smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

23 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Seranthony warming in the seventh

Only threw 11 pitches so maybe they bring him back out for the 9th...maybe? 

• Like 1

Familia blown Dave chance upcoming here.  First save since the Bush administration and he properly blow it.  Sigh, owning Mets.

• Like 1

Box with a homerun to the first batter he sees (to Castro)....

Appreciate it Familia.  Nice effort bro.  

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

All those Boxberger haters 

boon  3 saves in 4 days 

He gave up the HR, then a walk, then a 2-0 count, they mound visit 

THEN 

he throws 3 straight circle changes low corner perfectly located to make bour look stupid and never looked back.

I actually really enjoy watching scrappy boxberger proving the haters wrong. 

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seranthony with the bounce back 2 inning 3k 0 whip save lets goooo those are gold!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, herschel said:

Hirano pitching 7th and Bradley pitching 8th in AZ for whatever that is worth....Hirano had been pitching the 8th recently.

Not sure but watching the games the past two nights, it seems like Arizona wants Bradley to face the tougher part of the lineup.

Public service announcement:

Treinen is not available tonight after going two straight and 3 of 4 therefore Trivino is in for the save opp tonight. 

So, with Oh converting the last save perfectly and Tepera’s back to back blown saves (or 2 of 3), what are the odds Gibbons goes to Oh next time?

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

So, with Oh converting the last save perfectly and Tepera’s back to back blown saves (or 2 of 3), what are the odds Gibbons goes to Oh next time?

12:1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluefrogguy said:

Hill came in in a non-save situation and gave up a walk, single and HR in 0 IP.  Hill's save last week Peralta had been warming up if anyone got on base.  Looks like Peralta is the best source of KC saves right now.

Screw it, I'll roster him.

But on a semi serious note,  he really shouldn't suck as much as he has in his career.  

• Like 1

Don't want to jinx it but Vazquez has looked much better this month. 1.74 ERA, 17:5 K:BB in 10.1 IP, 5 SV and 1 W so far in June.

Britton has not impressed me so far.

Was hoping I could flip him for something before he's traded in real life, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find any takers at this point.

8 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Screw it, I'll roster him.

But on a semi serious note,  he really shouldn't suck as much as he has in his career.  

Maybe he will have a Bud Norris-esque resurgence as a bullpen arm.

14 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Appreciate it Familia.  Nice effort bro.  

I maintain Familia is a strong trade candidate given his performance this year and his expiring contract.  Bigger question for me is whether Swarzak or Gsellman is next in line.  I know Gsellman picked up a save a few games back, but I think he's also allowed runs in 4 or 5 straight outings.  Swarzak has the fat contract, but he's not exactly been lights out himself.

And Calloway has hinted at a committee too, but given how he's used Familia almost exclusively, I'd think he'd lean on one guy.  Does a 60/40 lean to Swarzak in a post-Familia Mets bullpen feel right?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I maintain Familia is a strong trade candidate given his performance this year and his expiring contract.  Bigger question for me is whether Swarzak or Gsellman is next in line.  I know Gsellman picked up a save a few games back, but I think he's also allowed runs in 4 or 5 straight outings.  Swarzak has the fat contract, but he's not exactly been lights out himself.

And Calloway has hinted at a committee too, but given how he's used Familia almost exclusively, I'd think he'd lean on one guy.  Does a 60/40 lean to Swarzak in a post-Familia Mets bullpen feel right?

I mean you could certainly even argue that Familia is a candidate for demotion in role the dude blows.  He leads mlb in blown saves when he spent a few weeks on DL and hasn’t seen a save in a month now.  Mets are a disaster.  I’m probably sitting out chasing this job.  I can’t imagine a loser like Familia will fetch much on the trade market.  Mariners are seeing what taken chances on shaky closers and putting them in set up has done (Colome) and it isn’t pretty.  

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

I'd agree with this.  

7 minutes ago, herschel said:

are we picking up watson again?

Who knows.  A lot of question marks for any guy who may close in that BP.  I'm sure he will find a way to blow it if he gets the gig.  But at this point I'd give him a shot.  Regardless of the numbers, I can't stand watching Dyson.