walks off the island.  Meaning, that they hit their way off the island and into the major leagues.  Juan Solo has the force within him and wants to stay up.  And, yes, I pre-ordered a ticket for the movie next wknd

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CAT said:

Comparing the hype for a kid born in and playing baseball in Las Vegas and a 16 year old kid from Santo Domingo just seems like a fruitless exercise.

Soto was hailed as one of the best international prospects in the year he signed. His star has only risen steadily and quickly since then. So what does Harper's hype matter when the "forecasts" love Soto now too?

Edited by Philoumenos
  • Like 4

There's obviously a lot to analyze about why they called him up, how long he'll stay, what he'll produce, yada yada.

But not be a total romantic idealist here, and not to discount that analysis at all, but this just seems like something to enjoy.

Isn't this just awesome? We get to watch a 19 year old stud bat very soon. Maybe he'll be sent down fairly quick. Or maybe he'll just amble along at near waiver wire level. Or maybe we all just actually picked up the next closest player to challenge Mike Trout. 

Who knows? But this is so exciting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1