• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group  

Parker getting set before the pitch...  

This is the laziness that frustrates many of us, and just adds to a thread that is already difficult for many people to read through. It’s only 2 pages, and question was asked and answered one page be

Posted Images

• Root Admin

Few notes:

Melancon worked the 7th a 4 run game (great time to get an inning underneath him) and K'd the side.

Anderson given the 9th with Parker resting.  Anderson has the characteristics of a future closer.  High velocity with enough of a hook to keep hitters off balance.  He was squeezed badly with a K taken away vs Guzman and Choo was probably out too but soldiered on.  Parker's still the guy but Anderson looks the part eventually.  Needs to learn to go after guys earlier in the count.  He needs experience and reps.

Diaz in for the 3rd straight day.  M's have an off day tomorrow.

• Like 3

Anderson save.  Phew.  Wasn’t actually as messy as box score showed. Should’ve been 2 less walks and a gallo K to end game. 

Edited by TheNephilim
9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Anderson given the 9th with Parker resting.  Anderson has the characteristics of a future closer.  High velocity with enough of a hook to keep hitters off balance.  He was squeezed badly with a K taken away vs Guzman and Choo was probably out too but soldiered on.  Parker's still the guy but Anderson looks the part eventually.  Needs to learn to go after guys earlier in the count.  He needs experience and reps.

Agree with everything- just wanted to add too fwiw I thought the ball 4 to Gallo was a strike ump definitely seemed to have a hitter friendly zone at least during that inning. Anderson definitely has some good swing and miss stuff. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

How did Alvarado look? Only saw the line but that there was also an error?

Saw some weak hits. Maybe unlucky but I think I’m moving on soon. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Saw some weak hits. Maybe unlucky but I think I’m moving on soon. 

I wouldn’t roster any of these Rays relievers unless I was in the deepest of leagues. The situation is a mess and none of them are really that good to begin with.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Few notes:

Melancon worked the 7th a 4 run game (great time to get an inning underneath him) and K'd the side.

Diaz in for the 3rd straight day.  M's have an off day tomorrow.

Are we sure Parker is the guy?  I might have missed something there.  Holding both, didnt notice if Scoscia said it was Parker.

3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

He's definitely not an elite arm, and he has a rough stretch every year, but he always ends up with around a 3.00 ERA, decent WHIP, and 30+ SV like clockwork. 

Out of all the closers he has been pretty solid and predictable on a year to year basis. 

I wouldn't say he always ends up with around a 3.00 ERA. He had a 2.94 last year, a 2.99 in 2015...but a 2.51 or lower in 2013-14 and 2016. His career ERA is 2.69. He's also had a good consistent K-rate...throwing between 67.1 and 70.1 innings from 2013-17 while striking out between 87 and 99 (mostly 87-92 except for the one 99K season). 

I disagree with ragrag saying he's "terribly overrated." He's not. He's been extremely consistent for 4 seasons at a position that is highly volatile. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I wouldn't say he always ends up with around a 3.00 ERA. He had a 2.94 last year, a 2.99 in 2015...but a 2.51 or lower in 2013-14 and 2016. His career ERA is 2.69. He's also had a good consistent K-rate...throwing between 67.1 and 70.1 innings from 2013-17 while striking out between 87 and 99 (mostly 87-92 except for the one 99K season). 

I disagree with ragrag saying he's "terribly overrated." He's not. He's been extremely consistent for 4 seasons at a position that is highly volatile. 

This is true. If you go back to when Allen was first a closer you might only find 3 or 4 others that still have thay gig today.  And he has been mainly pretty good during that period.

10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah for sure, when I said an ERA around 3.00 I just meant that's his worst case scenario.  He's definitely had better years and is capable of it, but when you're drafting you know you can count on no worse than a 3.00 ERA and 30 saves from Allen.

9 hours ago, strahanfan92 said:

Do desperate owners have to buy stocks of Tepera now in Toronto? Seems like the job that nobody wants to take.

I don't even know why he should be considered a desperate choice at this point . . . I guess just because he's not a household name right now?  I'm kind of surprised Tepera / Toronto situation isn't getting more chatter in here, while there's pages of posts about guys like Alvarado who haven't even gotten a save opp and are purely speculative.

I suppose the big question mark in all of this is how long Osuna will be out for, but at this point it seems like a while.  He's still on administrative leave, his up-coming court appearance is not a trial or decision-making process (basically procedural), and by all accounts he is very obviously guilty of this.  At this point (and especially how the Jays' season is trending downwards) I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him miss the rest of the season between extended admin leave and a suspension.

Clippard had his shot and blew it.  Tepera hasn't been rock solid, but steady enough, including coming into a mess that shouldn't have been created in the 8th yesterday with runners on, and got 5 outs (no save because lead was too large, but Tigers were knocking everyone else around).  Oh was slowly sneaking up on relevancy until he blew up over the weekend in the 8th.  

Tepera has been a solid RP the last couple seasons, has good enough stuff, and he has current possession of a closing job that could generate 25+ saves ROS if all the cards fall right.  I think he's an easy add in any saves league, and I'd much rather hold Tepera than muddle around in some of these other committees.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, street sharks said:

How did Alvarado look? Only saw the line but that there was also an error?

Aside from the performance and result that Alvarado had yesterday, he was also pitching the 8th.  Based on the usage yesterday it went Roe/Venters in the 7th, Alvarado in the 8th, and the only one left in the bullpen that would have made sense for Cash to go to in the 9th was Romo (he hadn't pitched since "opening" 2 days earlier). 

This was as close to a "traditional" pitching game as you'll see with the Rays, with Snell going 6 innings and the bullpen taking over from there.  Also of note was in Snell's last start where he went 5.2 IP, Romo was the one who came in for the 9th and got the save.  To me, the writing is on the wall that Romo is first in line to pitch the 9th when these "traditional" save opps arise in Tampa.  Alvarado has been and still is just a speculative add based on having the brightest future and arguably best stuff in that pen right now, but outings like yesterday aren't going to help him gain more traction on that front.

It seems like none of the Rays' recent scenarios end up with Alvarado save opps.  In traditional starts Cash still seems to prefer Romo, and when Romo or Stanek work as "openers", we are seeing multi-inning guys like Pruitt, Stanek, Yarbrough, etc piecing together to finish games almost in reverse.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Yeah for sure, when I said an ERA around 3.00 I just meant that's his worst case scenario.  He's definitely had better years and is capable of it, but when you're drafting you know you can count on no worse than a 3.00 ERA and 30 saves from Allen.

Ah gotcha. My apologies for misunderstanding your point. I totally agree with you, and it's the reason I'm happy to have Allen on my roster despite his recent struggles..his history suggests that by season's end, I'll have no worse than a 3.00 ERA and 30 saves from him.

• Like 1

What do people think the chances of Treinen being dealt at the deadline are? The A’s seem to sell relievers at the deadline every year and he’s been stellar so far. I’d imagine they could get a good return. 

5 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

What do people think the chances of Treinen being dealt at the deadline are? The A’s seem to sell relievers at the deadline every year and he’s been stellar so far. I’d imagine they could get a good return. 

Strong to quite strong.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

Strong to quite strong.

Thats what I was thinking and I feel like if he does he’ll go to a contender and would be an 8th inning guy. Trivino is listed as the nil on a few sites. 

• Like 1