smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

5 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Morgan is not the closer.

Line shows Siranthony w/ 2 ER but his first baserunner was thrown out at home for the 2nd out.  I think that ER goes to Morgan..

That's not how earned runs work.  Just because it was "your runner" doesn't mean you're off the hook if he's forced out (wouldn't be fair to the guy following him).  You have to replay the inning for the reliever who comes in and only assign runs to him that he created.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Who's next in line Neris or Ramos after Morgan

The correct answer is...nobody.  Dominguez is probably the favorite to have the most saves by the end of the year but no one reliever seems to be the closer right now.  If three righties were coming up instead of two switch-hitters and a lefty it probably would've been Ramos instead of Morgan tonight.  If Dominguez hadn't faltered at the beginning of the 9th they probably would've let him finish it.  Since they like Neris against lefties, he might get the chance next time they need to get some lefties out in a key spot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

How is it that 2 ER given to sir Anthony? He let in schwarber and almora, then schwarber was out at home, Morgan let in the rest

I found the answer in Rule 10.18 (g) and the interpretation is correct:

10.18 (g) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the relief pitcher shall not be charged with any run (earned or unearned) scored by a runner who was on base at the time he entered the game, nor for runs scored by any runner who reaches base on a fielder's choice which puts out a runner left on base by the preceding pitcher.

NOTE: It is the intent of this rule to charge each pitcher with the number of runners he put on base, rather than with the individual runners. When a pitcher puts runners on base, and is relieved, he shall be charged with all runs subsequently scored up to and including the number of runners he left on base when he left the game, unless such runners are put out without action by the batter, i.e., caught stealing, picked off base, or called out for interference when a batter runner does not reach first base on the play.

Found this online.

Edited by ToO_BaD
  • Thanks 1

Basically, from what I’ve read online I interpret it this way:  in a FC situation, the player who reaches will be charged to the original pitcher because it is believed that, had the original pitcher not allowed the person thrown out on base, the batter would have been thrown out as there would have been no need for a FC.

Did you not even read my reply? ;)

I learned how to scorekeep from a young age, any and all questions can be directed toward me.

4 minutes ago, overkill94 said:

Did you not even read my reply? ;)

I learned how to scorekeep from a young age, any and all questions can be directed toward me.

Sorry, missed it because you quoted the wrong person:P, but I guess that rule seems fair

Ha, whoops.  I was responding to the guy who did all the research instead of just reading my post, not you :)

Edited by overkill94
Confusion
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, overkill94 said:

Ha, whoops.  I was responding to the guy who did all the research instead of just reading my post, not you :)

Lol I needed something to do.  And like other RW posters, hate reading back lol.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, overkill94 said:

That's not how earned runs work.  Just because it was "your runner" doesn't mean you're off the hook if he's forced out (wouldn't be fair to the guy following him).  You have to replay the inning for the reliever who comes in and only assign runs to him that he created.

wow.  Learn something new everyday. 

So Schwarber was walked and Almora recorded a hit against Siranthony. 

Then Morgan came in and walked Happ and Zobrist reached on a FC & Schwarber was called out at home.  

So in this situation, once Heyward hit the GS, was Almora and Zobrist charged to Siranthony? or is it Almora and the next runner up, Happ?  

Doesn't really matter as far as the line goes, just curious how the mechanics of the scoring works.

thx!

Sir's runners count against him unless they're erased on a double play, pick-off, thrown out at home, whatever.  If his baserunners get out in a way where the hitter would've gotten out anyway (i.e. a fielder's choice) then the replacement runner should still be considered Sir's responsibility.

If you replay the inning from Morgan's perspective, he allowed a walk, a force out, and a home run.  He's responsible for the homer (of course) as well as the result of the walk/FC so he gets 2 earned runs of his own.

Morgan grooved the ball right down the middle of the plate to Heyward who was 0-4 on the night until his grand slam.  Why the hell was Morgan pitching in the ninth? In his last two outings he had given up 2 hits on 5/28 and 2 hits on 6/2 (without recording an out) and his breaking ball was garbage tonight.  Was no one else available to pitch for Phily?

17 minutes ago, Southcoast57 said:

Morgan grooved the ball right down the middle of the plate to Heyward who was 0-4 on the night until his grand slam.  Why the hell was Morgan pitching in the ninth? In his last two outings he had given up 2 hits on 5/28 and 2 hits on 6/2 (without recording an out) and his breaking ball was garbage tonight.  Was no one else available to pitch for Phily?

Kapler might've overthought this one a little bit.  Normally he probably would've gone to Neris since he's better against lefties, but he's been so bad lately that even that positive split isn't very good (.795 OPS).  He probably should've gone to Ramos who dominates righties but also does quite well against lefties (.679 OPS).  Morgan has the natural platoon advantage but actually has a reverse split (.737 OPS vs. LHH, .548 OPS vs. RHH).  Morgan has been good in general but tonight might've not been the best time to try him out in a high-leverage situation.

Edited by overkill94
Typo
  • Like 1

....I'm just sitting here wondering why he didn't let Ser try and finish the inning. The guy has been nails, just let him pitch.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

....I'm just sitting here wondering why he didn't let Ser try and finish the inning. The guy has been nails, just let him pitch.

Probably a valid question and one that I was asking myself when it happened.  He was up to 26 pitches but his velocity seemed fine.  Again, I think Kapler just overthought this one.

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

Nobody is doing a better Hader impression right now than this kid. I agree let him own it. I think Kapler was solely thinking about workload and protecting his arm or else he would have.

I don't know, I'm starting to wonder about these 2 inning approaches. It seems the wheels might be starting to fall off on these normally unhittable pitchers, even Hader. I think by the end of the year they'll revert back to traditional roles

4 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I don't know, I'm starting to wonder about these 2 inning approaches. It seems the wheels might be starting to fall off on these normally unhittable pitchers, even Hader. I think by the end of the year they'll revert back to traditional roles

Don't tell that to Brad Hand today 

That'll about do it for Justin Anderson's chances of taking over for Parker in the near future. Nearly blew the lead before Parker came in and saved the day.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 6Kill said:

Not sure who’s worse, Calloway or Cash... Gsellman has gotta be a must add in leagues where he’s available though

I think I may wait one until subway series to pick him up. He's low owned, and the team right now is the worst at blowing leads in save situations these past two weeks so I can't see people running to pick him up with other options on the table.

Is anyone else trying to get him now with FOMO attitude or agree with me?

Hector Rodon:

He got the save last night for Houston! Does anyone think he will get more opportunities

9 hours ago, absknicks said:

That'll about do it for Justin Anderson's chances of taking over for Parker in the near future. Nearly blew the lead before Parker came in and saved the day.

Yeah Parker looked great.  4 out save, 3 Ks, 19 pitches.

Houston is looking more and more committee-like all the time.  A handful of their relievers are likely worth owning (depending on league) because of their good ratios and the occasional save, but it's certainly looking like Hinch will use whoever he thinks gives him the best matchup at the time.  

There are also plenty of rumors about them making a deal before the deadline for another bullpen arm, and you have to think if they shell out what it'll cost for a guy like Britton or Herrera, that person will end up getting the lion's share of the 9th inning work.  

Dominguez looks like a slam dunk closer but Kapler keeps playing games.

Domingues had pitched the night before and then last night Kapler tried to stretch him out for a 2 inning save and got burned.

The committee approach to saves will never work in my opinion. Closers need to get in a state of mind where they know what their roles will be and when they can be expected to be used.

Brad Hand pitched a 2 inning save yesterday but didnt pitch the day before that like SerAnthony did. Proper rest and a defined role can do wonders for a closer. Kapler over thinks things. Dominguez was fine to pitch last night but not for a 2 inning high pressure save, he should have been saved exclusively for the 9th inning and i think he woukd have done whay he did in the 8th inning last night and shut then down

Cant remember the last team to win a world series playing closer by committee.