kidtwentytwo

Brendan McKay - SP/1b Tampa

22 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

5 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 1 BB, 7 K’s. Oh, and he struck out both Stanton and Judge both looking on 2-2 pitches. He struck Stanton out twice, once swinging. 

It’s only a matter of time at this point. 

This thread has turned into a “Vent & Rant about Yahoo,” so thank you for bringing content. 

Last year he threw a little over 70 IP, and he’s already at 56.2 IP this season. Even if they bring him up, I’m assuming he’ll be limited? Maybe use him like they’re using Beeks (4-5 innings after an opener)?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This thread has turned into a “Vent & Rant about Yahoo,” so thank you for bringing content. 

Last year he threw a little over 70 IP, and he’s already at 56.2 IP this season. Even if they bring him up, I’m assuming he’ll be limited? Maybe use him like they’re using Beeks (4-5 innings after an opener)?

I think it’s worth noting that Mckay has pitched 129 and 109 innings each of the two years prior. 

• Like 1

ESPN Fan Support's twitter suggested McKay will likely be subject to their usual eligibility rules, 3 sp or 5 rp appearances.

If accurate, and assuming McKay is an opener, then bank on waiting a month as ESPN sits on their hands until he goes 5 times. 

• Haha 1

That's hilarious. ESPN actually believes that McKay's primary position is 1B? And, they're willing to stick with that? That makes very little sense. Maybe, they just don't want to admit their initial decision of "1B only" isn't quite right and they don't want to admit that out loud? Or, they're just too lazy to change the coding and don't care? If true, then it's a shame they don't want to put in the effort to manage the fantasy baseball site correctly.

Back to baseball... Tampa Bay Rays should be calling up Brendan McKay soon... hopefully they realize he can pitch too...

enough with the Yahoo BS take it to the platform thread yeesh

anyway how are we feeling stash wise on this guy? I'm a rays fan so im biased but i am starting to get a little antsy wanting to stash so i dont miss out

any others have this same feeling?

def think he is up this season

11 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

anyway how are we feeling stash wise on this guy? I'm a rays fan so im biased but i am starting to get a little antsy wanting to stash so i dont miss out

I'd stash if Yahoo! would add him as a SP.

13 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I think it’s worth noting that Mckay has pitched 129 and 109 innings each of the two years prior. 

I didn’t see that on Fangraphs. College? 

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I didn’t see that on Fangraphs. College? 

Yes at Lousiville his final two years there. I know he was injured last year and didn't play additional time at the Arizona Fall League.  Not sure about 2017 though. 

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

I think all of the "yahoo b.s." is a clear indication that people really want to stash this guy but are frustrated that they are unable to do so because of Yahoo's system glitch.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, misterf said:

I think all of the "yahoo b.s." is a clear indication that people really want to stash this guy but are frustrated that they are unable to do so because of Yahoo's system glitch.

It'd be nice if they actually talk about McKay then and if theyd actually stash right now instead of whining over yahoo, such as ETA's in their opinion, will he be a bulk guy or get legit starts, innings limits, etc which im glad to see a few of us are trying to steer this thread back in the right direction

theres a platform thread for a reason, not cluttering this thread with useless info about the player would be ideal

but anyways building off the innings comments i too was unaware of his collegiate innings total, def helpful to get a better idea of when the rays might cap him this year and was nice to see him K up Judge and Stanton!

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yes at Lousiville his final two years there. I know he was injured last year and didn't play additional time at the Arizona Fall League.  Not sure about 2017 though. 

This is something to keep in mind for sure. They aren't letting him pitch a single pitch after 5 innings in AAA. Here are his stats:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=656713#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2019/MINORS

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

This is something to keep in mind for sure. They aren't letting him pitch a single pitch after 5 innings in AAA. Here are his stats:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=656713#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2019/MINORS

I personally wonder if that won't matter in a potential call up. The Rays could just use him as a bulk 4-5 RP for this season to keep his innings down. Just a thought.

Posted (edited)

[...]

Here’s a new topic... now that he’s starting to hit and show some good patience at the plate...Does this slow down his chances for the majors? They could see that his hitting is starting to develop and say, “This is our last chance to allow him to develop a hit tool because we’re not going to experiment with him on a winning season on the line.” And it might even be his desire to stay down and keep the hitting dream alive. 

Thoughts?

Edited by tonycpsu

23 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Here’s a new topic... now that he’s starting to hit and show some good patience at the plate...Does this slow down his chances for the majors? They could see that his hitting is starting to develop and say, “This is our last chance to allow him to develop a hit tool because we’re not going to experiment with him on a winning season on the line.” And it might even be his desire to stay down and keep the hitting dream alive. 

Thoughts?

It’s possible I suppose. But I’ve got to think he’s itching to get to the majors at this point, and wouldn’t say “Keep me down, my bat is heating up.”

Yarbrough seems to be on borrowed time. I’d think it’s soon. I saw a tweet that I didn’t share because there’s no way of verifying, but a guy claiming he knows someone in org and that there will be 2 more starts, then he’ll be up July 1 at home. Seemed plausible to me. 

[Bickering / platform derail removed.  Discussions of how each platform handles two-way players need to be taken to the platform thread.]

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

[...]

Thoughts?

Not a chance that any minor leaguer would want to stay down for any reason.  His desire to be in the majors surely outweighs any other desire. 

22 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

It'd be nice if they actually talk about McKay then and if theyd actually stash right now instead of whining over yahoo, such as ETA's in their opinion, will he be a bulk guy or get legit starts, innings limits, etc which im glad to see a few of us are trying to steer this thread back in the right direction

theres a platform thread for a reason, not cluttering this thread with useless info about the player would be ideal

but anyways building off the innings comments i too was unaware of his collegiate innings total, def helpful to get a better idea of when the rays might cap him this year and was nice to see him K up Judge and Stanton!

The problem is they go hand-in-hand with McKay. You’re wanting to know if guys are stashing. Well...we want to but aren’t able to. So yes, he’s a stash, but depending on format, you may not be able to. 

As far as how they’ll use him, who knows. As the Rays fan, you should be telling us, right? Lol 😁. J/k. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them use him in any role. Maybe as a bulk guy...or maybe even as an opener going 2-3 innings to manage his innings but still let him start games. Or maybe they start him and let him go 5. Hard to tell. 

• Like 2

ESPN just added SP eligiblity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic news! Maybe all the ranting and raving on this forum helped ESPN clear it's head. Now, let's hope TB gives him a shot this year because his MILB numbers indicate he has the stuff to succeed.

Very intrigued to see where he'll pitch on Friday (his next scheduled start). Morton pitches tomorrow and then I believe it's Jalen Beeks' next scheduled outing on Friday. Beeks has at most gone 3/4 innings so McKay could conceivably follow him.

Again, last time he pitched, he impressed against a lineup featuring Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton. I hope that showed the Rays he's ready. Surely, any worry about Super Two passing has ended with the Marlins' calling up Zac Gallen.

7 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

ESPN just added SP eligiblity.

Well that settles it. Tampa should call him up any day now. 

• Haha 1

McKay went 1-5 with another HR last night. He’s now got 4HR, 9RBI and is batting .220 with an OPS of .884 in 12 games since joining AAA Durham. 

Open spot for a start in Tampa today but pretty late for an announcement. Not sure what they're waiting for unless they want that stick to be ready.

[ Let's take the Yahoo discussion here. ]