smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

With Sir Anthony seemingly locking down the Closers gig in Philly, is it even worth holding onto Hector Neris? It's not out of the question that Seranthony unravels & they go back to Neris but do you guys think it's even worth it to hang onto Neris & his mediocre peripherals + the occasional vultured SV?? 

9 minutes ago, metropolitans said:

With Sir Anthony seemingly locking down the Closers gig in Philly, is it even worth holding onto Hector Neris? It's not out of the question that Seranthony unravels & they go back to Neris but do you guys think it's even worth it to hang onto Neris & his mediocre peripherals + the occasional vultured SV?? 

When did he lock it down instead of it being a committee? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

I just don't get how "different" it is to a reliever if he's trotting in from the bullpen in the 7th inning, or the 9th.  You're still doing the same warm up, same routine, pitching on the same mound, throwing the same pitches, you're just doing it slightly earlier in the game.  

Baseball is such a mental game...sometimes it's just about the mentality of a player. It makes sense logically to say that a RP should be able to come into a game and get batters out no matter what part of the game he comes in...if we're speaking in a vacuum. But we're talking about human beings who approach situations and circumstances differently. There is a different mindset, a different level of pressure/stress, so forth. One difference in the 7th and 9th...in the 7th if you trot out there and lose the lead, you know your team has 2-3 opportunities to get the lead back for you. In the 9th, if you lose the lead, you probably lose the game. 

I could be off...just giving my perspective. Different guys handle things differently, and there are many factors that come into play. Even with the same warm-up, same routine, same mound...these are still people, not robots. Internal and external factors will always affect outcomes. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, metropolitans said:

With Sir Anthony seemingly locking down the Closers gig in Philly...

You keep telling yourself that.

Strickland pitched well.  The only run he gave up was unearned, 1-2-3 inning if not for Panik's error.  Can't see him in any danger of losing the closers job.  

20 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Strickland blows it

Rob Nen next in line?

He blew it? 

18 minutes ago, vthunder said:

Strickland pitched well.  The only run he gave up was unearned, 1-2-3 inning if not for Panik's error.  Can't see him in any danger of losing the closers job.  

Needed the K of brinson

guy is a .180 hitter who strikes out. He was 1-2 and couldn’t execute the slider. Strickland just never quite executes enough to be Elite. Same old you know what 

21 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Needed the K of brinson

guy is a .180 hitter who strikes out. He was 1-2 and couldn’t execute the slider. Strickland just never quite executes enough to be Elite. Same old you know what 

Sometimes s--- happens 

Brinson  is a major league hitter.... highly touted prospect. 

On June 11th Lewis Brinson went 2-3 against Madison Bumgarner 

29 minutes ago, Stein said:

Hey guys,

Hector Neris gave up another HR.

Has to be a mental mess to be a part of that bullpen at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Stein said:

Hey guys,

Hector Neris gave up another HR.

I just checked...water is also still wet!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

When did he lock it down instead of it being a committee? 

OK let me re-phrase that question...

With Hector Neris seemingly pitching himself out of the 9th inning conversation, are his bloated peripherals and the occasional vultured SV really worth hanging onto? 

He already kinda answered that question by allowing ANOTHER homerun in mop up duty, I'm finally admitting defeat & dumping this guy.

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

HRondon in bottom 9 with 4 run lead.

9th inning usage is a good sign. 1-2-3 inning. Mystery remains.

Edited by terminator10

1 hour ago, metropolitans said:

OK let me re-phrase that question...

With Hector Neris seemingly pitching himself out of the 9th inning conversation, are his bloated peripherals and the occasional vultured SV really worth hanging onto? 

He already kinda answered that question by allowing ANOTHER homerun in mop up duty, I'm finally admitting defeat & dumping this guy.

The answer hasn't changed from when we discussed it a few weeks ago, imo. If you are desperate for saves I'd still hold him. I don't think he's lost ninth inning opportunities. If the saves are mostly an uneeded bonus for your team then I'd take the ratios with Seranthony.

I think this is, and will continue to be, a committee. 

% chance sam dyson takes over san fran closer role?

edit: nm, just realized it was a 16 inning game :(

Edited by jfazz23

2 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

% chance sam dyson takes over san fran closer role?

Next to none, since he needs to get by Strickland AND Melon

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

ya i edited my post, didnt realize it was a 16 innings game.  is melon back?

Why does Hunter Strickland get a blown save when his team committed the error that allowed the other team to tie? Why is Strickland punished for that?

1 hour ago, Nickdoggmoneycash said:

Why does Hunter Strickland get a blown save when his team committed the error that allowed the other team to tie? Why is Strickland punished for that?

Same reason a SP is punished with a loss when his team doesn't hit the ball and his defense makes errors that cause runs to cross the plate. It might not be the pitcher's "fault", but he was on the mound when the runs crossed. Strickland was on the mound when the run crossed that blew the save, and that runner batted against him (ie, his runner)...so he gets the blown save. Just the way it goes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Easy save for Box. 

Aside from his issues with back to back days pitching, he's been really good for the D-Backs.  You can micro analyze his velocity fluctuations or whether he has "closer stuff", but he's done his job and has a much better K-rate than Bradley or Hirano.  So he must be doing something right.

11 hours ago, urban2014 said:

That's a bit of a presumption because Melancon's work so far has all been in lower-leverage situations, like the 6th or 7th inning.  Tony Watson has been consistently setting up for Strickland, as he did yesterday, and in their last save opportunity.  With more strong innings Melancon likely works his way into higher leverage situations, but they don't seem in any rush right now.

Dyson has been pitching well in a similar RH setup role, but I agree he's likely fairly far removed from the job.  You can also factor Will Smith into the end-of-game argument as he's back and working his way up to health similarly to Melancon, and he's been lights out.  Overall the Giants are actually shaping up to have quite a good bullpen if everyone stays healthy and keeps it together with righties Strickland, Melancon, and Dyson, and lefties Watson and Smith.

All that said Strickland has a 2.05 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, and has been solid all year.  Unless he gets blown up a few times I don't see any reason they make a change in the short term.  The closer has to be ready to go back to back or more, and for now Bochy is probably happy to be able to manage Melancon's and Smith's innings out of the spotlight, and get quality relief in the middle innings.

For all those of you fretting about Vazquez, I say wait it out. Personally I’ll be dropping him sooner rather than later. At that point and only that point will he ragain his stature as a top closer. I have been known to kill a few careers. Trust me on this one. Last year I had Diaz. Remember when he lost his closers job? Now look at him. Of course I don’t have him.