Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTP333

Max Muncy 2018 Outlook

Dozier, Manny & Turner should be everyday players in the infield. 

At 1B there is Bellinger & Muncy  

the OF is completely full with Puig, Kemp, Taylor, Kiki & Pederson 

in the deadline thread I was baffled when the Dodgers traded for Dozier , still am 

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Dozier, Manny & Turner should be everyday players in the infield. 

At 1B there is Bellinger & Muncy  

the OF is completely full with Puig, Kemp, Taylor, Kiki & Pederson 

in the deadline thread I was baffled when the Dodgers traded for Dozier , still am 

Dozier trade = dodgers over thinking it.

This trade didn't make sense Real or Fantasy.  

How is Muncy's defense...is this a defensive issue? Just wondering if that's part of the explanation. I know we as fantasy owners often just look at the offensive production side of things, but maybe there's something else going on aside from what happens at the plate. 

I don't know. 

Dodgers deserve to miss the playoffs for benching literally their best offensive player throughout the season. (Machado doesn't count since he came in midseason)

Kemp’s age is showing, he needs to be played less if they hope to have anything for the playoffs. Pederson/Kiki platoon has gone ice cold, neither should start. Puig is still volatile and hasn’t hit at all, raw talent that may never be tapped. Bellinger seems to be back and mashing. If anything Muncy should man 1st and Bellinger the OF ROS. Not sure what the Dodgers are doing, but you don’t bench Muncy or Bellinger with the trash they’re throwing out there. 

2 hours ago, Elviplatinum said:

Dozier trade = dodgers over thinking it.

This trade didn't make sense Real or Fantasy.  

This is what contending teams do in the superteam era.  You load up way more players than you can possibly find reps for in case of injuries, or just to have a really good bench bat.  The Dodgers brass doesn't care about our fantasy teams -- they want to win, and don't want an unfortunate injury or two to threaten that.  They did the same thing with pitching last year and it was enough to get them close.  They don't want to just get close this time.

17 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

This is what contending teams do in the superteam era.  You load up way more players than you can possibly find reps for in case of injuries, or just to have a really good bench bat.  The Dodgers brass doesn't care about our fantasy teams -- they want to win, and don't want an unfortunate injury or two to threaten that.  They did the same thing with pitching last year and it was enough to get them close.  They don't want to just get close this time.

Except that this isn’t helping their team win because they are sitting their 2nd best hitter every other game because they feel obligated to play Dozier every day in order to justify the trade.

All they did with this trade was downgrade their every day lineup.  Stupid and I hope they miss the playoffs.

There’s also something called team chemistry and player confidence which they probably didn’t help.  

I don’t think anyone’s comments that you were responding to justified the “dodgers don’t care about fantasy teams” comment.  He literally said “real or fantasy”

Muncy has been kind of terrible since the Derby and his K-rate has skyrocketed to nearly 50%.  I cant agree that he is the “second-best hitter” on the Dodgers currently.

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Muncy has been kind of terrible since the Derby and his K-rate has skyrocketed to nearly 50%.  I cant agree that he is the “second-best hitter” on the Dodgers currently.

Hes been in a slump sure but he’s getting out of it.  In his last 15 games (which is only 31 at bats y unfortunately) he’s batting .258 with 4 homers and a 1.013 OPS.  You can’t contiue to use the slump as his measuring stick.  

I guess since Turner is fully back he’s probably 2nd.  

But who else would you put ahead of him?

Manny Machado.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Manny Machado.

Ok if you had read the thread everyone was obviously talking about after Machado

I have read the thread - why call someone the Dodgers’ second-best hitter when you don’t believe he actually is?

Prior to this week, Muncy was slashing .179/.266/.393, striking out nearly half of the time since the ASB.  He’s been mediocre for years.  Are we supposed to assume he is an elite hitter now based on an excellent third of a season?

7 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Hes been in a slump sure but he’s getting out of it.  In his last 15 games (which is only 31 at bats y unfortunately) he’s batting .258 with 4 homers and a 1.013 OPS.  You can’t contiue to use the slump as his measuring stick.  

I guess since Turner is fully back he’s probably 2nd.  

But who else would you put ahead of him?

For fantasy purposes the only good thing Max does is homeruns. Last 30 days in a 5x5, Max has a player rate of (17th place on the Dodgers) 0.62. For the season 4.62 good for 8th. 

You know the problem the Dodgers have to many mouths to feed....

the only full full time players that I believe are Manny, Dozier, Bellinger & Turner 

12 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Ok if you had read the thread everyone was obviously talking about after Machado

But Manny is a Dodger 

48 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

For fantasy purposes the only good thing Max does is homeruns. Last 30 days in a 5x5, Max has a player rate of (17th place on the Dodgers) 0.62. For the season 4.62 good for 8th. 

You know the problem the Dodgers have to many mouths to feed....

the only full full time players that I believe are Manny, Dozier, Bellinger & Turner 

Only because of where he is in the lineup now.  He would get plenty of R’s and RBI’s hitting where he used to hit.  

Is there a big difference in Dozier’s and Muncy’s defense? Otherwise there’s really no reason for Dozier to be full time.

5 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Only because of where he is in the lineup now.  He would get plenty of R’s and RBI’s hitting where he used to hit.  

Is there a big difference in Dozier’s and Muncy’s defense? Otherwise there’s really no reason for Dozier to be full time.

Yes.  Muncy is, and has been throughout his career, far worse defensively than Dozier.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Its harder to dismiss a Inaccurate/hyperbolic statement (being the 2nd best hitter) when you are being hyperbolic and inaccurate yourself. No one thinks a guy with 17% K rate is "close to" striking out 30% of the time. So why would a 37% K rate be close to 50%?  He has a 116 RC+ since the derby. In what world is that kinda terrible?

Normally i wouldn't bother pointing this picks from your nit, but you other posters decided to prolong the Dodgers hitters ranking debate.  When most of us are wondering why he is getting sat for Kemp/Taylor/Kiki. So the useful debate is comparing them to the players he's actually losing PT too. .

Just now, Slatykamora said:

Its harder to dismiss a Inaccurate/hyperbolic statement (being the 2nd best hitter) when you are being hyperbolic and inaccurate yourself. No one thinks a guy with 17% K rate is "close to" striking out 30% of the time. So why would a 37% K rate be close to 50%?  He has a 116 RC+ since the derby. In what world is that kinda terrible?

Normally i wouldn't bother pointing this out, but you other posters decided to prolong the Dodgers hitters ranking debate.  When most of us are wondering why he is getting sat for Kemp/Taylor/Kiki. So the useful debate is comparing them to the players he's actually losing PT too. .

What I wrote is completely accurate - as of the beginning of this past week, his K-rate was 46%.  Forgive me for approximating that as “nearly half” the time.  Furthermore, the slash line I stated was also accurate as of that point.  Literally nothing I wrote was hyperbolic.  And yes, that’s terrible.

His power by all accounts appears to be real. He has a knack for drawing walks. We've seen plenty of great production from guys with K's in the 30's range. He does not have platoon splits. Kemp has crater and Taylor as regressed back to being Taylor. I get why the Dodgers still want to give them chances after being major role players not too long ago.

If the argument is the fielding the best team to win. Its Muncy in the lineup, Taylor in a super utility and Kemp on the bench. While Joc/Kiki still do the platoon thing. With Bellinger in the OF, who is more than athletic enough for it and is already likely to be better than Kemp.

Sorry if i'm singling you out BMCP. I just tire of a Dodgers hitters ranking debate.

56 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Normally i wouldn't bother pointing this picks from your nit, but you other posters decided to prolong the Dodgers hitters ranking debate.  When most of us are wondering why he is getting sat for Kemp/Taylor/Kiki. So the useful debate is comparing them to the players he's actually losing PT too. .

He needs to be compared to Dozier as well. 

13 minutes ago, The Waker said:

I know we play fantasy, and I love having Muncy 2B eligible, but I think this is where your logic is faulty. Have you ever seen him? Muncy is not a 2B. He is a corner infielder who was playing there out of desperation. 

The things that hurt Muncy:

1) Kemp resurgence 

2) JTurner returning from injury

3) Machado trade (pushing Taylor to the OF)

A strange combination of events. But Muncy was never going to be the long term answer at 2B.

2 hours ago, The Waker said:

Outside of power, he’s not going to do well in that comparison. Defense alone is a huge reason for Dozier to get the starts at 2B. He’s going to have to get his K/BB back under control before he gets anything close to cosisntent playing time. Right now he’s a two true outcome player, Adam Dunn minus the walks.