Gohawks

Kawhi Leonard 2018-19 Season Thread

siakam showing kawhi is expendable. honestly if he wants to sit out these games raptors just obliging so they can please him so he resigns. 

What is with this face punching crap?  It’s a little awkward, can we be normal?

ive seen like 3-4 posts about punching him in the face, what’re you 7?

Edited by nospmoht04
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

the NBA has turned into a joke, and Adam Silver has to fix it. The rest games (which now have new wording "load management") to the constant GTD etc have made the league such a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, aMediumPace said:

For the ones of you with jobs, call your boss in the morning and tell them you aren’t coming in tomorrow. There is nothing wrong with you, you just don’t feel like coming in because you’re saving yourself for a higher paying job somewhere else.  And say by the way , I’m gonna not come in next Monday, Wednesday, or Friday , either. See how that goes for you. 

It is well documented that this at the request of his employer, the Raptors. Your comparison makes little to no sense - of course if my work told me to stay home I would. The Raptors have some new sports medicine scientist who developed this plan to ensure Kawhi is ready for playoffs. Look it up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bksm said:

the NBA has turned into a joke, and Adam Silver has to fix it. The rest games (which now have new wording "load management") to the constant GTD etc have made the league such a joke. 

I agree to an extent but the salary cap and the amount of $$ invested in these top players will control how the NBA operates, like how any superstar can basically choose where they want to play while under contract. I know it sucks since we own Kawhi on a fantasy team, but think we would all do the same if we were in his position, to be paid max $ in the offseason. For example, look at Cousins, he was in his contract year when he got injured, had to settle for MLE, also Isaiah Thomas (minimum 2mil)

• Like 1

So are you guys riding waves of optimism or pessimism post-ASB with Kawhi?  On the one hand, I see the need for team chemistry and flow warranting a more consistent Leonard presence as they go for the championship, and perhaps he and the medical team will feel more confident re. playing fewer rest days; but on the other hand, it's easier to presume things will carry on as they have been, especially since they're still winning games without him.  What say you keen feelers and observers? 

3 minutes ago, Nica4two said:

So are you guys riding waves of optimism or pessimism post-ASB with Kawhi?  On the one hand, I see the need for team chemistry and flow warranting a more consistent Leonard presence as they go for the championship, and perhaps he and the medical team will feel more confident re. playing fewer rest days; but on the other hand, it's easier to presume things will carry on as they have been, especially since they're still winning games without him.  What say you keen feelers and observers? 

I’m inclined to say maintain the status quo... unless they start losing games and feel the need to go for the top seed, there isn’t much reason for them to change the way they’ve handled the situation

On 2/14/2019 at 8:41 AM, bksm said:

So what should they do, force the raptors to play their best lineup every single game no matter what? Why would they push their players to exhaustion to play meaningless games now instead of waiting for the playoffs? Any smart team would do the same, and considering the raptors are in 2nd I think they might know what they're doing.

We get it, you drafted Kawhi and are upset, but this is 100% on you not on the raptors, or Kawhi, or Adam silver. He played 9 games all of last season even after getting cleared by his teams medical staff. Anyone who pays any attention could have told you this is exactly what you were going to get with Kawhi. In fact, one could even argue he's played more games than expected. You need to man up and shoulder the blame not blame others for a decision that you made on your own.

• Thanks 4

8 hours ago, stay_woke said:

So what should they do, force the raptors to play their best lineup every single game no matter what? Why would they push their players to exhaustion to play meaningless games now instead of waiting for the playoffs? Any smart team would do the same, and considering the raptors are in 2nd I think they might know what they're doing.

We get it, you drafted Kawhi and are upset, but this is 100% on you not on the raptors, or Kawhi, or Adam silver. He played 9 games all of last season even after getting cleared by his teams medical staff. Anyone who pays any attention could have told you this is exactly what you were going to get with Kawhi. In fact, one could even argue he's played more games than expected. You need to man up and shoulder the blame not blame others for a decision that you made on your own.

Nah.

Theres a difference between resting a few nights every once in a while. Sitting a third of your teams games prior to the All-Star break is not normal.

Pop will rest players a ton and manipulate the system to an extent, but I doubt many coaches and front offices go into the season and say, yeah, let’s rest that dude and have him only play in 50 games

this is unprecedented. The Raptors May be “calling the shots” but let’s be real, they are acquiescing to Kawhi so they have a chance to re-sign him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimithing11 said:

Nah.

Theres a difference between resting a few nights every once in a while. Sitting a third of your teams games prior to the All-Star break is not normal.

Pop will rest players a ton and manipulate the system to an extent, but I doubt many coaches and front offices go into the season and say, yeah, let’s rest that dude and have him only play in 50 games

this is unprecedented. The Raptors May be “calling the shots” but let’s be real, they are acquiescing to Kawhi so they have a chance to re-sign him. 

9 hours ago, stay_woke said:

Although I completely understand where Stay Woke is coming from, I have to agree with jimithing11 here. Last year was a MESSY situation. No one was sure what the hell was going on as far as Kawhi's actual health status (the Spurs tend to not disclose information on that front most of the time). Then, it was obvious there was some bad blood between Kawhi and the Spurs upper management which I think led MOST to believe that this (the bad blood mixed with the fact the Spurs are known for resting guys) was the reason for him sitting out later in the season. 

Point being (as jimithing stated), this guy came into this season HEALTHY. Those of us who drafted him knew (or thought we knew) what we were signing up for. A couple extra days off in the beginning in addition to not playing back to backs INITIALLY. You cant honestly tell me that you (Stay woke) or anyone else thought hed be sitting out 1 out of every 3 games in addition to back to backs can you? Props to you if you really thought it would be like that. 

I drafted him and I've been trying hard to sell him over the past month. Real hard. No one is biting. That being said, I'm not that upset. I think there is a decent chance he plays most of his games out the the remainder of the year (maybe just sits back to backs - fingers crossed). I guess we'll see. If not, then chalk this one up to a bad draft pick and call it a day. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Although I completely understand where Stay Woke is coming from, I have to agree with jimithing11 here. Last year was a MESSY situation. No one was sure what the hell was going on as far as Kawhi's actual health status (the Spurs tend to not disclose information on that front most of the time). Then, it was obvious there was some bad blood between Kawhi and the Spurs upper management which I think led MOST to believe that this (the bad blood mixed with the fact the Spurs are known for resting guys) was the reason for him sitting out later in the season. 

Point being (as jimithing stated), this guy came into this season HEALTHY. Those of us who drafted him knew (or thought we knew) what we were signing up for. A couple extra days off in the beginning in addition to not playing back to backs INITIALLY. You cant honestly tell me that you (Stay woke) or anyone else thought hed be sitting out 1 out of every 3 games in addition to back to backs can you? Props to you if you really thought it would be like that. 

I drafted him and I've been trying hard to sell him over the past month. Real hard. No one is biting. That being said, I'm not that upset. I think there is a decent chance he plays most of his games out the the remainder of the year (maybe just sits back to backs - fingers crossed). I guess we'll see. If not, then chalk this one up to a bad draft pick and call it a day. 

Spot on. People seem to blame Kawhi drafters on not expecting him to get constantly rested "just because he sat out almost all of last season". I drafted him too with these VERY reasonable expectations of initial rest and missing games at the start of the season and knowing he was healthy - he definitely seemed like a much better pick at the time as compared to guys like PG, so I don't really have regrets picking him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

This is spot on. I don’t understand Kawhi’s white knights feeling the need to protect his honor. It’s fantasy sports, we are allowed to bitch and complain, it’s part of the fun, when guys don’t meet our expectations. 

• Like 2

I am having hard time understanding what the complaining is all about. If you knew who Kawhi is before this season, then there is nothing to complain about. 

Problem might be with expectations you had to start the season.

From Raptors point of view:  2nd best record in the NBA despite Kawhi sitting 16 games.  You are showing Kawhi that you can win and that you care about his well being, hoping he signs with you in the summer. And most important thing: Kawhi is fresh for real playoffs and ready to be unleashed.  If Kawhi whispers: "I want to play all games", what do you think Raptors reaction would be? 

From Kawhi point of view:  You are preserving your body for free agency (hello max contract!)  and you are winning with a real chance to go deep in playoffs.

Kawhi's owners in  fantasy basketball:  If your reasoning was: "He had last season to rest, he must be ready to play  at lest 75 games", there is nothing to say.  there is nobody to blame but you.

After all, you are complaining about 5th ranked player for the season in standard H2H on BBM.

Curry played 3 more games than Kawhi, I don't see  people complaining in his thread.

I think most of you guys are just kinda ignoring the facts. He literally played 9 games all of last season, even after getting cleared by his teams medical staff. Anyone who owned him last season could have warned you of the monumental headache that he was. Even after taking out last season hes still averaged well below 70 games a season for his career.

He's on pace to play 60 games this season, where you guys really expecting much more? He plays on the best team in his conference that has already shown they don't even need him to win against 80/90% of the teams in the league.

And I wouldn't consider myself a 'Kawhi white night' by any means, if anything I think all the rest is ridiculous too, not just for Kawhi but for all the nba. I think it's part of a much larger problem - the nba schedule is too condensed, the length of the season should be extended and the off-season slightly decreased imo.

At the end of the day all I'm saying is drafting Kawhi was no one's choice but your own and blaming others is kinda weak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stay_woke said:

I think most of you guys are just kinda ignoring the facts. He literally played 9 games all of last season, even after getting cleared by his teams medical staff. Anyone who owned him last season could have warned you of the monumental headache that he was. Even after taking out last season hes still averaged well below 70 games a season for his career.

He's on pace to play 60 games this season, where you guys really expecting much more? He plays on the best team in his conference that has already shown they don't even need him to win against 80/90% of the teams in the league.

And I wouldn't consider myself a 'Kawhi white night' by any means, if anything I think all the rest is ridiculous too, not just for Kawhi but for all the nba. I think it's part of a much larger problem - the nba schedule is too condensed, the length of the season should be extended and the off-season slightly decreased imo.

At the end of the day all I'm saying is drafting Kawhi was no one's choice but your own and blaming others is kinda weak.

What if I owned him in a dynasty league since before all this drama? I would have more understanding if the Raps sat out Lowry since he’s like 100 years old and not necessarily what you’d call in great shape. But kawhi is not injured. He’s not old. If they can win without him and they only want him healthy for the playoffs , then why play him at all? Sit him out the whole season and see ya in round 1 . What if in the one game out of the next five that he plays, he breaks his leg? You can’t predict injuries and this “ load management” stuff if asinine, no matter who is calling the shots. You’re healthy. You’re getting paid (very well). Play the f*cking game. I can’t imagine being teammates with this guy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aMediumPace said:

What if I owned him in a dynasty league since before all this drama? I would have more understanding if the Raps sat out Lowry since he’s like 100 years old and not necessarily what you’d call in great shape. But kawhi is not injured. He’s not old. If they can win without him and they only want him healthy for the playoffs , then why play him at all? Sit him out the whole season and see ya in round 1 . What if in the one game out of the next five that he plays, he breaks his leg? You can’t predict injuries and this “ load management” stuff if asinine, no matter who is calling the shots. You’re healthy. You’re getting paid (very well). Play the f*cking game. I can’t imagine being teammates with this guy. 

He's been playing through hip injury and knee soreness this season. Can u really blame the guy for being extra cautious before his max contract deal, especially after how his injury last year was handled by the Spurs organization. If the team doesnt really care about the player besides them wanting the player to perform at the highest at all times and throw/trade u aside whenever they feel like it. I get the frustrations of owning a certain player for fantasy purposes, missed games hurt but at the end of the day it's merely just a game for entertainment, for the players it's their livelihood. 

• Like 1

Haha, it's a lot of back and forth here, with the majority of people disliking Kawhi as a human being as a result of him getting paid big bucks to rest so many games.  And unfortunately, I'm going to have to side with the minority, that says shut the hell up, stop projecting all of your petty anger toward a guy you don't even know, who has his reasons to do what he does, regardless of whether he gets paid millions or not.  If you were Kawhi, you'd be doing the exact same thing.  I know the human condition is to impose our own values and expectations on to others, but people get hurt that way; fortunately in this case, the only people getting hurt in this regard are people's fantasy teams who are suffering just a wee bit.

I also have him on my team, and perhaps I'll try to trade him, or perhaps I'll stick with him and take what I can get ROS because he's so damn good.  Regardless, the last thing I will do is blame him.  Blame yourself, blame the NBA, blame his birth givers, blame the big bang while you're at it.  But don't fall into the trap by saying things like "I can't imagine being teammates with this guy"  (no, you can't.  Because you never will be) or "Sad excuse for a human being" (who do you define as a happy excuse for a human being, and do you fit that criteria?).  Shiet, or keep complaining, it makes this thread that much more entertaining.  It's not like I'm going to sway anyone who doesn't already, more or less, agree with me.  

Happy day to you all (including to you, Mr. Leonard)!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nica4two said:

Haha, it's a lot of back and forth here, with the majority of people disliking Kawhi as a human being as a result of him getting paid big bucks to rest so many games.  And unfortunately, I'm going to have to side with the minority, that says shut the hell up, stop projecting all of your petty anger toward a guy you don't even know, who has his reasons to do what he does, regardless of whether he gets paid millions or not.  If you were Kawhi, you'd be doing the exact same thing.  I know the human condition is to impose our own values and expectations on to others, but people get hurt that way; fortunately in this case, the only people getting hurt in this regard are people's fantasy teams who are suffering just a wee bit.

I also have him on my team, and perhaps I'll try to trade him, or perhaps I'll stick with him and take what I can get ROS because he's so damn good.  Regardless, the last thing I will do is blame him.  Blame yourself, blame the NBA, blame his birth givers, blame the big bang while you're at it.  But don't fall into the trap by saying things like "I can't imagine being teammates with this guy"  (no, you can't.  Because you never will be) or "Sad excuse for a human being" (who do you define as a happy excuse for a human being, and do you fit that criteria?).  Shiet, or keep complaining, it makes this thread that much more entertaining.  It's not like I'm going to sway anyone who doesn't already, more or less, agree with me.  

Happy day to you all (including to you, Mr. Leonard)!

Seriously.  Must be a lot of 15 year olds owning Kawhi in fantasy this year. 

• Like 1

Kawhi has chronic quad tendinopathy. It's not just a "few games at the beginning of the season" thing. It will be an issue for his whole career. Considering how big of a fiasco this was in the off-season, you'd think you'd look into a bit before drafting him no?

He missed 24 games in 2012 and sat out of USA basketball in the summer because of it. Last year, he had myositis ossificans on top of it, which couldn't have been diagnosed right after his injury. Spurs thought it was only quad tendinopathy and a less serious issue than Parker's, which led to his teammates and Pops pressuring him to play.

Also, if you follow Raptor games, any time he comes up with a limp or has a sore knee, he's sitting out the next game whether it's back-to-back or not. Drafting Kawhi from now on will be like drafting CP3. He's guaranteed to miss a bunch of games. If you thought Kawhi was only going to rest a bit at the beginning of the season, then he should have been a top 5 pick.

• Like 4