smeeze

June Closer Thread 2018

46 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

By what measure?

The inability to get the final out of a game before handing over the lead.  He doesn’t pass the eyeball test for me anymore.  He was great 5 years ago, but now every time i watch him with the game in the line he folds. He’s a serviceable reliever, just don’t give him then 9th anymore.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

The inability to get the final out of a game before handing over the lead.  He doesn’t pass the eyeball test for me anymore.  He was great 5 years ago, but now every time i watch him with the game in the line he folds. He’s a serviceable reliever, just don’t give him then 9th anymore.

Fair enough.

I don't follow Clippard too closely, but he's always struck me as a guy who nibbles, and keeps you on the edge of your seat in every outing, whether it be a one-run game in the ninth inning or any other inning.

But I like his prospects as a closer in meaningless games--which Toronto will be playing plenty of.

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Fair enough.

I don't follow Clippard too closely, but he's always struck me as a guy who nibbles, and keeps you on the edge of your seat in every outing, whether it be a one-run game in the ninth inning or any other inning.

But I like his prospects as a closer in meaningless games--which Toronto will be playing plenty of.

I’m skeptical, but Possession is the law in closer land.  If jeanmar can save 40 games... stranger things have happened

Oh handling the ninth in a tie game currently - doesn’t look bad at all

You guys think Will Smith is a must add ? 

His Yahoo note makes sense that Bochy isn't usually a manage who likes CBC and prefers to have a go to guy. Smith seems like a pretty good option for SF way he's pitched so far. 

7 hours ago, Magoo said:

He pled not guilty.  I don't think there would be a trial before the season ends.

Osuna has a court date of July 9th and I believe everything will be determined at that point. I doubt he will get a not guilty decision.  His season very well could be in jeopardy.

Edit: Added link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/roberto-osunas-next-court-hearing-date-set-july-9/sn-amp/

Edited by knuckleheads

3 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Osuna has a court date of July 9th and I believe everything will be determined at that point. I doubt he will get a not guilty decision.  His season very well could be in jeopardy.

It is a virtual certainty that everything will not be determined at an initial hearing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tonywow said:

You guys think Will Smith is a must add ? 

I'm not "thinking" anything.

Will Smith got the most recent save.

He has good numbers / peripherals.

San Francisco does not have a regular closer right now.

Add.

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

It is a virtual certainty that everything will not be determined at an initial hearing.

I added a link to the original posting.  Don't know for certain but can say this is the second court meeting. Of course the first was just to enter a plea but the link reads like they will be attempting to resolve everything then.

Edited by knuckleheads

3 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I added a link to the original posting.  Don't know for certain but can say this is the second court meeting. Of course the first was just to enter a plea but the link reads like they will be attempting to resolve everything then.

I mean, it’s possible.  But it’s highly unlikely in an initial hearing - the first appearance was likely an arraignment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I mean, it’s possible.  But it’s highly unlikely in an initial hearing - the first appearance was likely an arraignment.

That's correct. I was mistaken that he entered a plea of not guilty already but will do so on July 9.   Based on that you might very well be right that it will not be resolved until the season is done. Will know more next week.

• Like 2

SirAnthony with the save.

• Like 1

Ottavino with the save tonight. I'm assuming it's because Davis was unavailable after pitching consecutive nights? McGee got the save the last time Davis pitched consecutive games. 

Hand with an ugly save.  Has now given up a run in 4 of his last 6 appearances.  And three of those four have been two runs.

5 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Hand with an ugly save.  Has now given up a run in 4 of his last 6 appearances.  And three of those four have been two runs.

Meanwhile yates has a sub 1 era and looks like vintage Kimbrel 

18 hours ago, BMcP said:

Oh handling the ninth in a tie game currently - doesn’t look bad at all

Oh has looked great for most of this year. He’s been on a roll lately too and got traditional

closer usage last night in the top of the 9th, tie game at home. Got the W as a result. 

What gives me pause is the day before, first game when Tepera was unavailable, Oh pitched the 8th and Clippard got the 9th. 

Idk which guy it is right now, but they’ve generated saves fairly consistently. 

• Like 1

I have a serious love/hate relationship with these threads. I dropped Clippard an picked up Oh. I actually feel better about that for some reason.

6 minutes ago, drunkb said:

I have a serious love/hate relationship with these threads. I dropped Clippard an picked up Oh. I actually feel better about that for some reason.

Is it possible they went with Oh because he was more rested than Clippard coming into last nights game? 

I did add Clippard over Oh but now I’m wondering what’s going on with this pen right now. Let’s say there’s another save opp tonight and they decide to go with Clippard. Would that just be because Oh just went two in a row? 

Not a a lot of clarity on this situation at the moment. 

Familia time.  It’s 5 O’Clock somewhere, time to hit the fridge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cyberer said:

Meanwhile yates has a sub 1 era and looks like vintage Kimbrel 

irrelevant unless hand gets dealt

Just now, duke of queens said:

Minter with a clean save

I Thought he looked great