Idoolittle

Which RP ROS? Brad Boxberger (ARZ) or Brandon Morrow (CHC)?

Cats are saves, wins, K, ERA, WHIP

I'll be honest, I haven't been looking to hard at closers all season because I had Chapman and Jensen. But I recently traded Jensen and got lucky that a couple decent closers just got dropped (Boxberger had a bad outing, Morrow got hurt). I'm mainly looking at which pitcher is going to get the most saves, but K, ERA, and WHIP are definitely still factors.

Just looking at the stats, both have been pretty even in terms of saves (both play for pretty good teams), Boxberger has been better in the K stat, but Morrow has been better in terms of ERA/WHIP. Boxberger did have one bad outing though where he gave up 4 runs in less than an inning so I'm not sure how much that's contributing to his stats.

Anyway, who's the better pickup? Morrow or Boxberger?

Tough call, it's about as tough a coin flip as it gets with those two. I think the save chances will remain pretty similar ROS, I might prefer Box a bit for the extra K's. He hasn't been a blow up machine like you mentioned and the add/K's could come in handy. I don't think either one you drop will make or break the season though. 

HH 

• Thanks 1

I've been looking into the stats a bit more. In this season it looks like Morrow's given up runs in 2 out of his 26 games so far this season. Boxberger has given up runs in 7 (6 earned) of his 29 games pitched. Since becoming a relief pitcher, Morrow's had a 1.88 ERA and 1.08 WHIP in 81.4 over three seasons. Boxberger's a career 3.25 ERA and 1.26 WHIP in 257.1 IP (3.97 ERA, 1.41 WHIP in 79.3 IP over the last 3 years). Morrow's Ks per inning the last 3 years are at 1.02 per game (1.13 this season) vs Boxberger at 1.25 (1.42 this season). Their saves for this season are the same, but Boxberger's also blown 4 saves vs Morrow's 1.

So Boxberger's still the better bet for Ks (and I'm a big K guy), but Morrow seems to be a bit more reliable. At this point I'm leaning Morrow, but would still like some more input. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=morrobr01&t=p&year=2018
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=boxbebr01&t=p&year=2018

Morrow just because of being more consistent

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jpsalerno1996 said:

If you have the roster spot Morrow for sure. Any way you can get/hold both though?

Not really. Only two starting spots for RP and my other RP is Chapman. Jansen's on his way out in a trade that'll be processed on Tuesday so that's why I've got a spot available.

I would go with Morrow as well.  He got hurt putting on his pants so the injury shouldn't be all that serious.  Boxberger has Archie Bradley and Hiriano breathing down his neck.  Morrow is much safer in his role as his main threat (Carl Edwards) has arm issues.  Pedro Strop just got blasted, so they cannot wait to get Morrow back.  They will welcome him back with open arms.  Plus I think the Cubs are the better team so better chance at more saves.  I like Morrow more than Boxberger by quite a bit

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Idoolittle said:

Not really. Only two starting spots for RP and my other RP is Chapman. Jansen's on his way out in a trade that'll be processed on Tuesday so that's why I've got a spot available.

Any way to add Morrow place him on the DL and add Boxberger with the open slot? If you need saves now then its gotta be Boxberger with Morrow out. But the ROS I prefer Morrow as long as he returns sooner than later.

Help please:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

Any way to add Morrow place him on the DL and add Boxberger with the open slot? If you need saves now then its gotta be Boxberger with Morrow out. But the ROS I prefer Morrow as long as he returns sooner than later.

Help please:

We only have one DL spot and Ryu is currently occupying it. I should also point out we only have 2 player adds per week, and I needed to use an add elsewhere to address SP anyway. Also from my understanding Morrow isn't expected to be on the DL much longer than his 10 day minimum. Obviously won't know for sure until he's actually activated, but I'm not factoring in his injury a whole lot here where it's expected to be short-term.

Both are huge injury risks but I would pick Morrow due to the Cubs having a superior lineup

• Thanks 1