smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

Check out the kid Castillo on TB, could be their closer of the future. I’m praying DET trades Greene so that Jimenez can take his rightful throne as DET closer!

Edited by bgbg22

1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

WILY PERALTA IS THE CLOSER!

Top 5 ROS!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

WILY PERALTA IS THE CLOSER!

He struck out Trout and Upton. He looked pretty good tonight. Topped 97 I think

SP eligibility in Y! is nice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisrfu said:

He struck out Trout and Upton. He looked pretty good tonight. Topped 97 I think

He actually did. Hit he gave up was 2-0 get me over pitch to Albert

34 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Mediocre-to-bad club + inconsistent closer usage = situation to avoid, I'd reckon.

You got it. Nobody over 26-27 years old is safe on that roster. The following guys are ALL on the chopping block:

Chris Archer

Wilson Ramos

Carlos Gomez

Adeiny Hechavarria

Matt Duffy

Nathan Eovaldi

Sergio Romo

Chaz Roe

They only really want prospects in return for any and all of those guys as well, so erase all of those guys and replace them with AAA talent. The Rays are sub .500 as it is and when you remove a third of their roster and replace it with below replacement level talent, oh boy. They are going to suuuuuuck, big time.

I think the Royals will use 3-4 guys in the role ros, I'm ignoring it

Here are the possible scenarios

1) Peralta is the closer but is terrible and loses the role

2) Peralta is the closer but the Royals can't generate a save opp

3) Committee

4) Peralta runs with it

Willy Peralta might get you some saves, but he will not have good numbers. this season in the minors he was in 18 games (2 starts) with 16 relief appearances. 4.37 ERA, 1.63 WHIP, 5.44 BB9.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=128347

rotoworld.

Wily Peralta earned his first major league save with a scoreless ninth in a 2-0 game against the Angels on Monday.

It seemed like Peralta could thrive in relief after the Brewers gave up on him as a starter last year, but it didn't happen immediately then and he still looked like a wreck this spring. He wasn't very good in Triple-A, either, posting a 4.37 ERA and a 39/21 K/BB ratio in 35 innings for Omaha. For the Royals thus far, he's allowed one run in 3 2/3 innings, though that's come with four walks. He has the best fastball of any Royals reliever, and he's a threat to step up and earn the lion's share of the saves the rest of the way. He's awfully, awfully far from a sure thing, though.

Edited by SpecialFNK

I'll stick with holding on to McCarthy. There's no way I'm picking up Peralta. I'd rather punt saves than add him to my roster. He's always an outing away from screwing up your ratios for a month. 

21 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

They said the same thing about Bud Norris.

and Jeanmar Gomez

44 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

They said the same thing about Bud Norris.

22 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

and Jeanmar Gomez

And there is also a gigantic list of terrible relievers that got a save and ending up being just that....terrible relievers that were closers for a week before blowing up your ratios and losing the job.

4 minutes ago, CAT said:

And there is also a gigantic list of terrible relievers that got a save and ending up being just that....terrible relievers that were closers for a week before blowing up your ratios and losing the job.

To be sure, I can absorb a 0.1 IP, 54.00 ERA, 3.00 WHIP outing, or whatever

It's worth taking a run at potentially 20 some odd saves

• Like 3

10 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

To be sure, I can absorb a 0.1 IP, 54.00 ERA, 3.00 WHIP outing, or whatever

It's worth taking a run at potentially 20 some odd saves

20 more saves for the Royals?

They would have to win 20 more games, have each one of them be a save opp, convert every single one and have Peralta available for each opp. I'd set the o/u on Peralta save opps rest of season at 9.5

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smeeze said:

20 more saves for the Royals?

They would have to win 20 more games, have each one of them be a save opp, convert every single one and have Peralta available for each opp. I'd set the o/u on Peralta save opps rest of season at 9.5

Royals are currently sitting at 18 saves and are 3 games out from crossing the halfway point. Its not entirely out of the realm of possibility like you make it sound. It will more than likely be less since they lost Herrera but still, the opportunity will surely be there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arthurpete said:

Royals are currently sitting at 18 saves and are 3 games out from crossing the halfway point. Its not entirely out of the realm of possibility like you make it sound. It will more than likely be less since they lost Herrera but still, the opportunity will surely be there.

This team is going to be even worse when they sell off everything else that isn't bolted down. Moustakas... Merrifield... anybody with a pulse could be out the door. 

• Like 1

The same thing was said about the Rays and Tigers. Who knows. Maybe when they trade off some players they will bring up young guys that give a sh!t and play some baseball.

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

This team is going to be even worse when they sell off everything else that isn't bolted down. Moustakas... Merrifield... anybody with a pulse could be out the door. 

Could be but nothing is guaranteed. 

Look, this thread is hear for a reason, just 5 more saves may mean 2-3 more roto points. 10 more save could literally hand you the W. The struggle for saves is real.

• Like 4

Ah yes the old "he won't get any saves because he's on a bad team" argument again. We have never seen this debate...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bradwatson said:

Ah yes the old "he won't get any saves because he's on a bad team" argument again. We have never seen this debate...

I didn't say he wouldn't get any saves, my point was that 20 saves RoS is ludicrous. 

Is it ? Posted this a while back here. Danny Kolb recorded like 25 saves for the worse team in baseball ( Brewers ) about 10 years ago after the ASB . And as we all know the ASB isn't the end of the first half and the start of the second half. There is about 70 games left. The Brewers had more save chances then the Yankees that year

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Is it ? Posted this a while back here. Danny Kolb recorded like 25 saves for the worse team in baseball ( Brewers ) about 10 years ago after the ASB . And as we all know the ASB isn't the end of the first half and the start of the second half. There is about 70 games left. The Brewers had more save chances then the Yankees that year

You've pointed to 1 example in 100+ years of MLB history... Closers on bad teams have value, too. I'm not arguing that. However, there is still correlation between team wins and save opps. Bad closer (Peralta) on a bad team (Royals) does not inspire confidence. I would bet a significant amount of money that he does not record 20 saves over the course of the rest of the 2018 MLB season.

I pointed it out because it actually happened.  Fact .You don't know that what you are suggesting WILL happen. You are guessing. I'm saying there could be 20 save chances for KC the rest of the way. I don't see what is so hard to believe . They had two in two days. Will I bet on it ? Of course not. That is dumb.