Sign in to follow this  
boombox711

Should I take this offer?

4 hours ago, Idoolittle said:

Schoop isn't worth picking up right now. You're better off dropping Quintana for someone else in FA.

I dont really think this is good advice, as I just would highly doubt there would be any 2B with the upside Schoop has.  He is struggling badly right now, but so was Goldy.  Good hitters eventually figure it out and soon enough, I think Schoop will as well.  With that said, I would hold Quintana right now and wait for some signs of life from Schoop before making the deal.  But I would not drop Quintana

No.  Quintana has been the second best pitcher on a 1st place team striking guys out a higher clip than he ever did in the AL, and Schoop has been a replacement level player since returning from the DL with a lot less opportunity for statistical success.  I imagine you can get a better 2B for Quintana, at least Eduardo Escobar, and perhaps Javier Baez if you add a mediocre second player, or no one at all if the owner is "less than discerning."

11 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

I dont really think this is good advice, as I just would highly doubt there would be any 2B with the upside Schoop has.  He is struggling badly right now, but so was Goldy.  Good hitters eventually figure it out and soon enough, I think Schoop will as well.  With that said, I would hold Quintana right now and wait for some signs of life from Schoop before making the deal.  But I would not drop Quintana

Goldy was a completely different situation than Schoop. Goldy's is a top 15 player, which is based on 6 seasons of producing at a high level. Schoop's pre-season ranking was somewhere around 70, which is mainly based on a one good season in 2017. His 2016 and 2015 seasons were nothing special (I think he ranked around 200 in both of those seasons) and his 2014 production was similar to this season. So I think it was fair to assume that Goldy was going to turn it around. I don't think we can be near as confident in Schoop. As for Quintana, he's had a decent career but again his pre-season ranking was probably higher because of a good 2017 (more wins, better K ratio than he historically has had). Quintana is a decent pitcher, but he's historically had a low K count and his ERA/WHIP are just average. So I don't mind holding him, but at the same time I bet there's someone in FA that's available that's better than him.

Basically, in a redraft you hold onto elite talent when they're struggling. You don't hold on to average talent. And I think both Schoop and Quintana are just average. You're better off streaming whatever players are hot until these guys turn it around. Of course, this does depend on how deep the league is as well. But some guys I would rather have in a redraft over both of these guys would include:

Matt Duffy
Jose Peraza
Derek Dietrich
Jack Flaherty
Domingo German
Nick Pivetta

And if these guys start to struggle, then you move on to the next guy. 

Fair enough Idoolittle.  I agree with your point somewhat, as I do give up on average players quite a bit to ride the hot hand.  However in this case, I think we need to know more about the league size and FA availability.  We both could be right!  

42 minutes ago, TheTruth024 said:

Fair enough Idoolittle.  I agree with your point somewhat, as I do give up on average players quite a bit to ride the hot hand.  However in this case, I think we need to know more about the league size and FA availability.  We both could be right!  

I agree. I mean if there really aren't any FA options then holding onto Quintana would be the right call. But overall I'm not really high on either one of these guys in a redraft.