ajs723

Jamison Crowder 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

That's just not true, as anyone who watched WAS last Thanksgiving can attest. 

The stats on all the WRs say average or below average.  Any or all of them have had good games, but I don’t play Best Ball.  All the WRs are WR4s who are start-able in good matchups.

At this point we can’t determine if any will develop chemistry with Smith and stand out.  We’ll have to wait for the preseason for that...

But none are clear WR1s.  Smith might very well spread the ball around equally...   If the highest WR in catches is 60-70 (my projection) this is a boring group.

Richardson stats are at least ascending...

I’d rather take Agholor with a late pick, and keep an eye on the situation in Washington.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:19 PM, seanismorris said:

The stats on all the WRs say average or below average.  Any or all of them have had good games, but I don’t play Best Ball.  All the WRs are WR4s who are start-able in good matchups.

At this point we can’t determine if any will develop chemistry with Smith and stand out.  We’ll have to wait for the preseason for that...

But none are clear WR1s.  Smith might very well spread the ball around equally...   If the highest WR in catches is 60-70 (my projection) this is a boring group.

Richardson stats are at least ascending...

I’d rather take Agholor with a late pick, and keep an eye on the situation in Washington.

Agholor has a lot of risks as well especially if you are worried about the QB spreading the ball around.

Thing is with Smith, if he finds early success and chemistry with Crowder I will rather have Crowder.... no questions asked.

If Crowders ADP stays 100+ in standard format I'm likely going to draft him again, and this time his value will be much more reasonable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Nate said:

Agholor has a lot of risks as well especially if you are worried about the QB spreading the ball around.

Thing is with Smith, if he finds early success and chemistry with Crowder I will rather have Crowder.... no questions asked.

If Crowders ADP stays 100+ in standard format I'm likely going to draft him again, and this time his value will be much more reasonable.  

For most people it’s going to come down to which player burned you in the past.  I was high on Crowder last year and I dropped him 1/3 of the way through the season...

I’m also higher on Wentz than Smith.  Besides last year, Smith hasn’t given many fantasy winners at receiver.  

I’m biased against the Washington organization in general.

I admit Crowder has slipped into extreme value at 100+ but I’ll still look elsewhere. 

NBC Washington's Rich Tandler reports Jamison Crowder and Alex Smith displayed a very good rapport during Redskins OTAs.

Tandler adds that "Smith was very comfortable firing the ball in to Crowder during goal line work." Crowder was a hype sensation at this time last summer, but things got off to a real rocky start as he failed to top 50 yards in five of the first six games and also missed time with injury. Crowder went for 70-plus yards, including 123- and 141-yard efforts, Weeks 8-12 while nabbing all three of his touchdowns the final six weeks. Crowder's short-to-intermediate route tree meshes well with Smith's pass-game tendencies. We were maybe a year early on Crowder.

All-Aboard1.jpg
  • Like 1

Fun fact: one of the only Redskins who ever kneeled for the anthem and Snyder hates him. He's still probably going to be the best WR on the team, 75 catches for 1000ish yards and 6 TDs seems reasonable. If other guys like Thompson and Reed get injured he could do more if he stays healthy, but I doubt it.

Edited by zorndogs

On 6/7/2018 at 12:46 AM, zorndogs said:

"Fun fact: one of the only Redskins who ever kneeled for the anthem and Snyder hates him. He's still probably going to be the best WR on the team, 75 catches for 1000ish yards and 6 TDs seems reasonable. If other guys like Thompson and Reed get injured he could do more if he stays healthy, but I doubt it."

I'm not aware of any mandate to stand nor was Crowder the only one to kneel, he was among a number of their WRs & Reed. He is in a contract year & Trey Quinn has impressed so far. There's no real indication either way, but I wonder now whether they move on from him? Could be that Crowder may be best gauged with whether the team wins. If after 10 games they've only won 3 or 4 of them, especially within the division, Quinn may benefit. Doesn't mean Crowder gets benched or anything, just that teams do this. When they're playing meaningless games, they tend to see what they have in their younger players. 

• Like 1

He wasnt healthy last preseason and he never quite got it going until well after people were trying to sell him as a bust. I expect him to be a solid wr2 this season with Smith as the QB

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dashoe said:

He wasnt healthy last preseason and he never quite got it going until well after people were trying to sell him as a bust. I expect him to be a solid wr2 this season with Smith as the QB

That's pretty optimistic. 

I've recently got on board with drafting him. Not sure he'll be in the top 25 when the season ends though. 

I would not, in any format outside of 20 or more teams, want to be drafting Jamison Crowder to be a starting WR for my fantasy team--well, maybe as a flex starter, if you're already starting 3 WRs in a 16 team league.  I'm thinking something like Dwayne Bowe with Alex Smith in 2013 and 2014--he has those encouraging 60, 70 yard games with a TD five or six times a year--sometimes even in back to back weeks--and then he has 35 yards or less five or six times too, so he ends up with 750-800 yards and 5-6 TDs.

Now granted, that's probably more floor than ceiling, but I would feel like I was setting you up for disappointment if I promised you any more out of Jamison Crowder this year--but here's the little secret I WILL disclose:  when it comes to picking your WR5 in a PPR league, Crowder offers a LOT of value, and here's why...

1.  He has a WAY early bye week.  Unless all of your other WRs are from Washington and Carolina, Crowder will be there for you when your studs are on vakay.

2.  Not only that, but he has some SWEET matchups in the bye weeks of the top studs:

.....a.  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers allowed the second-most receiving yardage in 2017; they host Washington in Week 10 (bye week of DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen and Demaryius Thomas).

.....b.  The New York Giants allowed the third-most receiving yardage in 2017; they host Washington in Week 8 (bye week of Julio Jones and Keenan Allen).

.....c.  The Carolina Panthers allowed the 11th-most receiving yardage in 2017; they travel to Washington in Week 6 (bye week of Michael Thomas and Golden Tate).

.....d.  Drafted Julian Edelman and might need to cover him by committee early in the season?

..........i.  The Indianapolis Colts allowed the fifth-most receiving yardage in 2017; they travel to Washington in Week 2.

..........ii. The Green Bay Packers allowed the ninth-most receiving yardage in 2017; they travel to Washington in Week 3.

So if I had to guess, those are going to be the weeks that Crowder is most likely to look like a credible starting WR--and it's exactly when you need him.  If you need him much more than that, I feel for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So his numbers from '16 and '17 were pretty much unchanged, though his opportunity arguably improved.  Why will this change now?

Edited by dogfightgiggle

18 hours ago, dashoe said:

"He wasn't healthy last preseason and he never quite got it going until well after people were trying to sell him as a bust. I expect him to be a solid wr2 this season with Smith as the QB."

Fair to assume, you didn't own this player. I doubt former owners recall this being the circumstance, I certainly don't. Here's his fantasypros blurb, less than a week ago:

"After getting off to a slow start last season that seemed to be due to injury, Crowder heated up down the stretch..." https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/players/jamison-crowder.php

So even now, any honest depiction doesn't express any degree of certainty with respect to what happened. You can restate what's said now, in hindsight, but that isn't what was in the literature then! But that's all before, going forward is it still mostly disinformation or angel white stuff? He was recently quoted as saying he's open to an extension... why isn't he getting it? I'm biased against this player, plain & simple. He's a talented player & things have started well with Alex Smith. If he's a value guy I'd probably draft him again, but not anywhere that would suggest expectation. `  

1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

Fair to assume, you didn't own this player. I doubt former owners recall this being the circumstance, I certainly don't. Here's his fantasypros blurb, less than a week ago:

So even now, any honest depiction doesn't express any degree of certainty with respect to what happened. You can restate what's said now, in hindsight, but that isn't what was in the literature then! But that's all before, going forward is it still mostly disinformation or angel white stuff? He was recently quoted as saying he's open to an extension... why isn't he getting it? I'm biased against this player, plain & simple. He's a talented player & things have started well with Alex Smith. If he's a value guy I'd probably draft him again, but not anywhere that would suggest expectation. `  

I didn't have to own him. I targeted him preseason because i thought he was a better value than Pryor, I  avoided him in the draft because of his preseason injuries. I don't draft unhealthy players.  I always had a standing bid for him into the owner early season as he wasnt doing squat and was considered a draft bust. i lost interest as my waiver picks started to pay off(Funchess/Lee/Goodwin). So tha't my story and I'm sticking to it.:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markrc99 said:

I owned him in 6 leagues, and he was certainly injured before week 1 (hip flexor, I believe). He was garbage the first half of the FFL regular season, then he was a top-15 PPR WR the rest of the way.

Most owners didn't survive his horrid first half and so didn't benefit from his resurgence. Big reason he's not getting more love right now. 

• Like 2

He's a target for me in PPR Leagues. Don't know why... sometimes you gotta trust the gut I guess.

Plus, Alex Smith, lots of short passes.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

"I owned him in 6 leagues, and he was certainly injured before week 1 (hip flexor, I believe). He was garbage the first half of the FFL regular season, then he was a top-15 PPR WR the rest of the way. Most owners didn't survive his horrid first half and so didn't benefit from his resurgence. Big reason he's not getting more love right now." 

In mid-August Crowder had sat out several practices but then reportedly looked good & played in their 2nd & 3rd preseason games. He was then deemed fully healthy & in most leagues I had already drafted him. It was also at about this time insider Rich Tandler reported that he had become the #2 passing option. He's the one saying now that Crowder is connecting with Smith... They did list him as questionable for week 1 but he said he was surprised by that and that he felt good. As things proceeded there were also reports of Chris Thompson overshadowing him & then later, Ryan Grant taking snaps from him. I didn't correlate him being listed as key for him being a complete bust, but he was.  

As for the counter-argument at the time, I recall it centering around how great Terrelle Pryor was going to be, not that Crowder was so hobbled that he wouldn't be effective. I accept that I'm not going to read every player correctly and Crowder is of them for me. He was hot at about this time last year, so I wasn't alone. Gotta let it roll off. It's when you're wrong & the only one, that's when you need to stop stepping on the cracks in the sidewalk! e;  

A lot of owners make the mistake of not drafting a player that burned them last year. It's costly.

4 hours ago, ponza88 said:

"A lot of owners make the mistake of not drafting a player that burned them last year. It's costly."

In fact I will draft Andrew Luck again, even perhaps Cam Meredith & Samaje Perine. They're different, but not in the sense that I care about. I realize that what happened last year may not occur this year. Perhaps it was just me but I couldn't get a bead on Crowder at all. Although Alf makes an excellent case for him, where he's coming off is when I'm most apt to consider QB & TE. I think Reed & Thompson will again be major factors in the short game, barring injury, but the running game & play on the perimeter will improve. I think Alex Smith is going to do well. Then there's Trey Quinn, a nobody. Looking into Gruden's philosophy, I've never read or seen him comment on the use of option routes, which he did when commenting on Quinn. This team has some stallions up front on both sides of the ball. If this group stays healthy, watch out.       

• Like 1

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36718/crowder-smith-should-form-productive-combination-for-redskins

And in one spring, Smith already seemed to develop a trust in his slot receiver. The Redskins have other targets who pleased Smith -- and he still hasn’t worked with tight end Jordan Reed. That won’t happen until some point in training camp as Reed recovers from toe surgeries.

But Crowder is the most proven of the wide receivers, with three consecutive 60-plus catch seasons as he enters his fourth year. There’s a reason Smith smiles when asked about Crowder, a guy he clearly clicked with this spring.

“Super talented,” Smith said. “Such great feel. Such great instincts. Such great vision.”

It’s a mutual admiration, too.

“He knows the game, he knows how to see defenses, see different coverages,” Crowder said. “By him having that experience, he knows how to put the ball in the right place. ... You can already see that we can do a lot of great things as a unit.”

Another fact worth noting: In the past five years, Smith owns a combined 102.8 quarterback rating when targeting slot receivers. That’s third best in the NFL over that time for quarterbacks who have made at least 30 starts, trailing only Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. Smith owns the ninth-most completions to slot receivers in that period.

But what Smith likes can be boiled down to one word: trust.

“He’s so easy to read as a quarterback,” Smith said. “Such great body control, body language. He sees defenses well and it’s hardest to do that in between the hashes. You get so many looks and leverages and you have to handle all those things. He’s decisive and he’s so friendly. He’s always coming back to the ball, always working for you. Those are things you know as a quarterback come crunch time that here’s a guy who will constantly work his tail off to get open. He wants the ball. You love that as a quarterback.”

Crowder’s contract expires after the season, making this a pivotal one for him. But he’s also coming off a year in which he was plagued by hamstring issues. To help, he returned to Duke University this offseason and worked out the way he had when he played for the Blue Devils. He said he focused on his entire body, but he also did more power cleans and hang cleans.

“When I was at Duke, I didn’t have hamstring issues, maybe one or two, so I went back and did more dynamic lifts that I did in college,” he said. “I feel great now ... It was frustrating [last year]. When you go out there with a lingering injury, you’re already setting yourself behind.”

Running back Chris Thompson said Crowder looked more explosive and kept up with him when running sprints in a way he hadn’t in the past. Others have noticed it, too.

• Like 4

AH YEAH.

2 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Running back Chris Thompson said Crowder looked more explosive and kept up with him when running sprints in a way he hadn’t in the past. Others have noticed it, too.

Chris Thompson is sprinting? I thought he was still recovering. Good news all around in that article. 

Crowder is in motion, but whether or not he's moving forward remains to be seen.

In my notebook appear these words: sell high. ish.

gjuke.0.gif

I want Crowder on all my teams this year.  Only problem now is with the explosion of fantasy football coverage, everybody in your league will know all the positive reports coming out of camp on him as well, unless you have some dinosaurs still using the fantasy football magazine printed in May that you buy at the supermarket.

I remember when Rotoworld used to be my "secret" source of information.  For some reason, I felt like nobody in my league knew about it.  Now they've gone mainstream everybody is on to it and reading the same reports.

Crowder's ADP is sure to rise up until drafts this fall.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I remember when Rotoworld used to be my "secret" source of information.  For some reason, I felt like nobody in my league knew about it.  Now they've gone mainstream everybody is on to it and reading the same reports.

Take the sob story to the brokenhearted thread.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I want Crowder on all my teams this year.  [...] Crowder's ADP is sure to rise up until drafts this fall.

At this point, Crowder's rise has him going ahead of CThompson, Guice, Doctson, PRichardson, and Reed.

It is difficult to believe that Crowder will be the top scoring player in Washington.

6 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Take the sob story to the brokenhearted thread.

At this point, Crowder's rise has him going ahead of CThompson, Guice, Doctson, PRichardson, and Reed.

It is difficult to believe that Crowder will be the top scoring player in Washington.

Only if you expect Jordan Reed to play 16 games. 

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Only if you expect Jordan Reed to play 16 games.

No one expects that, not even Reed himself.  More likely 6 than 16.