My Dinner With Andre

LeBron James 2018-19 Season Thread

6 hours ago, larfboy said:

As presently constructed, this Lakers team will handle the Nuggets in 5 or 6 games...if they gel, they will give Houston a run for their money...but we can all agree that Warriors will likely handle them in 5 or 6 games 

You’re missing the point because I only brought up the nuggets as a hypothecal to show how much different the West is than the east.  Where a team in the west that missed the playoffs is better than most teams in the east. Consequently LeBrons march to the WCF won’t be nearly

as easy as his march to the ECF.  You read way into the nuggets hypothetical because  in reality they won’t face the nuggets as they will both be low seeds. 

I dont think they will give Houston a run for its money particularly if they sign Melo but even if they don’t.  What you guys don’t understand is that these older teams were constructed with a purpose with each piece carefully handcrafted to serve a role.  Houston wanted CP3/Harden to play D’Antoni ball and because Harden is an ideal player according to Daryl Morey because all of his points come from either beyond the arch or from the line.  His ideal team has one big and four shooters which took years to craft.

I think the Lakers would even struggle against the Jazz.  If you read any SLC beat reporters Lindsey has stated that they know they aren’t an ideal FA destination so instead of focusing on attracting star offensive players they focused on getting key defensive players.  The Rubio trade is one they’ve wanted to do for years because they have him as a top 3 defensive point guard.

The point being these teams were built with purpose to mesh together while the Lakers weren’t.  The Lakers merely added LeBron to a young developing team.

You wouldn’t intentionally construct a roster like this because it doesn’t make sense.  Ball/Rondo don’t make sense because LeBron handles the ball and they can’t shoot.  Ingram/Kuzma are a few years out when LeBron only has four years left. Sure he hasn’t declined yet but he can’t cheat time forever. If you recall both Dirk and Duncan were 90% of their prime until they weren’t. Then one year they just sucked and faded into the twilight.  It’s not always a gradual process. LeBron is on a team that is four years away when he has four years left in the league.  Particularly when the Warriors will eventually crumble as all dynasties do but they’ll probably be around for four more years.  

*IF the Lakers can make some trades they have potential to make some noise.  But I just heard that Kawhi is going to the Raptors.  Ok I’ll believe that they have some master plan when they show me that they do.  

In any any case I’ll bet even money that the Lakers don’t make it to the WCF this year.  Takers?

1 hour ago, StifleTower2 said:

You’re missing the point because I only brought up the nuggets as a hypothecal to show how much different the West is than the east.  Where a team in the west that missed the playoffs is better than most teams in the east. Consequently LeBrons march to the WCF won’t be nearly

as easy as his march to the ECF.  You read way into the nuggets hypothetical because  in reality they won’t face the nuggets as they will both be low seeds. 

I dont think they will give Houston a run for its money particularly if they sign Melo but even if they don’t.  What you guys don’t understand is that these older teams were constructed with a purpose with each piece carefully handcrafted to serve a role.  Houston wanted CP3/Harden to play D’Antoni ball and because Harden is an ideal player according to Daryl Morey because all of his points come from either beyond the arch or from the line.  His ideal team has one big and four shooters which took years to craft.

I think the Lakers would even struggle against the Jazz.  If you read any SLC beat reporters Lindsey has stated that they know they aren’t an ideal FA destination so instead of focusing on attracting star offensive players they focused on getting key defensive players.  The Rubio trade is one they’ve wanted to do for years because they have him as a top 3 defensive point guard.

The point being these teams were built with purpose to mesh together while the Lakers weren’t.  The Lakers merely added LeBron to a young developing team.

You wouldn’t intentionally construct a roster like this because it doesn’t make sense.  Ball/Rondo don’t make sense because LeBron handles the ball and they can’t shoot.  Ingram/Kuzma are a few years out when LeBron only has four years left. Sure he hasn’t declined yet but he can’t cheat time forever. If you recall both Dirk and Duncan were 90% of their prime until they weren’t. Then one year they just sucked and faded into the twilight.  It’s not always a gradual process. LeBron is on a team that is four years away when he has four years left in the league.  Particularly when the Warriors will eventually crumble as all dynasties do but they’ll probably be around for four more years.  

*IF the Lakers can make some trades they have potential to make some noise.  But I just heard that Kawhi is going to the Raptors.  Ok I’ll believe that they have some master plan when they show me that they do.  

In any any case I’ll bet even money that the Lakers don’t make it to the WCF this year.  Takers?

I only said Lakers would handle the Nuggets because you kept bringing them up as if they are seriously a top 4 team in the league...Lakers and Pelinka have already stated that this team has been designed to be a defensive monster rather than conform to the continuing run and gun 3pt or die trend happening in the NBA as the Warriors have composed a roster too great to beat at their own game.

I’m sure that Lebron didn’t just come for the lure of LA without any basketball championship aspirations. You really think Lebron Magic and Pelinka just agreed to pay Lebron 154 million dollars to come and mentor the youth? You really think they brought in these players just to be coaches. If so, why not have Magic, the greatest PG of all time mentor Lonzo rather than Rondo?

We never said that the Lebron and lakers would make it to the WCF but we said that they are a dark horse to make it...Houston doesn’t look like they improved on their team by losing Ariza and possibly Capela, two key pieces to their team. That 2nd spot for the WCF is pretty wide open if Houston can’t retain Capela. It’s easy to bet against Lakers to make the WCF, why not bet on Denver to make it instead?

2 minutes ago, larfboy said:

I only said Lakers would handle the Nuggets because you kept bringing them up as if they are seriously a top 4 team in the league...Lakers and Pelinka have already stated that this team has been designed to be a defensive monster rather than conform to the continuing run and gun 3pt or die trend happening in the NBA as the Warriors have composed a roster too great to beat at their own game.

I’m sure that Lebron didn’t just come for the lure of LA without any basketball championship aspirations. You really think Lebron Magic and Pelinka just agreed to pay Lebron 154 million dollars to come and mentor the youth? You really think they brought in these players just to be coaches. If so, why not have Magic, the greatest PG of all time mentor Lonzo rather than Rondo?

We never said that the Lebron and lakers would make it to the WCF but we said that they are a dark horse to make it...Houston doesn’t look like they improved on their team by losing Ariza and possibly Capela, two key pieces to their team. That 2nd spot for the WCF is pretty wide open if Houston can’t retain Capela. It’s easy to bet against Lakers to make the WCF, why not bet on Denver to make it instead?

I’m sure LeBron et al have a “plan”.  I don’t doubt that for one second.  What I doubt is the viability of that plan.  Kawhi might have been a part of that plan but it appears as if that ship has sailed.  There’s what the Lakers would like to do, what all 29 other GMs are going to compete to stop them from doing, and what will actually happen is somewhere in the middle.  

I get that you’re excited about LeBron coming to presumably your favorite team.  But you’re acting like someone who got a puppy and subsequently neglects his dogs.  There are 8 more established veteran playoff teams in the West.  This ain’t the east.  Every team that makes it in the West has a legit claim.

The Lakers as presently constructed are a Frankenstein’s monster of a team.  It has two heads (LeBron and Rondo) who are bound to hate each other and somehow a third head in Ball whose father is a joke and a disruption.  It has two arms in KCP, makes sense. Four legs at the forward position and no center.  It’s not a good team.  Even if it has talent it will take more than a year to gel and LeBron has limited years in the tank.  

Finally, that’s a dumb bet and a complete misunderstanding of what I’m saying.  Forget Denver.  That’s just one team I mentioned.  8 playoff teams stand in the way of LeBron and the wcf.  I don’t know what one will beat him but I do believe one of them will.  You’re the one that proposed that the Lakers were a dark horse and I am merely responding to that.  As you’re the one who proposed that they are a dark horse the burden of proof is on you to prove it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I’m sure LeBron et al have a “plan”.  I don’t doubt that for one second.  What I doubt is the viability of that plan.  Kawhi might have been a part of that plan but it appears as if that ship has sailed.  There’s what the Lakers would like to do, what all 29 other GMs are going to compete to stop them from doing, and what will actually happen is somewhere in the middle.  

I get that you’re excited about LeBron coming to presumably your favorite team.  But you’re acting like someone who got a puppy and subsequently neglects his dogs.  There are 8 more established veteran playoff teams in the West.  This ain’t the east.  Every team that makes it in the West has a legit claim.

The Lakers as presently constructed are a Frankenstein’s monster of a team.  It has two heads (LeBron and Rondo) who are bound to hate each other and somehow a third head in Ball whose father is a joke and a disruption.  It has two arms in KCP, makes sense. Four legs at the forward position and no center.  It’s not a good team.  Even if it has talent it will take more than a year to gel and LeBron has limited years in the tank.  

Finally, that’s a dumb bet and a complete misunderstanding of what I’m saying.  Forget Denver.  That’s just one team I mentioned.  8 playoff teams stand in the way of LeBron and the wcf.  I don’t know what one will beat him but I do believe one of them will.  You’re the one that proposed that the Lakers were a dark horse and I am merely responding to that.  As you’re the one who proposed that they are a dark horse the burden of proof is on you to prove it.  

Please keep this surface and try not to get emotional with this debate. This is a mere disagreement on what we think Lebron and Lakers are gonna be capable of with this team. There’s no reason for you to start pulling childish similes in a harmless debate. You think that Lakers will not be favored against any WC playoff team, I think they should be against at least a few. Utah I can see causing problems for Lakers however to call them clear favorites is tough. I even give you Minnesota. But Okc, San Antonio, Portland, new Orleans? I can’t imagine any of them being clearly favored of the Lakers.  We agree to disagree. 

8 minutes ago, larfboy said:

Please keep this surface and try not to get emotional with this debate. This is a mere disagreement on what we think Lebron and Lakers are gonna be capable of with this team. There’s no reason for you to start pulling childish similes in a harmless debate. You think that Lakers will not be favored against any WC playoff team, I think they should be against at least a few. Utah I can see causing problems for Lakers however to call them clear favorites is tough. I even give you Minnesota. But Okc, San Antonio, Portland, new Orleans? I can’t imagine any of them being clearly favored of the Lakers.  We agree to disagree. 

San Antonio might be the team that the Lakers supplant to get to the playoffs.  Portland,  New Orleans, OKC I think it will be close.  The others I agree with.  But you’re right the argument has gone full circle. 

Edited by StifleTower2

I think people are mistaken how Lebron is going to be used. He needs to play more without the ball. I think him playing with legit ball handlers will be the best thing for his career.

my prediction is this: the lakers start off struggling, continue to struggle, somewhere around the 20-30 game mark Bron realizes the Lakers aren't gonna make the playoffs if he coasts like last season, so he goes hard the rest of the season to earn a 7 or 8 seed. Then he doesn't have enough in the tank to beat Houston or GS, so the lakers get swept and the King is watching the second round from his couch.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 6:08 PM, Auction>Snake said:

I can see Houston choking, Harden still hasn't proved himself when it's all on the line. CP3 is a walking injury, and they lost Ariza. Not to mention the Capela situation. Lakers are a huge dark horse to make the conference finals. 

Warriors will take one spot in the WCF.  Let's say Houston chokes;  OKC, Utah, San Antonio, Wolves, Pelicans and Denver are still there.   If everyone is healthy, I cannot see Lakers beating OKC or Utah in 7 game series. Even beating San Antonio would be a challenge  with McGee as your starting C defending Aldridge

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Warriors will take one spot in the WCF.  Let's say Houston chokes;  OKC, Utah, San Antonio, Wolves, Pelicans and Denver are still there.   If everyone is healthy, I cannot see Lakers beating OKC or Utah in 7 game series. Even beating San Antonio would be a challenge  with McGee as your starting C defending Aldridge

Lakers would crush the Thunder, come on man. LA isn't making it out of the second round in all likelihood though, and I can see them choking and losing in the first even if they get a 3-4 seed

27 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Lakers would crush the Thunder, come on man. LA isn't making it out of the second round in all likelihood though, and I can see them choking and losing in the first even if they get a 3-4 seed

Wishful thinking still does not remove Adams vs McGee matchup. Lakers might make it to WCF once Kawhi signs. OKC and Utah will only get better. Same with Denver 

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bplus said:

my prediction is this: the lakers start off struggling, continue to struggle, somewhere around the 20-30 game mark Bron realizes the Lakers aren't gonna make the playoffs if he coasts like last season, so he goes hard the rest of the season to earn a 7 or 8 seed. Then he doesn't have enough in the tank to beat Houston or GS, so the lakers get swept and the King is watching the second round from his couch.

Sure Lebron may not have the shooters on his team and it's a possibility that the Lakers struggle at first and Lebron turns it up like he did last year and they make it as a 7th or 8th seed based on your assumptions. But WHAT IF everything clicks for LA or Lebron is able to make this team work as he has done numerous times before(he is arguably the goat at making teams work dating back to his early Cavs teams all the way to last years Cavs team) and all your assumptions that they will struggle/team doesn't fit goes out the window. What then?

26 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Wishful thinking still does not remove Adams vs McGee matchup. Lakers might make it to WCF once Kawhi signs. OKC and Utah will only get better. Same with Denver 

and Steven Adams is suddenly going to be an offensive force and is going to be the reason OKC should be considered favorites vs Lebron and the Lakers?? cmon guys...

Last time I checked, Lebron beat Toronto and Boston in a 7 game series...with Henny Smith and co. KLove was nice but this Laker team will run laps around last year's Cavs...so just wondering, where do you guys rank Toronto and Boston in the Western Conference?

32 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

So you think an average starting center is going to singlehandedly win the series for OKC? Lol. Try again. 

8 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

So you think an average starting center is going to singlehandedly win the series for OKC? Lol. Try again. 

Yep. Average starting center is enough vs McGee

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Yep. Average starting center is enough vs McGee

Some lazy Laker hating on your part. Be better. 

• Like 1

Lakers clearly have a plan. It’s just not meant for this year.

They could have gotten Leonard but didn’t sell the farm because they clearly believe they can get him next season. Yes they thought the same with PG but he wasn’t this stubborn nor this clear where he wants to be. They signed a bunch of dudes to one year. Clearly they’re aiming to compete in 2019-2020 not 2018-2019.

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, larfboy said:

Sure Lebron may not have the shooters on his team and it's a possibility that the Lakers struggle at first and Lebron turns it up like he did last year and they make it as a 7th or 8th seed based on your assumptions. But WHAT IF everything clicks for LA or Lebron is able to make this team work as he has done numerous times before(he is arguably the goat at making teams work dating back to his early Cavs teams all the way to last years Cavs team) and all your assumptions that they will struggle/team doesn't fit goes out the window. What then?

and Steven Adams is suddenly going to be an offensive force and is going to be the reason OKC should be considered favorites vs Lebron and the Lakers?? cmon guys...

Last time I checked, Lebron beat Toronto and Boston in a 7 game series...with Henny Smith and co. KLove was nice but this Laker team will run laps around last year's Cavs...so just wondering, where do you guys rank Toronto and Boston in the Western Conference?

Then my prediction was wrong??? Im not saying its an absolute fact that they struggle, im not sitting in front of a crystal ball. But even if he gets everyone working, no ones ego is bruised, and everything is clicking 100% as well as it can with the roster they have, the best i see is a top 4 finish in the west and losing to the warriors in the wcf

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bplus said:

Then my prediction was wrong??? Im not saying its an absolute fact that they struggle, im not sitting in front of a crystal ball. But even if he gets everyone working, no ones ego is bruised, and everything is clicking 100% as well as it can with the roster they have, the best i see is a top 4 finish in the west and losing to the warriors in the wcf

That would be an accomplishment. I doubt they plan to contend as do most logical Laker fans (all 5 of them). Like I mentioned, next year is the goal when more stars hit FA and the young core develops.

6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Lakers clearly have a plan. It’s just not meant for this year.

They could have gotten Leonard but didn’t sell the farm because they clearly believe they can get him next season. Yes they thought the same with PG but he wasn’t this stubborn nor this clear where he wants to be. They signed a bunch of dudes to one year. Clearly they’re aiming to compete in 2019-2020 not 2018-2019.

Magic has stated multiple times that it's a "two summer" plan, this one and next. The only players on the books next summer are LeBron and the 5 young players on cheap rookie deals. There will be cap space to add another max FA (Kawhi) plus ring-chasing vets. That's Part 2. This summer is Part 1.

The only significance of this summer is that the narrative for some has shifted from they're the worst team in the league to they won't win the title this year. Of course they won't win it this year. Who cares? It was never part of the plan.

12 minutes ago, bplus said:

Yes, and i think the consensus will agree to that. 4th seed with all cylinders clicking sounds right with GSW Houston Utah ahead of them. I was just pointing out the fact that this outcome should not be ruled out like it has been by several of our fellow members here. I dont think anyone here says expects them to beat the warriors this season...nobody is beating the warriors this season unless something happens to steph AND kd.. 

1 minute ago, Kaboom said:

Magic has stated multiple times that it's a "two summer" plan, this one and next. The only players on the books next summer are LeBron and the 5 young players on cheap rookie deals. There will be cap space to add another max FA (Kawhi) plus ring-chasing vets. That's Part 2. This summer is Part 1.

The only significance of this summer is that the narrative for some has shifted from they're the worst team in the league to they won't win the title this year. Of course they won't win it this year. Who cares? It was never part of the plan.

This is the weight that Lebron James carries. With great power comes great responsibilities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

This is the weight that Lebron James carries. With great power comes great responsibilities.

More like people find reasons to hate him just because. You’re delusional if you expect him to get to the finals with what he has.

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

More like people find reasons to hate him just because. You’re delusional if you expect him to get to the finals with what he has.

I am not delusional and I don't expect him to.  But others do.  Lebron has undergone more expectational burden over the past 20 years than anyone I can think of in any sport.  If you want my opinion on LBJ you can go back and read my multiple posts in this thread. 

10 minutes ago, larfboy said:

Yes, and i think the consensus will agree to that. 4th seed with all cylinders clicking sounds right with GSW Houston Utah ahead of them. I was just pointing out the fact that this outcome should not be ruled out like it has been by several of our fellow members here. I dont think anyone here says expects them to beat the warriors this season...nobody is beating the warriors this season unless something happens to steph AND kd.. 

AND Boogie, GS isnt going anywhere for a while. You can never count out lebron, if you didnt know that before he made sure you knew it last season. all im saying is i dont see them doing much after the regular season ends, if theyre even still playing. ive argued with enough lakers fans that think theyre gonna be raising a banner in 11 months, ive had to dumb down my arguments for them

1 minute ago, bplus said:

AND Boogie, GS isnt going anywhere for a while. You can never count out lebron, if you didnt know that before he made sure you knew it last season. all im saying is i dont see them doing much after the regular season ends, if theyre even still playing. ive argued with enough lakers fans that think theyre gonna be raising a banner in 11 months, ive had to dumb down my arguments for them

I only left Boogie out cause...he's already out 

53 minutes ago, bplus said:

I don't think I know a single Laker fan that thinks the team has any chance at a championship this season