Sign in to follow this  
codog24

Kendrick Bourne 2018 Outlook

(dynastyleaguefootball) Kendrick Bourne was listed as the "Surprise offseason standout" by ESPN

Analysis: We mentioned Bourne recently in that he and Jimmy Garoppolo have been hooking up consistently in camp. The 49ers have arguably one of the weakest receiver groups in the NFL and the 2017 undrafted free agent Bourne showed well to end the year. He's continued that momentum in camp while still being an unknown in fantasy. There's no reason to rush out and add Bourne unless you have an open roster spot but an unknown player who consistently receives positive press in camp from a weak roster is always a deep sleeper target. He's a way-off-the-radar receiver appearing as DLF's WR107.

(RotoWire) Bourne was one of the 49ers' most consistent pass catchers throughout the offseason program, ESPN.com's Nick Wagoner reports.

Analysis: Bourne caught 16 of 35 targets for 257 yards as an undrafted rookie last year, with all of his production coming in November and December. While Marquise Goodwin (back) and Pierre Garcon (neck) are locked in atop the depth chart and Trent Taylor is the favorite to man the slot, it isn't out of the question for Bourne or second-round rookie Dante Pettis to make a push for the No. 3 gig. Taylor exploded for 92 yards in Jimmy Garoppolo's first start last season, but he then managed just 99 yards over the final four weeks of the campaign.

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) San Francisco 49ers WR Kendrick Bourne has been one of the most consistent pass-catchers in the offseason program and could potentially push for an expanded role in 2018 behind Pierre Garcon and Marquise Goodwin, according to ESPN's Nick Wagoner.

Analysis: San Francisco 49ers WR Kendrick Bourne has been one of the most consistent pass-catchers in the offseason program and could potentially push for an expanded role in 2018 behind Pierre Garcon and Marquise Goodwin, according to ESPN's Nick Wagoner.

(Rotoworld) ESPN 49ers reporter Nick Wagoner singled out WR Kendrick Bourne as the surprise of Niners minicamp, suggesting he could "potentially push for an expanded role."

Analysis: The second-year UDFA caught 16 balls for 257 yards (16.1 YPR) as a rookie. He stands 6'1/203 and ran 4.68 with a 34-inch vertical at last year's Combine, resulting in his undrafted status. But Jimmy Garoppolo said Bourne looks faster this year and "has some wiggle." Bourne has a lot of work to pass second-rounder Dante Pettis before cracking the rotation at receiver.

Sounds like if your 16 team league starts 8 WRs, Bourne could be worth an end-of-the-bench flier as a bye week flex option.

Young WR with good size. Really took off last season in his rookie year after Jimmy G arrived. Offseason hype. NOBODY in front of him in an up and coming offense looking for playmakers with a young franchise QB. I'll take a guy like that every day compared to a WR 4 or 5 with little to no upside.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor NOBODY.  They're not all stars by any means, but Garcon has shown he can do it in this league and has great hands and runs great routes.  Goodwin showed last year he's more than just a guy who runs deep.  And Trent Taylor also showed some promise last year with Jimmy G.  Again, this isn't an all star cast of WRs, but I certainly wouldn't call them NOBODY.

Edited by Fort4242
spelling is hard
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

I wouldn't call Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor NOBODY.  They're not all stars by any means, but Garcon has shown he can do it in this league and has great hands and runs great routes.  Goodwin showed last year he's more than just a guy who runs deep.  And Trent Taylor also showed some promise last year with Jimmy G.  Again, this isn't an all star cast of WRs, but I certainly wouldn't call them NOBODY.

This ^^^ guys.

Bourne will end up being a nice story eventually (an UDFA who works his way into a starter's role somewhere), but only injury will land him in a fantasy relevant role relative to the 3 (or 4, if you count Pettis) guys in front of him.  Getting lots of time with the 1s in OTAs while Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor mostly sat out with nicks helped Bourne's efforts to cement a roster spot for sure.  I do believe the CS and FO like him alot.  He is part of the future for sure.  Just not now (injury developments aside).

7 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

This ^^^ guys.

Bourne will end up being a nice story eventually (an UDFA who works his way into a starter's role somewhere), but only injury will land him in a fantasy relevant role relative to the 3 (or 4, if you count Pettis) guys in front of him.  Getting lots of time with the 1s in OTAs while Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor mostly sat out with nicks helped Bourne's efforts to cement a roster spot for sure.  I do believe the CS and FO like him alot.  He is part of the future for sure.  Just not now (injury developments aside).

Garcon is old and hasn't had a "big" year in 5 years. Goodwin is small and should man the slot. Taylor is meh. I think there is a real shot that Bourne starts week 1. It's not like he has to overtake Rice and Taylor in SF.

2 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Garcon is old and hasn't had a "big" year in 5 years.

Garcon hasn't even reached the Age of Decline for WRs yet; he's only 31.  And that 184 target, 113 reception year--his last "big" year?  That was the last year he played in Kyle Shanahan's offense until last season--which was the first season he hasn't played all 16 games in 5 years too.

Granted, the whole SF offense started out slow last year, but in the five week stretch before he got hurt (Weeks 3-7), Garcon was the #13 overall WR in PPR scoring.  Isn't it fair to say he might do at least as well with Garoppolo as he did with Hoyer?

Between Garçon, Goodwin, and Taylor, and Kittle, Kendrick Bourne certainly has a cooler football name, something riper for a nickname if he could only earn one. So there’s that. (Still struggling to figure out how he has a thread, though.)

18 hours ago, cohenstantinople said:

Between Garçon, Goodwin, and Taylor, and Kittle, Kendrick Bourne certainly has a cooler football name, something riper for a nickname if he could only earn one. So there’s that. (Still struggling to figure out how he has a thread, though.)

The guy had a 2 page thread as a rookie, started to become a real part of the offence the last month of the season, the team only added a mid round rookie, and has been the star of OTAs. I was shocked he didn't have a thread. 

He seems to have passed Pettis in the pecking order (for now) and Garcon may be dealt.

Anything to see here?

• Like 1

Garcon is done being an effective nfl wr. Any team would be stupid to give up anything for Garcon. Bourne will be interesting on 2019 rosters with jimmy G. I would hate to be counting on bourne for anything in 2018. Then again I have kearse on some rosters and he gave me a 0 and a 3 for 30. Bourne>kearse

here's a WR that you shouldn't sleep on this week

Tampa's defense including their secondary is sucking fumes

Nick Mullens has thrown for at least 250 yards in each of his two starts

Garcon is out, Bourne was second in targets last week

I’m curious to see how this shakes out, it looked like they were trying to get Pettis involved before the bye, I think it’s a toss up between the two but one should have a nice game this week

4 minutes ago, yanksman said:

You like either better than Goodwin?

I’d say Goodwin has a good game but you gotta think they want to get their 2nd rd pick going, they traded up to get him and injuries derailed the first half of the season

Bourne and Mullens saw a lot of each other in practice on Third String

Mullens looks for Bourne in the End Zone

5 for 75 and a TD

I’d say with Goodwin most likely out, I’d flip a coin between Pettis and Bourne .

Both had 6 targets and 4 catches before the bye, Bourne had 30yd , Pettis had 14.

Edited by BRIGUY11

4 hours ago, wendellrott said:

get ready for the Bourne Legacy

TAMPA, Fla., — The pressure is on 49ers wide receiver Kendrick Bourne to step up in place of Pierre Garçon and Marquise Goodwin this weekend. 

Garçon was ruled out for Sunday's matchup against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, while Goodwin is doubtful to play because of a personal matter.

Bourne has been the go-to stand-in at every receiver spot this season. Goodwin, Trent Taylor, Dante Pettis and Garçon all sat out games with injuries, and Bourne was the one to take their place, no matter the role. 

Being a reliable target in the red zone, where the 49ers' offense has struggled, is an important part of Bourne’s game.

“He’s got some size to him, but he’s got hands,” Shanahan said. “I think down there, people talk about size being a huge advantage down there because places are smaller, or the windows are smaller, but it’s not just height. It’s strength and having the hand-eye [coordination] to attack the ball.

Bourne has 11 catches for 104 yards in two previous starts in place for Garcon and he quietly ranks second among the team’s wide receivers with 23 catches (Garcon, 24). Bourne is tied for second on the team in receiving TDs (3) and each have come deep in the red zone. His scores have come on catches of 4, 2 and 4 yards.

Sneaky play for sure. But seems like they will have to score to win against TB. Rolling him in flex and feeling confident.