ajs723

Jamison Crowder 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

16 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Take the sob story to the brokenhearted thread.

At this point, Crowder's rise has him going ahead of CThompson, Guice, Doctson, PRichardson, and Reed.

It is difficult to believe that Crowder will be the top scoring player in Washington.

Sob story?  Why the animosity?  Merely pointing out that there is no such thing as sleepers anymore with the abundance of information.

Crowder outpointed all those guys last year.  Why wouldn't you expect even better results with a QB who favors the short to intermediate field?

6 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

No one expects that, not even Reed himself.  More likely 6 than 16.

Which is why Crowder should lead WAS passcatchers in PPR points. 

13 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

No one expects that, not even Reed himself.  More likely 6 than 16.

Reed is a good bet to play 10+ games this season IMO.

Edited by joshua18

14 minutes ago, CooL said:

Sob story?  Why the animosity?  Merely pointing out that there is no such thing as sleepers anymore with the abundance of information.

My bad. And my apologies.

14 minutes ago, CooL said:

Crowder outpointed all those guys last year.  Why wouldn't you expect even better results with a QB who favors the short to intermediate field?

The reason I'm not down with Crowder is because Alex Smith is mistakenly represented as a QB who favors the intermediate field. Consider this article by Matt Harmon: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921980/printable/alex-smith-matthew-stafford-head-top-deepball-throwers-of-17 I like the varied angles Harmon takes in deriving his conclusion.

Alex Smith landed at 1st place on Harmon's deep-ball-passers. From what we've seen of Crowder, that's not his positioning. I like the Reed + Smith tandem, and I like the CThompson + Smith tandem, and I imagine Crowder will do just fine. But I also see either Doctson or Richardson emerging. (Note: Harmon also has a deep-ball-threat for WRs, and one of Washington's WRs is on the list... and it's not Crowder.) If Crowder outscores Doctson or Richardson---entirely possible---it'll be because neither emerged and Smith uses both. But I don't see Crowder being the man, and in many cases we might see Smith scrambling instead of force-fitting it to Crowder. Smith ran 60 times last year, despite being 33. My two cents. Just wary as we see Crowder's ADP rising.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Reed is a good bet to play 10+ games this season IMO.

My wish. I've been drafting him all over the place as he's essentially "free".

I supposed everything on Reed's been repaired already, so he's in "like new" condition.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

My bad. And my apologies.

The reason I'm not down with Crowder is because Alex Smith is mistakenly represented as a QB who favors the intermediate field. Consider this article by Matt Harmon: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921980/printable/alex-smith-matthew-stafford-head-top-deepball-throwers-of-17 I like the varied angles Harmon takes in deriving his conclusion.

Alex Smith landed at 1st place on Harmon's deep-ball-passers. From what we've seen of Crowder, that's not his positioning. I like the Reed + Smith tandem, and I like the CThompson + Smith tandem, and I imagine Crowder will do just fine. But I also see either Doctson or Richardson emerging. (Note: Harmon also has a deep-ball-threat for WRs, and one of Washington's WRs is on the list... and it's not Crowder.) If Crowder outscores Doctson or Richardson---entirely possible---it'll be because neither emerged and Smith uses both. But I don't see Crowder being the man, and in many cases we might see Smith scrambling instead of force-fitting it to Crowder. Smith ran 60 times last year, despite being 33. My two cents. Just wary as we see Crowder's ADP rising.

Agreed.  I was surprised to see that Alex Smith was a good deep ball passer, because that's just not simply what you think of when considering this game manager.  At first I thought, oh, he dumped the ball to Tyreek Hill over the middle and Hill raced to the end zone with it.  But the definition is the pass traveled 20 yards in the air and doesn't include YAC.

Not sold on Richardson and can't believe the contract he got from them.  He'll be the field stretcher and will occasionally pop off I'm sure.  Remains to be seen if Doctson puts it together.  Flashes of potential with acrobatic catches last year.  But hasn't really emerged yet.  It's still early of course, but the reports of Smith and Crowder having a good connection in OTAs is encouraging.  Crowder's PPR ADP is 99, so 8th round in 12 or 14 team leagues.  Others going around him are Cobb, Kupp, Robby Anderson, Devante Parker, and Marquise Goodwin.  I think I like Crowder over all of those guys.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

My wish. I've been drafting him all over the place as he's essentially "free".

I supposed everything on Reed's been repaired already, so he's in "like new" condition.

So you're ok buying refurbished...

Crowder is my favorite upside pick right now. 

Did 2 standard drafts on FF calculator and got him in the 9th and 10th. That’s insane 

I'd rather stab myself in the foot then get back on this train. 

He killed me last year. 

No heart. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

I'd rather stab myself in the foot then get back on this train. 

He killed me last year. 

No heart. 

Clearly you dropped him midseason. That's a butthurt comment.

• Like 1

Richardson, doctson...ok

Aww.. Jordy Reed...one more hit & he's nursing home bound getting his veges blended. 

Love me some Jay Crowder this yr. Alex Smith loves him as well. 

That adp is ohh so lovely. 

AND..He's playing for that chedda

Edited by Whitecloud0101

I just did another FantasyFootballCalculator standard draft and got him again in the 10th. 

Saw this thread again and it got me thinking: can we please shut this thread down until December?

Crowder burned me badly last year (12 person PPR) but he’s an extreme value by ADP.

I might have to draft him again and hope for the best.  

Alex Smith has limited weapons to throw to, so I’m figuring 125+ targets for Crowder.

Crowders upside is Golden Tate.

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

Alex Smith has limited weapons to throw to, so I’m figuring 125+ targets for Crowder.

Crowders upside is Golden Tate.

Perfect assessment but quicker than Tate. Doctson has shown nothing special & if Reed plays 8 games I’ll be amazed. Accurate mid-range passer to a quick slot receiver? Sign me up. He’ll be an excellent WR3 with some WR2 week’s mixed in

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dogfightgiggle said:

Wake me up when those hammies shred.  Trey Quinn is better.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2018 at 4:01 PM, cohenstantinople said:

"The reason I'm not down with Crowder is because Alex Smith is mistakenly represented as a QB who favors the intermediate field. ... Alex Smith landed at 1st place on Harmon's deep-ball-passers. From what we've seen of Crowder, that's not his positioning. I like the Reed + Smith tandem, and I like the CThompson + Smith tandem, and I imagine Crowder will do just fine. But I also see either Doctson or Richardson emerging. (Note: Harmon also has a deep-ball-threat for WRs, and one of Washington's WRs is on the list... and it's not Crowder.) If Crowder outscores Doctson or Richardson---entirely possible---it'll be because neither emerged and Smith uses both. But I don't see Crowder being the man, and in many cases we might see Smith scrambling instead of force-fitting it to Crowder. Smith ran 60 times last year, despite being 33. My two cents. Just wary as we see Crowder's ADP rising."

According to some, Crowder's latter half production was health-related and perhaps that's true, but it also coincided with Reed & Thompson not being there. The production they got on the perimeter had to be near the bottom and the likelihood there's a commitment to improve in that area, high. They also have to run the football better, which hasn't happened during Gruden's tenure. Yesterday there was an article pointing out that the Redskins had 36 different lineup changes along the OL last year. 

With Guice, if that OL can avoid injury I think the chances of an improved ground game are very good. Which always helps to open up the perimeter. Another variable that's not being considered is Smith reconnecting with Vernon Davis. Totally agree with the main point of the article about Smith. Until we know why he didn't go downfield as often, it's a mistake to assume he lacks the confidence or ability. The question I have is; does the return of the other short zone options & a better run game help or hurt Crowder? I tend to target what I perceive as high upside in the later rounds. Doctson can be obtained even later than Crowder & has the better chance to break, imo.  

My experience owning Crowder was that there was a complete lack of accurate information. Not just when he was hyped to go off, but more so when he shouldn't even have been in my lineup. To this point I'm not so sure anything's changed. When they write $h!+ like; oh, perhaps we were a year too early on Jamison Crowder, WTF is that suppose to mean? That's just vague conjecture, it's garbage. That Crowder is building a rapport with Alex Smith is positive & factual, but more so than Jordan Reed or Chris Thompson? Not to suggest that Trey Quinn is taking Crowder's job anytime soon but they really like what they've seen from him & Doctson for that matter. Linked to your point is the notion that Smith naturally defaults to high percentage throws in the short zone, won't even look downfield. It seems to have potential owners thinking that it would be Reed, but since he can't stay healthy, Jamison Crowder is going to become the main weapon in that passing attack. Could be, but I think he remains more of a cog.

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

According to some, Crowder's latter half production was health-related and perhaps that's true, but it also coincided with Reed & Thompson not being there. The production they got on the perimeter had to be near the bottom and the likelihood there's a commitment to improve in that area, high. They also have to run the football better, which hasn't happened during Gruden's tenure. Yesterday there was an article pointing out that the Redskins had 36 different lineup changes along the OL last year. 

With Guice, if that OL can avoid injury I think the chances of an improved ground game are very good. Which always helps to open up the perimeter. Another variable that's not being considered is Smith reconnecting with Vernon Davis. Totally agree with the main point of the article about Smith. Until we know why he didn't go downfield as often, it's a mistake to assume he lacks the confidence or ability. The question I have is; does the return of the other short zone options & a better run game help or hurt Crowder? I tend to target what I perceive as high upside in the later rounds. Doctson can be obtained even later than Crowder & has the better chance to break, imo.  

My experience owning Crowder was that there was a complete lack of accurate information. Not just when he was hyped to go off, but more so when he shouldn't even have been in my lineup. To this point I'm not so sure anything's changed. When they write $h!+ like; oh, perhaps we were a year too early on Jamison Crowder, WTF is that suppose to mean? That's just vague conjecture, it's garbage. That Crowder is building a rapport with Alex Smith is positive & factual, but more so than Jordan Reed or Chris Thompson? Not to suggest that Trey Quinn is taking Crowder's job anytime soon but they really like what they've seen from him & Doctson for that matter. Linked to your point is the notion that Smith naturally defaults to high percentage throws in the short zone, won't even look downfield. It seems to have potential owners thinking that it would be Reed, but since he can't stay healthy, Jamison Crowder is going to become the main weapon in that passing attack. Could be, be I think he remains more of a cog.

Washington players I would draft, in order of preference according to their current ADP:

Doctson (double digits, $1 in auction)

Guice (seen him up and down, but not overtly expensive)

Reed (as low as Doctson, mostly)

Smith (same price as Doctson)

Richardson (same, even undrafted)

CThompson (often too high for me in PPR, some unknowns with Guice)

Crowder (costly in PPR, would rather take one of the “free” players above)

With the additions of Smith, Richardson, and Guice—and to a lesser extent the release of Pryor and hints of emergence from Doctson last season—I read this offense as relatively “new,” and unknown, and someone (or someones) will emerge. Seems best to 1) choose the guys you like based on the talent you perceive, and 2) temper this with market price.

• Like 2

It’s also abundantly clear that Smith likes throwing to Jamison Crowder. Throughout the last half of practice, the team scrimmaged and used the length of the field. Right before breaking, Smith connected with Crowder three consecutive times for about 10 yards on each pass, before connecting with Josh Doctson to complete the day. Earlier in practice, Smith hustled over to Doctson to encourage him after the two completed a crossing route on third down. One of Smith’s characteristics is his supportive nature on just about every completion, and Crowder mentioned Friday that he appreciates his leadership style in the huddle, where he persistently gives praise and reminds everyone to stay sharp.

• Like 3

In standard non-ppr league I have trouble seeing him having much value. Realistically to get him over 1000+ yards he'd need at least 90 receptions which would take something like 130 targets at his career catch rate of 69%. 

With Reed & Thompson back, the addition of Richardson Jr., and Doctson still there I don't seem him getting to that number of targets.  

Anyone hear any recent news about his groin injury?  I saw last week he didn't play in the pre-season game because he was battling a groin injury.  Any recent updates?  Is he practicing?  I can't find anything.  

Yes he's been back practicing.  

Jamison Crowder did not play in the Redskins' third preseason game.
Crowder earned praise early in camp for his work with Alex Smith, but he suffered a groin injury which held him out of the first three preseason games. He did return to practice this week, suggesting he will be back for Week 1, but the missed time is still a concern. Crowder is shaping up as a borderline WR3 in PPR formats. Aug 24 - 9:12 PM
  • Thanks 1

He’ll get in a couple limited practices early next week then be full by Thursday and good to go for sunday. 

With alex smith at the helm i fully expect 13 receptions for 36 yards. 

• Like 1