Rotoworld.com Forums

June Closer Thread 2018

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

Thats what I was thinking and I feel like if he does he’ll go to a contender and would be an 8th inning guy. Trivino is listed as the nil on a few sites. 

Trivino's ERA is sparkling and his K rate is good, but he walks everybody. Doesn't seem like there would be a better option though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kelvin Herrera - Alex Colome Owners Support Group  

Parker getting set before the pitch...  

This is the laziness that frustrates many of us, and just adds to a thread that is already difficult for many people to read through. It’s only 2 pages, and question was asked and answered one page be

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

What do people think the chances of Treinen being dealt at the deadline are? The A’s seem to sell relievers at the deadline every year and he’s been stellar so far. I’d imagine they could get a good return. 

@AnonymousRob might have more insight on this because I think he's an A's fan.

I haven't heard a lot of chatter either way, but Treinen still has 2 more arbitration years left.  Isn't the A's usual M.O. to use and abuse their pitchers while they are under team control, and then trade them off just as they are set to hit UFA?  Given his closing and saves I'm sure he'll get a good raise in arbitration from the $2.15 million he's making now, but he'd still be a relative bargain. 

For comparison, Roberto Osuna only got $5.3 million in arbitration this year, and he had closed for 2 years prior to that.  Herrera also got somewhere around $5.3 million in arbitration after his first year closing.  And this would still be less than what they are paying their "would have been" closer Casilla this year.  Seems like he's a smart hold for another year or two for the A's, get good closing results on the cheap, pump up his value some more, and then trade him.  Treinen is still a commodity whose price is on the rise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, herschel said:

yates is the clear next in line in sd, right?  any chance he gets dealt as the deadline as well (assuming hand gets traded)?

Yates is 31, while Hand is 28. Yates is under control for the next year and ~2/3rds while Hand is under control for the next 2 and 2/3rds with an additional option year. Given the extension given to Hand and the recent Hosmer contract I could actually see Yates being the more likely to be dealt. I'm not a Padres fan though so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

• Root Admin
41 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Yates is 31, while Hand is 28. Yates is under control for the next year and ~2/3rds while Hand is under control for the next 2 and 2/3rds with an additional option year. Given the extension given to Hand and the recent Hosmer contract I could actually see Yates being the more likely to be dealt. I'm not a Padres fan though so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Obviously would be much cheaper in trade value too..... Most contending teams aren't necessarily looking for a closer at the trade deadline but more help in the bullpen.  Could go either way but seems like Yates would probably be marginally the better bet to be traded.

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Obviously would be much cheaper in trade value too..... Most contending teams aren't necessarily looking for a closer at the trade deadline but more help in the bullpen.  Could go either way but seems like Yates would probably be marginally the better bet to be traded.

Maybe better for SD, but i think the Padres could get a better return for Hand considering all of the reasons you mentioned.  No reason Hand would need to close in order for him to get traded to a contender....

6 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I think it’s time to stash Robertson.  I think Yankees will dangle him for trade bait.  Could possibly go to a team that’s closer needy.  Contract year. 

Why would the Yankees do that?

Yeah I don’t see why a contending team would trade away one of their best relievers when they’re so important in the postseason. I think there’s a very slim chance the Yankees trade away Robertson. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I think it’s time to stash Robertson.  I think Yankees will dangle him for trade bait.  Could possibly go to a team that’s closer needy.  Contract year. 

Not happening.

Yankees have realistic WS aspirations, Betances can become unreliable at the snap of a finger (remember last year's playoffs, among other instances?), Kahnle is in the minors and may not become effective at all if/when he is recalled and Green doesn't have closing experience and is excelling in the role he is currently in.

Robertson would be next in line if something happens to Chapman and that's how it's going to be the rest of the way.  That would be the reason for a stash, not because of him being moved.

Edited by Blight
25 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I lol'd.

What am I missing with the Diaz conjecture? I cant imagine they demote him from the role like they did last year, even temporarily. He's top 5 ROS even with the recent hiccups.

11 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

MLB doesn't even have an answer to your question as yet. 

Well to put a guy on administrative leave for over a month and put a suspension on top seems ridiculous when chapman only got 30 games and a gun was involved. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

@AnonymousRob might have more insight on this because I think he's an A's fan.

I haven't heard a lot of chatter either way, but Treinen still has 2 more arbitration years left.  Isn't the A's usual M.O. to use and abuse their pitchers while they are under team control, and then trade them off just as they are set to hit UFA?  Given his closing and saves I'm sure he'll get a good raise in arbitration from the $2.15 million he's making now, but he'd still be a relative bargain. 

For comparison, Roberto Osuna only got $5.3 million in arbitration this year, and he had closed for 2 years prior to that.  Herrera also got somewhere around $5.3 million in arbitration after his first year closing.  And this would still be less than what they are paying their "would have been" closer Casilla this year.  Seems like he's a smart hold for another year or two for the A's, get good closing results on the cheap, pump up his value some more, and then trade him.  Treinen is still a commodity whose price is on the rise.

You've nailed it. I mean, Oakland will trade anybody if the price is right but it's a strong bet he's staying with Oakland this year. If you're going to sell him from your team that's fine but don't do it because you fear him getting traded out of Oakland. He's staying put this year unless somebody comes calling and offers the moon. It could happen but it's not likely. The Beanes will be happy enough to keep him a bit longer and trade when he's getting too expensive. Though this is a fun opinion piece from some Indians fan. https://believelandball.com/2018/06/01/cleveland-indians-tribe-target-blake-treinen-trade/amp/

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

You've nailed it. I mean, Oakland will trade anybody if the price is right but it's a strong bet he's staying with Oakland this year. If you're going to sell him from your team that's fine but don't do it because you fear him getting traded out of Oakland. He's staying put this year unless somebody comes calling and offers the moon. It could happen but it's not likely. The Beanes will be happy enough to keep him a bit longer and trade when he's getting too expensive. Though this is a fun opinion piece from some Indians fan. https://believelandball.com/2018/06/01/cleveland-indians-tribe-target-blake-treinen-trade/amp/

That overlay gif is ridiculous...

https://mobile.twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1001575851203420160

Edited by Lebanasty
Added link
1 hour ago, sjs1890 said:

Well to put a guy on administrative leave for over a month and put a suspension on top seems ridiculous when chapman only got 30 games and a gun was involved. 

Please don't go there treating all situations the same.  Every situation is different and the Toronto media reports say this was very serious.  Administrative leave is because his case hasn't come up in court yet but it is obviously a serious situation so you can't let someone like that back into the game.  Suspension will then be based on what happens to him in court.

Major League Baseball has extended the administrative leave for Roberto Osuna for another week through June 11.

Osuna's first court date for his charge of assault is on June 18, and it's become clear that MLB is going to extend the pitcher's administrative leave at least through that date. An official suspension is undoubtedly coming after the conclusion of Osuna's case, leaving his status very much up in the air. The Blue Jays have tried a couple guys at closer since Osuna has been out but Ryan Tepera looks to be the favorite for saves in their bullpen at the moment.

Source: Shi Davidi on Twitter           Jun 4 - 5:21 PM

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Please don't go there treating all situations the same.  Every situation is different and the Toronto media reports say this was very serious.  Administrative leave is because his case hasn't come up in court yet but it is obviously a serious situation so you can't let someone like that back into the game.  Suspension will then be based on what happens to him in court.

I'm not treating every situation the same where did I say that?  Chapman's case was very serious as well arguably more serious a gun was involved and that guy was put back on the field after just missing 30 games. Anyways I believe Osuna Is getting treated unfairly. I'm gonna stash the guy I could care less what he did off the field #sagnof

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

I'm not treating every situation the same where did I say that?  Chapman's case was very serious as well arguably more serious a gun was involved and that guy was put back on the field after just missing 30 games. Anyways I believe Osuna Is getting treated unfairly. I'm gonna stash the guy I could care less what he did off the field #sagnof

Well you should. Because that's the most important factor in when he returns this season, if at all.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Chapman also committed the actions for which he was suspended in October of 2015, and only suspended on March 1st of the following year after MLB conducted a lengthy investigation - a period of four months.  Osuna was just arrested a few weeks ago and has not even logged a single hearing in court.

Stash if you wish, but I’d bet he’s gone for at least the remainder of this season.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

He's being treated plenty fairly because the MLB is working within the rules that the MLBPA agreed to. And you only don't care what he did because he's on your fantasy team - I think anyone clearly guilty of assaulting a woman can rot on the sidelines for the rest of the year. And that's coming from a Jays fan.  

As for what his suspension will be, everywhere I've read is saying the suspension is separate from the admin leave - there's no time served. He's getting paid to stay away, and once the MLB sorts out what they want to do with him, the suspension starts then. 

As others have said, this is likely going to take a while. Waste of a bench spot in most leagues at this point. 

• Like 8
28 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

He's being treated plenty fairly because the MLB is working within the rules that the MLBPA agreed to. And you only don't care what he did because he's on your fantasy team - I think anyone clearly guilty of assaulting a woman can rot on the sidelines for the rest of the year. And that's coming from a Jays fan.  

As for what his suspension will be, everywhere I've read is saying the suspension is separate from the admin leave - there's no time served. He's getting paid to stay away, and once the MLB sorts out what they want to do with him, the suspension starts then. 

As others have said, this is likely going to take a while. Waste of a bench spot in most leagues at this point. 

Source on suspension being separate than administrative leave??? He could just easily pay back his salary especially if charges get dropped on June 18th which is also a possibility.