Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

There's no reason to platoon Soto since he hits LHP just fine.  What will they actually do?  Who knows, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow since they face two more lefties on Monday and Tuesday according to Rotowire.

My guess is Backdoor Slider is right and today is just a day to soak it all in.  While some teams are stupid, I really don't see the Nationals calling up Soto to platoon him, even if they face a lot more righties most of the time.  Might as well see what he really can do, and that also means what he can do against lefties.

6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

So Fat Adams will platoon with Mark Reynolds?

Kid has to play. Doesn’t have any platoon splits in the minors, other guys do. If he isn’t playing a vast majority of the time, all of the criticism of this being too shortsighted/desperate/etc is founded. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Michael Taylor is playing CF. Soto isn’t a CF. Soto is up to play LF.

Soto can't play CF? Michael Taylor seems like he should be platooned

8 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

In shallow keeper leagues where he wasn't owned, people going 100% FAAB? 40% 10%

You say keeper? I don’t care how shallow.

200w.gif

Remember even if he doesn’t end up a keeper for you, he will be an extremely valuable, tradeable asset.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mcbane said:

Kid has to play. Doesn’t have any platoon splits in the minors, other guys do. If he isn’t playing a vast majority of the time, all of the criticism of this being too shortsighted/desperate/etc is founded. 

Agreed - this isn't a move you make if he's not going to play. The Nationals are probably feeling the pressure of Harper's pending free agency/a more competitive NL East race than they expected, so while I think this is definitely a move motivated by the burden of winning now, Soto wouldn't have been called up unless the determination was made he was a better starting OF option than what else was available. He certainly has a ton of potential, my only worry (as it would be with any hitter that young) is he has not seen the type of breaking stuff MLB caliber pitchers bring on a daily basis. It's going to be very interesting to see how this goes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pbjfb said:

Soto can't play CF? Michael Taylor seems like he should be platooned

I mean, I don’t know what he can do. He’s played there twice this year. But the hole appears to be LF.

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I mean, I don’t know what he can do. He’s played there twice this year. But the hole appears to be LF.

Yeah he seems in good enough shape to play CF and they can platoon him there with Taylor and platoon him at LF with Adams, and platoon Adams with Reynolds at 1b, that way they can maximize Soto and Adams. I'm in a league that counts LF/CF/RF and it would be nice if gets eligible at all 3

I wonder how many Nationals fans went and bought tickets today expecting to be in attendance for Soto's first game, and Soto isn't starting. damn now this ticket wont be memorabilia.

5 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Yeah he seems in good enough shape to play CF and they can platoon him there with Taylor and platoon him at LF with Adams, and platoon Adams with Reynolds at 1b, that way they can maximize Soto and Adams. I'm in a league that counts LF/CF/RF and it would be nice if gets eligible at all 3

Matt Adams is a terrible LFer and his bat I is cooling off like pretty much anyone reasonable should have expected. 

If they called up Soto, he should have LF on lock. Otherwise this is as much of a mistake as some people are saying it is. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, King Felix said:

Agreed - this isn't a move you make if he's not going to play. The Nationals are probably feeling the pressure of Harper's pending free agency/a more competitive NL East race than they expected, so while I think this is definitely a move motivated by the burden of winning now, Soto wouldn't have been called up unless the determination was made he was a better starting OF option than what else was available. He certainly has a ton of potential, my only worry (as it would be with any hitter that young) is he has not seen the type of breaking stuff MLB caliber pitchers bring on a daily basis. It's going to be very interesting to see how this goes. 

Agree 100%. I think he has to struggle, probably for some prolonged stretches, unless some crazy Bellinger’s Luck happens. But part of picking a “lottery ticket” for this year is managing the probablility you have to go back to your reliables, and gauges if he’s bringing your team down/can you hold through those rough spots. 

In Keepers, it’s semi-irrelevant based on the number of guys you can keep. Most likely even if he isn’t good this year, he’s on a fast track now. The time to debate merits of grabbing him are pretty much over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Lol. This is going to be fun. 

• Like 1

Do you know who has the most knowledge and insight about Juan Soto?

The Washington Nationals.

They feel like he can come up and contribute. As a fan, and owner, I’m all for it. From an outside perspective, it’s a risk to bring a 19 year old kid up...there’s potential downside in messing with his development. 

3 minutes ago, Coach George said:

They feel like he can come up and contribute. As a fan, and owner, I’m all for it. From an outside perspective, it’s a risk to bring a 19 year old kid up...there’s potential downside in messing with his development. 

Is it a risk though, or is that something GMs burn in our brains because they’re not calling up prospects for financial reasons?

I don’t really get the “messing with his development” aspect. If he struggles, he goes back down and knows exactly what he needs to work on. 

If his skillset AND mindset are elite, he’s going to succeed long term regardless. If they’re not, he won’t, regardless. I don’t buy the “harm his development” narrative that is pushed by teams. Maybe a SP working on a 3rd pitch? Sure. But not an elite bat.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

You do that.  You limit him against LHP when he's clearly just fine against them.  You continue to roll out guys who can't hit and/or field.

With that said, who knows how much you can actually read into that.  Maybe he plays tomorrow.  Maybe he sets the world on fire so much that he forces them to play him no matter who is on the mound.  Obviously it's disappointing that he's not playing today after last night's surprise, and it would be very disappointing if he didn't play tomorrow too, but we'll see how it goes.  I guess I should just be glad I picked him up a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coach George said:

They feel like he can come up and contribute.

Pretty sure it was the case for many players.
Like Scott Kingery.

21 minutes ago, Reggie Bar said:

well that's great the Nats are  calling up a 19 year old striaght from AA. isnt that great Toronto?

He only played a handful of games at AA he's basically coming from A ball, i think he struggles but if he's as talented as they say he is then he should be fine

Lol jesus...... It was a late callup last night.  He had to travel and join the team.  He's a young kid they want him to get acclimated and settled in.  Probably gets a PH in the game.  This is standard stuff.  Can people stop with the "If he's not in the lineup tomorrow"  You don't call up a kid like this from AA just to be your 4th OF.  The Nationals know what they're doing, they understand this more than fantasy team owners.

• Like 2

Nationals are here to win games first. So they put players in the best sutuation to succed and produce.

Low A and High A Lefties are not really in the same zip code as MLB lefties. Id image the talent gap is actually probably further than RHP in low A, High A. Because teams usually give southpaws more chances to succeed than RHP of equal stuff/talent level.

It makes sense to shield him against the good ones at the start. He will get his chances vs the southpaws. Especially he shows he is handling his own against platoon side he can naturally succeed in the MLB.

23 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You do that.  You limit him against LHP when he's clearly just fine against them.  You continue to roll out guys who can't hit and/or field.

With that said, who knows how much you can actually read into that.  Maybe he plays tomorrow.  Maybe he sets the world on fire so much that he forces them to play him no matter who is on the mound.  Obviously it's disappointing that he's not playing today after last night's surprise, and it would be very disappointing if he didn't play tomorrow too, but we'll see how it goes.  I guess I should just be glad I picked him up a couple of weeks ago.

I think the managerial reading between the lines is getting guys like Taylor at bats.