Trench Mob

DeAndre Ayton 2018-2019 Season Outlook

4 hours ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

We all know about it, and we all see it. It's obvious. Nobody ever wants to admit it, but it's there.

People on this fantasy basketball 'talk' hate DeAndre Ayton. The first question to ask: why? Why do you all hate him? The obvious answer: you didn't watch him in his prime.

Likely explanation: I know that most of you are around 14 or 15 years old. That means you only got into basketball in the last couple years. So you never watched DeAndre in his prime.

And because you didn't watch him in his prime, you try to compensate for that by diving into stat sheets and analyzing box scores. But here's the thing: basketball isn't played on Excel spreadsheets. The moment somebody brings up "true shooting percentage" or "win shares" I know they know nothing about basketball. DeAndre's game cannot be encapsulated by one stat. He's the second greatest phx center ever, and one of the 5 best phx players to ever play the game.

So when I hear somebody say that Luka is better than DeAndre, I laugh, because I know that anybody who watched DeAndre in his prime wouldn't think that. Unlike you guys, I have watched basketball for a significant amount of time, so I know that DeAndre is better.

You might be jealous of DeAndre's rookie contract, or jealous of his status as the greatest scorer in PHX history, or whatever. Unless you're a Bulls fan who watched basketball in the 90s, or a Lakers fan who watched basketball in the 2010s, you don't know what real, cold-blooded, killer instinct, will-to-win basketball looks like. And there's nothing wrong with that. This forum would make you think that DeAndre isn't even a top 100 player today.

So don't go spouting bull**** about players you didn't watch. Talk about your "greats" like Luka, The Best Rookie in the World™, but leave the DeAndre talk to the adults. Fair?

I'm with you, but this, "I know that anybody who watched DeAndre in his prime wouldn't think that." makes no sense. The kid's only 12. We haven't seen him hit his prime yet.

Edited by MysticPeak

6 hours ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

We all know about it, and we all see it. It's obvious. Nobody ever wants to admit it, but it's there.

People on this fantasy basketball 'talk' hate DeAndre Ayton. The first question to ask: why? Why do you all hate him? The obvious answer: you didn't watch him in his prime.

Likely explanation: I know that most of you are around 14 or 15 years old. That means you only got into basketball in the last couple years. So you never watched DeAndre in his prime.

And because you didn't watch him in his prime, you try to compensate for that by diving into stat sheets and analyzing box scores. But here's the thing: basketball isn't played on Excel spreadsheets. The moment somebody brings up "true shooting percentage" or "win shares" I know they know nothing about basketball. DeAndre's game cannot be encapsulated by one stat. He's the second greatest phx center ever, and one of the 5 best phx players to ever play the game.

So when I hear somebody say that Luka is better than DeAndre, I laugh, because I know that anybody who watched DeAndre in his prime wouldn't think that. Unlike you guys, I have watched basketball for a significant amount of time, so I know that DeAndre is better.

You might be jealous of DeAndre's rookie contract, or jealous of his status as the greatest scorer in PHX history, or whatever. Unless you're a Bulls fan who watched basketball in the 90s, or a Lakers fan who watched basketball in the 2010s, you don't know what real, cold-blooded, killer instinct, will-to-win basketball looks like. And there's nothing wrong with that. This forum would make you think that DeAndre isn't even a top 100 player today.

So don't go spouting bull**** about players you didn't watch. Talk about your "greats" like Luka, The Best Rookie in the World™, but leave the DeAndre talk to the adults. Fair?

What are you talking about an athlete prime is usually around 25-28. How the hell has rookie ayton had his prime already? And yes Luka is much better than him right now he controls the game and keep the mavs competitive. Ayton is putting up good stats which is all I care about as a fantasy owner but has been nowhere near as impactful as luka has to his team. Not saying that will be the same for their careers, that's just the case right now. If ayton improves his defense that will be all he needs to become a real star

1 hour ago, richg24 said:

What are you talking about an athlete prime is usually around 25-28. How the hell has rookie ayton had his prime already? And yes Luka is much better than him right now he controls the game and keep the mavs competitive. Ayton is putting up good stats which is all I care about as a fantasy owner but has been nowhere near as impactful as luka has to his team. Not saying that will be the same for their careers, that's just the case right now. If ayton improves his defense that will be all he needs to become a real star

Pretty sure you guys are getting trolled lmao. 

That reads like it's a Reddit copypasta about LeBron and Kobe with ayton and Luka replacing their names. 

Edited by RicFlair
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RicFlair said:

That reads like it's a Reddit copypasta about LeBron and Kobe with ayton and Luka replacing their names. 

Googled the first sentence. ffs

8 hours ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

29 minutes ago, RicFlair said:

23 minutes ago, MysticPeak said:

Googled the first sentence. ffs

tenor.gif?itemid=3433532

Congrats all around - to the cut and paste job and the ones who pointed it out!  Funny stuff.

But in all seriousness tho, it must be stated again that the complaining/hating on here about a guy who is averaging a 16 and 11 on 59% shooting 10 games into his career is absurd.

• Like 1

Feeling pretty good for Ayton to be one of my keepers moving forward. Would like to see some more blocks but this is a good start IMO

He literally had 0 offensive touches in the 4th quarter and overtime. That is a bad loss. They had dominated most of that game but just stopped working the ball down the stretch and played hero ball.

9 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

He literally had 0 offensive touches in the 4th quarter and overtime. That is a bad loss. They had dominated most of that game but just stopped working the ball down the stretch and played hero ball.

Edit: My bad, thought I was in the Devin Booker thread

Edited by GriffeySwag

5 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

Ya I watched only the 4th and OT and it was just booker taking every shot. ayton had nothing run for him. booker was trying to get in a duel with kyrie and it was working for a bit but then horford and jaylen brown also hit 3s and then booker kept chucking and missed a bunch of shots. best thing is how many mins ayton plays though

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Akauders said:

Salvaged his Kanter line with ONE block! 

He was credited with a steal in the 1st half , but they took it away for some reason. I wasn’t able to watch the game , so idk. 

3 hours ago, Akauders said:

Salvaged his Kanter line with ONE block! 

35.7 mins .427 FG% .769 FT% 0.0 3PM 9.8 REB 3.1 AST 0.4 STL 1.1 BLK 18.6 PTS

This player is ranked in top 30 ROTO ranking in ESPN. Someone called Aldridge. Is his line Kanter`s? And for rookie with under 15 games under his belt the comparison with veteran player who can produce top 60 is not such a offend, i think. When Ayton posts JV`s numbers, then i will be disappointed, that i traded another C without mins in Nurk for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pdids911 said:

did he not get a single stat in OT? 

He didn’t touch the ball on the offensive end in the 4th or ot.

Why you guys complaining... He is a Rook, he has great games and then so-so games... Safe 4th round value if not better! You dont draft him to win blocks guys :) !

2 hours ago, Raziballs3324 said:

Why you guys complaining... He is a Rook, he has great games and then so-so games... Safe 4th round value if not better! You dont draft him to win blocks guys :) !

given Yahoo's outlook/prediction and his preseason we thought we getting a HUGE amount of blocks though.  YOu can see how some feel somewhat "shammed"

2 hours ago, WaKe21334 said:

He didn’t touch the ball on the offensive end in the 4th or ot.

That is always going to be the problem for Ayton this year. Booker is a great player, but late in games once he gets the ball it's a black hole....for good reason. They didn't seem to try and run a play for him. 

But let's all take a step back and realize that Ayton, despite getting no touches late/4th qtr still managed 14/10 block and shot 60pct from the field. Pretty good considering he played with a player  that took 30 shots and played against a really good defense. 

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

That is always going to be the problem for Ayton this year. Booker is a great player, but late in games once he gets the ball it's a black hole....for good reason. They didn't seem to try and run a play for him. 

But let's all take a step back and realize that Ayton, despite getting no touches late/4th qtr still managed 14/10 block and shot 60pct from the field. Pretty good considering he played with a player  that took 30 shots and played against a really good defense. 

I agree but the problem I have is the amount of shots Cannan was taking late. If I were a suns fan, i'd be livid. He still had a great game. 

15 minutes ago, WaKe21334 said:

I agree but the problem I have is the amount of shots Cannan was taking late. If I were a suns fan, i'd be livid. He still had a great game. 

100pct. They basically ran zero plays for Ayton and that is on the coach. The coach needs to let the players know that you pound the ball into Ayton or you are off the floor. It wasn't like the Suns were playing great late either, they were in the middle of blowing a big lead and getting crushed in OT. 

They tried feeding Ayton in he 4th when he was being guarded by Marcus Morris and he wasnt aggressive at all. If his first and secondary moves don’t work then hes likely to pass out of the post instead of trying to counter again. He shouldve man handled Morris down there but he didnt. Im not blaming the coach here because they tried to go at the miss match and it wasnt working. With that said, his reluctancy to force shots is what will allow him to be an FG anchor so im not complaining.

I had read that Ayton was Top 10

in post touches and I cant really ask for more from a Rookie. End of game it was all Booker and that was to be expected.

Edited by FantasyBallFan
  • Like 1

Igor is just not the right coach for Ayton`s development. He likes small ball and if the GM doesn`t call to him and discipline his plays with Ayton, the last one barely will touch the ball. DAA stayed 3 or 4 times in first 15 mins alone or in mismatch under the basket and noone pass the ball to him. Canaan thinks he is Kobe or MJ and there is no reaction from the coach. All of this kills his confidence and he declines clean shots and pass outside the ball.

• Like 1