Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

1 minute ago, mcbane said:

I think the managerial reading between the lines is getting guys like Taylor at bats. 

But Soto is going to play LF and Taylor plays CF.  Unless they decide they want to give Adams a start in LF on a random night, then maybe Soto plays CF a bit.  Still, Soto is the LF, so Taylor shouldn't have much to do with Soto's playing time.

What is his upside this year and next year? Is there an outside chance he produces like Bellinger did in his first year? Or does the amount of experience he has suggest otherwise?

Flowers got that from an article in the Post back in February: 

“People think I’m crazy when I say this, but he reminds me a lot of Paul O’Neill,” DiPuglia said. “When I say Paul O’Neill, people, the hair on their arms doesn’t stand up, but Paul O’Neill had a hell of a career. . . . Something about him reminds me of Paul O’Neill. Maybe he’ll be better than him. But if he turns out to be Paul O’Neill, I’ll be happy.”

8 minutes ago, mrfrood said:

Went from 12 to 6 when finding out he isn't starting today. Let the dude hit against lefties!

I did too obviously, as I've already stated my disappointment.

Still, one can only read so much into what the manager said about him sitting against lefties.  What somebody from the team says and what they end up doing sometimes end up being two very different things.  It really depends on how good he does initially.  If they had the balls to call him up already, I find it hard to believe they won't have the balls to play him everyday no matter what even if they say otherwise initially.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

Flowers got that from an article in the Post back in February: 

“People think I’m crazy when I say this, but he reminds me a lot of Paul O’Neill,” DiPuglia said. “When I say Paul O’Neill, people, the hair on their arms doesn’t stand up, but Paul O’Neill had a hell of a career. . . . Something about him reminds me of Paul O’Neill. Maybe he’ll be better than him. But if he turns out to be Paul O’Neill, I’ll be happy.”

O'Neill had a very good career.  I think people think of him and remember the giant dbag that played for the Yankees (which he was).  Numbers wise, though, very good career.

32 minutes ago, mcbane said:

I think the managerial reading between the lines is getting guys like Taylor at bats. 

Taylor(RHH) and Stevenson(LHH) are the only CFes on the Roster. Taylor was always going to get the ABs vs southpaws regardless what they did with Soto.

Mark Reynolds is the current beneficiary of Soto not playing vs some lefties right now. (pushing Adams to LF). So its getting both Adams/Reynolds bats in the lineup. Adams being an awful defender in the OF. I'm sure they hope Soto does hit the ground running prove he deserves all the PAs in LF.

6 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Taylor(RHH) and Stevenson(LHH) are the only CFes on the Roster. Taylor was always going to get the ABs vs southpaws regardless what they did with Soto.

Mark Reynolds is the current beneficiary of Soto not playing vs some lefties right now. (pushing Adams to LF). So its getting both Adams/Reynolds bats in the lineup. Adams being an awful defender in the OF. I'm sure they hope Soto does hit the ground running prove he deserves all the PAs in LF.

Yeah, you’re right. Taylor doesn’t factor, but instead what you laid out. 

I think it’s just an out for Martinez to be creative with the lineup instead of locking in a 19yr old. 

I did a double take when I saw this thread.

I can't see him being fantasy relevant this season.  Ken Griffey Jr. was so maybe I am wrong.

[ Reminder: Cool Stories here, completed trades here.  This thread is for discussion of Soto's fantasy outlook, not your trades involving him, or how you acquired him. ]

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Is it a risk though, or is that something GMs burn in our brains because they’re not calling up prospects for financial reasons?

I don’t really get the “messing with his development” aspect. If he struggles, he goes back down and knows exactly what he needs to work on. 

If his skillset AND mindset are elite, he’s going to succeed long term regardless. If they’re not, he won’t, regardless. I don’t buy the “harm his development” narrative that is pushed by teams. Maybe a SP working on a 3rd pitch? Sure. But not an elite bat.

I’ve thought elite hitters were mishandled in the past though, so that’s not impossible

I feel bad dredging up old history, especially regarding someone dead, but I thought at the time (and still think) that Taveras was massively mishandled. And his mishandling I think is an example of how you can mishandle an elite bat: you don’t play him through his slumps and let him sit on the bench. You’re right, if a guy struggles and goes back down, probably no “messed up” development. But there have been hitters in the past who I thought have had development stalled by sitting on an MLB bench for weeks at a time. 

So yeah, I don’t think they’ll do that but it’s not impossible that Soto might be mishandled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

I’ve thought elite hitters were mishandled in the past though, so that’s not impossible

I feel bad dredging up old history, especially regarding someone dead, but I thought at the time (and still think) that Taveras was massively mishandled. And his mishandling I think is an example of how you can mishandle an elite bat: you don’t play him through his slumps and let him sit on the bench. You’re right, if a guy struggles and goes back down, probably no “messed up” development. But there have been hitters in the past who I thought have had development stalled by sitting on an MLB bench for weeks at a time. 

So yeah, I don’t think they’ll do that but it’s not impossible that Soto might be mishandled.

Agree. But stalling development by sitting them different than messing with development by “rushing too quickly,” which is often heard. If he sits often I agree, that’s bad.

• Like 1

Rushing prospects is such a shady area. Some prospects get rushed and succeed (Machado is a good example: no one expected him up at age 19 and he became an immediate all star). Some are rushed and struggle. Some linger and blossom while other linger and people say they were too conservative. I think it’s impossivle for us to really say. Some prospects maybe will bust regardless and some will succeed regardless (I’m speaking of hitters specifically: I think the handling of pitchers actually is a huge determining factor). 

Anyway, let me throw out my guess for this year and next

2018: 250 ABs, .245/.300/.400 with 9 homers and three steals 

2019: full time, .270/.330/.470 with 25 homers and 5 steals 

11 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Agree. But stalling development by sitting them different than messing with development by “rushing too quickly,” which is often heard. If he sits often I agree, that’s bad.

I guess hypothetically you could actually "rush them too quickly" by insisting on playing them when it's clear they need to go back down and develop, refine their swing, etc against lower-tier pitching. So kind of the opposite of sitting and wasting away on the bench, maybe someone ends up letting them wither on the field.

But whatever, this is all an academic, hypothetical discussion until we see how much he's used, and we'll need to probably wait until next week before we have any ideas on how it shakes out.

• Like 1

Paul O'Neil was a good player, but not a super star. not that it's fair to expect Soto to be a super star, but I would like to think his potential is super star.

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

Paul O'Neil was a good player, but not a super star. not that it's fair to expect Soto to be a super star, but I would like to think his potential is super star.

Soto definitely has superstar potential, and I don't see the comparison between the two really at all, but I guess it could be worse if Soto just has a pretty good career (and Paul O'Neill obviously did).

8 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

There is zero reason not to pick him up. No matter how shallow your league is, he's better than your worst player. Drop a bench guy, there's nothing to lose here.

I have no idea why anyone would disagree with this statement

9 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Are we finding fault because somebody compared Soto to O’Neil? 

Paul was awesome for this Yankee fan

Edited by shakestreet

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Are we finding fault because somebody compared Soto to O’Neil? 

Paul was awesome for this Yankee fan

for those expecting greatness I would think so. O'Neil was good and helpful in the team winning, but I don't think of O'Neil as an MVP caliber player.

I just traded him for Paul O'Neill after he struck out in his debut...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

for those expecting greatness I would think so. O'Neil was good and helpful in the team winning, but I don't think of O'Neil as an MVP caliber player.

did those expecting greatness probably already have elected him into the Hall

5 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I wonder how many Nationals fans went and bought tickets today expecting to be in attendance for Soto's first game, and Soto isn't starting. damn now this ticket wont be memorabilia.

i wonder how many nationals fans know who juan soto is.

of course im only kidding.

or am i?

Is he actually going to sit against lefties? They face 3 of them next week. I can’t imagine they called him up to play part time.