Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

18 minutes ago, CAT said:

Harper was being forecast as the “next big thing” in MLB when he was in high school. Soto...yeah, not so much.  

Soto is from a different country bro.  How could he be the next big thing without the American media hype machine behind him?  Did the Dominican Republic Sports Illustrated not feature him enough?  Or does he not have cool enough hair, bro?  And with that logic Todd Van Poppel should’ve been the best ever because, hype.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Easy now, HRC.  Why would this guy be available in a deep keeper league?

I should clarify - in any league in which 100+ players are kept on a yearly basis, I would consider using 100% of my budget on Soto if I didn't already own him.

But if we're talking about a normal, 12-team, 4 OF redraft league... I'd spend maybe 10% of my budget to roll the dice with him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

What percent of FAAB are people using to claim him? 

In both my FAAB where he's not yet owned im dumping all of it (roughly 50% left), and probably wont get him. In keepers this is the biggest bid of the year.  

This callup was so far off everyones radar, and so much out of this world sooner than anyone anticipated, that hes likely one of the very few impact prospects not owned.

In redrafts, probably 20ish%, maybe up to 40% and hope for a Bellingesque debut

The one thing this callup reinforces is that FAAB w/ continuous waivers is so soooo much better than standard waivers w/ anytime free agency.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, InMyBagYo said:

I picked him up. I missed out on Acuna, is Soto a comparable player?

By the time Acuna got called up this year, he had already fully proven himself at AA and AAA.

Soto has only had a cup of coffee above A ball. 

He was on his way to be being widely considered the second-best fantasy prospect in the minors (behind Vlad Jr.) but this call up is EARLY.

The potential is certainly there, but he's not nearly as much of a sure thing to be valuable right away as Acuna was.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 2

I really hope the Nats know what they are doing.  I realize he has an advanced approach but he’s only been in AA a week. Doesn’t feel right but I hope I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

By the time Acuna got called up this year, he had already fully proven himself at AA and AAA.

He was on his way to be being widely considered the second-best fantasy prospect in the minors (behind Vlad Jr.) but this call up is EARLY.

So he's more advanced than Acuna was at the stage, safe to say? I'm not going to lie, I had no idea who he was until 20 minutes ago, so this was definitely quick. But from how fast this thread has grown, he must be legit. 

1 minute ago, FUM said:

I really hope the Nats know what they are doing.  I realize he has an advanced approach but he’s only been in AA a week. Doesn’t feel right but I hope I’m wrong.

Agreed. He seems likes the kind of guy that may be ready, but it’s rare that a teenager is ACTUALLY ready for the majors. 4 in the last two decades? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, InMyBagYo said:

So he's more advanced than Acuna was at the stage, safe to say? I'm not going to lie, I had no idea who he was until 20 minutes ago, so this was definitely quick. But from how fast this thread has grown, he must be legit. 

It's absolutely a fair statement to say that Soto right now is further along than Acuna was last year at this time.

But we can't necessarily conclude from that Soto will continue to be ahead of Acuna's pace.

Again - Soto's total lack of experience in the advanced levels of the minors (8 games above A+... that's it!!) makes him much more of a wild card than Acuna was coming into this year, who already showed dominance in AA and AAA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

The potential is certainly there, but he's not nearly as much of a sure thing to be valuable right away as Acuna was.

Let me thrown in that Acuna never came close to the video game stats Soto has put up in A/A+ ball and was on his way to doing in AA, at a younger age to boot.  That is relevant.

He has a 1.218 OPS in the minors this year...it’s obscene.  I don’t even need to prove my point, just look him up yourself.  Acuna has also never shown the batting eye of Soto at any level...not even close.  That’s impressive.  He’s not just dominating inferior competition with tools.  His approach is his most impressive trait and usually the best indicator of future success.

Edited by ShaneMT31
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ShaneMT31 said:

Let me thrown in that Acuna never came close to the video game stats Soto has put up in A/A+ ball and was on his way to doing in AA, at a younger age to boot.  That is relevant.

Soto's video game stats at his age are just about unprecedented. That's the reason he should be a universal pick up in all fantasy leagues DESPITE being ridiculously inexperienced. 

Heck, I was leading the charge in the Juan Soto MILB thread all year! He has incredible bat speed and a highly advanced recognition of the strikezone for his age and level of experience. Again - as of today Soto was my #2 fantasy baseball prospect.

I'm just much more excited as a dynasty league owner than I would be as a redraft owner.

By all means - add him in redraft leagues. But given the inexperience, I think expectations have to be kept in check in that format.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Acuna had 70 or less games at any level in the minors, so to say he had proven anything is ambitious. I only say 70 because of his handful of lackluster games in AAA this year due to the BS service time he spent down there til he “proved” himself. 

Compare Soto’s numbers to Acuna’s and see who really proved themselves. 

10 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Acuna had 70 or less games at any level in the minors, so to say he had proven anything is ambitious. I only say 70 because of his handful of lackluster games in AAA this year due to the BS service time he spent down there til he “proved” himself. 

Compare Soto’s numbers to Acuna’s and see who really proved themselves. 

In this case, "proved" is relative.

Acuna had 111 combined games in AA & AAA last year.

Soto had 8 games in AA this year.

You really can't compare the level of competition in A/A+ to AA/AAA.

But yes... Soto was SO dominant A/A+ and continued his dominance in a brief stint in AA to the point where it would be reasonable to conclude that he's already skilled enough to dominate every level and he just needs more time to prove it.

I'm not betting against him.

3 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Soto's video game stats at his age are just about unprecedented. That's the reason he should be a universal pick up in all fantasy leagues DESPITE being ridiculously inexperienced. 

Heck, I was leading the charge in the Juan Soto MILB thread all year! He has incredible bat speed and a highly advanced recognition of the strikezone for his age and level of experience.

Again - as of today Soto was my #2 fantasy baseball prospect.

I'm just much more excited as a dynasty league owner than I would be as a redraft owner.

By all means - add him in redraft leagues. But given the inexperience, I think expectations have to be kept in check in that format.

I absolutely agree with this ?

• Like 1

Quickly skinning this thread and I think the Nats hand is being somewhat forced because of injuries. Eaton and Hendricks on the MLB level and Robles elbow injury. Talent is there with Soto and talent should win out in the end but Robles would have been the preferred call-up, if hitting, this year

He hits he stays obviously even with or if Eaton comes back this year. The one that could be in danger might be Taylor who the Nats have never seemed that high on. 

All this is just an opinion.

Keep in mind the Angels were very aggressive with Mike Trout and when he was 19 he waffled away to a .220 tune and .670 OPS in his 135 at bat stint in big leagues.  The likelihood is that this guy isn’t ready to be a big fantasy asset in 2018.  But it is tantilizing to see.

26 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Keep in mind the Angels were very aggressive with Mike Trout and when he was 19 he waffled away to a .220 tune and .670 OPS in his 135 at bat stint in big leagues.  The likelihood is that this guy isn’t ready to be a big fantasy asset in 2018.  But it is tantilizing to see.

Trout, for how incredible he's been as a pro, was not doing what Soto is currently doing at the same age in lower levels. Now obviously I don't expect Soto to be Trout, but if we're doing an age for age comparison, Soto was more advanced at equivalent points in their development. 

Edited by Stallion

There is zero reason not to pick him up. No matter how shallow your league is, he's better than your worst player. Drop a bench guy, there's nothing to lose here.

I expect nothing from him this season and wouldn't bother in a redraft league, but I own him in a dynasty and will start him today just to be able to say I started him from literally day one.   Then he'll probably be on my bench save for days he's my only RF playing sorta deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stallion said:

Trout, for how incredible he's been as a pro, was not doing what Soto is currently doing at the same age in lower levels. Now obviously I don't expect Soto to be Trout, but if we're doing an age for age comparison, Soto was more advanced at equivalent points in their development. 

What? Trout STARTED age 19 in AA. If Trout had started his age 19 in A ball and moved up A+ like soto his number would probably look better. Just to keep that in mind.

The only age to level comparison is low A at age 18. Trout had a .445 wOBA while Soto had a .425 wOBA.  You can't really compare A and high A numbers at age 19 because trout was facing stiffer competition than him until these last 8 games. Which is way to small of a sample to make anything of

Just now, Slatykamora said:

What? Trout STARTED age 19 in AA. If Trout had started his age 19 in A ball and moved up A+ like soto his number would probably look better. Just to keep that in mind.

The only age to level comparison is low A at age 18. Trout had a .445 wOBA while Soto had a .425 wOBA.  You can't really compare A and high A numbers at age 19 because trout was facing stiffer competition than him until these last 8 games. Which is way to small of a sample to make anything of

Of course direct comparisons are always tough when a prospect has been rushed through the minors as fast as Soto was. Just so you know though, Soto has hit more hrs so far this season than Trout hit across 640 PAs in two years across A+ and AA. Soto also has a better BB:k ratio. Again, not saying Soto will end up even close to Trout, just that I think there's an argument that he was better at the same age. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

There is zero reason not to pick him up. No matter how shallow your league is, he's better than your worst player. Drop a bench guy, there's nothing to lose here.

Posts like this are ridiculous. He might be the worst MLB player this year. He might hit below the mendoza line. We don't know how he's going to be. His potential his sky-high but you can't just go around making generalizations like "he's better than your worst player". I'm likely not adding if I'm in 8 or 10 team leagues.