Pirate

Warriors Legacy?

2 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Alas, the revelation of this injury allows you to, if you choose, look at game 1 and games 2-4 differently.

Game 1: Healthy LeBron. Cavs lose in OT. On top of that were the recipient of some bad calls and poor luck.

Games 2-4: Injured LeBron. None of the games were close. 16+ pt avg margin of victory for the Warriors

See how that makes LeBron look better?

Seems like bull**** to me. I'm not saying he didn't punch it or hurt his hand but common. Look at how much force he throws that down with. I'm sure if his hand was actually killing him it would at least somewhat show if you went back and looked at it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Alas, the revelation of this injury allows you to, if you choose, look at game 1 and games 2-4 differently.

Game 1: Healthy LeBron. Cavs lose in OT. On top of that were the recipient of some bad calls and poor luck.

Games 2-4: Injured LeBron. None of the games were close. 16+ pt avg margin of victory for the Warriors

See how that makes LeBron look better?

No, it's more like when Draymond got himself suspended due to his antics in the finals series they ended up losing. People went on to speculate that "GSW weren't at full force in that game 5 and lost some momentum...", so some people possibly let the team slightly off the hook, but not Draymond, since he was the culprit for putting them into that position. This one though was more like what happened with Stoudemire. Took place outside the game.

If the alleged hand injury wasn't a result of an unnecessary bonehead move (losing your cool, and like I said, basically sabotaging yourself), it would be a different case. I.e. had the injury occurred accidentally e.g. in the course of the play (the numerous ankle rolls that take place during a season... Love getting struck to his thumb by the ball.. CP3 hamstring injury... etc.), it would be a different thing, but if you go punching a wall, you could've avoided it/what do you expect would happen... LBJ being unable to control his emotions had a direct impact to their undoing. Just like with Draymond in the past.

That's why I think it would've been better to not mention that at all. "Yes.. you know our team couldn't match up because I kicked the opponents in the nuts and got suspended." Looking at that clip though... the injury/it's impact is questionable.

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 4:58 PM, Gohawks said:

KD is the best pure scorer in the league by a massive margin and a very good defender. He is an incredible player that would average 35 PPG with Lebron like usage. Yet you rather sit here and spew your crap because you are salty. KD is trash yet he keeps outplaying Lebron when the game is on the line. Funny. Game 1 if that is KD with a smaller defender on him he buries the game instead of passing. I'm not even a Warriors fan but it's hilarious to watch people get so butt hurt because the Warriors assembled a good team like literally anyone else would do.

He hit this right on the nose.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23791851/browns-myles-garrett-critical-durant-joining-warriors

I bet he wouldn’t have complained had it been a 73-win Cleveland team adding Durant. 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:12 AM, Pirate said:

Curious what fans think regarding warriors legacy. Even if they win the chip this year, have these playoffs changed your opion on how you view them or do they just have to win the chip regardless of how they accomplish it?

In reading some of this wanted to offer a few opinions as a Warrior fan:

* Dynasty?  5 years ago this team lost in the 1st round to the Clippers.  A lot of those dynasty teams you mentioned had like 8-10 year runs of reaching finals, losing finals or very least losing in the Conference finals.  

* In terms of Durant, there were so many things that had to fall into place - and honestly as a long time Warrior fan, its about freakin time that things fell into place for us.  So many moves through the years the Warriors were in the wrong place with the wrong rules. 

Example A:  In the early 90's, Warriors had one of the best small ball groups assembled with Tim Hardaway, Latrell Sprewell and Chris Mullin.   They had the unfortune but fortune of an injury year in 92-93, got the 3rd pick, traded it (Penny Hardaway) and 3 1's for the 1st overall Webber.  Whose ball handling etc made him a great fit and they were fun to watch, won 50+ games even with Tim Hardaway out.  Unfortunately at that time, the rookie scale we know today did not exist, Webber signed a 15-year deal, but had a 1-year out which he took, then held out for money and feuded with Don Nelson, result Webber traded and opportunity lost. 

Example B: Prior to the Lottery, the teams with the two worst records flipped a coin for No.1  - Warriors had one of the two worst the year they decided to put in the lottery, which was Patrick Ewings year.  They got the 7th pick due to rule change.  Got a HOF in Mullin, so wasnt all bad, just a rule change that hurt the Warriors. 

Example C: In 2001, Warriors had a solid draft which included Gilbert Arenas in the 2nd round.  At that time, 2nd rounders couldnt count for Bird rule and so he plays great in the season prior to Lebron and Mello coming out, Warriors end up picking like 10th and then lose him to free agency.  

When the Warriors "We Believe" team pulled the upset of Dallas, that next offseason they made a serious run at Kevin Garnett but McHale took a worse offer and shipped him to his old team in Boston.  Put KG on the Warriors?  

This Warrior team is fun to watch when engaged, and they made some great moves to give themselves a chance to land Durant, Curry's ankle injury cost him some money on his first deal, Klay and Draymond were great picks and it set them up to even have a shot.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:42 AM, jstep13 said:

I bet he wouldn’t have complained had it been a 73-win Cleveland team adding Durant. 

That would be even more unfair seeing as LeBron is better than steph, klay, and draymond as he proved in 2016.

Curious what fans think regarding warriors legacy. Even if they win the chip this year, have these playoffs changed your opion on how you view them or do they just have to win the chip regardless of how they accomplish it?

Adding my 2 cents...

It's funny to see how much hate the Warriors get for their recent success, considering how long we've historically been the laughingstocks of the NBA. Just making the playoffs felt like an unbelievable accomplishment when we had only made the playoffs twice in nearly 20 years. 3 championships in 4 years feels absolutely surreal... and I doubt any longtime fan cares about how it was done.

This article came out just 6 years ago after fans had booed our new owner on Chris Mullin's jersey retirement night, shortly after our fan favorite Monta Eliis got traded away for Bogut. It paints a great picture of the frustration that spanned for decades:

http://grantland.com/features/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps/

Personally I'm cool with the criticism and anger regarding KD's decision to join the Warriors. I felt pretty angry when Lakers traded Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol because I knew it would result in multiple championships. I guess one could argue that this move isn't nearly the same magnitude.. but I pretty much share the same sentiment as @parrothead - it's about time that things fell into place for us.

Edited by darkyume
  • Like 2

Seriously, to win 3 Championships?  I never thought I would see one, in part because it felt for a while like the NBA was going to be sexy locations where stars would congregate (Lakers, Miami, etc) or your typical Blue Bloods and the rest of the league was just window dressing.  Whats interesting about the history of the NBA is that in a league where 1 player makes such a difference, the little things and tweaks to the rules has had a drastic cause and effect relationship.  I often think about the 80's to early 90's Lakers teams, really were formed off two miracle trades that landed them two overall No.1 picks.  

IN 79 draft they used a pick received in a trade to get Magic Johnson, then after winning the championship in 1982, they had the No.1 overall pick again through a trade and got a top 50 overall all time player James Worthy

The Celtics, who were the other dominant team of the 80's, also had two major moves, one involving the Warriors.  The first was their star Larry Bird was taken a year before he could come out of school, I guess back then if a player was draft eligible you could take him even though he still had 1 year of college?  Then they traded the No.1 overall pick Joe Barry Carroll or as Warrior fans used to call him Just Barely Cares or Just Barely Carroll to the Warriors for the 4th pick Kevin McHale and Warriors center Robert Parish.  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 4:20 AM, Carlos Correa said:

Also, for anybody that thinks Jordan couldn't be a playmaker like LeBron, you're wrong. He wasn't ASKED to be a PG like LeBron is. But when he was ASKED to, he not only did it just as well as LeBron, but even better. He also had a span at PG where he dropped 10 triple doubles in an 11 game span. Even Russell Westbrook would blush at that.

"Jordan continued to play at the PG spot until the end of the season. In these 24 games he averaged 30.4 pts, 9.2 reb, 10.7 asts & 2.4 stls."

http://ballislife.com/michael-jordan-could-of-been-the-best-point-guard-ever-want-proof/

Screw the Finals record...

LeBron will never surpass Jordan for the simple fact that he put on a dissappearing act vs Mavericks in 2011. That will forever be a black stint on his legacy.

I cant remeber Jordan having that awful of a performance as LeBron did in 2011.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

LeBron will never surpass Jordan for the simple fact that he put on a dissappearing act vs Mavericks in 2011. That will forever be a black stint on his legacy.

1995 Jordan choked in the eastern conference finals and was beaten by Shaq & Penny. He needed Rodman to beat them in 1996.

11 hours ago, cashvillesent said:

Here we go again!

9 hours ago, Auction>Snake said:

1995 Jordan choked in the eastern conference finals and was beaten by Shaq & Penny. He needed Rodman to beat them in 1996.

LeBron averaged 16.1 ppg in the Finals.

Enough said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cashvillesent said:

You're talking to a brick wall. For some reason this guy (Ive never seen anyone else do this) holds his 18-month comeback against him. LeBron and Jordan are no comparison. Basically those who believe LeBron is GOAT are the flat-earthers of the world. Not to be taken seriously. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jstep13 said:

You're talking to a brick wall. For some reason this guy (Ive never seen anyone else do this) holds his 18-month comeback against him. LeBron and Jordan are no comparison. Basically those who believe LeBron is GOAT are the flat-earthers of the world. Not to be taken seriously. 

LeBron is my favorite player of all time but he will never surpass Jordan. I think its safe to say hes a close number #2 of all time.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 2:36 AM, Auction>Snake said:

Averaging 31/6.5/3.7/2.5/1.8 is a choke? If your team isn't as good as your opponent and you play well and get beat that isn't a choke. Lebron choked vs. Dallas and I think he would be the first to admit that he played very poorly. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I don't know when we started to expect perfection from superstars...like we expect them to just be ready to excel in any moment. Superstars that face adversity and grow is more normal to me. Lebron's willingness to take over games and just be the man right now is because of his experience versus Dallas. Personally, I think the GOAT argument is idiotic and just a never ending topic for the talking heads to fill time. Lebron, Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Duncan, etc. are all incredibly impressive basketball players in their unique ways. The fact that we continue to talk about those that have retired years or decades ago should be enough. 

Here is my take on the Warriors. They are one of the most impressively assembled teams and one of the most impressively unselfish teams I can remember. They are an incredible team made up of really talented players that play so well together. They are incredibly unselfish. They are incredibly efficient. They are incredibly high IQ basketball players that either have the ability to create mismatches or know how to exploit mismatches that their teammates create. 

I grew up in Chicago with Jordan. I am sure opponents felt helpless versus Jordan, but this Warriors team feels really different to me. The only comparison I have watched that measured up to Jordan's ability to will himself to win regardless of opposition and actually doing it ever time and demoralizing opponents is Tiger Woods in his prime. This Warriors team is different. This is demoralization on a whole different level because they are so incredibly skilled, talented, selfless, and just badass as a group. If Curry or Durant have a bad day your chances of beating the Warriors probably increases about 10%. If Jordan had a bad day your chances of beating some of his Bulls teams probably increased 25-50%. You just know you don't stack up favorably versus this Warriors team over a 7 game series before you even get started.

My praise for the Warriors has little to do with them having 4 "superstars". In reality, they have 2 superstars, 2 supporting players that have the ability to perform like superstars when the game flow allows for it, and a bunch of role players that play their role. KD and Steph are two of the most skilled players of all time. Klay and Draymond play their roles perfectly for this team. Draymond to me is the most important player for the Warriors because his selflessness allows them to create insane mismatches and allows the rest of the talent to flourish. He spaces to 3. He makes all of the right plays. And he is willing to do whatever on defense. And that means being an undersized 5 and banging with the trees. Remember, he was really the first player to embrace being an undersized 4 or 5 at a time when Lebron, Carmelo, KD, etc. refused to play the 4 unless absolutely necessary in the postseason. 

And I haven't even talked about Klay. The dude has so much skill and just makes the right play and doesn't force anything. And he plays defense. And then you have Iggy who just plays selfless and buys into the team concept. This is the best example of a current team that has a bunch of players that could not care less about their personal stats and just buy in to their offensive and defensive concepts and only care about the team winning. That goes beyond assembling 3 max players or a superteam. Guys like Westbrook and Lebron will never have that IMO because they just dribble the ball too much. Watching the Warriors play offense you won't see that. Curry has that ability to dribble and create something every possession, but he doesn't. Same with KD. But he doesn't. The only team that I watched perform at a similar level to the current Warriors (as a team) was the 2014 Spurs. That Spurs team was just on another level and they demoralized their opposition and they actually weren't freakishly talented on paper. They just bought in and played as a team to maximize each person's skills. This Warriors team is the same way, only way more talented. They are ridiculously impressive and I think we didn't even see them at their peak this postseason. I think Steph, Klay, Iggy were more injured than people think. No one is close to competing with the Warriors in a 7 game series where both squads are at full health. The Warriors are one of the most impressively constructed teams of all time and I say that as a person that really really really does not like the Warriors. Good for them and bad for everyone else. 

Edited by thezing1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Averaging 31/6.5/3.7/2.5/1.8 is a choke? If your team isn't as good as your opponent and you play well and get beat that isn't a choke. Lebron choked vs. Dallas and I think he would be the first to admit that he played very poorly. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I don't know when we started to expect perfection from superstars...like we expect them to just be ready to excel in any moment. Superstars that face adversity and grow is more normal to me. Lebron's willingness to take over games and just be the man right now is because of his experience versus Dallas. Personally, I think the GOAT argument is idiotic and just a never ending topic for the talking heads to fill time. Lebron, Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Duncan, etc. are all incredibly impressive basketball players in their unique ways. The fact that we continue to talk about those that have retired years or decades ago should be enough. 

Here is my take on the Warriors. They are one of the most impressively assembled teams and one of the most impressively unselfish teams I can remember. They are an incredible team made up of really talented players that play so well together. They are incredibly unselfish. They are incredibly efficient. They are incredibly high IQ basketball players that either have the ability to create mismatches or know how to exploit mismatches that their teammates create. 

I grew up in Chicago with Jordan. I am sure opponents felt helpless versus Jordan, but this Warriors team feels really different to me. The only comparison I have watched that measured up to Jordan's ability to will himself to win regardless of opposition and actually doing it ever time and demoralizing opponents is Tiger Woods in his prime. This Warriors team is different. This is demoralization on a whole different level because they are so incredibly skilled, talented, selfless, and just badass as a group. If Curry or Durant have a bad day your chances of beating the Warriors probably increases about 10%. If Jordan had a bad day your chances of beating some of his Bulls teams probably increased 25-50%. You just know you don't stack up favorably versus this Warriors team over a 7 game series before you even get started.

My praise for the Warriors has little to do with them having 4 "superstars". In reality, they have 2 superstars, 2 supporting players that have the ability to perform like superstars when the game flow allows for it, and a bunch of role players that play their role. KD and Steph are two of the most skilled players of all time. Klay and Draymond play their roles perfectly for this team. Draymond to me is the most important player for the Warriors because his selflessness allows them to create insane mismatches and allows the rest of the talent to flourish. He spaces to 3. He makes all of the right plays. And he is willing to do whatever on defense. And that means being an undersized 5 and banging with the trees. Remember, he was really the first player to embrace being an undersized 4 or 5 at a time when Lebron, Carmelo, KD, etc. refused to play the 4 unless absolutely necessary in the postseason. 

And I haven't even talked about Klay. The dude has so much skill and just makes the right play and doesn't force anything. And he plays defense. And then you have Iggy who just plays selfless and buys into the team concept. This is the best example of a current team that has a bunch of players that could not care less about their personal stats and just buy in to their offensive and defensive concepts and only care about the team winning. That goes beyond assembling 3 max players or a superteam. Guys like Westbrook and Lebron will never have that IMO because they just dribble the ball too much. Watching the Warriors play offense you won't see that. Curry has that ability to dribble and create something every possession, but he doesn't. Same with KD. But he doesn't. The only team that I watched perform at a similar level to the current Warriors (as a team) was the 2014 Spurs. That Spurs team was just on another level and they demoralized their opposition and they actually weren't freakishly talented on paper. They just bought in and played as a team to maximize each person's skills. This Warriors team is the same way, only way more talented. They are ridiculously impressive and I think we didn't even see them at their peak this postseason. I think Steph, Klay, Iggy were more injured than people think. No one is close to competing with the Warriors in a 7 game series where both squads are at full health. The Warriors are one of the most impressively constructed teams of all time and I say that as a person that really really really does not like the Warriors. Good for them and bad for everyone else. 

Great post, hit the nail on the head.

Adding to what you said about this team feeling different, I agree. Never have I seen a team so confident in their game plan of wearing an opponent down. They are confident every time that no one can keep up with them over 48 minutes, over a 7 game series. Time and time again, they are proven right. This team plays the game within the game better than any team I've ever seen. Credit a lot of that to Kerr and his experience with the Bulls teams. He's seen every situation. I also agree that the Warriors didn't play up to their ability these playoffs. They had a bunch of injuries and Steph had basically missed 6 weeks of action before being thrown into playoff basketball. It took a while for the team to get the rhythm back, but it wasn't all the way back IMO.

It's no surprise that the Warriors were the best 3rd quarter team is history. Sure some of it is because of complacency in the first half, but a lot of it is them just outlasting other teams. Their style of play makes you work on both ends with consistent player and ball movement on offense, and forcing teams to ISO more than they'd like on the other end with all their switching on defense.

Talent goes a long way in trying to build a strong team. But throwing talent together doesn't guarantee anything. We've seen plenty of stacked teams just not work because of many factors. Fit has to be there, and everyone has to be willing to sacrifice (to different degrees). None of this works if Steph says "this is my team, we don't need KD", or Klay says "I don't want to be a third option". You have to give credit to great players who are willing to sacrifice for the betterment of the team. These guys truly value winning and their actions show that. I can't think of another team who was this good (or close to it) that was this unselfish from top to bottom, it's just so rare.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Averaging 31/6.5/3.7/2.5/1.8 is a choke? If your team isn't as good as your opponent and you play well and get beat that isn't a choke.

Exactly he wasn't "rusty" as so many claim, he was eliminated fair and square and didn't make the NBA finals. But he did choke, he came up short, choked in a crucial situation against Nick Anderson and cost his team the game and a chance at the title. He also air-balled a game-winning shot earlier in the series.

3 hours ago, Auction>Snake said:

Exactly he wasn't "rusty" as so many claim, he was eliminated fair and square and didn't make the NBA finals. But he did choke, he came up short, choked in a crucial situation against Nick Anderson and cost his team the game and a chance at the title. He also air-balled a game-winning shot earlier in the series.

So let me get this straight. 

Lebron averaging the stats that he averaged these playoffs/finals makes this run absolutely incredible because of his teammates  despite coming up short. Choking himself in game 1 by not taking the big shot to end it and disappearing in OT and consistently getting out played by KD in the clutch the last two finals. 

Jordan coming off not playing for nearly two years and also just coming up short with incredible stats makes it a choke. 

6 hours ago, Gohawks said:

So let me get this straight. 

Lebron averaging the stats that he averaged these playoffs/finals makes this run absolutely incredible because of his teammates  despite coming up short. Choking himself in game 1 by not taking the big shot to end it and disappearing in OT and consistently getting out played by KD in the clutch the last two finals. 

Jordan coming off not playing for nearly two years and also just coming up short with incredible stats makes it a choke. 

Yeah sounds about right, except that you're blaming Lebron for not taking a shot at the end of G1, as if that's somehow not JR's fault, especially when Lebron actually eventually even asked the idiot for the ball, and that Jordan's team wasn't utter trash like Lebron's. Looks like you're finally catching on! 

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

Yeah sounds about right, except that you're blaming Lebron for not taking a shot at the end of G1, as if that's somehow not JR's fault, especially when Lebron actually eventually even asked the idiot for the ball, and that Jordan's team wasn't utter trash like Lebron's. Looks like you're finally catching on! 

Before Hill missed the FT Lebron was one on one with a guy over 5 inches shorter than him yet decided to pass. 

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

I think the argument is about how people define "choking". Taking a shot and missing it isn't choking. If you interpret that as choking in a sport where the all time greats miss more than 50% of the time than you are just saying choking is not being perfect. Jordan didn't shrivel up in the moment. He took the shot and he didn't make it. Happens ALLLLLLLLL the time. Lebron didn't choke this postseason. The only time Lebron shriveled up in the moment was versus Dallas in the Finals. And there is nothing wrong with that. There is no simulation for a championship round. I don't get why we have to knock players down for not being perfect when they experience something once and learn and grow from it. Lebron's current greatness is only possible because of his Dallas experience. Jordan's greatness was only possible from feeling the way he felt when he took and missed game winning shots. These experiences fuel the all time greats. I really don't like talking about #8 from the Lakers, but he took/forced so many shots as a young player in crunchtime and airballed and missed them. But he learned from it and it drove him. 

Last thing, that Magic team was pretty awesome. There is no shame in losing to that squad. The Magic had advantages on the court and they took advantage of them. 

And to bring this back to the Warriors, which this thread is supposed to be about, let's not forget the first few times KD was on the big stage. KD didn't make the shots. KD forced some things and failed. But look at him now. He knows how to manage those crunch time moments on the biggest stage because he learned from his failures....or what most of you will call chokes. Doesn't make KD any less amazing and actually solidifies him more as an all time great IMO because he failed and he overcame. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I think the argument is about how people define "choking". Taking a shot and missing it isn't choking. If you interpret that as choking in a sport where the all time greats miss more than 50% of the time than you are just saying choking is not being perfect. Jordan didn't shrivel up in the moment. He took the shot and he didn't make it. Happens ALLLLLLLLL the time. Lebron didn't choke this postseason. The only time Lebron shriveled up in the moment was versus Dallas in the Finals. And there is nothing wrong with that. There is no simulation for a championship round. I don't get why we have to knock players down for not being perfect when they experience something once and learn and grow from it. Lebron's current greatness is only possible because of his Dallas experience. Jordan's greatness was only possible from feeling the way he felt when he took and missed game winning shots. These experiences fuel the all time greats. I really don't like talking about #8 from the Lakers, but he took/forced so many shots as a young player in crunchtime and airballed and missed them. But he learned from it and it drove him. 

Last thing, that Magic team was pretty awesome. There is no shame in losing to that squad. The Magic had advantages on the court and they took advantage of them. 

And to bring this back to the Warriors, which this thread is supposed to be about, let's not forget the first few times KD was on the big stage. KD didn't make the shots. KD forced some things and failed. But look at him now. He knows how to manage those crunch time moments on the biggest stage because he learned from his failures....or what most of you will call chokes. Doesn't make KD any less amazing and actually solidifies him more as an all time great IMO because he failed and he overcame. 

I guess you were taking a potty break when, before Ray Allen bailed out yet another close LeBron failure in '03 game 6, LeBron had brick after brick (including airballs) and turnovers? You probably missed the part where he was crying on the sideline facing yet another playoff failure. Here's video although the guy (smartly) cut out the time outs where LeBron was balling on the sideline. But enjoy his awful shots :D

6 minutes ago, jstep13 said:

I guess you were taking a potty break when, before Ray Allen bailed out yet another close LeBron failure in '03 game 6, LeBron had brick after brick (including airballs) and turnovers? You probably missed the part where he was crying on the sideline facing yet another playoff failure. Here's video although the guy (smartly) cut out the time outs where LeBron was balling on the sideline. But enjoy his awful shots :D

So Paxson bailed Jordan out against the Suns? Or is that narrative as inconvenient for you as your Allen narrative is incorrect? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

So Paxson bailed Jordan out against the Suns? Or is that narrative as inconvenient for you as your Allen narrative is incorrect? 

Sure, did Jordan choke shot after shot after shot before Paxson hit the GW? Did you see Jordan crying on the sideline? And how is Allen hitting the tying shot incorrect?

Edited by jstep13