DropkickAlex

ESPN adds 200 minor leaguers to leagues

2 hours ago, hypeiz4real said:

Thinking about having a supplemental draft for the league I run for just the players added so that they're evenly divided up.  Anyone else kick the tires on that yet?  Or is it better to just let the chips fall where they may and have the guys asleep at the wheel miss out?

Yep. We're doing it. See my previous post above yours. We're also probably not relying on the ESPN player pool any longer. It sounds in their release that they are going to do this randomly from time to time going forward and I don't want to play that "will they, won't they" game with them.

This is such poor management of their platform and technological incompetence by ESPN. It is not that difficult to add top players/prospects to the pool on a website. This creates havoc/competitive balance issues in keeper dynasty formats. As much as I appreciate how they handled Ohtani (treat him as one player, not a SP/DH split) this unfortunately is a major problem such that I'd want off this platform unless they come up with a fix next year. 

• Like 1

Well, the dam has burst. What are we doing? If I had to rank the newbies gun-to-head I'd do it:

1. Whitley

2. Bichette

3. Gore

4. Baez

5. Greene

6. McKay

7. Paddack

8. Suarez

9. Anderson

10. Duplantier

Every single one of them was added off waivers.

11. Graterol

12. Ramos

13. Canning

14. Manning

15. Ortiz

This tier might still be available depending on league / bench size.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

Well, the dam has burst. What are we doing? If I had to rank the newbies gun-to-head I'd do it:

1. Whitley

2. Bichette

3. Gore

4. Baez

5. Greene

6. McKay

7. Paddack

8. Suarez

9. Anderson

10. Duplantier

Every single one of them was added off waivers.

11. Graterol

12. Ramos

13. Canning

14. Manning

15. Ortiz

This tier might still be available depending on league / bench size.

I had a similar ranking. Sadly I burned my #4 waiver priority on Bieber. Who would’ve thought ESPN would add 200 players a week or two later? Oh well

With my #16 waiver priority (out of 16 teams) I was able to get Baez, Paddack and Suarez. Every other player in your first tier was taken except Duplantier, and every player in your second tier is still available. All and all I’m happy that I got who I got. I’m assuming not everyone in the league was aware of all these additions because only 7 or 8 of us picked up players.

What are your thoughts on Duplantier? I think he’s hurt right now but do you think he’s worth a pick up in a deep dynasty league? My worst players are DeShields and Jankowski. I’d be dropping one of them for Duplantier.

Edited by DaBirds12
Grammar mistake

That's an awesome haul for the dead-last waiver priority in a deep league. I had #14 (out of 16) and got Greene and Paddack.

Granted, durability is an ever-present issue when scouting arms, but there's heightened risk with Duplantier. At the risk of venturing into BC territory, I'd say you're set with the three arms you just grabbed.

7 hours ago, DaBirds12 said:

What are your thoughts on Duplantier? I think he’s hurt right now but do you think he’s worth a pick up in a deep dynasty league? My worst players are DeShields and Jankowski. I’d be dropping one of them for Duplantier.

I realize you aren't asking for my opinion, specifically, but I have a thought on Dup - plus, the kid went to HS in my area so I'm definitely rooting for him in real life.

Crazy talent, but the durability concerns are very real. Yes, he's been more durable over the last year - but he's hurt again now. If I had to bet his long-term outlook as either a starter or reliever, I'd bet reliever due to his frame/durability. I view him as a high-end trade chip. In the end, I hope he becomes a long-term frontline starter but I just don't see it. Besides, a four-pitch mix isn't a guarantee to start anyway.

As for the discussions surrounding platforms, Fantrax is easily the most comprehensive prospect database. And as someone might have mentioned earlier, their player-add-request process is very easy and timely for the rare times a signed prospect isn't in their player database. The platform itself is also very dynasty-friendly with full roster carryovers, offseason (and even in-season) draft options, dedicated minors rosters, etc.

Yahoo's player database is vastly improved now than it was a couple years ago but it's dynasty functionality is still a platform issue.

I haven't played on CBS in about a decade, so I have zero thoughts on it now. ESPN, as everyone already knows, is clearly not a go-to platform for dynasty leagues - and probably won't be for some time, especially if they start deviating from their normal MO in middle of the fantasy season to bulk-add prospects in a manner that they never did before. At the very least, they should announce plans for such player adds outside of the standard debut add.

29 minutes ago, txrngr34 said:

I realize you aren't asking for my opinion, specifically, but I have a thought on Dup - plus, the kid went to HS in my area so I'm definitely rooting for him in real life.

Crazy talent, but the durability concerns are very real. Yes, he's been more durable over the last year - but he's hurt again now. If I had to bet his long-term outlook as either a starter or reliever, I'd bet reliever due to his frame/durability. I view him as a high-end trade chip. In the end, I hope he becomes a long-term frontline starter but I just don't see it. Besides, a four-pitch mix isn't a guarantee to start anyway.

As for the discussions surrounding platforms, Fantrax is easily the most comprehensive prospect database. And as someone might have mentioned earlier, their player-add-request process is very easy and timely for the rare times a signed prospect isn't in their player database. The platform itself is also very dynasty-friendly with full roster carryovers, offseason (and even in-season) draft options, dedicated minors rosters, etc.

Yahoo's player database is vastly improved now than it was a couple years ago but it's dynasty functionality is still a platform issue.

I haven't played on CBS in about a decade, so I have zero thoughts on it now. ESPN, as everyone already knows, is clearly not a go-to platform for dynasty leagues - and probably won't be for some time, especially if they start deviating from their normal MO in middle of the fantasy season to bulk-add prospects in a manner that they never did before. At the very least, they should announce plans for such player adds outside of the standard debut add.

Or grant people the opportunity to request a guy be added to be claimed. I sat on the #1 all year hoping Whitley got called up this fall. It was hard not to add Bieber when he was called up because I didn't wanna eat my #1 WW spot if Whit or someone I wanted didn't get the call. However, if I knew I could request a guy by filling out a form and listing the player, his minor league team, and major league affiliate or whatever then I'd know I'm not gonna eat it. Just random adding a random assortment of guys in the middle of the season is almost worse than not adding them until the following season. They should not have deviated from their standard MO of not adding a guy until called up/playing in his first MLB game. 

Especially when guys like Bichette, Greene, Gore were passed over initially. Hampson, Hiura, Kirilloff, Royce Lewis, Alex Hansen, others are still not available. 

Still pissed I didn’t see Bo until it was too late. Guy picking last got McKay and Bo. I ended up with Gore and would’ve had Bo. Oh well, still have Senzel and Mejia as prospects and probably wouldn’t carry four total. 

On 6/8/2018 at 2:21 PM, hypeiz4real said:

I could not agree more.  In a deep 18 team keeper, had the no. 2 and burned it on Lauer because I didn't want to play the September call-up game again this year.  Had I held I would have had Whitley or Bichette.  I'm not overly worked up about it, it's just...well...stupid.  To be fair I'm willing to bet the complaining (assuming others have given I have) I'm sure came from many people that post here had something to do with ESPN doing the mass dump. 

Thinking about having a supplemental draft for the league I run for just the players added so that they're evenly divided up.  Anyone else kick the tires on that yet?  Or is it better to just let the chips fall where they may and have the guys asleep at the wheel miss out?

Stupid idea that's what you get for adding lauer, sucker. 

Almost my entire league slept on Bichette and Whitley except for one guy and he got them both on waivers.  I was checking out our league page and saw them added in transactions and was like WTF!  I need Hiura asap.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:21 AM, sngehl01 said:

Stupid idea that's what you get for adding lauer, sucker. 

Luckily I'm running circles around the bozos in my league and was able to grab the #3 and 4 guys on my board. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, amcsoldier said:

I'm furious about this. They've never done such a large dump in June before. If a guy wasn't in the system, he was almost always added only once he was called up. Therefore teams make waiver decisions based on this understanding. 

Case in point: I used the #1 claim on Luis Castillo a month ago, based on an understanding  that currently unavailable prospects like Whitley wouldn't be added unless called up. I chose to roll the dice.

If I had known that 200 players were going to be added in June, I would never  have added Castillo! And how could I have known - it's literally  never been done and wasn't announced preseason. Now I've  got the 14th claim, so bye bye everyone  worth adding!

I'm done with ESPN. Dynasty leagues can't function if the underlying system is subject to unpredictable and unannounced changes. Clearly the ESPN team does not understand dynasty leagues at all. 

My gripe is worse than that. I have a high waiver claim in my dynasty league and could have gottten a McKay or another big prospect but didn’t realize ESPN was doing this mass post MLB draft add this year (neither did a lot of others since he went to the guy with the 13th claim). The few people that were obsessing over checking waivers got rewarded with a bunch of guys.

Edited by AllWrightNow

On 6/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, amcsoldier said:

That's an awesome haul for the dead-last waiver priority in a deep league. I had #14 (out of 16) and got Greene and Paddack.

Granted, durability is an ever-present issue when scouting arms, but there's heightened risk with Duplantier. At the risk of venturing into BC territory, I'd say you're set with the three arms you just grabbed.

Thanks. You got an awesome haul too. I actually ended up picking up Duplantier too dropping Michael Pineda. Think long term it was the best move. Hopefully when Pineda gets closer to returning I can scoop him back up.