Sign in to follow this  
TribeFoo

Willy Adames 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

Adames has not

You sure about that? Might want to rethink your position on this one

1 hour ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Well, not exactly without precedence. Machado, Turner, and Moncada were all called up to not play their natural position. Right now Gleyber Torres is at 2B. 

And Bellinger came up and and played both CF and 1B. Bryant played 1B, 3B, and OF. There a bunch of recent examples, many of whom are much more highly regarded prospects than Adames, that the guy totally ignored because hes already convinced  himself that Adames won't play another position aside from SS.

Edited by cs3

Obviously no way to know for sure, but I think this might be a situation where he just plays SS.  Even though Hechavarria is coming back, if Adames is doing good, I doubt he gets much playing time.  Either way, Adames is likely up for good this time even if he struggles.

I think he does better this time around.  When they first called him up, he was probably pressing to try to force the Rays to keep him up.  I understand they were being honest, but saying they were going to send him down right away once Wendle was ready to be activated pretty much guaranteed Adames was going to struggle.  He homered off of Chris Sale, so that was something at least.

Excited to see what Adames does this time around.  Between him, Bauers, and obviously Snell, the Rays might actually be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cs3 said:

Well define lately . Upton came up in like 04 -05 and spent 7-8 years with the Rays and is still only 33-34 

Young came up a year or two later like 06 and he is also still only 32-33 .

I would say 12 -14 years ago is still lately . 

Edited by motown magic
Spelling

1-2; 2 RBI; BB; KO; SF tonight. 

Not a bad start. I think he plays SS but 2B eligibility would be a treat. I doubt rays are worried about finding a trade partner for Adeiny and they dont care to wait for the deadline ie: Colome. 

13 hours ago, cs3 said:

You sure about that? Might want to rethink your position on this one

I acknowledged he has played 2B before last year, 11 games, 0 this year, not a big enough sample size for me to believe they will play him at 2B, obv they could, but like i said i wouldnt count on it, time will tell, think theyll send him down before they let Hech take over SS when back

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Adames played 11 games at 2B last year. Torres played a total of 14 games at 2B in the minors. Machado played 4 games at 3B. Turner played 7 games at 2B. Moncada played 16 games at 3B. 

So any real difference is pretty much just splitting hairs. Occasionally teams bring up top prospects to play unfamiliar positions. I'm not disagreeing that it might not be in their best interest or that it is not very common, but it happens.

Gleyber Torres played 43 total games at 2B/3B since 2016 including 10 this year before his callup and 25 times last year compared to 28 at SS a pretty even split, and due to your wrong stats on him im just gonna assume your wrong on the others

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Gleyber Torres played 43 total games at 2B/3B since 2016 including 10 this year before his callup and 25 times last year compared to 28 at SS a pretty even split, and due to your wrong stats on him im just gonna assume your wrong on the others

Well here is his BBREF minor league totals. You can claim he's a finely tuned utility man but it's pretty clear to me he is a SS. That was called up to play 2B because of Didi. 

kVIpPcL.jpg

Maybe your tacking on a few fall league games or something... Like I said, splitting hairs. This is either just trolling or in denial. 

3 minutes ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Well here is his BBREF minor league totals. You can claim he's a finely tuned utility man but it's pretty clear to me he is a SS. That was called up to play 2B because of Didi. 

kVIpPcL.jpg

Maybe your tacking on a few fall league games or something... Like I said, splitting hairs. This is either just trolling or in denial. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=torres000gle

i was going off of the second table there about fielding, maybe i am reading it wrong haha but thats where my stats came from no trolling

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BleedRedsRed said:

He was def a SS, but he was moved off in the minors because they knew Didi was there, comparing that to having Hech at SS isnt even close to a valid comparison and adames hasnt played 2B once this year why wouldnt he if they know Hech is there? or if they had intentions of playing him at 2B?

like i said im not saying he wont get 2B elig, but the only reasoning you guys have for him getting it is based off of a weak journeyman SS "blocking" him and what other teams have done (which is actually diff than adames in that having them play multiple positions in the minors which a young players mental state can also be brought up as they were mentally prepared to play other positions via the minors, adames is/has not as recent as this season, only SS)

once Hech is back we will see for certain and id be thrilled with 2B elig so i wouldnt mind him getting it as i own him lol just dont think its likely

rather not keep filling up this thread with the same 2B elig discussion though so ill leave it here, feel free to make one final point if you want

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Haha 1

kmoore,

Give it up. Even if Adames never plays a single inning at any position besides SS in his entire MLB career, the entire premise for your argument has been proven wrong. Let it go and move on, and stop derailing the thread.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cs3 said:

And Bellinger came up and and played both CF and 1B. Bryant played 1B, 3B, and OF. There a bunch of recent examples, many of whom are much more highly regarded prospects than Adames, that the guy totally ignored because hes already convinced  himself that Adames won't play another position aside from SS.

Final thought since this thread isnt really popping anyway, to explain my confused reaction to your last comment

Machado - Turner - Bryant are good examples - didnt play their positions really until MLB

Moncada - Bellinger - Torres are not - all played multiple positions fairly substantially in the minors or played their current position (moncada)

Both sides have logical reasoning behind their opinions, not sure how the entire premise of my argument has been disproved by simply naming a couple guys who played diff positions once in the majors when theres players on the other end of the spectrum (who you even tried to use to support your argument) that do not favor your argument but to each their own i guess

And if you read my last post before that passive aggressive comment, i literally said i was done cluttering the thread but thanks for cluttering it more lol

Back to adames i def think he is up for good as well unless he struggles badly, the fact he isnt getting told hes going back down like last time as someone else mentioned i think will be huge, should be a nice boost for MI needy teams hopefully

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Haha 1

Time to pick him back up and stash him. He’s hit safely in 4 of 5 since being recalled and has batted in the 3, 5 and 6 spots. He has the potential to bat pretty much anywhere in that order so I definitely see value even this year.

• Like 1

Batting in the 3-hole today. Get him while the getting is good.

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

Batting in the 3-hole today. Get him while the getting is good.

Whats a realistic projection for the second half?  Five steals and five homers, with a good OBP?  Decent for a Shortstop I suppose.

Although if Tampa keeps him in the three hole that would certainly help his counting stats.

13 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Whats a realistic projection for the second half?  Five steals and five homers, with a good OBP?  Decent for a Shortstop I suppose.

Although if Tampa keeps him in the three hole that would certainly help his counting stats.

ROS (as in starting today) I could see:

.265 AVG, 5-7 HRs, 9-12 SBs, 60ish R and 50ish RBI.

I’ll take that out of a SS for sure. And there’s obviously upside here since he’s been a top 100 prospect for 4 years and a top 20 prospect for the last 2. He’s the last piece of the David Price trade so I am also desperately hoping he works out. ?

1 minute ago, Dunkaroos said:

Starting at 2b today

Even better. Getting started on that extra position eligibility now. ?

58 minutes ago, Dunkaroos said:

Starting at 2b today

Good thing we have 2 pages of discussion on whether or not he’ll make starts at position other than SS...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Good thing we have 2 pages of discussion on whether or not he’ll make starts at position other than SS...

You do understand the difference between discussing whether something will happen and reporting that it has happened, right?

On ‎17‎-‎6‎-‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Dislimb said:

ROS (as in starting today) I could see:

.265 AVG, 5-7 HRs, 9-12 SBs, 60ish R and 50ish RBI.

I’ll take that out of a SS for sure. And there’s obviously upside here since he’s been a top 100 prospect for 4 years and a top 20 prospect for the last 2. He’s the last piece of the David Price trade so I am also desperately hoping he works out. ?

He'll need to stop striking out as much as he's doing right now to hit for average. 20 K in only 44 AB.

is Adames guaranteed to stay with TB? it's not like he was really lighting up in the minors. if he's going to continue striking out like this (41.7 K%) then maybe he needs more time in the minors.

His K% actually increased at AAA over last year.  Last year he was at 26% this year (before the call up) he was at 28.5%.  Maybe he's just trying to do too much at the plate?