Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FollowTheLeader

Geronimo Allison 2018 Outlook

With news out of GB that Geronimo will play in 2 WRs sets, opposite Adams, and with Cobb in the slot, what are the early takeaways from this forum?

*Personally, I was intrigued going into the offseason, and I don't see any of the rookies overtaking him. My league has a FA Veteran draft, and of the available FA WRS, I have him slotted 1A, followed by 1B PGarcon, 3 TWilliams, and 4 BButler (really scrapping the bottom of the barrel after those 4).

"Geronimo Allison Fantasy Football Outlook (2018)

By Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros), Wednesday, Jun 6th

Possibly fantasy football's best kept secret to this point, as you have the chance to get one of Aaron Rodgers' starting wide receivers essentially for free. With Randall Cobb playing the slot almost exclusively, Allison would start opposite Davante Adams in 2WR sets. Did everyone forget that James Jones caught 14 touchdowns from Aaron Rodgers a handful of years ago, only to retire a few years later? Allison has played 15 total games with Rodgers under center, and in those games he's totaled 45 targets, 26 receptions, 381 yards, and two touchdowns. That's some pretty good point-per-target production, and despite them drafting a few wide receivers, he's the only one who has experience in the offense, chemistry with Rodgers, and production to show he's capable."

Don't bother, he wasn't even drafted by an NFL team. If GB believed in him, they wouldn't have drafted 3 WRs given all their needs on the roster, especially on defense.

Did it work?

6 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Don't bother, he wasn't even drafted by an NFL team. If GB believed in him, they wouldn't have drafted 3 WRs given all their needs on the roster, especially on defense.

Entering the 2017 nfl draft, the Green Bay Packers, while rostering 8 WRs:

JNelson

DAdams

JJanis

MMcCaffrey

RCobb

GAllison

TDavis

AGoodley

...drafted 2 WRs: Deangelo Yancey, WR, Purdue, and Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU

So, GB drafting 3 WRs after cutting Jordy Nelson, doesn't really fit the above narrative/analysis.

20 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

With news out of GB that Geronimo will play in 2 WRs sets, opposite Adams, and with Cobb in the slot, what are the early takeaways from this forum?

*Personally, I was intrigued going into the offseason, and I don't see any of the rookies overtaking him. My league has a FA Veteran draft, and of the available FA WRS, I have him slotted 1A, followed by 1B PGarcon, 3 TWilliams, and 4 BButler (really scrapping the bottom of the barrel after those 4).

"Geronimo Allison Fantasy Football Outlook (2018)

By Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros), Wednesday, Jun 6th

Possibly fantasy football's best kept secret to this point, as you have the chance to get one of Aaron Rodgers' starting wide receivers essentially for free. With Randall Cobb playing the slot almost exclusively, Allison would start opposite Davante Adams in 2WR sets. Did everyone forget that James Jones caught 14 touchdowns from Aaron Rodgers a handful of years ago, only to retire a few years later? Allison has played 15 total games with Rodgers under center, and in those games he's totaled 45 targets, 26 receptions, 381 yards, and two touchdowns. That's some pretty good point-per-target production, and despite them drafting a few wide receivers, he's the only one who has experience in the offense, chemistry with Rodgers, and production to show he's capable."

I would absolutely put Garcon ahead of Allison.  I get the appeal of owning a piece of a Rodgers offense, but Garcon has proven he can do it, in a system and offense that should be great this year. 

As for Geronimo, late round dart throw in re-draft.  Given the 4 WR available you laid out, I would def take him #2 after Garcon though.  

29 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

While now is the time for fantasy vigilance, I'd suggest not singling out Geronimo, and instead considering the four-man combo of Geronimo, St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling, and Moore. August should help us to see who will be the #3, and possibly who [as #3] will be pushing for #2.

SecondhandBigGallowaycow-size_restricted

9 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

I would absolutely put Garcon ahead of Allison.  I get the appeal of owning a piece of a Rodgers offense, but Garcon has proven he can do it, in a system and offense that should be great this year. 

As for Geronimo, late round dart throw in re-draft.  Given the 4 WR available you laid out, I would def take him #2 after Garcon though.  

Thanks for the input. With my roster (in sig), Garcon would be my 2nd SF WR, and I've heard rumors of Dez to SF, which would be a negative to owning Garcon AND Goodwin. I agree though, on paper, I am higher on Garcon, just not sure of what the future holds.

10 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

While now is the time for fantasy vigilance, I'd suggest not singling out Geronimo, and instead considering the four-man combo of Geronimo, St. Brown, Valdes-Scantling, and Moore. August should help us to see who will be the #3, and possibly who [as #3] will be pushing for #2.

SecondhandBigGallowaycow-size_restricted

Aside, from my personal inquiry as it relates to my team, I am also just starting a general conversation on Geronimo, as he has apparently been named the 2nd starting WR in 2 WR sets, therefore he is worthy of conversation, now and moving forward :shrug:

ps: on a personal note: if your FA draft were today, what are your thoughts on Geronimo? *FYI St. Brown was drafted in our rookie draft, and as  MU hometown guy, I do not care for Moore in the least.

*sometimes in dynasty you just gotta' jump in before you know if the water is cold or not.

17 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Aside, from my personal inquiry as it relates to my team, I am also just starting a general conversation on Geronimo, as he has apparently been named the 2nd starting WR in 2 WR sets, therefore he is worthy of conversation, now and moving forward :shrug:

ps: on a personal note: if your FA draft were today, what are your thoughts on Geronimo? *FYI St. Brown was drafted in our rookie draft.

*sometimes in dynasty you just gotta' jump in before you know if the water is cold or not.

I think Geronimo's value in dynasty right now is as a flippable piece. If someone will buy the narrative of "starting WR for Aaron Rodgers!", this is 100% a guy to sell. 

Think of all the obstacles Allison has to overcome to be truly relevant. 

1. He still has to win the job. There are three rookies on the roster he will have to hold off. I particularly like Moore. 

2. The Packers can't sign a veteran free agent. Dez, Maclin, and Decker would all make some sense as additions to an elite offense. 

3. Ty Montgomery can't go back to WR. The idea of Monty transitioning back to his original position can't be dismissed out of hand. 

4. If he wins the job, he has to do something with it. Yes, it's the Packers offense, but what is he, 5th on the totem pole, at best. 

Even in a dynasty league, I don't know if I can get really excited about an unproven guy who's best case scenario is 5th option, even on a good offense. 

I'd rather take a deep flyer on guys like Chester Rogers, Taylor Gabriel, Tyler Lockett, Albert Wilson, Willie Snead, or Chad Hansen, to name a few. 

33 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

if your FA draft were today, what are your thoughts on Geronimo? *FYI St. Brown was drafted in our rookie draft, and as  MU hometown guy, I do not care for Moore in the least.

If I drafted today, I wouldn't draft Geronimo. Like ajs723 points out (above), there are plenty of deep flyers with more established roles / skills. I like the idea of getting a piece of Rodgers, and I see Ty Montgomery as a much better get than Geronimo.

26 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I particularly like Moore. 

Even in a dynasty league, I don't know if I can get really excited about an unproven guy who's best case scenario is 5th option, even on a good offense. 

Chester Rogers, Taylor Gabriel, Tyler Lockett, Albert Wilson, Willie Snead, or Chad Hansen, to name a few.

Sorry, I must have been editing your post when you quoted me. Seeing Moore play on a weekly basis here in Mizzou country, I wont touch him, but that is just my personal preference.

5th option? If he steps into 2 WR sets, whose he behind? 1) Adams 2) Cobb (if on the field), and 3) TE Graham *maybe, I've seen a lot of mixed reactions from Seattle fans regarding Graham's play, and Rodgers has never been known to target the TE as much as some people seem to believe. That puts Geronimo anywhere from 2nd-3rd in 2 WR sets, and 3-4th in 3 wide + TE package. The WRs saw over 336 targets last year, and the RBs saw 83. Remove Adams' 117 targets, and that leaves 219 targets for the WRs. *granted this was mostly based on Hundley at the helm :ick: but the premise is the same...  *Jordy Nelson saw more targets (88), than the RBs (which would be Geronimo's spot, with a big IF of course).

Today: I'd take Allison over all those WRs (minus Lockett, but he's gone in my league), and I'll keep an eye on Hansen, but Quincy and Anderson are in front of him.

No thanks to the INDY offense

Too many mouths to feed on that running offense in CHI, and Gabriel is more gimmick

Snead has already fallen on his face, nope

Having watched Wilson in KC :blech:

13 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

Sorry, I must have been editing your post when you quoted me. Seeing Moore play on a weekly basis here in Mizzou country, I wont touch him, but that is just my personal preference.

5th option? If he steps into 2 WR sets, whose he behind? 1) Adams 2) Cobb (if on the field), and 3) TE Graham *maybe, I've seen a lot of mixed reactions from Seattle fans regarding Graham's play, and Rodgers has never been known to target the TE as much as some people seem to believe. That puts Geronimo anywhere from 2nd-3rd in 2 WR sets, and 3-4th in 3 wide + TE package. The WRs saw over 336 targets last year, and the RBs saw 83. Remove Adams' 117 targets, and that leaves 219 targets for the WRs. *granted this was mostly based on Hundley at the helm :ick: but the premise is the same...  *Jordy Nelson saw more targets (88), than the RBs (which would be Geronimo's spot, with a big IF of course).

Today: I'd take Allison over all those WRs (minus Lockett, but he's gone in my league), and I'll keep an eye on Hansen, but Quincy and Anderson are in front of him.

No thanks to the INDY offense

Too many mouths to feed on that running offense in CHI, and Gabriel is more gimmick

Snead has already fallen on his face, nope

Having watched Wilson in KC :blech:

Adams, Cobb, Graham, and Williams or Jones. Again, that's completely ignoring Monty, assuming none of the rookies step up, and that the team doesn't add a vet. 

9 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Adas, Cobb, Graham, and Williams or Jones. Again, that's completely ignoring Monty, assuming none of the rookies step up, and that the team doesn't add a vet. 

...but if Geronimo slides into Nelson's spot, which saw more targets (88) than all RBs combined last season (83), and Rodgers probably checks down less than Hundley. So, I see no less than 4th in the pecking order, and possibly 2nd-3rd! Again, this is all conjecture at this point, but it does show there is variability in each of our projections.

ps: IMHO counting on TY to remain healthy at any position on the field is a reach at this stage of his career.

53 minutes ago, FollowTheLeader said:

...but if Geronimo slides into Nelson's spot, which saw more targets (88) than all RBs combined last season (83), and Rodgers probably checks down less than Hundley. So, I see no less than 4th in the pecking order, and possibly 2nd-3rd! Again, this is all conjecture at this point, but it does show there is variability in each of our projections.

ps: IMHO counting on TY to remain healthy at any position on the field is a reach at this stage of his career.

If it works out, it could certainly be a home run. My only point is that there are a lot more variables still standing between Allison and a starting WR spot. It's still a long shot, but if you like the player, by all means go for it. 

I certainly understand the hesitation, ajs723   :unsure:

...fantasy football is a form of gambling, so sometimes you definitely gotta' take a risk  B)

Either way, beyond my personal intrigue, it will be interesting to see how the GB WRs shake out, and what becomes of Geronimo.

He’s in the discussion for the best value in all of fantasy right now.  

1) he’s set to be an outside starting WR with ARod

2) almost every time he’s filled in for Adams or Jordy he’s produced

3) the starting outside WRs for ARod almost always put up WR2-3 numbers

4) his only competition are 3 Day 3 rookies

I deliberate between Allison and  golloday  as the end of draft stash

Lol. You have him rated over Garcon. 

I thought I was gonna pain myself to read through 18 long comments about geronimo Allison, but you saved me and allowed me to eject early. 

Wake me up if this hits page 2. Maybe I'll read from the top of that page. 

10 hours ago, dashoe said:

Interesting comparison. On one hand, I see KennyG as solidly more talented than Allison, and he has absolutely no one behind him. No one. Plus, Golladay is attached to a better quarterback (that's a joke, relax). Allison has J'Mon Moore, St. Brown, and Valdes-Scantling all vying to steal is job (and I think Moore or St. Brown can do it). But, from another angle, Golden Tate and Marvin Jones are a talented duo proven to be more durable than the Cobb-Adams salad (Tate/Jones have missed a combined 1 game in the past four years), and I'd suggest the Green Bay #1 / #2 are more likely to injure, more likely to open opportunity for the GB #3.

12 hours ago, dashoe said:

Kenny still feels like he's a year away, but for Geronimo it's now or never.

I am thinking it is now.  Probably part of the reason they cut Jordy Nelson is that they were confident that Allison could step up and have a productive season.

12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I am thinking it is now.  Probably part of the reason they cut Jordy Nelson is that they were confident that Allison could step up and have a productive season.

The hypothesis would hold water if GB didn't draft three wide receivers, the only position they felt the need to draft in triplicate.

4 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

The hypothesis would hold water if GB didn't draft three wide receivers, the only position they felt the need to draft in triplicate.

rookie wr's usually have little impact in their 1st year and wr's taken in the 4th -5ht-6th rounds even less. 

Picking 3 wr's in my view means they wanted to add depth and they wanted to rebuild for going forward. They didn't take wr's who would make an immediate impact this season.