FollowTheLeader

Geronimo Allison 2018 Outlook

Just now, ajs723 said:

That's how you feel, but the stats, which I've provided, don't back that up at all. With Rodgers, Cobb has been very good. 80 sounds like the right over under for Cobb receptions. 

He's so good that his team would literally trade him for a sack of potatoes right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

First, that's most assuredly NOT the point you were attempting to make. You were trying to say that Cobb is injury prone. Hence the comparison to Reed, the most notoriously injury prone player in all of football. 

However, since you've now blatantly moved the goalposts, I'll bits. 

As I already pointed out, Cobb played at a 92 catch, 912 yard pace last year with Rodgers. 

The year before, he played at a 75 catch pace in 13 healthy games. 

The year before, he caught 79 passes.

So he's played around an 80 catch per year rate with Rodgers over 2 plus seasons worth of games the last 3 years. 

That may be garbage to you,  but it isn't to me. 

Cobb is injury prone. We all know this. Missing only 3 games when you're on the injury report 40+ percent of the time over that timespan isn't that impressive. 

He has been bad since MNF vs KCC in 2015. The injuries are an excuse, but if you want to pretend that he's been healthy the entire time because he only missed 3 games, that only makes his lack of production even more inexcusable. 

1 minute ago, Blu Exile said:

He's so good that his team would literally trade him for a sack of potatoes right now.

Exactly. If you take Allison's fantasy points per target with Rodgers last year, its better than Cobb's was -- if you want to compare them that way.

2 minutes ago, Blu Exile said:

If you believe that report, I guess. But even so, that's for financial reasons, not because they hate Cobb specifically.

43 minutes ago, CooL said:

I would because I don’t hold WR3s, even if Rodgers is throwing the ball. I’d want a guy who will be on the field and getting a fair amount of targets. Not sure that will happen if Cobb still around.

If Cobb is not cut, I suppose he could still get traded, but I’m not going to stick around long enough with Allison just to find out.

Allison is the outside WR so in two WR sets, which isn't often vs 3 wide, he will still be on the field. Unless I'm wrong...

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Cobb is injury prone. We all know this. Missing only 3 games when you're on the injury report 40+ percent of the time over that timespan isn't that impressive. 

He has been bad since MNF vs KCC in 2015. The injuries are an excuse, but if you want to pretend that he's been healthy the entire time because he only missed 3 games, that only makes his lack of production even more inexcusable. 

There are legitimate criticisms/concerns about Cobb. If he were his 2014/2015 self, he'd be a top 20 WR. He has battled injuries. However, he's not hurt right now, and he's performed well when healthy. 

If you don't trust Cobb, that's fine. You can think he's overvalued, or past his prime, etc. But the idea that he's waiver wire fodder is just over the top self-delusion to justify Allison hype. 

• Like 1

Just now, ajs723 said:

There are legitimate criticisms/concerns about Cobb. If he were his 2014/2015 self, he'd be a top 20 WR. He has battled injuries. However, he's not hurt right now, and he's performed well when healthy. 

If you don't trust Cobb, that's fine. You can think he's overvalued, or past his prime, etc. But the idea that he's waiver wire fodder is just over the top self-delusion to justify Allison hype. 

I never said he was waiver-wire fodder. I said that he's been bad for 2.5 seasons, and that an 80+ catch projection is an extremely shaky bet. 

You naysayers are missing the point.

There is no risk here picking up Allison in this Peyton Manning-esque offense. So what else is there to think about?

The Cobb talk doesn't even matter. If you own Cobb grab Allison as insurance. If you don't own Cobb expect an easy 800, 6-8 TD from Allison with room for more if Cobb faulters or misses any games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobb gets cut, Adams and Allison plays 2 receiver sets, Valdes-Scantling is brought in on 3 wides, Allison moves to the slot

Valdes-Scantling is the field stretcher

Brown and Moore play sparingly

Graham is red zone target only

14 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

Cobb gets cut, Adams and Allison plays 2 receiver sets, Valdes-Scantling is brought in on 3 wides, Allison moves to the slot

So the 6'3" WR with a 4.67 forty is going to be a slot receiver. Why not? Geronimo is a superstar. There's nothing he can't do. 

3 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

So the 6'3" WR with a 4.67 forty is going to be a slot receiver. Why not? Geronimo is a superstar. There's nothing he can't do. 

played slot quite a bit in 2017

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Lining up from the slot, Geronimo Allision showed tremendous chemistry with Aaron Rodgers as his quarterback rolled to his right. After bullying his way through early contact,  Allison read Rodgers’ eyes and found a gaping hole in the coverage. The physical attributes and chemistry with Aaron Rodgers have led some to suggest that Allison could replace teammate Randall Cobb. Indeed, Cobb’s injuries, lackluster production, and large contract have given this argument legs.

23 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Actually there has been quite a lot of talk about him playing some slot here in Packerland.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Actually there has been quite a lot of talk about him playing some slot here in Packerland.

Fair enough. Seems weird to me, but stranger things have happened. 

9 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Fair enough. Seems weird to me, but stranger things have happened. 

Why not right. Thats mismatches for sure and Graham on the outside some formations. This is going to be a nasty offense.

Edited by CABLE87
  • Like 1

Just now, CABLE87 said:

Why not right. Thats mismatches for sure and Graham on the outside some formations. This is going to be a nasty offense.

Agree about the offense. Basically all the starters other than Adams are being undervalued. 

1 hour ago, wendellrott said:

Pretty spot in but I do think graham has a bit more value. 

It will be interesting come tomorrow to see what wrs are kept. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

First, that's most assuredly NOT the point you were attempting to make. You were trying to say that Cobb is injury prone. Hence the comparison to Reed, the most notoriously injury prone player in all of football. 

However, since you've now blatantly moved the goalposts, I'll bite. 

As I already pointed out, Cobb played at a 92 catch, 912 yard pace last year with Rodgers. 

The year before, he played at a 75 catch pace in 13 healthy games. 

The year before, he caught 79 passes.

So he's played around an 80 catch per year rate with Rodgers over 2 plus seasons worth of games the last 3 years. 

That may be garbage to you,  but it isn't to me. 

Talk about moving the goalposts. A few posts up and he was a LOCK for 80+ catches, now he’s got a chance at 80 based off of projecting out paces based on his own and his teammates health. And he’s still below 80 for 2 of the 3 years you cited. Not exactly rock-hard evidence...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HAzE024 said:

Talk about moving the goalposts. A few posts up and he was a LOCK for 80+ catches, now he’s got a chance at 80 based off of projecting out paces based on his own and his teammates health. And he’s still below 80 for 2 of the 3 years you cited. Not exactly rock-hard evidence...

[Vulgar language removed]

If Cobb and Rodgers play 16 games together, I'd bet on Cobb finishing with 80 receptions. Again, given that he's started over  95% of his games in recent years, I don't think that's a HUGE if. 

It also doesn't mean I think he's a superstar. Cobb is a volume player I'm merely predicting 5 catches a game.

Barring an injury or something strange, we should expect Cobb to end the year with something like 80 catches, 850 yards, and 5 TDs. 

Good WR3ish numbers. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Vulgar language removed.

Looking back on the last couple seasons when Rodgers had Adams, Nelson, & Cobb together, it seems that the Packers 3rd best receiver would still have about 60 catches. Tight ends combined for about 65 catches, which might be about right for Graham this year. Allison should have standalone WR3 value, with a chance for solid WR2 numbers if Cobb gets released. Only a few more hours & we’ll find out where he stands

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Looking back on the last couple seasons when Rodgers had Adams, Nelson, & Cobb together, it seems that the Packers 3rd best receiver would still have about 60 catches. Tight ends combined for about 65 catches, which might be about right for Graham this year. Allison should have standalone WR3 value, with a chance for solid WR2 numbers if Cobb gets released. Only a few more hours & we’ll find out where he stands

This

Allison is a good bet to finish as a top-30 WR this year.

• Like 1

So the Pack announced their final 53.  Guess Cobb still stays.  I'm going to find it hard to keep this guy rostered.  Hoping for a Cobb trade, it can still happen, right?

4 hours ago, CooL said:

So the Pack announced their final 53.  Guess Cobb still stays.  I'm going to find it hard to keep this guy rostered.  Hoping for a Cobb trade, it can still happen, right?

Doesn't need to happen...hope this news makes Allison cheaper to acquire.

I don't expect Cobb to go anywhere since Rogers needs a veteran target for a WR.  Cobb plays the slot though.   This was more about who's taking over the Jordy Nelson role in which it seems Allison is in line for.