Carlos Correa

Juan Soto 2018 Outlook

People take player comparisons waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too literally.

Just because one person says that some player reminds them of some other player does not mean these two players are inextricably linked for all-time and that one player will not be significantly better or worse than the other.

Pro-tip: Player comparisons can be fun! They're also pretty much useless.

• Like 3

The problem with Paul O’Neill was that he didn’t come thru for George since his 2nd HR (inside the park) was ruled a triple and an error. Without Kramer’s quick thinking, Mr. Steinbrenner wouldn’t have gotten his birthday card. This is why O’Neill sucks and shouldn’t be used for comps with surefire rookie superstuds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Just because one person says that some player reminds them of some other player does not mean these two players are inextricably linked for all-time and that one player will not be significantly better or worse than the other.

Exactly this. The vast majority of player comps are just a lazy shortcut for analysis.

Noticed several lefties this week against the Nats,  However they aren't particularly good lefties.  Expect Soto to start against them?  They're Chen and a couple scrub Padre pitchers by the way.

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

i wonder how many nationals fans know who juan soto is.

of course im only kidding.

or am i?

If you ask the fans going into Nationals Park before yesterdays game who he is, I'd be surprised if 30% of the people knew who he is.  That's not a shot at Nats fans....it'd be the same at any park given a similar situation.  Heck....I bet not 50% of people who posted on Rotoworld yesterday morning knew who he is.

I’ll take that bet

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

i wonder how many nationals fans know who juan soto is.

of course im only kidding.

or am i?

1 hour ago, CAT said:

If you ask the fans going into Nationals Park before yesterdays game who he is, I'd be surprised if 30% of the people knew who he is.  That's not a shot at Nats fans....it'd be the same at any park given a similar situation.  Heck....I bet not 50% of people who posted on Rotoworld yesterday morning knew who he is.

They gave him a standing ovation today!

2 hours ago, IG-88 said:

The problem with Paul O’Neill was that he didn’t come thru for George since his 2nd HR (inside the park) was ruled a triple and an error. Without Kramer’s quick thinking, Mr. Steinbrenner wouldn’t have gotten his birthday card. This is why O’Neill sucks and shouldn’t be used for comps with surefire rookie superstuds.

Soto definitely wouldn't be afraid to promise 2 HRs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Looking at their histories I'd much rather a Tony Olivia than Paul O'Neil 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Thanks for the tip!

obv.jpg

1 hour ago, Philoumenos said:

Then I guess they know who he is.

As for him sitting against the remains two lefties they face in a row this week, who knows.  If you take what the manager said, then you have a yes but maybe not situation.  You can't limit his ABs vs. lefties and still have him play a lot since you could run into situations like they are to start the week off, so I'm guessing he will play against them unless it's a tough one.  If I'm wrong, then their manager is a moron.

For anyone that comes along again and criticizes people for not being 100% sure if he will play the next two days, blame Martinez, not all of us.  If he hadn't come out and said that, we all would have just assumed it was what one person on here said (he wasn't in the lineup today just so he could soak it all in from the bench for a day).  Still, there's no real reason to discuss it anymore until after the lineup is out tomorrow evening.

Edited by KilloWertz

1 hour ago, Philoumenos said:

OBVIOUSLY they know about him TODAY.  His callup was on CNN earlier, lol.  EVERYBODY knows about him now.  OBVIOUSLY.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CAT said:

OBVIOUSLY they know about him TODAY.  His callup was on CNN earlier, lol.  EVERYBODY knows about him now.  OBVIOUSLY.

LMAO, I don't think most people are watching CNN for their baseball news before they head to a game on Sunday afternoon.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think that many people went to bed at 11 PM last night with no idea who Soto was and then learned about him by 2PM the next day. It's not like he was some no name, no hype, unheralded prospect that only the Secret Rotoworld Cabal knew about.

Edited by Philoumenos
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Then I guess they know who he is.

As for him sitting against the remains two lefties they face in a row this week, who knows.  If you take what the manager said, then you have a yes but maybe not situation.  You can't limit his ABs vs. lefties and still have him play a lot since you could run into situations like they are to start the week off, so I'm guessing he will play against them unless it's a tough one.  If I'm wrong, then their manager is a moron.

For anyone that comes along again and criticizes people for not being 100% sure if he will play the next two days, blame Martinez, not all of us.  If he hadn't come out and said that, we all would have just assumed it was what one person on here said (he wasn't in the lineup today just so he could soak it all in from the bench for a day).  Still, there's no real reason to discuss it anymore until after the lineup is out tomorrow evening.

Makes no sense blaming a RW poster because if Soto doesn’t start... why would you think somebody would?

7 minutes ago, Philoumenos said:

LMAO, I don't think most people are watching CNN for their baseball news before they head to a game on Sunday afternoon.

Lolz. Point flew RIGHT OVER your head.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CAT said:

Lolz. Point flew RIGHT OVER your head.

It's pretty hard to tell when people are serious or not in prospect threads, so I give up lmao.

16 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Makes no sense blaming a RW poster because if Soto doesn’t start... why would you think somebody would?

Not what I meant at all.  We had been posting earlier today about not being 100% sure he'll play because of what Martinez said, and MrBrown blew his top criticizing people for not being certain he'll be in the lineup tomorrow.  That's basically what I was referring to.

He may very well be right, but it was being discussed because the Twitter post quoting Martinez put legitimate doubt in people's minds.  It would be crazy, but I can understand people wondering at the very least.

Looking at the last few teenagers who got the call (Trout, BHarper, JUpton, Profar for a minute), my expectations aren’t too high this season. But I just can’t resist. Throwing him in this week!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Noticed several lefties this week against the Nats,  However they aren't particularly good lefties.  Expect Soto to start against them?  They're Chen and a couple scrub Padre pitchers by the way.

It will be a good test to see if he gets in the lineup. They won't face a rightie until Wednesday. 

7 hours ago, CAT said:

I agree with you on the first point but I disagree with you on the 2nd part. The hype surrounding Soto has reached even the shallowest of fantasy leagues radar. It's hard to believe that someone who plays fantasy baseball and frequent these Rotoworld forums woke up yesterday to the news of Soto getting called up without any knowledge as to who he is. 

6 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Not what I meant at all.  We had been posting earlier today about not being 100% sure he'll play because of what Martinez said, and MrBrown blew his top criticizing people for not being certain he'll be in the lineup tomorrow.  That's basically what I was referring to.

He may very well be right, but it was being discussed because the Twitter post quoting Martinez put legitimate doubt in people's minds.  It would be crazy, but I can understand people wondering at the very least.

I was annoyed by the people who were freaking out to him sitting while not understanding why that decision was made.   I said he'd get a PH opportunity and he did.  He is 110% going to start tomorrow.  I'm completely certain of that.   MLB managers always tell the press a lot of BS for different reasons, usually to temper expectations.  

It possibly would've made the decision difficult if Adams had a big game Sunday, but he went 0 for 4.  Another thing is if he had real good numbers against the SP but he's never faced Erlin.  The Nats knew this already..  Adams has also struggled for the past 2 weeks.  Really the Nats knew what they were doing regardless.  Soto is now the starting LF.  He may sit vs premier LHP but we'll have to see.  The other 2 options Adams and Stevenson are both LHB also, so really wouldn't make sense to do that.

27 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I was annoyed by the people who were freaking out to him sitting while not understanding why that decision was made.   I said he'd get a PH opportunity and he did.  He is 110% going to start tomorrow.  I'm completely certain of that.   MLB managers always tell the press a lot of BS for different reasons, usually to temper expectations.  

It possibly would've made the decision difficult if Adams had a big game Sunday, but he went 0 for 4.  Another thing is if he had real good numbers against the SP but he's never faced Erlin.  The Nats knew this already..  Adams has also struggled for the past 2 weeks.  Really the Nats knew what they were doing regardless.  Soto is now the starting LF.  He may sit vs premier LHP but we'll have to see.  The other 2 options Adams and Stevenson are both LHB also, so really wouldn't make sense to do that.

Alright, my bad I guess.  Hopefully you're right either way, and you are right that it would make little sense not to play him regularly (even against most LHP).  I could understand maybe if Kershaw was healthy and they were going against him, but otherwise, it really would make no sense.

8 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think that many people went to bed at 11 PM last night with no idea who Soto was and then learned about him by 2PM the next day. It's not like he was some no name, no hype, unheralded prospect that only the Secret Rotoworld Cabal knew about.

9 hours ago, CAT said:

oh great if people saw it on CNN they wouldn't know whether it was an apple or a banana. #fakenews :huh:

this from razzball this morning..

https://razzball.com/juan-soto-fantasy/

Enter stage left, Juan Soto.  True story, as I was listening to Prospector Ralph and Lance Broetc. discuss the top 25 prospects for fantasy baseball (clickbait!), every time Ralph would say Juan Soto I’d think he was asking Lance if he wanted soda.  I kept wanting to say, just give him a Dr. Pepper and stop asking if he’s thirsty!  I don’t drink Soto, because it makes me burp, but I’ll tell you what?  I’ve found a special appreciation for La Croix.  Give me flavored seltzer or give me death, as Alan Hale Jr. once said.  Any hoo!  Love, love, lurve what the Nats did.  If you have a guy that’s going to be a superstar?  You call him up!  H to the hockey sticks with an E in between!  If the Blue Jays don’t call up Vlad soon, I will call them the BJs for the rest of eternity.  Ralph has gone over Juan Soto so many times, that it’s silly to reiterate.  Literally, he just wrote a Juan Soto fantasy.  If you’re really lazy and you have wheels on your barcalounger so you can get around, the most succinct is Soto could be a 35/12/.300 hitter during his peak and is 19 years old with extra fizz.  You can expect this year something similar to Bryce Harper’s rookie year — 20/15/.270. 

another write up from a different guy at razzball..

https://razzball.com/minor-league-update-juans-soto-good-he-leaves-carter-to-kieboom/

I’m on a mission to finish these minor league previews if it kills me. The off-season ran short, I got caught up with family and work, and here I am in mid-May scrambling to get caught up. Poor planning, my apologies to all of you. That said, y’all didn’t think I’d let you head into the weekend without a minor league update to step to did you? Oh hell naw! In no way, shape, or form would I ever leave you, my readers, my people, my children. Especially on a glorious Thursday! This week no one man ruled the roost more than the Washington NationalsJuan Soto. (Okay, Vlad, but how much can I write?) The 19 year old rightfielder with the sweet lefthanded swing, Soto saw promotion to AA Harrisburg last week. His Eastern League debut was the center of the prospect world, if only for that night, as it just so happened to come against the visiting Vladimir Guerrero Jr.. Soto did not disappoint, going 2-for-4, with a homer, a double, and 4 RBI. That was his AA debut, and we now have a week worth of games to dig into. While the .286/.400/.476 is pretty impressive, his walk rate of 16%, coupled with a downright OCD K rate of 16% is equally as impressive. To summarize, Soto is 19 in AA, hits for contact, hits for power, and has both elite walk and k rates for a player so young. Lance and I discussed Soto on Saturday’s new Prospect Podcast, and I ranked him at #2, when I teased an updated Top 25 on Twitter this past weekend. At this point it’s tough for me not to view him as the second best bat in the minors. Here’s why, Soto has never lacked production, he’s really only lacked health, with a couple of unfortunate injuries cutting his 2017 short. Otherwise, we might have seen him ranked inside the Top 10 entering the season. So far Soto has jumped three levels, walked more than he’s struck out, and has homered 13 times through 37 games in low-A, high-A, and AA. That’s Smut!

Edited by SpecialFNK