Rolling Thunder

George Kittle 2018 Outlook

Just now, devaster said:

I don't even have to start Kittle unless Gronk goes down or Gronk is on bye. I drafted Kittle as insurance or to trade.

I just think there is a strong argument to sell high on Kittle if the 49ers lose Jimmy G. It is worth considering.

He's not even on a "high" as you keep saying.  His season(3gms) has been full of missed opportunities, penalty negated plays and drops.  He has potential to be very good ROS, regardless of QB.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't even have to start Kittle unless Gronk goes down or Gronk is on bye. I drafted Kittle as insurance or to trade.

I just think there is a strong argument to sell high on Kittle if the 49ers lose Jimmy G. It is worth considering.

But how is that selling high?  It would seem that attempting to trade a TE immediately after his starting QB goes down would be selling low.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, devaster said:

I don’t think anyone is buying with Jimmy G going down, but after what Wayzupusc posted, I feel a hell of a lot better.  College roommates?  You know he’s gonna be targeted frequently.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

But how is that selling high?  It would seem that attempting to trade a TE immediately after his starting QB goes down would be selling low.

Depends how people view it. Look at others in here thinking he is a strong candidate ROS. Just something to consider. I probably can't sell him in my league anyway because no one ever trades.

For all the crap TE play so far this season, Kittle will probably give you the most value considering he was just drafted as a TE2 in most leagues.

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Kittle has been a lot more involved than I expected this season in Shanny's offense. I don't know how much of that is Jimmy G or Shanny coaching to his best players though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Maybe SF's horrible WR's will change things a bit

Maybe your optimism isn't really based on anything but hope?

25 minutes ago, devaster said:

You basically just made the case to buy low, not sell high

Kittle played very well yesterday.  He's a huge part of the game plan.  He moves well, looks strong, good hands, and gets open.

If not for a frankly B.S. OPI call in the 4th quarter, Kittle would have finished with 100 yards receiving, a touchdown, and a 2 pt conversion.

24 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

From the comments section of this article:

Mark: What might Shanahan do if we got him a TE like Bucky Hodges (Jimmy-Graham-receiver-type-TE) in the forthcoming draft?

By 49erFanSince1950 on 02.02.17 12:38pm

As someone else said in this comments, he’s great at adapting his scheme to his talent. So he’d probably figure out Hodges (or whoever he gets) in training camp and come up with a new play we haven’t seen before that fits him like a glove. Can’t really predict it any better than that though.

By Mark Saltveit on 02.02.17 12:43pm

Just now, Tommy Lee Jones said:

From the comments section of this article:

Mark: What might Shanahan do if we got him a TE like Bucky Hodges (Jimmy-Graham-receiver-type-TE) in the forthcoming draft?

By 49erFanSince1950 on 02.02.17 12:38pm

As someone else said in this comments, he’s great at adapting his scheme to his talent. So he’d probably figure out Hodges (or whoever he gets) in training camp and come up with a new play we haven’t seen before that fits him like a glove. Can’t really predict it any better than that though.

By Mark Saltveit on 02.02.17 12:43pm

Sure, but the argument Pooskay was making is that a TE in Shanahan offenses always gets a lot of targets, and I countered that.

Is Shanahan a smart coach and does he adapt to his weapons? I certainly would think so.

Do not drop guys, not yet at least. You're all acting like Kittle is a WR where there's plenty of pickings on the wire. I don't know about other league's but in my the TE spot is bone dry.

Just now, RoseLin23 said:

Do not drop guys, not yet at least. You're all acting like Kittle is a WR where there's plenty of pickings on the wire. I don't know about other league's but in my the TE spot is bone dry.

Same here. My league carries two TE for no good reason. If someone dropped Kittle it would be a blessing.

• Haha 1

He does not seem too worried that Jimmy G is out and Beathard will be starting. In fact the opposite, he seems a little excited that CJ is starting and don’t forget, CJ only throw in that game was to Kittle for a TD, granted it was called back due to OPI. But I think his prospect got better and not worse. 

The story last year was that the college hommies would have a good connection but in the games CJ started last season Kittle didn't do much.  I've gotta let him ride the pine this week for Rudloph but I'm hopefull Kittle will remain an integral part of the O.

We benching him this week? LAC defense + Garoppolo out doesn’t bode well for his value.

Wait and see week.  Especially v. Chargers.  They are stuffing opposing TEs.

I'm starting him, mostly because I'm not carrying any other TEs. At this point I feel like he's as good of a start as any of the other sub-top-3 TE dart throws out there. If your TE isn't named Gronk, Kelce, or Ertz you're basically just hoping for a couple yards and praying for a TD every week. 

• Like 2

i don't feel confident about starting him and i just traded for him prior to jimmy g. however i think i can take wait and see approach for about 2 games. hoping just combination of bad luck, drops, and hoping for connection with CJ. the TE pool is a crapshoot but there are some decent options like eiffert.

Someone is going to catch passes from CJB. Kittle is as good a guess as any - I think he is a start for sure this week. TE is the security blanket - the first one looked to by a replacement QB.

If he is completely left out of the game plan after tomorrow I'll reassess but he's a go tomorrow imo.

• Like 1

Kittle and CJ are from the same draft class and played together in college out of any players on SF, Kittle and Breida are the safiest to play

17 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Wait and see week.  Especially v. Chargers.  They are stuffing opposing TEs.

Exactly right and good to know.

Hold and stream someone else if you can. 

I don't understand the allergy to rostering 2 TEs, especially in a season when almost no one has a true "set and forget" TE.