Sign in to follow this  
Bandito

What to do with Hoskins?

My team and league info for those on mobile:

Shallow 8 team Roto 7x7  Re-draft     (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, XBH, PA  /  W, Sv, K ERA, QS, IP, GIDP)     1450 max IP

C- Grandal,     1B-  Belt (1B/OF),      2B-  Rizzo (1B/2B),     SS-Turner,    3B- Shaw,     MI-  Baez (2B/SS/CI)   

CI-  Bellinger (1B/OF),       (3)- Judge,   Brantley    Soto     U-   Gennett (2B/3B/OF)

bench-   Hoskins (1B/OF),     Acuna,       Donaldson,     Mazara,      Pham,

SP-   Syndergaard,      Corbin,        Snell,        Buehler   

RP-   Jansen,     Knebel,      Diaz,     Familia,                                                                     DL-     Bumgarner,   Kershaw

Does there come a time in a shallow league where I may have to consider Hoskins cuttable?  He's been ranked 300+ for over a  month now and is doing nothing.  He's one of the reasons I've fallen behind in about all offensive categories, forcing me to (luckily) ride hot hands like Gennett/Brantley/Mazara.  And very soon I'll be facing some hard cuts as Kershaw and Bumgarner return.

I'm not sure at what point I have to throw draft capital out the window and just roll with production wherever it's coming from.  The team in first pretty quickly started benching his guys for FA pickups and he's built a (probably) insurmountable 25 point lead already.

Thoughts?

Stay with Hoskins.  Looks like you have time to get a read on Soto before Bumgarner comes back. Soto may be your drop. Or use him as a trade chip to get a better starter.

Help

Keep hoskins for the time being and re evaluate in a few weeks. If hes still performing at the same level halfway through the season I'd drop him. 

I have the same problem. I've been riding him on my bench for a week now since I picked up Aguilar. I'm afraid to drop him because of his upside but he's been useless the last couple weeks.

Sounds like the same scenario as myself in my 8 team league. Also have an owner in my league who doesn't bother riding out slumps, just cuts for the hot bats and is always in the top 1-2 spots. 

In my case Betts/Acuna banged up I need FA help and Hoskins is getting hard to be patient with. On my team I don't rely on him with better options, but it's getting hard to justify in a small redraft league continuing to hold him and getting just about zero production. Like you I also have Soto who some have dropped, but think you need to give him longer than a week to see what he'll do, and he is @BAL coming up I'd imagine he'll do ok for himself.  Not like Soto has been bad his first week up anyways. Anyhow I'm likely dropping Hoskins as there are quite a few good players that will help me more, guess it depends who you have in your FA's if it's worth dropping now or giving him a little more time. He could certainly get going and have an ok 2018, but I think the lofty expectations some had going into the season he won't quite live up too this year. 

Who's available on your WW/FA? Personally, I'd hold on to him for the time being with a bench spot. In a shallow 8 team league, after another couple weeks of underachieving, I don't think there's anything wrong dropping him for hotter hitters.

Thanks for your help with mine!

Thanks for the help in my thread. I would try to package him in a 2 on 1 trade, if you can’t acquire anyone of use them drop him. I always saw him as another Chris Davis/Mark Trumbo type.

Keep cheese steaks he stays on you're team, and you're team only! 

I have Hoskins on my 8-team league. I'm just keeping him on the bench until he starts hitting, and I'm confident he'll turn it on eventually. He's not dropable. If you need to make room, do a 2 for 1 trade