kidtwentytwo

Brendan McKay - SP/1b Tampa

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

 

If you spent draft capital on Ohtani knowing full well he was a two way player and then your host site split him into two players after the fact

Thats 100% NOT the case with McKay, specifically because we already know what happened with Ohtani.

And how exactly did anyone have a draft on Yahoo without realizing that Ohtani was split anyway? He was like that the moment 2019 went live. It couldn't have been "after the fact" if you drafted on Yahoo. 

If you drafted offline before Yahoo opened then that's on the commish and the league in general, and knowing that happened, the league should already have a better plan for McKay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Thats 100% NOT the case with McKay, specifically because we already know what happened with Ohtani.

And how exactly did anyone have a draft on Yahoo without realizing that Ohtani was split anyway? He was like that the moment 2019 went live. It couldn't have been "after the fact" if you drafted on Yahoo. 

If you drafted offline before Yahoo opened then that's on the commish and the league in general, and knowing that happened, the league should already have a better plan for McKay.

 

You’re making my point. Ohtani was split before anyone had a chance to draft him. McKay was not. IF McKay is split into two versions because he is a two way player (like Ohtani), which we have no way of knowing if/when it will happen, then the person who has owned McKay (the only McKay that exists in the player pool) should not lose the more valuable version of that player simply because Yahoo arbitrarily listed him as a 1B initially instead of a pitcher. 

 

thats my opinion. I did ask for thoughts from the community on this, so you’re welcome to disagree, but I don’t think your position that Ohtani owners would have a complaint carries water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, but what about owners who didn't value him as a hitter, and were waiting for the pitcher version to come out? How is your proposed solution fair to them? 

In my opinion, if your league didn't make a rule for the specific situation ahead of time, and you want it to be fair to everyone, then you have to play it out with what the platform gives you. Trying to change rules after the fact never ends well you'll be opening yourself up to more problems than the initial one you're attempting to fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cs3 said:

Ok, but what about owners who didn't value him as a hitter, and were waiting for the pitcher version to come out? How is your proposed solution fair to them? 

In my opinion, if your league didn't make a rule for the specific situation ahead of time, and you want it to be fair to everyone, then you have to play it out with what the platform gives you. Trying to change rules after the fact never ends well you'll be opening yourself up to more problems than the initial one you're attempting to fix.

 

At the time McKay first entered the player pool there was zero precedent for splitting a player. The assumption was that yahoo would add SP eligibility at some point down the road. I don’t think most fantasy baseball players ever considered the possibility of a split player until it happened with Ohtani.

If someone in my league is going to use the argument that they didn’t draft McKay because they weren’t interested in the batter version and were just waiting for the pitcher version to be released I’m going to call BS. 

 

We also don’t know if yahoo is going to stick with this split player “solution” long term. We have no idea what triggers a player to be split moving forward. Will it not happen until they hit the 40 man roster? Get called up to the majors? Does their team have to formally announce that they plan to use the player as both a pitcher and a batter? What if McKay drops his ambitions to be a two-way player and becomes just a pitcher? Couldn’t yahoo simply change his position to SP and not even need to bother with splitting him at all? 

There’s just so much we don’t know about how this is going to go down that I think it’s only fair to treat BrendaMcKay as Brendan McKay...a single player whose future rights (whatever that ends up looking like) are controlled by the owner who rosters him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize the eligibility/position/ownership stake conversation is an important one for most leagues.. but can we jump back to performance updates and ETA here please? 

 

Went 5 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned and 9Ks yesterday. On the season now he has a 3.29 ERA and 27Ks in 13.2 innings. The guy is a college pick and is 23 years old. With the Rays going for the division this season and looking good.. any chance we see him up in the summer? I could even see them throwing him in the opener/bullpen roles to make a run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

I realize the eligibility/position/ownership stake conversation is an important one for most leagues.. but can we jump back to performance updates and ETA here please? 

 

Went 5 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned and 9Ks yesterday. On the season now he has a 3.29 ERA and 27Ks in 13.2 innings. The guy is a college pick and is 23 years old. With the Rays going for the division this season and looking good.. any chance we see him up in the summer? I could even see them throwing him in the opener/bullpen roles to make a run. 

Yeah I think that is a definite possibility and would certainly be in a multi-inning RP type role imo...though I am not certain of his roster status, that is only thing (other than performance or service time suppression) that could complicate his ascension to bigs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah I think that is a definite possibility and would certainly be in a multi-inning RP type role imo...though I am not certain of his roster status, that is only thing (other than performance or service time suppression) that could complicate his ascension to bigs. 

He currently is not on the 40 man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I could see a David Price Rookie year like Role later this year if they are in the thick of it

 

i really hope they bring McKay and Lowe up if we have a shot later this season

 

EDIT: Honeyboy is probably going to get the call ala Price rookie season before McKay tho but Natty Lowe def should be on radars for a callup if Choi Garcia etc struggle 

Edited by kmoore1521

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like he'd be an excellent addition to TB towards the end of the year. Multi-inning RP/PH/defensive replacement(assuming his fielding is good, fangraphs 50 grade).  All he's missing from being able to do everything is a little speed. He's listed at 35current/30future value speed, I've never seen that. Even a few guys I expected to be very slow are current 40's.... Vlad, Bart, N.Lowe. Vlad is faster than Mckay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Seems like he'd be an excellent addition to TB towards the end of the year. Multi-inning RP/PH/defensive replacement(assuming his fielding is good, fangraphs 50 grade).  All he's missing from being able to do everything is a little speed. He's listed at 35current/30future value speed, I've never seen that. Even a few guys I expected to be very slow are current 40's.... Vlad, Bart, N.Lowe. Vlad is faster than Mckay?

Yeah I agree with you and the others above. It's totally the MO of Tampa to utilize him for important innings later in year.

I just see them now, bringing him in for 2 lefties in a row, then sending over to 1B for a tough RH hitter and then moving him back to the rubber for the next lefty cluster!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think it's going to end up a moot point.  His prospect status as a pitcher is significantly more valuable then him as a hitter.  He's a career .219 hitter in the minors.  They may do what Steven said to keep him in a bit more with clusters of lefties, but I don't see him being a 2 way player in the majors hitting like he is from the 1b/DH position.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitcherlist bumped him up to#3 on their ranking because they think he will be up late May...

3. Brendan McKay, SPTampa Bay Rays – ETA Late May

Back-to-back scoreless outings bring Brendan McKay‘s season ERA to a stellar 1.51 with 53 strikeouts over 35.2 innings. McKay has breezed through every outing this season and has not let up more than one run in a game since his first of the season. Tampa Bay is a team incentivized to win-now and with an injury to Tyler Glasnow that will keep him out 4-6 weeks, the need is underscored. McKay is clearly ready to pitch in the Majors, his opportunity could be just around the corner.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this list each week but I generally feel like the ETA's are very aggressive. Rarely have they come through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is coming soon. Just heard Jim Bowden on Sirius radio mention it. He is a former GM and his scoops are usually really accurate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is how long will it take for Yahoo to add Brendan McKay-P to their player list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flyman75 said:

My question is how long will it take for Yahoo to add Brendan McKay-P to their player list?

 

😴 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devildog83 said:

He is coming soon. Just heard Jim Bowden on Sirius radio mention it. He is a former GM and his scoops are usually really accurate. 

What did he say? Can’t find it on the mlb on Sirius archive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when he is added to leagues, will he be on waivers? or will he be instantly add-able?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Devildog83 said:

He is coming soon. Just heard Jim Bowden on Sirius radio mention it. He is a former GM and his scoops are usually really accurate. 

I am not sure you are actually familiar with Jim Bowden? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word yet on an Innings limit this year? Looks like 77 innings pitched last year and he’s at 35 already this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Any word yet on an Innings limit this year? Looks like 77 innings pitched last year and he’s at 35 already this year.

 

He probably has anther 70 innings.  Probably never more.  He could be used like Hader probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Any word yet on an Innings limit this year? Looks like 77 innings pitched last year and he’s at 35 already this year.

 

He pitched 129 IP 2017 and 109 IP in 2016. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.