RMJ_12

2018 Biggest Busts

33 minutes ago, Mattice1 said:

Whatever. The topic here is not Cam versus tyrod. So move on with that. What is your projection for Josh Gordon given tyrod has never thrown for more than 3100 yds? How much do you see that increasing with the browns? 

I guess that depends how you interpret his time in Buffalo.

One of the following is likely true:

1. This was simply the Buffalo offensive scheme. They wanted to feature Shady and be a running team. Get to the cold weather, and grind it out.

2. Buffalo would have rather had a more balanced attack, but they built their scheme around Tyrod and his lack of ability. 

Personally, I like Tyrod. I think he's a good player, and only needs more attempts than Buff afforded him. That being said, I think Mayfield will be better for Gordon once he gets his feet wet. 

While Tyrod plays though, Gordon will see less targets than his insane 2013. He's not a guy that needs to be fed the ball though. I can already picture Tyrod scrambling out of the pocket, extending the play, and finding Gordon deep for huge plays. 

1 hour ago, Mattice1 said:

Whatever. The topic here is not Cam versus tyrod. So move on with that. What is your projection for Josh Gordon given tyrod has never thrown for more than 3100 yds? How much do you see that increasing with the browns? 

40/2000/20

When Tyrod has a speed guy, he does amazing things on broken plays. Last year the Bill's went so far out of their way to find receivers who didnt work with his skill set, it was unbelievable.

Saquon Barkley won't live up to his hype.

" The big number that illustrates this is that on runs where he was contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage, Barkley averaged just 0.46 yards per carry, which ranked 57th out of 58 qualifying backs in this draft class. "

Edited by ponza88
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Stats bear everything out.  They have no bias or prejudice.

Player A:

58.5% completion

4.6% TD rate

2.7% INT rate

7.3 YPA

Career QB rating: 85.3

5.2 Yards Per Carry

Player B: 

62.4% completion

4.1% TD rate

1.4% INT rate

7.2 TPA

Career QB rating: 91.2

5.5 Yards Per Carry

Which one do you want?

I want the one with 1,791 more passing yards, 25 more passing TDs, 174 more rushing yards, and 7 more rushing TDs over the last 3 years. (Since Tyrod became a starter)

71 + 150 + 17.4 + 42 = 280 fantasy points in a 6pt TD, 25:1 league.

In the past 3 years, Cam Newton has scored 280 more fantasy points than Tyrod Taylor.

For perspective, Tyrod Taylor scored just 250 Fantasy Points in 2017.

Stated another way, if Cam Newton takes the 2018 season off, Tyrod Taylor would still have a challenge to outscore him over the past 4 years.

It would take Tyrod 4 years to accumulate the amount of fantasy points that Cam has in 3.

Stats may not have prejudice, but people do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

I want the one with 1,791 more passing yards, 25 more passing TDs, 174 more rushing yards, and 7 more rushing TDs over the last 3 years. (Since Tyrod became a starter)

71 + 150 + 17.4 + 42 = 280 fantasy points in a 6pt TD, 25:1 league.

In the past 3 years, Cam Newton has scored 280 more fantasy points than Tyrod Taylor.

For perspective, Tyrod Taylor scored just 250 Fantasy Points in 2017.

Stated another way, if Cam Newton takes the 2018 season off, Tyrod Taylor would still have a challenge to outscore him over the past 4 years.

It would take Tyrod 4 years to accumulate the amount of fantasy points that Cam has in 3.

Stats may not have prejudice, but people do.

I'm not talking about fantasy football though.  I simply think that Tyrod is a better real life player.  

You give Tyrod the same passing attempts that Cam gets, and he ends up out playing him.  Hes more efficient with all those attempts.  He turns it over at a lower rate as well.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:00 PM, Axe Elf said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

What are you, Tyrod's cousin or something?

Spin it all you like, Benjamin was a strong WR2 in Carolina and waiver wire fodder in Buffalo.

Based on his numbers through 6 games, Benjamin would have posted 43 receptions for 579 yards and 3 TDs through a full 16 games.

To be fair one of those games (Chargers) was started by Peterman and Benjamin ended up injuring his knee in the first quarter which then lingered for the rest of the year, as well as the Indy game which was played in a snowstorm (he scored a TD anyways).

Also he had 32 475 2 through 8 games in Carolina so it's not exactly a huge drop in production all things considered.

Correction: Peterman and Webb also played the Indy game where they were a whopping 7/16 on the day.

Edited by whatisfootball

11 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Saquon Barkley won't live up to his hype.

" The big number that illustrates this is that on runs where he was contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage, Barkley averaged just 0.46 yards per carry, which ranked 57th out of 58 qualifying backs in this draft class. "

How many defenders were in the box?  Obviously defenders anticipated the run vs a guy like Barkley.  Seems like a very deceiving statistic, really just means he didn't break a long run after being contacted behind the line of scrimmage last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

How many defenders were in the box?  Obviously defenders anticipated the run vs a guy like Barkley.  Seems like a very deceiving statistic, really just means he didn't break a long run after being contacted behind the line of scrimmage last season.

But if it's a repeated occurence... and the person in question's ranking (56/57) is so drastic... that this statistic does hold a little weight.

Look, I'm gonna draft Barkley too in some leagues... but I have reservations about how great he'll end up being on the End of Season Statistics.

I'm a "Show me" type of person though :)

1 minute ago, ponza88 said:

But if it's a repeated occurence... and the person in question's ranking (56/57) is so drastic... that this statistic does hold a little weight.

Look, I'm gonna draft Barkley too in some leagues... but I have reservations about how great he'll end up being on the End of Season Statistics.

I'm a "Show me" type of person though :)

2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

I forgot to add... Good point though RMJ

Edited by ponza88
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

That stat is so useless it’s laughable. It’s a “stylistic indicator”, not a measure of how good a back is.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-understanding-saquon-barkley

Some of this is impacted by the run concepts and scheme employed at Penn State, as well as the fact that their offensive line wasn’t the best in the world. The team placed Barkley on a wide track a lot, giving defenders more time to hit him close to the line of scrimmage. Overall, he was hit at or behind the line on 44.5 percent of his carries, which is higher than all but three other backs in this draft class (one being Nick Chubb).”

I believe Lesean McCoy was last in the NfL in this category last year ... because it has absolutely nothing to do with how “good” a running back is.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, Lord_Varys said:

Lost 3 really good offensive linemen.

Lost a dual threat QB, who can also throw better than any of the QBs they brought in

Worst WR corps in the league.

DND.

The overrating of Tyrod Taylor continues.

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

That stat is so useless it’s laughable. It’s a “stylistic indicator”, not a measure of how good a back is.

I believe Lesean McCoy was last in the NfL in this category last year ... because it has absolutely nothing to do with how “good” a running back is.

Yeah I think it has a little more to do with how good an offensive line was or how many defenders sold out to stop the run.

Edited by RMJ_12

11 minutes ago, Slimzy17 said:

How is he overrated because he can throw better than 2 backup caliber QB's and a 1st round bust who will probably be a backup TE in 4 years?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ponza88 said:

I think it clearly shows some kind of deceiving factor in the data it's trying to provide.  There aren't 56 RB's in college better than Barkley at tying their shoes let alone anything football related.

2 hours ago, Slimzy17 said:

AJ McCaron. Nathan Peterman.  Josh Allen. 

1 hour ago, Lord_Varys said:

AJ McCaron. Nathan Peterman.  Josh Allen. 

Well, in just a short time Nathan Peterman did happen to set a record.

• Haha 1