WTP333

Max Muncy 2018 Outlook

Rotoworld blurbers have been reading Muncy's thread...

Advice: Muncy cracked his team-leading 21st home run, accounting for the team's only run. He is slashing an outstanding .272/.412/.617 on the season, but greedy fantasy owners will complain that he has just 39 RBI. Each of his past 12 homers have been of the solo variety. The last time he hit a bomb with guys on base was June 3 in Colorado off of Chad Bettis. (Rotoworld.com)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2018 at 7:41 AM, 2014olympicgold said:

He's starting the HR Derby....

There's no one on base in the HR Derby so Muncy is gonna dominate

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

OT:  BTW who is in the Home Run Derby?  Is there a thread for it?  (Please don't tell me Aguilar is in it too.  I don't want them both ruined).

I bet MLB wasn't thinking of a guy only Dodgers and hardcore baseball fans know about to be in the Derby this year.  Not exactly the headliner they had in mind, hah.

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT:  BTW who is in the Home Run Derby?  Is there a thread for it?  (Please don't tell me Aguilar is in it too.  I don't want them both ruined).

I bet MLB wasn't thinking of a guy only Dodgers and hardcore baseball fans know about to be in the Derby this year.  Not exactly the headliner they had in mind, hah.

Bryce

Muncy

Baez

Schwarber

For the NL. AL is TBD

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, elrey said:

Bryce

Muncy

Baez

Schwarber

For the NL. AL is TBD

Two Cubs? They better hope the curse isn't real. They just finally broke the last curse they had on them. 

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

True, but say Muncy wins it, it could still be a big deal.  He seems to be on the cusp of starting to get to be well known.

3 minutes ago, Halo Fan said:

Solo shot Muncy is the deGrom of hitters.

You made me think he hit one tonight...

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

You made me think he hit one tonight...

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

Same. 

@Halo Fan don’t do that again.

Sorry guys!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ff062018 said:

Another solo shot...

But he also drove somebody in with a hit a couple of ABs later.  Obviously it would be nice if somebody could actually get on in front of him when he hits these HRs, but at this point it's just expected I suppose.

Gonna say it here, Muncy is gonna lead the league in HRs. He has a bunch of work to do but he has had less ABs to get to 22. Guy sees the ball incredibly well and is never off balance. I’m worried about the Home Run Derby, but he isn’t gonna need to change his swing as much to launch the baseball. I see big things from him. 

2 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Gonna say it here, Muncy is gonna lead the league in HRs. He has a bunch of work to do but he has had less ABs to get to 22. Guy sees the ball incredibly well and is never off balance. I’m worried about the Home Run Derby, but he isn’t gonna need to change his swing as much to launch the baseball. I see big things from him. 

I think he definitely would had he had a full season of AB's.  But 7 HR's is a lot to make up with just 68 games left.

1 hour ago, The Waker said:

I think he definitely would had he had a full season of AB's.  But 7 HR's is a lot to make up with just 68 games left.

Aguilar begs to differ and he didn't start the season as an everyday player either.  Both are doing great.  Let us all agree on that.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Does Machado affect his PT? Ideally you would want Machado SS, Turner 3B, Bellinger 1B, Muncy 2B, with Forsythe and Utley odd, wait a minute, what if Muncy is one of the pieces they give up for Machado? ?

Typically it’s prospects and a salary dump. I’d be shocked if Muncy was in the deal

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Does Machado affect his PT? Ideally you would want Machado SS, Turner 3B, Bellinger 1B, Muncy 2B, with Forsythe and Utley odd, wait a minute, what if Muncy is one of the pieces they give up for Machado? ?

Muncy has been named starting 2B. CTaylor has been playing SS, and I’m assuming he plays more in the OF. Shouldn’t affect Muncy at all.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Muncy has been named starting 2B. CTaylor has been playing SS, and I’m assuming he plays more in the OF. Shouldn’t affect Muncy at all.

Even if he would move from 2B (which I do still doubt he would), Muncy has done more than enough to still be any everyday player in their lineup.  They would find a way regardless.  They know what he means to their lineup.

Muncy is an average major league fielder/defender at several positions and through the first 3.5 months of the season, one of the most productive hitters in the national league. There's no way he gets traded away from a contending team or gets demoted to the bench. 

Muncy is a legitimate MVP candidate in 2018.

• Like 1

There's gotta be a little concern here, at least for getting full time at bats including vs lefties.  Gotta think Turner at 3rd and Machado at short is locked up, which takes away his 3rd base playing time and knocks Taylor to the OF, which will give Bellinger more starts at first.

Hopefully he still starts full time vs righties at 2nd, with some starts at 1st thrown in there vs lefties.  Gotta think he will if he keeps hitting.

Edited by The Waker

17 minutes ago, The Waker said:

There's gotta be a little concern here, at least for getting full time at bats including vs lefties.  Gotta think Turner at 3rd and Machado at short is locked up, which takes away his 3rd base playing time and knocks Taylor to the OF, which will give Bellinger more starts at first.

Hopefully he still starts full time vs righties at 2nd, with some starts at 1st thrown in there vs lefties.  Gotta think he will if he keeps hitting.

He's actually been better vs. LHP than vs. RHP so far this year (small sample I know, but 1.100+ OPS packs a punch no matter how few ABs).  I have to think he's going to start about 6 out of every 7 games at least.

vs. LHP    LAD - 57 12 19 2 0 6 10 13 2 13 1 0 .333 .457 .684

vs RHP     LAD - 168 32 42 7 0 16 31 39 3 52 1 0 .250 .392 .577 .970

5 minutes ago, castaway98 said:

He's actually been better vs. LHP than vs. RHP so far this year (small sample I know, but 1.100+ OPS packs a punch no matter how few ABs).  I have to think he's going to start about 6 out of every 7 games at least.

vs. LHP    LAD - 57 12 19 2 0 6 10 13 2 13 1 0 .333 .457 .684

vs RHP     LAD - 168 32 42 7 0 16 31 39 3 52 1 0 .250 .392 .577 .970

I know.  But when he sits its vs lefties.  Or it was when he was sitting.  Maybe the Dodgers didn't trust those numbers or something.

Where do yall think Muncy hits?  Turner has sucked so maybe they keep Muncy at 2nd and move Turner down the lineup.

This would be desirable:

Peterson

Muncy

Machado

Kemp

Turner

Bellinger

But more likely he falls to 4th (which would be great) or 5th or 6th.  

Peterson

Turner

Machado

Muncy

Kemp 

Bellinger

2 hours ago, pbjfb said:

And again in this thread too.  Baltimore would dance the happy dance if LA gave them Muncy but it ain't happening.  Way too much to pay for Machado.  A contending team does not give away a good player for a rental.  They add to their active roster and subtract from their farm.  Diaz will be gone and maybe one or two others.

Muncy is already their everyday 2B.  Forsythe is a bench bat and Utley is waiting to retire.  Manny is playing SS with Seager out.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

On 7/14/2018 at 12:47 PM, GC Tacos said:

He is more of an in game power guy than BP monster.  Kind of why you didn't see him hit 440 plus foot moon****s by altering his swing.  He'll be fine.

Also to the PT aspect I saw that Bellinger will get more OF starts esp vs. LHP.  Joc will sit against all LHP.  Muncy will be at 1B those days and cover 2B and some OF the remainder of the time.  No PT lost.