smeeze

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

Jones will play behind Williams and TyMont because he can't keep pass rushers in front of him. 

People in here talking about starting him this week lol this thread has been comedy. 

Obviously he was not gonna start the game.  My guess is that he’ll break off some impressive runs and then McCarthy will say something stupid like “we’re gonna ride the hot hand”.

1 minute ago, jccouger said:

Jones will play behind Williams and TyMont because he can't keep pass rushers in front of him. 

People in here talking about starting him this week lol this thread has been comedy. 

pure comedy.  Traded him for him as a J Will owner to cover my self.  I doubt Aaron sees significant snaps unless there is injury to both backs after comments like these.

1 minute ago, jccouger said:

Is that what he said? Or is it more likely it has to do with being suspended the first two games? 

First game back from suspension + he missed most of training camp/preseason with injury. This isn't surprising nor is it a big deal.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

First game back from suspension + he missed most of training camp/preseason with injury. This isn't surprising nor is it a big deal.

Came here to say this.

1 minute ago, thirdeye said:

Came here to say this.

Nobody should have expected him to start nor should they have relied on him this week unless desperate. Jones is still a good stash; nothing has changed. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

pure comedy.  Traded him for him as a J Will owner to cover my self.  I doubt Aaron sees significant snaps unless there is injury to both backs after comments like these.

Don’t trust coach speak.  Sure, you probably don’t want to trust him this week.

But, it’s only a matter of time.  By week 4 he’ll be getting the majority of the carriers...

Williams is averaging a putrid 3.4ypc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kyle87 said:

Yep this is my take on the situation as well.  I have one share of Jones but I'm not really honestly expecting even RB2 average numbers from week 3-16.  I'm hoping for it (as a packer fan and a fantasy owner) but not really expecting it.  The Packers have 3 serviceable RB's now and I expect them all to be used because that's just how the modern NFL works when you have those options.

All that being said I feel Jones is the only one that has a chance and being fantasy relevant of the three at this point.  He just needs to come out swinging this Sunday.  So far the Packers run game has looked pretty sad.  Last week when they had a chance to run out a lot of clock for a win they opted to throw for the end-zone twice rather than run it twice... that's a product of the severe lack of trust and effectiveness of the current run game.

Bottom line:

Jones has a chance at being relevant

Other 2 do not

Most likely they'll all be next to worthless because of the shared backfield.

I agree ... with your bottom line. 

In my book the only RB that was draftworthy in Green Bay was Aaron Jones. 

24 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

I do not see where this was said in any article.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, calibar said:

no sh!t, love the people that thought he was going to step in and become an Rb1, especially those who dropped J.Williams right away. logic would say let this play out and drop when you have an idea

No RB in Green Bay is a RB1 ... 

If you drafted Williams to be one of your starting RBs or a flex play, I think you made a mistake. Williams is just Incase/bye week players. 

24 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

I do not see where this was said in any article.

Aaron Jones - RB - Packers

Coach Mike McCarthy said Aaron Jones will play behind both Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery in his return from suspension this week against the Redskins.

"Jamaal and Ty have played good football," McCarthy said. "I know what Aaron gives us, but his role will be secondary. Jamaal and Ty will be in the first slot." Jones is off a two-game ban and will not be handed anything off the bat. He's not a fantasy starter right now and remains nothing more than a bench stash. Jones is long on talent, but Williams and Montgomery have reliability.

59 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

Typical beat writers only posting what they want to get attention. This is why context is everything.

Reporter asks what Jones brings to the offense now that he has returned:

"Aaron is obviously an exciting player, he's done some excellent, excellent things in his short time as far as his opportunities. I think just like anything he wants to get out there and get going really learning from last year. Availability is his focus because of the injuries he had last year. He looks to be in good shape so it will be good to get him back out there."

Reporter essentially asks if Jones will see the majority of the carries in the backfield:

"Jamaal and Ty have played good football. I know what Aaron gives us, but his role will be secondary. Jamaal and Ty will be in the first slot so, and how we use him (meaning Jones) is why we play the game. So I mean schematically, reps, play time that's for Sunday but I'm excited to have Aaron back."

In other words all McCarthy said is that Williams and Montgomery will be on the field before Jones. Does that mean first carry goes to Williams, second to Montgomery, and the remaining 15 or so go to Jones? I doubt it, but it also doesn't mean that Jones will be relegated to COP duties and only get a carry or two. 

This is coach speak which means little to nothing. So you're telling me a guy coming off of a preseason injury and a two game suspension will not be the first RB on the field? Shocking!

Here's the press conference so you can hear McCarthy yourself:

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1042440152793133056

We don't know how Aaron's workload will shake out but I doubt he'll be a workhorse like some of the Jones believers seem to believe and I doubt he'll only see two carries like the Williams believers seem to believe. Especially in this first game with Jones back, I think this backfield will be muddy and none of the running backs will be useful in fantasy until one separates himself from the pack. Williams had the first crack to cement himself as the lead back and looked like he has always looked, like a backup running back. Don't be surprised when this backfield turns into a "hot hand" from week to week. I would bet on Jones winning the hot hand over Williams every single time. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Pretty Cool Stat:

Since 2016, there have been 63 different running backs that have been able to reach the 100 yard rushing mark.  Only one of those has been able to accomplish this feat without ever learning how to pass block - Aaron Jones.  Rare company indeed.

Aaron Jones Ezekiel Elliott Le'Veon Bell Tim Hightower
Adrian Peterson Fozzy Whittaker Mark Ingram Todd Gurley
Alex Collins Frank Gore Marshawn Lynch Ty Montgomery
Alfred Blue Giovani Bernard Matt Breida  
Alfred Morris Isaiah Crowell Matt Forte  
Alvin Kamara Jacquizz Rodgers Matt Jones  
Bilal Powell Jamaal Williams Melvin Gordon  
C.J. Anderson James Conner Orleans Darkwa  
Carlos Hyde Jay Ajayi Paul Perkins  
Chris Ivory Jeremy Hill Peyton Barber  
Christine Michael Joe Mixon Phillip Lindsay  
Colin Kaepernick Jonathan Stewart Rex Burkhead  
Corey Grant Jordan Howard Rob Kelley  
Dalvin Cook Kareem Hunt Ryan Mathews  
David Johnson Kenyan Drake Samaje Perine  
DeAngelo Williams Kevin Hogan Saquon Barkley  
DeMarco Murray Lamar Miller Spencer Ware  
Derrick Henry Latavius Murray T.J. Yeldon  
Devonta Freeman LeGarrette Blount Terrance West  
Dion Lewis Leonard Fournette Tevin Coleman  
Eddie Lacy LeSean McCoy Thomas Rawls  
  • Like 1

I hope his owners drop him in the leagues I don't already have him in.  There are no guarantees here, and the backfield + recent history of GB RB's is kinda crappy, but he's by far the most talented back they have and it's not really close.  You just have to hope that he improves his pass blocking to the point where the staff is comfortable playing him.  If that happens, he could really be a productive player, and he wouldn't need excessive volume to do so.  I forget the numbers exactly, but there's that factoid out there about his % of runs that went 15 or 20 yards last year, which basically pointed to his big play explosiveness.  Jones to me is the ultimate lottery ticket.  Could be fringe nothing, but could win you a league with his talent and an opportunity. 

1 hour ago, jccouger said:

14 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:
Aaron Jones - RB - Packers

Coach Mike McCarthy said Aaron Jones will play behind both Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery in his return from suspension this week against the Redskins.

"Jamaal and Ty have played good football," McCarthy said. "I know what Aaron gives us, but his role will be secondary. Jamaal and Ty will be in the first slot." Jones is off a two-game ban and will not be handed anything off the bat. He's not a fantasy starter right now and remains nothing more than a bench stash. Jones is long on talent, but Williams and Montgomery have reliability.

I was talking about the above...............

You guys are gonna hold this guy for weeks to hope he ends up in a 3 way split. There’s no way he is taking over completely anyway you slice it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

You guys are gonna hold this guy for weeks to hope he ends up in a 3 way split. There’s no way he is taking over completely anyway you slice it.

So weeks 4-10 didn't happen last year? :huh:

9 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

He completely took over the backfield last year before getting hurt.  It is possible.  In my opinion it's not likely but we don't know.  If Jones dominates on the field in limited touches, it could happen.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the first two games of the season with TY or Williams. They played MIN and CHI...two great Ds.

although I'm not particularly excited about either back unless they are catching passes in this offense 

1 minute ago, David Aames said:

all it takes is one good game from williams 

With Jones far superior ypc, i would counter all it takes is one good game from him.  Also, more probable.

8 minutes ago, David Aames said:

all it takes is one good game from williams 

Agreed...but we're already two games in.