smeeze

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Clement is easily a better back to own than Jones. I haven't been keeping up with Powell. Ajayi nursing an injury right now as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

So according to Silva (who bumped Williams wayyy up his RB rankings), Williams has "ran away with the starting job".  Seems like an exaggeration considering he hasn't really done much of anything this preseason, and has been nursing some injury issues of his own.

 

McCarthy's recent statements are worrisome, but also just sound like typical coach-speak leading up to the opener.  

 

How are you guys feeling as Jones as a potential sleeper worth stashing on your bench?  Still feel the same or would that lottery ticket be better spent on other RBs like Brieda, Bilal Powell, Clement, etc...

 

Watching the dress rehearsal last week, Jets beat team seemed to look at the Crowell and Powell situation as an 50/50 committee. Coach even came out and said that they would ride hot hand. I would like him better at this point. I think you still keep an eye on this situation in GB running back situation though. They will have a better offense and score more points so you definitely want to get a part of that if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 sites, 1 including The beat writer for the packers, says he may be cut. 

 

MM talking up Williams a lot and they have a couple other guys competing. 

 

I would say it’s 50/50 actually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PackerBacker555 said:

2 sites, 1 including The beat writer for the packers, says he may be cut. 

 

MM talking up Williams a lot and they have a couple other guys competing. 

 

I would say it’s 50/50 actually

 

You have links to those sites, sir? Not doubting you, just want to read up on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://lombardiave.com/2018/08/28/packers-53-man-roster-predictions-final-preseason/2/

Running backs (4)

Jamaal Williams, Ty Montgomery, Devante Mays, Aaron Ripkowski

Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery will receive the bulk of the carries at running back while Aaron Jones is out for the opening two games due to suspension. Devante Mays was back at practice on Monday, according to Zach Kruse of Packers Wire. For now, I have him beginning the season as the third running back.

He’ll need to play well in the final preseason game and when given an opportunity during the regular season to keep his spot once Jones returns.

Williams will likely be the starter to begin the season, and if he plays well, could continue to be the Packers’ featured back for the remainder of the year. He has an excellent opportunity in the opening two games.

 

They don't actually go out and say he will be cut but they also don't include him.

 

To clarify, I'm just quoting, I'm not saying. I thought Jones clearly earned his roster spot last season (and I was the guy who owned TyMo).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jccouger said:

 

You have links to those sites, sir? Not doubting you, just want to read up on it. 

 

17 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

That is some horse**** speculating, if true.  

 

I’m eagerly anticipating those links.  A 24 hour google search produces nada.

 

8 minutes ago, KRB80 said:

Count me in as interested to read 'em as well.

Guys, these are both speculating and as a fan, I too think he’s 50/50 to make the 53. I like him as a player but the suspension, his second one, may not be sitting well. Note, both are speculating and guessing on the 53. They would use on the PS

 

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-training-camp-2018/2018/8/28/17790392/packers-2018-roster-prediction-guessing-the-53-before-the-preseason-finale

 

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/45487/green-bay-packers-53-man-roster-projection-final-cuts-2018

 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/08/27/packers-notes-devante-mays-has-let-fly-final-exhibition/1115667002/

—- Devante Mays is the wildcard. He was hurt though. Also, they want to keep plenty WRs. Trevor Davis for whatever reason may get the nod over injured Jake Kumerow. If the keep both, they may cut down on the rbs. 

 

 

I think jones should make the 53 and looked good last year, but you just never know

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

https://lombardiave.com/2018/08/28/packers-53-man-roster-predictions-final-preseason/2/

Running backs (4)

Jamaal Williams, Ty Montgomery, Devante Mays, Aaron Ripkowski

Jamaal Williams and Ty Montgomery will receive the bulk of the carries at running back while Aaron Jones is out for the opening two games due to suspension. Devante Mays was back at practice on Monday, according to Zach Kruse of Packers Wire. For now, I have him beginning the season as the third running back.

He’ll need to play well in the final preseason game and when given an opportunity during the regular season to keep his spot once Jones returns.

Williams will likely be the starter to begin the season, and if he plays well, could continue to be the Packers’ featured back for the remainder of the year. He has an excellent opportunity in the opening two games.

 

They don't actually go out and say he will be cut but they also don't include him.

 

To clarify, I'm just quoting, I'm not saying. I thought Jones clearly earned his roster spot last season (and I was the guy who owned TyMo).

I mean duh...it's the opening roster and he's exempt from it for the first 2 weeks. Way to totally misread, lolz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s suspended for the first two games- that’s why he wasn’t included in the initial 53.  He’s nowhere close to being considered as a cut.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does a suspended player count toward the 53-man roster?  It seems like those predictions aren't saying that Jones doesn't make the team but that others may make it temporarily because Jones is suspended.  

 

Edit:  Just as I suspected.

Edited by KRB80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This backfield is the same mess as last year.

You won't know when to start him. 

 

When you don't, you'll regret it.

When you do, you'll regret it.

 

I had Williams AND Jones on my bench last year.  Oh, HELL NO!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miss read, sorry. Forgot he didn’t count because of suspension. 

 

they like Williams and know TY can’t handle a workload. 

 

This backfield will probably be a committe/ hot hand approach anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Miss read, sorry. Forgot he didn’t count because of suspension. 

 

they like Williams and know TY can’t handle a workload. 

 

This backfield will probably be a committe/ hot hand approach anyways. 

 

It's all good, I can understand the confusion. 

 

I still think Williams will be the back to own & provide good week to week value as long as healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jccouger said:

 

It's all good, I can understand the confusion. 

 

I still think Williams will be the back to own & provide good week to week value as long as healthy. 

Williams should be okay

montgomery is a wild card. I have no idea what they plan with him. Trevor Davis will he kept basically for his special teams play. Kumerow has a good camp and preseason but got hurt. They will have a decision there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was uninspired by Williams last season. He's also already proven that he's susceptible to injury, something I feel is being overlooked. The Williams hype, both this season and last has been pre-season and offseason stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones is the best runner on the Packers.

Montgomery is the best pass catching back on the Packers.

Williams is a better runner than Montgomery and better receiver than Jones. Basically a jack of all trades and a master of none. 

 

I remember reading somewhere that the Packers were planning on moving Montgomery back to receiver in the off season until Jones was suspended. I'm not sure if those rumors were coming from the Packers or just speculation by writers. I wonder if there is a chance that Montgomery is transitioned back to WR when Jones comes back.

 

I don't think Williams is anything more than a backup level talent at the NFL level. Jones on the other hand has the talent to be an above average NFL runner if he can get his head on straight. However, I fear that Jones will not get a chance to show that unless there is another Williams injury.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, munde53 said:

Jones is the best runner on the Packers.

Montgomery is the best pass catching back on the Packers.

Williams is a better runner than Montgomery and better receiver than Jones. Basically a jack of all trades and a master of none. 

 

I remember reading somewhere that the Packers were planning on moving Montgomery back to receiver in the off season until Jones was suspended. I'm not sure if those rumors were coming from the Packers or just speculation by writers. I wonder if there is a chance that Montgomery is transitioned back to WR when Jones comes back.

 

I don't think Williams is anything more than a backup level talent at the NFL level. Jones on the other hand has the talent to be an above average NFL runner if he can get his head on straight. However, I fear that Jones will not get a chance to show that unless there is another Williams injury.

 

 

You don't anticipate he'll mix in once he returns from suspension?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After acquiring a healthy amount of shares of both Jones and Williams shares I spent time studying both of their tape last year and Jones is an extremely talented and very impressive runner. I agree with the poster above me that noted Williams is a solid versatile back but nothing really jumped off the screen. I have to imagine had Jones not been suspended he'd be the starting RB. I think he's among the most talented RBs with similar ADPs. I like the upside on my bench a lot. Whether a Williams injury or he ends up seizing the job he could yield a massive return. I'd much rather my bench be comprised of players like him that could potentially surface as a high end starter down the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Jones not making the roster talk is for the birds. He’s the best running back on their roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones (5.53 ypc) ran circles around Williams (3.63 ypc) and Ty mont (3.85 ypc). However, Ty Mont had a 5.94 ypc in those first few weeks when he was a workhorse back. That is the power of having Aaron Rodgers on your team and with the volume that Ty Mont saw this is a very intriguing position. I don't doubt Jones is a much better runner than Williams but I think it'll be tough to wrestle the role away from him cause Rodgers will make him look good and with his pass blocking he'll probably keep Rodgers happy. Ty Mont probably isn't going anywhere either. 

 

It makes sense for Packers to mix them all in since they all bring something different to the table and all 3 struggled with injuries when they were tried to be made a workhorse. That being said if one of the RBs was going to be made into a workhorse back I think Jones would be the best one/ has the highest upside. That probably makes him worth a flier and with rumors of Cobb being traded/cut Ty Mont could go back to be a WR and open up the backfield more. Even in a 1A/1B situation with Williams and Jones I'll go with Jones who has more wiggle and can likely provide value without needing 20+ touches per game like Williams. 

Edited by Jaw1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jmausen said:

This backfield is the same mess as last year.

You won't know when to start him. 

 

When you don't, you'll regret it.

When you do, you'll regret it.

 

I had Williams AND Jones on my bench last year.  Oh, HELL NO!

 

Mess last year???

 

Montgomery for 4 games until he gets hurt.

19-54 1 TD, 4-39

10-35 1 TD, 6-75 1 TD

12-35, 8-15

5-28(got hurt)

 

Jones

19-125 1 TD, 1-9

13-41, 1-1

17-131-1 TD, 3-7

5-12, 2- -1 (got hurt)

 

Williams

20-67, 1-2

18-57, 4-38

21-66 1 TD, 4-69 1 TD

21-113 1 TD, 2-10

15-49 1 TD, 7-69 1 TD

10-30, 0

15-58, 0

22-82, 3-31

 

i'm not familiar with 2 or 4 man leagues but if you sat Jones and Williams last year you clearly play in a 2 or 4 man league or are a fool. When Jones is lead back start him, when Jones is hurt and Williams is lead back start him.

 

Those numbers there (just those) off the top of my head via a podcast provided 8 of 16 top 12 RB perfomances and the grand total would have finished as the 7th RB. So not must start in your 2 and 4 man leagues but pretty useful for us who play in 12 man leagues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, turner46 said:

 

Mess last year???

 

Montgomery for 4 games until he gets hurt.

19-54 1 TD, 4-39

10-35 1 TD, 6-75 1 TD

12-35, 8-15

5-28(got hurt)

 

Jones

19-125 1 TD, 1-9

13-41, 1-1

17-131-1 TD, 3-7

5-12, 2- -1 (got hurt)

 

Williams

20-67, 1-2

18-57, 4-38

21-66 1 TD, 4-69 1 TD

21-113 1 TD, 2-10

15-49 1 TD, 7-69 1 TD

10-30, 0

15-58, 0

22-82, 3-31

 

i'm not familiar with 2 or 4 man leagues but if you sat Jones and Williams last year you clearly play in a 2 or 4 man league or are a fool. When Jones is lead back start him, when Jones is hurt and Williams is lead back start him.

 

Those numbers there (just those) off the top of my head via a podcast provided 8 of 16 top 12 RB perfomances and the grand total would have finished as the 7th RB. So not must start in your 2 and 4 man leagues but pretty useful for us who play in 12 man leagues.

 

 

i've played in a competitive 12 team league last year and its completely possible what he said ..

i had aaron jones and jamal williams on my bench ... both were picked on waivers as the season progressed... my rbs were melvin gordon and mccoy and my flex mark ingram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...