smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

37 minutes ago, motown magic said:

I pointed it out because it actually happened.  Fact .You don't know that what you are suggesting WILL happen. You are guessing. I'm saying there could be 20 save chances for KC the rest of the way. I don't see what is so hard to believe . They had two in two days. Will I bet on it ? Of course not. That is dumb.

Well forgive me for making predictions on a fantasy sports message board

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

You've pointed to 1 example in 100+ years of MLB history... Closers on bad teams have value, too. I'm not arguing that. However, there is still correlation between team wins and save opps. Bad closer (Peralta) on a bad team (Royals) does not inspire confidence. I would bet a significant amount of money that he does not record 20 saves over the course of the rest of the 2018 MLB season.

I'll do you one further, I might not bet the over on ANYONE getting more than 20 saves ROS.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

LOL Romo, what a d-bag.

Apparently Taylor stole a base a while back while they were up 11-2.  I think that's why he was pissed.  Weak though.

2 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

LOL Romo, what a d-bag.

What did Romo do? 

Edited by hangin n wangin

1 minute ago, Max Rockatansky said:

LOL Romo, what a d-bag.

On the closer side of things, he certainly looked better than Alvarado.  Alvarado couldn't get a single lefty out.  Roe and Romo bailed him out, and Romo looked pretty good locking down the save.

Now, after, that's a different story.  Yea, the guy is kind of a bag, but at least it was entertaining.

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

What did Romo do? Alvarez was the D-Bag in that joke of an inning.

He struck out Taylor to end the game.  Talked mess after each pitch, then jawed at him so much after K'ing him, it caused the benches to clear.  No punches thrown, unfortunately.

Just now, 89Topps said:

He struck out Taylor to end the game.  Talked mess after each pitch, then jawed at him so much after K'ing him, it caused the benches to clear.  No punches thrown, unfortunately.

Nice. That's fun.

20 hours ago, bgbg22 said:

Check out the kid Castillo on TB, could be their closer of the future. I’m praying DET trades Greene so that Jimenez can take his rightful throne as DET closer!

He's really good, if they ever stop messing around, he's the best guy to lock down the 9th imo.

Anyone see the funky pitching shenanigans Cash pulled? Looks like he moved Alvarado to the outfield so that Roe could pitch to Rendon, then brought Alvarado back in 

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's really good, if they ever stop messing around, he's the best guy to lock down the 9th imo.

Post romo trade for sure a sleeper stash

I can't imagine Peralta would last long as a closer with a WHIP over 1.50, and his inability to throw strikes throughout his career.  Plus the Royals are going nowhere and as such I'd imagine they'd like to develop a younger, more controllable player for that role moving forward.

Than again, this is the Royals.

6 hours ago, smeeze said:

You've pointed to 1 example in 100+ years of MLB history... Closers on bad teams have value, too. I'm not arguing that. However, there is still correlation between team wins and save opps. Bad closer (Peralta) on a bad team (Royals) does not inspire confidence. I would bet a significant amount of money that he does not record 20 saves over the course of the rest of the 2018 MLB season.

Why is it important to prove this point?  How does this advance the conversation? Clearly, the point here is that Peralta could offer considerable value for anyone chasing saves.  Who cares exactly how many he notches?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

I can't imagine Peralta would last long as a closer with a WHIP over 1.50, and his inability to throw strikes throughout his career.  Plus the Royals are going nowhere and as such I'd imagine they'd like to develop a younger, more controllable player for that role moving forward.

That’s not a reason for believing they wouldn’t use him as a closer - it’s a reason for believing they would.

2 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

You know who else had a crappy 1.5ish whip before he was made a closer?  Gagne, Hand, and Wade Davis.  We've seen this movie before.

By no means am I saying he is safe.  It's just silly to look at past numbers with his stuff though. 

Just now, Magoo said:

You know who else had a crappy 1.5ish whip before he was made a closer?  Gagne, Hand, and Wade Davis.  We've seen this movie before.

By no means am I saying he is safe.  It's just silly to look at past numbers with his stuff though. 

Wade Davis became an elite reliever before becoming a closer.  Same for the others.  They developed, or honed in their abilities in the pen, and then got shots as a closer. It's not impossible that Peralta succeeds as the Royals closer, but he hasn't had that same progression from failed starter, to successful reliever, to then closer as the others have.  The league is loaded with former starters turned relievers who ended up as failed relievers too. 

7 hours ago, motown magic said:

The same thing was said about the Rays and Tigers. Who knows. Maybe when they trade off some players they will bring up young guys that give a sh!t and play some baseball.

But KC, unlike these teams you cited, doesn't have a farm system worth mentioning.  They have no real prospects except a 1B a few years away as I recall.  Any KC closer will need the team to score at least one run per game and that is doubtful if Moose and Merrifield go.  Sal Perez can't do it all.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Just realized Romo was pissed that Michael Taylor stole 3rd base in the SIXTH INNING!

What a jergoff.  :lol:

58 minutes ago, tuesdays said:

Anyone see the funky pitching shenanigans Cash pulled? Looks like he moved Alvarado to the outfield so that Roe could pitch to Rendon, then brought Alvarado back in 

First base actually.  I'm not a big "bunt" guy, but how do you not lay a bunt down in that situation?  Force Alvarado to actually field the position.

2 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Who would you anticipate gets the next save opp for the Giants?

Tony Melyson

1 hour ago, tuesdays said:

How many more appearances for first base eligibility???

• Haha 3

I'm still confused why Romo didn't start the 9th to begin with. He wasn't even the first the  right hander in the games the manager was playing with  alternating pitchers.  Dude has got the team's last 5 saves.  Is he the closer or not?

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

That’s not a reason for believing they wouldn’t use him as a closer - it’s a reason for believing they would.

EXACTLY.  There are many fairly mediocre starters who ended up being pretty good closers.  One pretty good one I can think of is.....Mariano Rivera.  Anyone ever heard of him?

Edited by CAT
  • Like 1