ponza88

Trying Something New: Drafting Rookie RB's

Hey guys,

It's year 5 of me playing fantasy. For 5 years, I avoided rookies like the plague because they were unproven. Last year, I found myself picking up Hunt off waivers in a lot of my early drafted teams... now I love the idea hah. 

Questions:
1. Is it okay drafting TWO rookie RB's to hedge your bets on one being an electric RB1?
2. Situation is ideal... with that said, would you draft players like Ronald Jones and Rashaad Penny? (I don't want to burn a high draft pick)

3. In your opinion for 2018, what Rookie RB Pairings would you pair? So far, the combo I like is Ronald Jones and Rashaad Penny

Format:
10-12 Teams
PPR

Thank you!

I wouldn't draft a rookie until round 5 or later. You need some guaranteed studs to lay the foundation of your team. The exception would be someone like Barkley in round 1, maybe late round 1 if you're feeling risky. I'd say its a safe bet he'll pan out lol. That being said, you don't always have to draft the rookies to get good pickups. I've played FF for I'd say maybe 12-13 years, and time and time again the league is won in Free agency. The year Corey Dillon blew up in NE (maybe 04'ish I think)- got him in FA. Kamara last year- Got him in FA (I $%&^ you not). I picked up Arian Foster early the year he broke out in Houston- had him as a keeper until he stopped playing well years later. Just keep a close eye on every team for the first few weeks. See who gets the carries and targets- and who doesn't. Then drop your dead weight and grab up FA picks. They don't always pan out- and if your league has FA pick-up limits you really need to make sure you did your homework.

• Like 1

I don't see why you'd go out of your way to draft rookies. If they are best player available, go nuts. 

• Like 1

You drew to an inside straight once and hit it; doesn't mean it's wise to do it every hand.

Wait on rookie RB's until the much later rounds, draft those elite studs early & often. 

• Like 2

In my experience rookie RB's give some of the best value in fantasy football.  But at this point you have to wait and see what happens in preseason.  Hard to say any targets at this point.

• Like 1

My guess is that with the success of rookie RBs last season,  many leagues will overvalue this new crop.   And all it takes is one person to take Guice (or Penny, Jones) in the third round before everyone else says "oh s*it" and goes after the rest.   Depending on your league.

In the mocks I've done I end up with Jones or Michel in the 6th or so.   But I don't expect to be able to to that when my real drafts come around.

Im not that high on Penny this year, draft pedigree yes, but I think he's going to an unfavorable situation.

I wouldn't be looking early, but I like the thought of pairing some rookie RB's when they provide value. Michel, Jones, Guice, Johnson, Freeman, Chubb.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with gambling on guys at the right price IMO. My favorite is probably Royce Freeman as I think Denver with Keenum could be a solid offense while WAS and NYG could struggle due to OL/QB issues. Kerryon Johnson is pretty cheap in Detroit as well but will be shoehorned by Riddick and Blount on 3rd down and at the GL it looks like. 

12 hours ago, ccimore said:

Saquon Barkley says hi.

I think the point is taking rookie RBs that don't have a round 1 ADP

• Like 1