Rolling Thunder

George Kittle 2018 Outlook

11 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Didn't Barnidge break out under Shanny in Cleveland?  Too lazy to look right now. 

Regardless, I still believe that the way JG was developed in NE will have some carry over on the way he processes the field.   Jmo though.

What were TE targets per game when he took over?   I know RB targets plummeted.

No. Barnidge broke out the same season (2015) people were calling for Shanahan to get fired from ATL for "ruining" Matt Ryan. 

How quickly we forget. 

A lot of great fantasy seasons have been had by QBs, RBs and WRs under the offensive coordination of Kyle Shanahan:

Matt Ryan, the preseason #21 QB, finished the season as the #2 QB.

RG3 finished his rookie season as the #5 fantasy QB.

Brian Hoyer led the league with 17.3 yards per completion over the course of a season.

Alfred Morris rushed for 1600 yards and 13 TDs as a rookie.

Devonta Freeman posted 127 receptions, 3,180 combined yards and 27 total TDs over the course of two seasons--while sharing the backfield with another top-20 RB in Tevin Coleman.

Pierre Garcon was targeted 184 times and caught 113 passes en route to being the #8 PPR WR one season.

But so far, no such luck with TEs.

Kittle went undrafted in a 12 team auction tonight; I passed him over myself for Cameron Brate and Benjamin Watson for $1 each.  I'll have Kittle on the waiver wire speed dial, but as it stands now, it would take an injury to Brate or Watson for me to pick him up.

As capable as Kittle appears to be, the biggest obstacle to his usefulness for us is Celek.  Shanahan seems to like both of his guys rather equally.  It appears to me that Shanahan wants to use them equally.  It looks to be a TEBC at this point.  That kills any chance of Kittle becoming relevant, even in what is likely to be a decent offense.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 1

Actually John Defilippo was the OC in CLE in 2015 when Barnidge brokeout. The same guy who was QB coach on the Eagles last season and is now OC on the Minnesota Vikings. hmm...

• Like 2

Sounds like Kittle basically played the entire 2017 season hurt. 

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/116663-healthy-george-kittle-looking-forward-season-jimmy-garoppolo/

"I think George can be a very good tight end in this league," Shanahan said last week. "It's rare that you have a guy who is built to block very well who also runs in the 4.5s and who is quick enough to separate. I think George was a big part of our team last year. I think George played last year hurt almost the entire year. He was hurt a lot in training camp, too.

"We put a lot of pressure on George early because we needed to, and it was up and down throughout the year, but he never shied away. We always knew he was hurting, but for him to get away, clean his body up, get healthy, to come back and just watch how he moves right now, it just shows us how banged up he was."

Kittle spent much of the offseason building muscle mass and is looking forward to a healthy 2018 season. He had to deal with hamstring, calf, hip, chest, back, elbow, and ankle injuries as a rookie. The high-ankle injury was his most restricting during the season because it prevented him from properly planting his foot.

"I had ups and downs, obviously, throughout the season," Kittle said last week. "I think it's something that you just get used to yearly. It's also a lot different coming in as a rookie ... You're training the whole offseason. You don't really have any time off for your body to recover. I think that kind of led to it. I definitely wasn't feeling as good as I do now than I did last year. Feeling really good now, so I'm just really looking forward to being on the field healthy."

Tight ends coach Jon Embree believes a healthy Kittle will mean big things for the second-year player and the 49ers offense.

"His thing is staying healthy, as it is with a lot of players," Embree said. "I think if he's able to do that, everyone's going to be pleased what he brings to the table for us."

Kittle started to build a good relationship with new quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo on the football field last year, and he hopes that chemistry improves this season.

"We worked a lot this offseason, especially since we got back," Kittle said. "We got lucky. Jimmy got to play the last couple of games. So you got to start something there, got to get a baseline. And then just this past couple of weeks, it's been really fun to just be on the field with Jimmy, just grow with him, learn the offense with him, see what he likes because his coaching point on a route might be a little bit different than what's installed. Just being able to learn that type of stuff with him is really helpful."

• Like 1

You guys comfortable taking him as your te1? In mock drafts I been taking him and oj Howard. Chances are one of these guys breaks out in a big way 

49 minutes ago, ShowStopper said:

You guys comfortable taking him as your te1? In mock drafts I been taking him and oj Howard. Chances are one of these guys breaks out in a big way 

Those are my exact two TEs in dynasty.

4 hours ago, ShowStopper said:

- Kittle: Shanahan is not known for having TEs that produce a lot. He uses them heavily to block and distract (he even uses 3TE formations). I don't think Kittle will "break out"; I expect him to do slightly better than last season (because he is very talented).

- OJ Howard on the other hand has Cameron Brate in front of him, and that's a lot. But when Brate goes down (and let's face it, TEs break a lot), Howard is his replacement and Koetter does deliver high value TEs. Howard could definitely have a good second half of the season (if he doesn't break first, of course).

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

Kittle is basically a fall back for me if I don't manage to grab Reed.  

Any updates on this guy since his shoulder injury back in the preseason opener?  This could work to our advantage and lower his ADP a bit....he could also start the year with a sore shoulder and have a nagging injury throughout the year.    

5 minutes ago, SvanE42 said:

Any updates on this guy since his shoulder injury back in the preseason opener?  This could work to our advantage and lower his ADP a bit....he could also start the year with a sore shoulder and have a nagging injury throughout the year.    

As for an injury update all we've been told was Kittle's in bits. Nothing lengthy. Basically day to day. 

• Thanks 1

I find myself consistently waiting on TE in my mocks (and one actual draft) and it almost always comes down to Kittle vs. Reed vs. Howard vs. Doyle for me. I just know one of those guys is gonna be great and I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be the one I pick (that's how it always goes). But I'm also pretty sure Kittle has the least downside of all these guys, right? Reed has the injuries and Doyle and Howard have too much competition. If it weren't for Kittle's injury, is he the undisputed #1 TE in SF? Like, is someone using his time on the sideline to make a move? I don't want to draft Kittle and then have the Niners play it safe for awhile because so-and-so's performed well.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, Fierylady said:

I find myself consistently waiting on TE in my mocks (and one actual draft) and it almost always comes down to Kittle vs. Reed vs. Howard vs. Doyle for me. I just know one of those guys is gonna be great and I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be the one I pick (that's how it always goes). But I'm also pretty sure Kittle has the least downside of all these guys, right? Reed has the injuries and Doyle and Howard have too much competition. If it weren't for Kittle's injury, is he the undisputed #1 TE in SF? Like, is someone using his time on the sideline to make a move? I don't want to draft Kittle and then have the Niners play it safe for awhile because so-and-so's performed well.

Kittle's backup is Garrett Celek who is primarily a blocker and who's career high in catches is 29. I don't think we're going to see a Celek breakout at 30 years old. 

Harris with a pretty tepid endorsement of Kittle. Basically just said he's sort of talented and being drafted super late.

40 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Really think Kittle overachieves with jimmy G. Along his side. 

On 7/8/2018 at 8:18 AM, Boudewijn said:

- Kittle: Shanahan is not known for having TEs that produce a lot. He uses them heavily to block and distract (he even uses 3TE formations). I don't think Kittle will "break out"; I expect him to do slightly better than last season (because he is very talented).

I've not seen the pre-season games; did anyone see how SF used the TEs so far?

Does Mckinnon’s Injury benefit Kittle? Seems like the downs you’d use a pass catching back would also be plays you’d look to your TE, outside of the give up, 3rd and long, screens. 

• Like 1

Drafted Reed, wanted Kittle as my backup, but backed out and got Clay instead. I dunno.

3 hours ago, Mattmac0912 said:

I drafted this guy by accident I meant to pick Doyle. Does he really have potential

You wont regret your decision grasshopper.

• Like 1

I drafted Kittle because I missed out on Burton late. Anyone going to bite the bullet and start him against the Vikings? I might drop him to stream someone like ASJ and hope I can pick him back up.

Edited by purpdrankplaya