Sign in to follow this  
TribeFoo

Willy Adames 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

On 6/21/2018 at 6:27 AM, Sine_cera said:

He'll need to stop striking out as much as he's doing right now to hit for average. 20 K in only 44 AB.

Look at the teams/pitchers he’s faced thus far though. I mean, I get what you’re saying and it is a valid concern. This is the most brutal part of the Rays’ schedule all year though.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, Dislimb said:

Look at the teams/pitchers he’s faced thus far though. I mean, I get what you’re saying and it is a valid concern. This is the most brutal part of the Rays’ schedule all year though.

IKR check out this week schedule of the SP they are facing, BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, scottishguy said:

IKR check out this week schedule of the SP they are facing, BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly.  It's almost the same all over again, except they get a bonus of facing Scherzer.

Still, he is going to need to cut down on the strikeouts no matter what the schedule is.  He strikes out every game, even when he does good like he did yesterday.  He still obviously has the potential for a very bright future, but the strikeouts are a legit problem no matter who is facing.

Back to back multi-hit games with a homer mixed in for good measure. Just hoping he can at least have competitive ABs until the tough part of the schedule is over. He’s been hitting 8th or 9th lately, but in this Rays lineup there is plenty of room to move up.

Edited by Dislimb

On 6/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, Dislimb said:

Back to back multi-hit games with a homer mixed in for good measure. Just hoping he can at least have competitive ABs until the tough part of the schedule is over. He’s been hitting 8th or 9th lately, but in this Rays lineup there is plenty of room to move up.

I don't understand the point of hitting Adames ninth.  Adames is a big part of their future, and Tampa is going nowhere this season, so I would think hitting him in the middle of the order would make more sense to help with his development.  That way he gets a bit more protection.

Hopefully Adames is moved up to at least seventh sometime soon.  Tempted to drop [Removed BC Content] for Adames though.  With a move up in the lineup I'd feel more comfortable doing so. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed BC content

6 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

I don't understand the point of hitting Adames ninth.  Adames is a big part of their future, and Tampa is going nowhere this season, so I would think hitting him in the middle of the order would make more sense to help with his development.  That way he gets a bit more protection.

Hopefully Adames is moved up to at least seventh sometime soon.  Tempted to drop [Removed BC Content] for Adames though.  With a move up in the lineup I'd feel more comfortable doing so. 

I think he’ll be moved up in the lineup soon. The Rays are going to have a pretty big fire sale in July so the opportunity will be there.

I hadn't been paying attention and I don't remember who it was that said Adames would only be playing SS, but I noticed on yahoo that he now has 2B eligibility.

11 hours ago, miamifin33 said:

He's been a dynamic fantasy player over the past week or so, showing both power and speed. 

Very true, although the upcoming schedule after today isn't the most appealing (NYY and BOS).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, miamifin33 said:

He's been a dynamic fantasy player over the past week or so, showing both power and speed. 

Was watching the Tor series for Wendle, but came away very impressed with Adames. Seems that he's started adjusting quickly. 

anyone watching this guy? has a SB in his last 4 games and 3 multihit games in his last 3. 

5 hours ago, LoGo said:

Was watching the Tor series for Wendle, but came away very impressed with Adames. Seems that he's started adjusting quickly. 

Can you provide more feedback on Adames?  Interested if we're talking about plus speed leading to these stolen bases, or simply taking advantage of a pitcher with a slow delivery. 

Also is Adames pull happy, or does he spray the ball around the field?  And is he prone to chasing pitches?

Just trying to gather enough information to see if he would be an upgrade over Ahmed at Short.

added Adames for this week in a weekly as I needed a hitter.  I'm not feeling confident about the pitchers he goes against this upcoming week, though.

8 hours ago, Magnus88 said:

Can you provide more feedback on Adames?  Interested if we're talking about plus speed leading to these stolen bases, or simply taking advantage of a pitcher with a slow delivery. 

Also is Adames pull happy, or does he spray the ball around the field?  And is he prone to chasing pitches?

Just trying to gather enough information to see if he would be an upgrade over Ahmed at Short.

I mean, I only saw 2.5 games but he looked good. Looked like he has a good feel for base stealing. Solid speed, not elite. 

The games i saw, he has several opo hits, so I think his spray chart can be expected to be diverse. 

Dude, this cat is on fire.  I know his pitching match ups are brutal the rest of the week, but he's looking good.  If he keeps stealing bases he's a must own.

Wasn't he a plus defender in the minors? His defense at SS has been very shaky so far. 10 errors and a .928 FP is not what I expected from him.

Edited by Sine_cera

On 8/12/2018 at 6:24 PM, benturn22 said:

added Adames for this week in a weekly as I needed a hitter.  I'm not feeling confident about the pitchers he goes against this upcoming week, though.

I think there's room for optimism this week actually. He gets Cessa tonight (9 IP, 7 ER over last two starts) and Tanaka tomorrow night. Tanaka has been doing well since coming off the DL minus the last outing against the hot, but poor TX offense(5 IP, 6 ER, 9 BR, 2 K), but I personally think its a toss up at Yankee Stadium with his homer volatility. He then gets Brian Johnson, who has given up 9 ER over the last 13 IP(2 starts, 1 1 IP appearance). Granted, one start was against the Yanks and I consider it a "win"(5 IP, 4 ER, 8 BR, 11 Ks), but he also got lit up by TOR so I could see it going sideways. The next two games, he gets Price and Sale. Price has been pitching great the last couple months, but he could be due a clunker after his current run(not arguing its a personal gut call). Sale, I wont make a case for obviously because the man sits atop the podium IMO, but hes the only one I really worry about and would sit him against.

48 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

Wasn't he a plus defender in the minors? His defense at SS has been very shaky so far. 10 errors and a .928 FP is not what I expected from him.

6 have been throwing errors. For now i'd just chalk it up as a young player being over-eager to throw guys out and not having the composer to focus his throws.

No one in the majors has more than 9 throwing errors this year. So this is a highly unusual pace for throwing errors.

Slowly moving up the order. Targeting this dude as a late round flier in all leagues next year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Slowly moving up the order. Targeting this dude as a late round flier in all leagues next year.

If he keeps this up through September, you're not getting this guy as a late round flier next year. The buzz will be crazy around him. He's showing power AND speed at 2nd AND SS. 

• Like 2

showing big power too. went dead center tonight, and his last one hit the rafters or whatever you would call them at the Trop.

11 hours ago, miamifin33 said:

If he keeps this up through September, you're not getting this guy as a late round flier next year. The buzz will be crazy around him. He's showing power AND speed at 2nd AND SS. 

Yeah in redrafts he's shooting up 2019 draft boards with every HR & SB... In keepers he should've been added weeks ago when he got hot as a 'flier' &/or a potential hot-hitting playoff bat, but now with him staying hot, flashing power/speed, combined with his 2b/SS eligibility - this guys looking like a "must-keep" in Keeper formats & in redrafts he might become a mid-round pick with some upside. The statistics he's putting up & his 2b/SS eligibility actually reminds me a lot of a young-Javy Baez. 

On 8/25/2018 at 3:30 AM, miamifin33 said:

I thought so too so went looking for his 2019 hype thread, where is it?

Recently acquired this kid in a keeper league. Like a lot what he showed in his large cup of coffee last year. Could see 15-20HR, 10SBs next year.

Though got to be careful not to hype the hell out of these guys. Look at Devers this year, many young kids struggle in their first full season. 2020 is when I expect him to fully blossom.