Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTP333

Max Muncy 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Out again. He's done. 

 

Very bizarre how they treated him.  He was hitting 3rd and 4th in the lineup consistently when they traded for Dozier, which basically cost him half his starts no matter what.   

 

If you don’t trust the guy, why are you putting him in that spot in the lineup?  And Dozier hasn’t been very good this season anyway.

 

Very weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Waker said:

 

Very bizarre how they treated him.  He was hitting 3rd and 4th in the lineup consistently when they traded for Dozier, which basically cost him half his starts no matter what.   

 

If you don’t trust the guy, why are you putting him in that spot in the lineup?  And Dozier hasn’t been very good this season anyway.

 

Very weird. 

Well, he earned that spot, then he lost it. I don’t think that’s strange.

 

Remember they first acquired Machado, then JTurner got healthy, then they acquired Dozier (who FTR is hitting .333 with a couple HRs & a 1.243 OPS since joining the Dodgers). All within like 1 1/2 weeks. And Muncy absolutely crashed right around the same time. 

It’s disappointing, because a lot of guys get to play through slumps, but they just have too many other parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Well, he earned that spot, then he lost it. I don’t think that’s strange.

 

Remember they first acquired Machado, then JTurner got healthy, then they acquired Dozier (who FTR is hitting .333 with a couple HRs & a 1.243 OPS since joining the Dodgers). All within like 1 1/2 weeks. And Muncy absolutely crashed right around the same time. 

It’s disappointing, because a lot of guys get to play through slumps, but they just have too many other parts. 

Kind of wack but it is what it is. The other players are more proven. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Waker said:

 

If you don’t trust the guy, why are you putting him in that spot in the lineup?  And Dozier hasn’t been very good this season anyway.

 

Very weird.

It's not that weird.

The Dodgers got better players who are hitting better currently. With a roster that deep, unproven players who are cold get their playing time cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, borindia said:

#25

Solo shot of course!

 

This is great to see though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much more homers does he have to hit for him to become a "proven" player? 40? 50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, elrey said:

How much more homers does he have to hit for him to become a "proven" player? 40? 50?

I’d say no more streaks of 18 games, hitting .183 with 27 Ks and 5 BB would be a good start when you’re battling other guys for playing time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this net him the start tomorrow?  Gray has been been pitching well since he came back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the stats he's put up with eligibility all over the field are hard to drop on anything but shallow leagues, or if you are really battling for a playoff spot (or whatever) and don't have time to be patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing like a little Coors for what ails ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dodgers need him to be good and in the middle of their order. No one else on the team has his power, except Machado and last year’s Bellinger.  Hopefully they give him a full chance again after last 2 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 11:41 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

I’d say no more streaks of 18 games, hitting .183 with 27 Ks and 5 BB would be a good start when you’re battling other guys for playing time.

Baseball is a game of streaks and slumps. Even with all his struggles he has an ISO of .328 and wRC+ of 160. He has 26 HRs in 94 games. I feel sorry for anybody that dropped him. Same guys who dropped Matt Carpenter in May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, elrey said:

Baseball is a game of streaks and slumps. Even with all his struggles he has an ISO of .328 and wRC+ of 160. He has 26 HRs in 94 games. I feel sorry for anybody that dropped him. Same guys who dropped Matt Carpenter in May.

I don’t think many people dropped him. But if he’s going to only play 4 times a week.... I wouldn’t blame people that do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

I don’t think many people dropped him. But if he’s going to only play 4 times a week.... I wouldn’t blame people that do...

 

If he gets close to his to first half then I don’t see how they sit him for Bellinger 

or Dozier or whatever other OFer causes Bellinger to play 1st.  

 

Theres a reason he was batting 3rd and 4th for a while. 

 

It was just a horrible storm storm for Muncy the last couple of weeks.  Goes into a terrible slump when the Dodgers get Machado, Dozier, and Turner back.  

 

But Machado is the only better hitter on the team if first half Muncy comes back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Waker said:

 

If he gets close to his to first half then I don’t see how they sit him for Bellinger 

or Dozier or whatever other OFer causes Bellinger to play 1st.  

 

Theres a reason he was batting 3rd and 4th for a while. 

 

It was just a horrible storm storm for Muncy the last couple of weeks.  Goes into a terrible slump when the Dodgers get Machado, Dozier, and Turner back.  

 

But Machado is the only better hitter on the team if first half Muncy comes back.

I hope so man... time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Waker said:

 

If he gets close to his to first half then I don’t see how they sit him for Bellinger 

or Dozier or whatever other OFer causes Bellinger to play 1st.  

 

Theres a reason he was batting 3rd and 4th for a while. 

 

It was just a horrible storm storm for Muncy the last couple of weeks.  Goes into a terrible slump when the Dodgers get Machado, Dozier, and Turner back.  

 

But Machado is the only better hitter on the team if first half Muncy comes back.

It doesn't help that Dave Roberts seems to have more than just a baseball thing for Kike Hernandez.  Granted he did have a stretch where he was hitting really well, but honestly he's nothing more than a bench player to give somebody a day off, especially now with their added depth.

 

Still, trading for Dozier is still going to make it really hard for Muncy to get everyday playing time since Taylor and Pederson are still going to play everyday (the latter against RHP).  Kemp, Bellinger, and Puig are locked in at all 3 OF positions if Bellinger doesn't go back to the IF.  You have Turner, Machado, Dozier, and Taylor to man 3 IF positions, so either one of them sits and they do a rotation or 1B as to be occupied by somebody other than Muncy and he's the odd man out.

 

He may very well be coming out of his slump, and if so he obviously deserves to play everyday, but it's going to be rough even if he's the obvious choice over other regulars who just aren't that good.  Taylor really needs to be put on the bench since it's obvious his 2017 season was a fluke, but I find it hard to believe Dave Roberts does that unless Muncy goes out and keeps hitting HRs every game again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dodgers situation is turning into the same issue with the Cubs.  Too many good players and not enough playing time to to go around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Taylor really needs to be put on the bench since it's obvious his 2017 season was a fluke

Curious why you think Taylor's entire 2017 season was a fluke, but Muncy's first half of the 2017 season wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Curious why you think Taylor's entire 2017 season was a fluke, but Muncy's first half of the 2017 season wasn't.

Power and BB% is more of a legit skillset than BABIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.